Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 02:18 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/13/2011
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute
Default correct dude :)

I worked for a MNC here in first few yrs at US (from 2000) and they suck up your Tax return , used to give a worthless health insurance and 'sweat shop' ( this probably a worse word than 'chop shop') like allowance for 12-14 hrs of work . If you do NOT accept that or ASK QUESTION your flight tickets back to origin to will be arranged. I know these practices changed to some extent over a period of time but by that time I left them and started doing things on my own ... and i'm very happy since then.

Another thing , I worked for good but medium sized consulting firms with US after leaving those shops ( sweat/chop/body whatever kind u call them) and they do maintain perfect balance - hardly 30-40% is H1B - they pay market salary to the H1B's ,standard health insurance , always got paid if i worked beyond 8-9 hrs ...

Lot of folks are like me within the community ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snathan View Post
Not true. Whatever they can outsource, its already gone. There are certain position where the clients demand onsite resource. I am not supporting this bill in anyway, I hate infy as much as I hate this bill. Remember these companies did not leave any stone unturned, milked the client every possible way and expoilted the employees to the maximum extent. In one another post - VLDRao was saying these companies does the tax filing on behalf the emoloyee, get the refund and again claim that tax in india using double taxation aoivdance treaty.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
SDdesi has much to be proud of SDdesi has much to be proud of SDdesi has much to be proud of SDdesi has much to be proud of SDdesi has much to be proud of SDdesi has much to be proud of SDdesi has much to be proud of SDdesi has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegallyGC View Post

2. Desi consulting companies here with more than 50 employees will split them selves into 2 or 3 companies of less than 50 employees and avoid the 2000$ extra fee...
LOL...such innovative thinking....

Old 08-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute
Default Some of my suggestions

Pappu, I agree what you are saying. But the bigger issue here is the awareness.. I talk to so many friends and friend's friend. The only thing that I find is they are not aware of IV or its effort.
Lack of awareness is another issue for IV community to form a lobby group like others.
IV has too many contacts in the media, would that not be a great idea to leverage them to advertise at prime time on Indian channels , or just the google ads on Dishnetwork screen for cheap or work out something.

Just to get the people an awareness of what IV is and get them a feeling that its BIG enough to help them. Support some candidates in the election, just to get the name floating. Leave aside the American, Indians or chinese(mostly the legal immigrants) I sometime work with don't know anything about IV. I go to SFO meet my parents almost every month and my brother's circle (all citizens) have no idea of what I am talking about. All they know there was problem is Labor clearance in their time which is no more now.
What is IV , who is IV........ no idea at all. NADA.
A planned campaign to make th awareness can help our cause.

Just my 1 cent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappu View Post
To answer your question: Indian companies in India or Indian politicians complaining will not do much impact. After passing this bill politicians will cosy up and say good things to rebuild relations. The real impact can happen if Indians in New York state who can vote stand up against such laws. Same goes for the Desi companies who have tried to raise the voice against USCIS memo. They lack grassroots advocacy and support. Their Indian US citizen friends are busy organizing Diwali melas and Shahrukh Khan stage shows. Immigration voice can be extremely successful if politicians see us as an immigrant lobby. Just like they see Jewish lobby or Hispanic lobby. This is why participation of IV greencard members and citizen friends is important to advocate for changes that helps the immigrant community. I this case too, IV community should not turn a blind eye to what happens around us. Just because we do not work for such companies or we already have EAD does not mean we do not see beyond the headline of this issue. We spend more time analyzing , over analyzing, predicting and tracking rather than actively understanding the politics of issues that are causing all the problems we are facing. To some extent this law passed because Indians in USA did not care due to their narrow outlook and priorities in politics.

Support HR-3012 and Support Fairness!

Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Contribute | HR3012 Wiki

Info on Rally | Accommodation | Air Miles | Carpool | Merchandize | Posters | Volunteers

--------------------------
Result for psaxena:
Your position is 53193 in the Green Card Queue based on your Country of Chargeability "India", Priority Date "Aug-06" and Category "EB3" .
Your Expected Date of Adjudication is Sep, 2028.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-09
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
satyasrd has a brilliant future satyasrd has a brilliant future satyasrd has a brilliant future satyasrd has a brilliant future satyasrd has a brilliant future satyasrd has a brilliant future satyasrd has a brilliant future satyasrd has a brilliant future satyasrd has a brilliant future satyasrd has a brilliant future satyasrd has a brilliant future

We all know that these IT companies/ "body shops" will not bear the brunt of this.
It is always the employees who will get distressed. Large organizations will quietly offshore more jobs while smaller ones will charge this from the employee, legal or not.

