Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 09:04 AM
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/14/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/14/2004
Compare
jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Indian Minister raises visa issues with US

I saw following news article in Hindustan Times. It is not clear whether Indian minister is talking about green cards or (only) H1B.
US visas pose appallingly pervasive problem: official- Hindustan Times

A day after India raised the issue of visas for Indian professionals and skilled workers, a senior US official acknowledged that visas posed an "appallingly pervasive problem" in science and technology cooperation.

"Visas have been an appallingly pervasive problem in science and technology cooperation," said Dr John P Holdren, advisor to the US president on science and technology, on Thursday.

"We need to streamline visa procedures and we have made considerable achievements already in the Obama administration," Holdren said at the inauguration of first US-India Joint Commission on Science and Technology Cooperation.

Indian Minister of State for Science and Technology Prithviraj Chavan, who is leading the Indian team, said the coming together of the US and India, one a very large economy and the other poised to become one, would have great bearing on the future.

"The commitment of our two leaders in building knowledge society, without a doubt, is at a level never seen before," he said. "For the relationship to be meaningful, it has to be a mutually beneficial arrangement, with a win win situation."

The present day challenges of water, food security, food, climate change or threat to national security can only be addressed through science and technology and through cooperation between willing partners, Chavan said.

Science and technology plays a key role in addressing the challenges being faced by both India and the US, Holdren said noting the two countries have already accomplished a lot through their cooperation in the field of science and technology.

Holdren's acknowledgement of the problems with the US visa regime came a day after Indian Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma raised the issue in a meeting with the US Secretary of Commerce Gary Locke.

Highlighting India's concerns, he emphasised the need for an active dialogue with the end objective of launching negotiations on a Totalisation Agreement. He pointed out that due to the absence of such an agreement, Indian companies in the US were making double payments of social security, without getting any benefits.

Sharma also highlighted India's concerns on the US export control regime as applicable to India and sought their early removal prior to President Barack Obama's visit to India in November.

He also sought US support for India's membership of multilateral export control regimes and emphasised the need for pruning of the US entity list to remove Indian government entities.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2010, 01:01 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/14/2007
Compare
vedicman has a reputation beyond repute vedicman has a reputation beyond repute vedicman has a reputation beyond repute vedicman has a reputation beyond repute vedicman has a reputation beyond repute vedicman has a reputation beyond repute vedicman has a reputation beyond repute vedicman has a reputation beyond repute vedicman has a reputation beyond repute vedicman has a reputation beyond repute vedicman has a reputation beyond repute

Should contact Hindustan Times and ask for clarification on this - was the minister seeking answers for H1B or for green cards or both?

Old 06-25-2010, 01:19 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/27/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute
Default about H1's

Its usually H1 visas , GC is not a visa its a residency

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedicman View Post
Should contact Hindustan Times and ask for clarification on this - was the minister seeking answers for H1B or for green cards or both?

Donated to IV

Old 06-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Compare
sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute
Default sounds like work visa!

sounds more related to work visa.
They are bringing up the issues to favour local support (rather local outsourcing companies ? ) and enhancements, so obviously its H1.
Why do they want to burn calories on behalf of Immigration visa numbers ?

Old 06-25-2010, 04:19 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute

isn't totalisation = bringing back SS benefits?

Old 06-25-2010, 08:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/28/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Minister asked for permission for issuing visas to employees of ISRO, DRDO, BARC and various high tech and science research organizations of India, which have been placed in prohibitive list so far by US.

Yes, minister also discussed about 'totalization' agreement for getting the SS money in India, incase one decides to leave US for good.

Reference: India asks US to remove ISRO, DRDO from banned list - dnaindia.com

Old 06-25-2010, 08:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute

It's h1 and l1. Always is. What concern is our GC to the government of india?
While visas are a direct benefit to outsourcing companies.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
abcdgc is a name known to all abcdgc is a name known to all abcdgc is a name known to all abcdgc is a name known to all abcdgc is a name known to all abcdgc is a name known to all

There should be no doubt, never was, that Indian government is at odds with Indians who come to America.

Indian government dances on the tunes of outsourcing companies. They are saying that people who come to US on H1 or L1 visas are temporary workers, and none of them should be given green cards. See below

Quote:
The Indian side has been arguing that Indian IT professionals are temporary workers and not immigrants.
Source: India Flags Its Concerns Over H1-B Visas With U.S. - Page 3

How often does any government work against the interest of its million citizens living in a foreign country?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungalee43 View Post
I saw following news article in Hindustan Times. It is not clear whether Indian minister is talking about green cards or (only) H1B.
US visas pose appallingly pervasive problem: official- Hindustan Times

A day after India raised the issue of visas for Indian professionals and skilled workers, a senior US official acknowledged that visas posed an "appallingly pervasive problem" in science and technology cooperation.

"Visas have been an appallingly pervasive problem in science and technology cooperation," said Dr John P Holdren, advisor to the US president on science and technology, on Thursday.

"We need to streamline visa procedures and we have made considerable achievements already in the Obama administration," Holdren said at the inauguration of first US-India Joint Commission on Science and Technology Cooperation.

Indian Minister of State for Science and Technology Prithviraj Chavan, who is leading the Indian team, said the coming together of the US and India, one a very large economy and the other poised to become one, would have great bearing on the future.

"The commitment of our two leaders in building knowledge society, without a doubt, is at a level never seen before," he said. "For the relationship to be meaningful, it has to be a mutually beneficial arrangement, with a win win situation."

The present day challenges of water, food security, food, climate change or threat to national security can only be addressed through science and technology and through cooperation between willing partners, Chavan said.

Science and technology plays a key role in addressing the challenges being faced by both India and the US, Holdren said noting the two countries have already accomplished a lot through their cooperation in the field of science and technology.

Holdren's acknowledgement of the problems with the US visa regime came a day after Indian Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma raised the issue in a meeting with the US Secretary of Commerce Gary Locke.

Highlighting India's concerns, he emphasised the need for an active dialogue with the end objective of launching negotiations on a Totalisation Agreement. He pointed out that due to the absence of such an agreement, Indian companies in the US were making double payments of social security, without getting any benefits.

Sharma also highlighted India's concerns on the US export control regime as applicable to India and sought their early removal prior to President Barack Obama's visit to India in November.

He also sought US support for India's membership of multilateral export control regimes and emphasised the need for pruning of the US entity list to remove Indian government entities.