Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 07:30 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute
Default President Obama declines using administrative action to push immigration reform

Obama declines using administrative action to push immigration reform
By Michael O'Brien

Excerpt:
President Obama suggested that he would not pursue reforms to the
immigration system through regulations or other administrative policies.

The president said it was important for immigration reform to go through
Congress, lest opponents of comprehensive reform use regulations as a
political opportunity.

"You know, it is a very difficult thing to do administratively, and because
we want comprehensive reform, and because we want the Dream Act, what we
don't want to do is give an excuse to the opposition to say, 'Obama's trying
to do an end-run around Congress,'" Obama
said during an interview on Telemundo ....

Obama has faced criticism from the Hispanic community for failing to follow
through on his pledge to reform the immigration system. He told members of
the Congressional Hispanic Caucus (CHC) last week, though, that he would not
"walk away" from reform, and called on Republicans to join him in passing
legislation.

But Republicans in the Senate have appeared unwilling to find middle ground
with the president over immigration. The Senate GOP has said it would oppose
including the Dream Act, a piece of immigration legislation favored by many
Democrats, in the Defense Authorization bill.

"It appears we're not going to get this done before the election," Obama
told Telemundo of the Dream Act. ...

"We've got to build a consensus around this country," said the president. "I
think we can."

For the full article:
Obama declines using administrative action to push immigration reform - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room
-administrative-action-to-reform-immigration

Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Mailing List

===================
I do not give legal advice. You can pay and get it from Lawyers. Just show me some love and click the links above to help ImmigrationVoice any way you choose.
-----------
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/29/2012
Compare
smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute

Obama got his Aunt asylum and a 700 dollar per month allowance along with public housing even after she illegally stayed here for the last 10 years. Why should he be worried about legals?

Obama's aunt says US has "obligation" to grant her citizenship

Old 09-22-2010, 11:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute

There is only one that can help legals: It's the media

Someone needs to highlight the points of difference between legals and illegals regarding how they are being treated

Sometimes I feel all forms of lobbying counter-productive, as our "friends" are not strong/noisy enough. It would be better if a loud anti-illegal compares legals and illegals. It could be anyone, even Hannity

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:45 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lip service

Mr. President, pls. stop lip service.. Anti immigrants doesn't vote for you in 2012 even if you deport all 12 Million illegals and stop all immigration..

Get to know your friends..

Old 09-23-2010, 09:39 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Obama is the President of the USA

Lest you forget, he is the President for the anti-immigrants too. His job is to uphold the constitution, not to do stuff to get re-elected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbkris77 View Post
Mr. President, pls. stop lip service.. Anti immigrants doesn't vote for you in 2012 even if you deport all 12 Million illegals and stop all immigration..

Get to know your friends..

Old 09-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/25/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/10/2007
Compare
jediknight is a splendid one to behold jediknight is a splendid one to behold jediknight is a splendid one to behold jediknight is a splendid one to behold jediknight is a splendid one to behold jediknight is a splendid one to behold jediknight is a splendid one to behold
Default Obama's problem is trying to figure what his role is

From a Constitution standpoint, Obama believes the Congress should pass the law and his executive branch will implement it.

Unfortunately, thanks to the filibuster, the senate is broken and nothing important has gotten passed. The Health care bill was watered down to make it almost useless.

He seems to forget that he also has a role of a leader to move the country in the right direction even if it may be unpopular.

There are issues that have over 60% support (eg. Don't ask Don't tell, Legal immigration issues, Energy tax credit, etc.) that he can support via executive orders but refuses to do so from a standpoint of the Constitution.

So, we are at
  • the Left are frustrated because he has abandoned their core issues
  • the Independents are frustrated because of the Job market and benefits from Health care won't kick in till 2012, etc.
  • the very small moderate right does not like him because of differences in policies
  • the rest of extreme right hates him since they think he was born in Kenya or black guy should not be the president.