I pity those who think this will create more jobs for Americans. They are truly ignorant of how the system works.

And like most of you already mentioned, it's funny how a small group (few thousand) of legal immigrants are targeted while millions of illegals (and the companies that hire them) are going untouched !

Old 08-12-2010, 02:22 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostrated View Post
My wife works in a company where a good number of IT folks are staffed by INFY. The poor quality of work made the company think about not extending INFY's contract. But then it came out in the open that there was no documentation on how the applications were built, etc. INFY got wind of this, and now they have positioned themselves in the organization where without them, this company's IT would collapse.

There are many such stories of outsourcing firms that are holding client companies hostage. Though I do not agree with the bill, I think the bill brings back some ethics into play. Especially the L1 loophole.
This is more of the client company's fault than Infys. It is upto the client to demand documentation for all the stuff Infy does. Infy will happily do that.

I used to work for an Indian IT firm in India in 1998 where our client was a major corporation here. The client used to demand so much documentation and follow stringent procedures that we were spending most of our time in documenting and following the procedures than doing the real work. This company did this happily without complaining. Client made sure that no company can hijack them.

So it is more of a management issue at client company in this case.

BTW many employees use this technique for their job security.

Last edited by gc28262; 08-12-2010 at 02:29 PM.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
asdfred has much to be proud of asdfred has much to be proud of asdfred has much to be proud of asdfred has much to be proud of asdfred has much to be proud of asdfred has much to be proud of asdfred has much to be proud of asdfred has much to be proud of asdfred has much to be proud of

they are not approving h1s for consulting companies anyway
2k more is not back breaking..the attitude and the politics of it are disturbing
*edit

Last edited by asdfred; 08-12-2010 at 02:35 PM.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/20/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/10/2007
Compare
jelo is just really nice jelo is just really nice jelo is just really nice jelo is just really nice
Default Politics

Political leaders are same in every country and this is to appease the very vocal anti H1b citizens. They could have done 100 different things, which would really help the citizens. When we tried to hire a Hyperion report developer on a short term project, 45 of the 50 resumes were from Indians. Other 5 resumes we chose to interview were ridiculously unrelated. This scenario will leave the company to outsource the complete project, which also eliminates other 5, 6 surrounding non specific tech/non tech jobs. He misleads the congress saying purpose of H1b is to invent the products which is really to keep the sufficient pool of specialty skilled people for the businesses. This bill is certainly short cited.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Compare
sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute

doin the math...

200Million / 2k = 125k H1 employees that will fall in 50-50 rule?

Is that a realistic number? does body shop based consulting companies have that many employees?

If thats not right , that bill is just waste on their efforts ? huh?

Old 08-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/08/2007
Compare
buddhaas has a reputation beyond repute buddhaas has a reputation beyond repute buddhaas has a reputation beyond repute buddhaas has a reputation beyond repute buddhaas has a reputation beyond repute buddhaas has a reputation beyond repute buddhaas has a reputation beyond repute buddhaas has a reputation beyond repute buddhaas has a reputation beyond repute buddhaas has a reputation beyond repute buddhaas has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation

It includes H1s and L1s till 2014. So, It may be possible to cover $600 million.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
hydboy77 is a splendid one to behold hydboy77 is a splendid one to behold hydboy77 is a splendid one to behold hydboy77 is a splendid one to behold hydboy77 is a splendid one to behold hydboy77 is a splendid one to behold
Default misguided solution

aiming london shooting tokyo, thats exactly what this bill is doing. The vast majority of nonsense is created by small "con"sulting companies, i.e shell companies with less than 50 employees. Infact Schummer if he wanted a solution for h1b missue should have gone after these small "con"sulting companies rather than real multi national companies like infosys,tcs, wipro etc. I am not a fan of this bill but if you going to put restrictions on h1b do it the right way. it is these small "con"sulting companies with less than 50 employees that did illegal things like selling approved labor until using approved labor was abolished, it is these small "con"sulting companies which work on 80 20 model which are bringing disrepute to h1b and people working on h1b. by putting this rediculous rule which says only comapnies having more than 50 employess will be targetted by this law schummer inadvertently is encouraging the setup of more "con"sulting companies. The vast majority of green cards issued in the last 5 years (may be as hight as 80% of green cards) have been issued to the "con"sultants" working in these "con"sulting companies. People working in fortune 500 companies abide by all rules like it is the job responsibily which determines eb1, eb2 or eb3 and not your educational qualifications and therefore i have seen phd recepients applying in eb3 whereas the "con"sultants working in these "con"sulting companies who have sometimes b.sc bcom or btech degrees applying in eb2 by faking experience to show 5 years requirement, they work in SAP but they advertise the position as someone needing java or any programming experience. this is outright lying, how can people working in fortune 500 and legitemate companies complete with these "con"sultants and these "con"sulting companies with less than 50 employees for green cards.

