Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 09:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts
Default Reid adds controversial immigration measure to defense bill

Washington (CNN) - Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Tuesday he will add the DREAM Act, a controversial immigration measure, to a defense policy bill the Senate will take up next week.

The decision means the defense bill, which often passes with bipartisan support, will be home to two major, thorny political issues the other being the repeal of the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

Reid called the DREAM Act "really important" and said it should be passed because it provides a path to citizenship for young illegal immigrants who go to college or serve in the military. DREAM is an acronym for Development, Relief and Education of Alien Minors Act.

"I know we can't do comprehensive immigration reform," Reid said at a news conference. "But those Republicans we had in the last Congress have left us."

Many Hispanic voters are angry with Democratic leaders for not doing more to pass an immigration overhaul. The decision by Reid to add the DREAM Act now could help soothe that anger.

Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell called Reid's decision "needlessly controversial."
The Senate will need 60 votes to take up the bill next week, and Reid said Tuesday he doesn't know if he has enough votes.

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Reid adds controversial immigration measure to defense bill - Blogs from CNN.com
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2010, 12:53 AM
Priority Date
:
May-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
MDix has a reputation beyond repute MDix has a reputation beyond repute MDix has a reputation beyond repute MDix has a reputation beyond repute MDix has a reputation beyond repute MDix has a reputation beyond repute MDix has a reputation beyond repute MDix has a reputation beyond repute MDix has a reputation beyond repute MDix has a reputation beyond repute MDix has a reputation beyond repute

IV CORE can we push for EB recapture or something like that. This is the golden opportunity
to attach EB related stuff, and it will pass 100%, as the focus of this bill would be illegal youths.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:55 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rodnyb has a reputation beyond repute rodnyb has a reputation beyond repute rodnyb has a reputation beyond repute rodnyb has a reputation beyond repute rodnyb has a reputation beyond repute rodnyb has a reputation beyond repute rodnyb has a reputation beyond repute rodnyb has a reputation beyond repute rodnyb has a reputation beyond repute rodnyb has a reputation beyond repute rodnyb has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if they add quota for them, or use some of the FB/EB?
Can they use recaptured numbers?
This is not good for EB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDix View Post
IV CORE can we push for EB recapture or something like that. This is the golden opportunity
to attach EB related stuff, and it will pass 100%, as the focus of this bill would be illegal youths.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:22 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/02/2002
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
03/03/2003
Compare
yagw is a splendid one to behold yagw is a splendid one to behold yagw is a splendid one to behold yagw is a splendid one to behold yagw is a splendid one to behold yagw is a splendid one to behold yagw is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge_hammer View Post
Washington (CNN) - Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Tuesday he will add the DREAM Act, a controversial immigration measure, to a defense policy bill the Senate will take up next week.

The decision means the defense bill, which often passes with bipartisan support, will be home to two major, thorny political issues the other being the repeal of the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

Reid called the DREAM Act "really important" and said it should be passed because it provides a path to citizenship for young illegal immigrants who go to college or serve in the military. DREAM is an acronym for Development, Relief and Education of Alien Minors Act.

"I know we can't do comprehensive immigration reform," Reid said at a news conference. "But those Republicans we had in the last Congress have left us."

Many Hispanic voters are angry with Democratic leaders for not doing more to pass an immigration overhaul. The decision by Reid to add the DREAM Act now could help soothe that anger.

Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell called Reid's decision "needlessly controversial."
The Senate will need 60 votes to take up the bill next week, and Reid said Tuesday he doesn't know if he has enough votes.

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Reid adds controversial immigration measure to defense bill - Blogs from CNN.com
Reid's blog:
Defense Authorization bill will address the DREAM Act and discrimination in the military (Sen. Harry Reid) - The Hill's Congress Blog

Old 09-15-2010, 08:03 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jun-09
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
cleopatra has a reputation beyond repute cleopatra has a reputation beyond repute cleopatra has a reputation beyond repute cleopatra has a reputation beyond repute cleopatra has a reputation beyond repute cleopatra has a reputation beyond repute cleopatra has a reputation beyond repute cleopatra has a reputation beyond repute cleopatra has a reputation beyond repute cleopatra has a reputation beyond repute cleopatra has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

We should work on getting the recapture and removing dependents from count along with this. If DREAM act alone passes, they will not touch immigration for another 3 to 5 years and will again try to club it with path to citizenship for the undocumented immigrants.

Time to get to work on getting some relief for legal immigrants too. There are lot of legal immigrants waiting for more than 5 years trying to get GC. They need some relief too.