It will be interesting to see what this election changes

- JK

Old 09-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ravi98 has a reputation beyond repute ravi98 has a reputation beyond repute ravi98 has a reputation beyond repute ravi98 has a reputation beyond repute ravi98 has a reputation beyond repute ravi98 has a reputation beyond repute ravi98 has a reputation beyond repute ravi98 has a reputation beyond repute ravi98 has a reputation beyond repute ravi98 has a reputation beyond repute ravi98 has a reputation beyond repute

There are so many things that needs fixing that there is always some group that is dissatisfied with the administration.
Second, even after having taught constitutional law and sticking by the constitution, he is charged with violating the constitution! And movements like "taking back our country" rallies are held - taking the country back from whom? taking the country back to which century? He has to even circumvent appointing people to head agencies to avoid republican stonewalling!
Third, if Obama's popularity was high, one can accuse him of trying to do nothing to keep his approval ratings up. But that is not the case. His approval ratings are low..

By saying this, I am not saying that he has done everything right. But we need to know the ground realities instead of coming up with statements like he is not doing anything for us. He is stonewalled everywhere on every issue! For us to bring our issues to the forefront, as some one suggested, we need to get the media to understand our problems and ask the right questions. It all boils down to us being active!!

Old 09-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/17/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute

i don't have my gc yet..... it must be obama's fault..... what is he doing??..... is he the only sitting on my application?...... maybe he is that he wants all illegals to get gc before my application is approved.......

this country will never appreciate what obama did in a short span of 2 years..... public memory is very short..... the economy was in a shit hole like never before...... country was going down the tube.... major financial institutions had failed.... others were on the verge of collapse and so was the economy..... this country was headed for a next great depression with 30 % 40% unemployment..... today some people are thankless and think they are in so much trouble with 10% unemployment for not being able to upgrade from 55inch led flat screen to 65 inch led flat screen 3-d tv..... in 2 years there has been a major turnaround.... but in this world of instant gratification..... most people have already forgotten where we all were 2 years back.....

no matter how much people hate bailouts, tarp and stimulus..... economist across the board agree with these measures....... in case we forgot.... here is a reminder from the architect and collapse in chief..... who argued, rather pleaded for bailout and tarp..... but now pee party blames obama for bailiouts and tarp.....

with economic depression... we should have kissed our gcs good buy forever..... now we r cursing obama for sitting on our gcs to favor illegals where as the truth is that administration was working on the admin fix and republicans got hold of the draft memo.... they deliberately leaked the memo resulting in replican senators and house members writing public letters in opposition of the admin fixes ending up in change in policy of not doing the admin fix..... and now people are again blaming obama for that.....

give this guy a chance..... it took 10 years to create the mess.... it will take more than 2 years to fix it..... try to look for more than just the media sound bites..... there is more to the real story than just the headlines.....

6 out of 10 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sasidhar79 is infamous around these parts sasidhar79 is infamous around these parts sasidhar79 is infamous around these parts sasidhar79 is infamous around these parts sasidhar79 is infamous around these parts
Default As expected

What do you think we should expect from a president who is "socially conservative" and "fiscally liberal".

I expected Obama to be another FDR, but I now feel he is very far from being FDR.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:23 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/17/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasidhar79 View Post
What do you think we should expect from a president who is "socially conservative" and "fiscally liberal".

I expected Obama to be another FDR, but I now feel he is very far from being FDR.
FDR had 8 years & over 55 years after his presidency to make his impression today..... u r judging obama with his first 2 years of his presidency....... where is fairness here?

previous administration created this situation where the economic cycle had literally stopped..... people were not spending money, banks were not giving loan, companies were not expanding/hiring, companies were laying off causing unemployment..... in such times economy needs fusion of cash so that there is enough money in rotation for the economy to continue before customers return and the economic cycle is back on track...... bush (as seen in the video), McCain or any other person would have done the exact same thing becoz there is no other way...... the only other option of not doing anything would have ended up with the country in economic depression....... then u would have blame obama for creating economic depression......