For green card reform the biggest culprit is per country limit\quota, the above issue is small compared to the country quota but it still needs to be solved.

before somebody says illogical things like crab dragging another crab down etc etc, let me tell you something all i am saying is everybody should play by the rules, "con"sulting companies especially with less than 50 employees and the "con"sultants who work there are the ones which have brought disrepute to the h1b profession by indulging in labor selling and buying, applying for eb1, eb2 irrespective of job requirements and flouting the rules, for the most part big It majors infy, wipro etc did not indulge in these illegal activities.

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/13/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold

I dont understand how can the senator think it will solve anything as far as giving a job to a US citizen is concerned..
We all know how these H1 dependent companies work.
they will charge this 2K increase to the H1 employee(directly or indirectly)
and do you think someone who wants to make it to the US will mind if he gets 48K instead of 50K per year?

Chapter : WA

ATTENDED DC RALLY
Contacted Law-makers
Contributed $275 so far
Brought 3 new contributing members to IV

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute
Default Enough of pros and cons of the bill

My guess is that we have discussed enough about the bill. Next in the line is the dream act for children of undocumented immigrants. Do we want to have a campaign to add children of legal immigrants to the bill or we want to only discuss the implications about the act, once it is passed by house and senate.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/10/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydboy77 View Post
aiming london shooting tokyo, thats exactly what this bill is doing. The vast majority of nonsense is created by small "con"sulting companies, i.e shell companies with less than 50 employees. Infact Schummer if he wanted a solution for h1b missue should have gone after these small "con"sulting companies rather than real multi national companies like infosys,tcs, wipro etc. I am not a fan of this bill but if you going to put restrictions on h1b do it the right way. it is these small "con"sulting companies with less than 50 employees that did illegal things like selling approved labor until using approved labor was abolished, it is these small "con"sulting companies which work on 80 20 model which are bringing disrepute to h1b and people working on h1b. by putting this rediculous rule which says only comapnies having more than 50 employess will be targetted by this law schummer inadvertently is encouraging the setup of more "con"sulting companies. The vast majority of green cards issued in the last 5 years (may be as hight as 80% of green cards) have been issued to the "con"sultants" working in these "con"sulting companies. People working in fortune 500 companies abide by all rules like it is the job responsibily which determines eb1, eb2 or eb3 and not your educational qualifications and therefore i have seen phd recepients applying in eb3 whereas the "con"sultants working in these "con"sulting companies who have sometimes b.sc bcom or btech degrees applying in eb2 by faking experience to show 5 years requirement, they work in SAP but they advertise the position as someone needing java or any programming experience. this is outright lying, how can people working in fortune 500 and legitemate companies complete with these "con"sultants and these "con"sulting companies with less than 50 employees for green cards.

For green card reform the biggest culprit is per country limit\quota, the above issue is small compared to the country quota but it still needs to be solved.

before somebody says illogical things like crab dragging another crab down etc etc, let me tell you something all i am saying is everybody should play by the rules, "con"sulting companies especially with less than 50 employees and the "con"sultants who work there are the ones which have brought disrepute to the h1b profession by indulging in labor selling and buying, applying for eb1, eb2 irrespective of job requirements and flouting the rules, for the most part big It majors infy, wipro etc did not indulge in these illegal activities.
Do not generalise all consulting companies...At least people working in these consulting companies sponsored GC and buying house and spending their money here. Most of the fradulent GC process was done by these croocked indian companies. They exploited the EB1C system to the maximum extend. Most of the times, they are not filing the GC and keep the employees as slaves or they exploit the EB1c fo their boot lickers.

3 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/17/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute

yawnnnnnnnn...... i'm waiting for someone to start attacking & blaming others for this...... something like andra v/s tamil or north v/s south india fight..... when r we going to start that..... i'm ready with a box of popcorn to enjoy that "debate"..... lets add some masala to this.... otherwise its boring.....

0 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Compare
sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute

if the 2k fee is passed over to H1 employee, then , her/his quality of life is further compromised to degrad ( in this economy as pay hike is tough ). That means more cheap labor and more competition to locals ( if thats how senator see h1 are low paid than locals )