Unless Reid backs off this amendment, we need to get united to get our provisions along with this bill. Or we will be waiting for few more years to start the cycle again.

IV Core -- Pls. suggest the next action steps.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:39 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-09
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ikass has a reputation beyond repute ikass has a reputation beyond repute ikass has a reputation beyond repute ikass has a reputation beyond repute ikass has a reputation beyond repute ikass has a reputation beyond repute ikass has a reputation beyond repute ikass has a reputation beyond repute ikass has a reputation beyond repute ikass has a reputation beyond repute ikass has a reputation beyond repute
Default add STEM provisions to DREAM Act

If the news today is true, IV CORE Team can we push to add STEM and other EB provisions to the DREAM Act. If this gets done alone I don`t think they will touch Immigration bill for next many months or years. PLEASE GUIDE US.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:07 AM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/12/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/02/2011
Compare
gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nothing will happen for EB community

I don't think any EB piecemeal bill can pass in this government. To me even its hard to find some one who can attach piecemeal for EB.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:22 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
pd052009 has a reputation beyond repute pd052009 has a reputation beyond repute pd052009 has a reputation beyond repute pd052009 has a reputation beyond repute pd052009 has a reputation beyond repute pd052009 has a reputation beyond repute pd052009 has a reputation beyond repute pd052009 has a reputation beyond repute pd052009 has a reputation beyond repute pd052009 has a reputation beyond repute pd052009 has a reputation beyond repute
Default visa recapture?

Can we get any of our Senators or Reps. to add Visa recapture with this bill? Should we start reaching our congress(wo)men regarding this?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:34 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/29/2012
Compare
smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd052009 View Post
Can we get any of our Senators or Reps. to add Visa recapture with this bill? Should we start reaching our congress(wo)men regarding this?
I'm glad you figured it out now. I have emailed TX sens 5-6 times on this in the past and it hasn't made it.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:48 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
mmk123 has a reputation beyond repute mmk123 has a reputation beyond repute mmk123 has a reputation beyond repute mmk123 has a reputation beyond repute mmk123 has a reputation beyond repute mmk123 has a reputation beyond repute mmk123 has a reputation beyond repute mmk123 has a reputation beyond repute mmk123 has a reputation beyond repute mmk123 has a reputation beyond repute mmk123 has a reputation beyond repute

I have NO issues with the DREAM act; I think it is one of the most agreeable, moderate versions of what conservatives brand as "amnesty".
My only concern is the beneficieries being put in front of line; when they should stand back in the line.

DREAM act has a good chance of passing and no one gives a damn about visa recapture bill. May moderate republican senators will be gone forever from this congress (either retiring or replaced by T-partiers in primaries); so last chance for them to do something significant.

IV, let's at least try to minimize the losses if we cannot gain any position. Else EB* mostly EB3 will suffer badly like it is since similar clinton yr decision.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:35 AM
Priority Date
:
May-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/06/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/01/2011
Compare
mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute

Can we do something for vias recapture? what are the options we have to approach visa recapture in this bill ?

Old 09-15-2010, 10:41 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/01/2011
Compare
aarora1979 has a spectacular aura about aarora1979 has a spectacular aura about
Default DREAM Act

I agree we should push for Visa recapture as well.

Guys how can we pursue this?

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:48 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/29/2012
Compare
smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarora1979 View Post
I agree we should push for Visa recapture as well.

Guys how can we pursue this?
I'm surprised when ppl say - we should pursue visa recapture. Hello, where have you been?

1 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:52 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/03/2011
Compare
belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggymba View Post
I'm surprised when ppl say - we should pursue visa recapture. Hello, where have you been?
He's been in deep freeze
somebody unlocked & defrosted him
485 approved on Jan 25,2012.
Physical cards received on Jan 30, 2012
one time contribution - 100$
one time contribution for April 2011 Advocacy days - 50$

Last edited by belmontboy; 09-15-2010 at 10:56 AM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jul-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/11/2012
Compare
coolngood4u80 has a reputation beyond repute coolngood4u80 has a reputation beyond repute coolngood4u80 has a reputation beyond repute coolngood4u80 has a reputation beyond repute coolngood4u80 has a reputation beyond repute coolngood4u80 has a reputation beyond repute coolngood4u80 has a reputation beyond repute coolngood4u80 has a reputation beyond repute coolngood4u80 has a reputation beyond repute coolngood4u80 has a reputation beyond repute coolngood4u80 has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a way all of us mail Reid and ask him to include visa re-capture?