lets talk @ "fiscally liberal"..... darling of the right wing, george bush.... started two wars..... spending over 2 trillion dollars, gave 1.4 trillion dollar tax-cuts to the top 1% who are rich..... this is around $3.5 trillion dollars of unpaid spending taking this country into massive national debt...... and now u r blaming obama for being "fiscally liberal".....

this world would stop if it were for the ideologues..... "fiscally liberal" is just one idea which works during specific times, it doesn't work all the time...... but the situation obama inherited "fiscally liberal" was the need of the hour, otherwise we would all be in economic depression..... today people have the luxury of being an ideologues becoz this country is not in economic depression...... but wasn't it "fiscally conservative" republicans who led the country to the economic depression by spending their way to verge of collapse..... y blame obama for being "fiscally liberal"?

@ social issues, he has so much on his plate & his focus is economy...... but he has shown leadership on gitmo, don't ask don't tell, stem cell research etc..... in his first two years....... don't hang by his neck....... give this guy a chance......

after 2 years of bush presidency... if people would say anything about bush.... they were branded as unpatriotic...... now with 100 times worst situation at hand.... u'll not give this guy a chance but rather throw dirt all over.......

2 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/27/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stop it dude

Most of us are not eligible to vote in the Nov elections , so PLEASE STOP CAMPAIGNING for Obama unless u have something to say worthwhile abt immigration etc

[quote=ronhira;1987140]FDR had 8 years & over 55 years after his presidency to make his impression today..... u r judging obama with his first 2 years of his presidency....... where is fairness here?

Donated to IV

Old 09-23-2010, 05:14 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/17/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbpds View Post
Most of us are not eligible to vote in the Nov elections , so PLEASE STOP CAMPAIGNING for Obama unless u have something to say worthwhile abt immigration etc
i'm not campaigning for obama...... simply trying to set the record straight.....

the title of this thread implies that obama is not doing admin fix.... its not always about the campaign & votes, sometimes its about the truth and the truth is that republicans leaked the draft admin memo and wrote letters to oppose admin fix.... but now everyone here is blaming obama..... i'm simply defending the absent.....

most people pass judgments based on incomplete or incorrect headlines...... i'm merely saying that there is more to the news than just the headlines.... & this is related to immigration.... unless u think that the only valid immigration question is - when will i get my gc......

Old 09-23-2010, 05:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/27/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute

It really seemed ur in the campaiging team for Dems, hence the reply.

Admin fix was the wrong thing to do anyways, else your Obama will create 101 rules that affect everyone, the check and balance system is a good thing for US

Admin fix should happen for small regulations not a big law like the CIR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhira View Post
i'm not campaigning for obama...... simply trying to set the record straight.....

the title of this thread implies that obama is not doing admin fix.... its not always about the campaign & votes, sometimes its about the truth and the truth is that republicans leaked the draft admin memo and wrote letters to oppose admin fix.... but now everyone here is blaming obama..... i'm simply defending the absent.....

most people pass judgments based on incomplete or incorrect headlines...... i'm merely saying that there is more to the news than just the headlines.... & this is related to immigration.... unless u think that the only valid immigration question is - when will i get my gc......

Donated to IV

Old 09-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Ronhira. He is not campaigning for dems.

What he says is right. There is more to saying "he is doing a lip service, didn't fix this, didn't do this", etc.. Yes, he would have said that. But there is a lot more to think about than simply saying "he didn't do xyz". He deals tons of things day in and day out, and with a lot more force.

We need to completely come out of our frustration mode and think about that. Its not a one man job to get a bill passed. It take A LOT!

He inherited the worst economy when he assumed office and he took it to thus far. He got the healthcare reform passed, which is as sensitive and as complex as Immigration.

Don't say I am campaigning or pro-dem. I don't care a dime about politics.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default it's a fact...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhira View Post

it's a fact that he favors unions more. If tomorrow unions say no to hispanics he would kick most out...