Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/27/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/20/2007
Compare
mirchiseth has much to be proud of mirchiseth has much to be proud of mirchiseth has much to be proud of mirchiseth has much to be proud of mirchiseth has much to be proud of mirchiseth has much to be proud of mirchiseth has much to be proud of mirchiseth has much to be proud of mirchiseth has much to be proud of
Default The incredible children of the H1-B visa

Interesting blog post at - Does that make any sense?: The incredible children of the H1-B visa

Since Charles Schumer is spreading malicious nonsense about "chop shops" using H1-B visas, I think this is an appropriate time to revisit the fact that the H1-B visa produces an incomprehensibly large fraction of America's young math and science superstars.

Stuart Anderson tallied the numbers several years ago in a report appropriately titled The Multiplier Effect. Key quote (emphasis mine):
Seven of the top 10 award winners at the 2004 Intel Science Talent Search were immigrants or their children. (In 2003, three of the top four awardees were foreign-born.) In fact, in the 2004 Intel Science Talent Search, more children (18) have parents who entered the country on H-1B (professional) visas than parents born in the United States (16). To place this finding in perspective, note that new H-1B visa holders each year represent less than 0.04 percent of the U.S. population, illustrating the substantial gain in human capital that the United States receives from the entry of these individuals and their offspring.
This isn't some fluke of the Intel contest. For the U.S. Math Olympiad—the country's premier mathematics competition for high school students—Anderson finds:
Among the top scorers of the 2004 U.S. Math Olympiad, 65 percent (13 of 20) were the children of immigrants. A remarkable 50 percent were born outside of the United States (10 of 20)...

More of the Math Olympiad top scorers have parents who received H-1B visas (10) than parents born in the United States (7).
At the highest levels of competition, the tiny fraction of high school students whose parents came to the United States via the H1-B visa do better than the entire population with American-born parents. This program is a really, really big deal.

Even supposing that high school contests overstate the fraction of children of immigrants (whose parents are perhaps more likely to push them at that stage) among the nation's scientific elite, the H1-B visa is responsible for enormous percentage of our future top scientists. Maybe the bias is a factor of four—but then this one small program alone will still give us 12%.

Yet the number of H1-B visas each year remains capped at 65,000, and thanks to our bizarre system of per-country limits, the EB-2 green card (to which the H1-B often leads) is backlogged to 2006 for applicants from China and India. The EB-3 is backlogged to 2002! Why should fixing this antiquated system wait until "comprehensive immigration reform"?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:00 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of

good find !
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote