Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute
Default News Article: "A Talent Contest We're Losing" - by Chairman of Intel Corp.

Source:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...122101919.html

A Talent Contest We're Losing
By Craig Barrett
Sunday, December 23, 2007; Page B07

The European Union took a step recently that the U.S. Congress can't seem to muster the courage to take. By proposing a simple change in immigration policy, E.U. politicians served notice that they are serious about competing with the United States and Asia to attract the world's top talent to live, work and innovate in Europe. With Congress gridlocked on immigration, it's clear that the next Silicon Valley will not be in the United States.

European politicians face many of the same political pressures surrounding immigration as their U.S. counterparts, and they, too, are not immune to those pressures. Nationalist and anti-immigrant factions in several Western European countries have made political gains in recent elections and are widely viewed as mainstream. Despite the hot-button nature of immigration issues, though, E.U. politicians advanced the "Blue Card" proposal in late October.

The plan is designed to attract highly educated workers by creating a temporary but renewable two-year visa. A streamlined application process would allow qualified prospective workers to navigate the system and start working in high-need jobs within one to three months.

This contrasts starkly with the byzantine system in place in the United States, which increasingly threatens America's long-term competitiveness.

The United States relies primarily on two programs to augment its workforce with highly educated, highly skilled foreign professionals. The H-1B visa is a three-year temporary visa that can be renewed once. The employment-based (EB) green card is the program for permanent residency. Both programs serve the needs of U.S. employers seeking to fill job vacancies in highly skilled professions. Extreme shortages of visas in both these programs are well documented.

H-1B visas, which are capped at 85,000 per year, are now gone in one day, with the "winners" determined by lottery.

The EB green card program has an annual allotment of 140,000 visas; these are allocated equally across all countries around the world, regardless of population. The inflexible country quotas mean that professionals from countries such as China and India are almost always at a disadvantage, finding themselves stuck in a system -- often for five to 10 years -- in which they cannot seek promotions and raises. Spouses and children count against the quota, which has not been raised since 1990. And even though they count against the quota of foreign workers allowed to come here, spouses are inexplicably forbidden to work, no matter their level of education and skill.

The U.S. system forces thousands of valuable foreign-born professionals -- including badly needed researchers, scientists, teachers and engineers -- into legal and professional limbo for years. Not surprisingly, many are considering opportunities in competitor nations -- even those who have lived in the United States for years and have graduated from American universities.

To be competitive in the global economy, U.S. companies depend on specialized talent coming out of U.S. graduate schools. These scientists and engineers are often foreign-born, as more than half of U.S. engineering master's students and PhD recipients are international students. Yet America shuts the door on many of these highly educated graduates, forcing them to look abroad for opportunities -- and our competitors are capitalizing on our failed policies.

E.U. leaders recognize that the top minds coming out of universities in the United States and other countries can help to reinvigorate European industry and enable it to create the next wave of businesses that drive innovation and economic growth.

While its Blue Card proposal still requires approval by member countries, Europe has sent a message. It intends to aggressively pursue the professional talent necessary to compete on the global stage. The United States, on the other hand, seems intent on driving away the very same talent the European Union is rolling out the red carpet to welcome.

The writer is chairman of Intel Corp., which employs about 2,000 employees with H-1B visas among its 86,000 workers worldwide.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 12-25-2007, 08:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/28/2007
Compare
purgan is just really nice purgan is just really nice purgan is just really nice purgan is just really nice purgan is just really nice

A very good article. Right on the money!!

I see the guys from Programmers Guild, NumbersUSA, Alipac, have flooded the comments section criticizing this bold and visionary man.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute
Default who is deFudge?

hopefully one of ours...
if not i wish he/she was part of this effort.

To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and not worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest!
Don't be afraid to try something new, remember amateurs built the ark and professionals the Titanic!

Old 12-25-2007, 10:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/14/2007
Compare
raamskl has a spectacular aura about raamskl has a spectacular aura about raamskl has a spectacular aura about
Default DeFudge,, who is he?

If you guys read the comment section.., this guy is indeed very articulate. And seems to be well informed on the subject too,, look at the way he is quoting and refuting each one of the "anti immigrant" message.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:52 PM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
inskrish has a brilliant future inskrish has a brilliant future inskrish has a brilliant future inskrish has a brilliant future inskrish has a brilliant future inskrish has a brilliant future inskrish has a brilliant future inskrish has a brilliant future inskrish has a brilliant future inskrish has a brilliant future inskrish has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by raamskl View Post
If you guys read the comment section.., this guy is indeed very articulate. And seems to be well informed on the subject too,, look at the way he is quoting and refuting each one of the "anti immigrant" message.
I believe he/she is Walking_Dude.

Regards,
IK
I-485 (NSC Received on 07/02/2007 at 10:20am)
I-485 RD: 08/08/2007 ND: 10/02/2007
Name Check: Pending as of 08/08/08
08/15/2008: Sent an email to Senator.
08/20/2008: Received a call from Senator's offfice to submit further evidence for my complaints (RFE from Senator office)
09/09/2008: Name Check is clear.( Info from Senator's office)
09/01/09: Received I-485 CPO email
09/08/09: Received the GC.

Last edited by inskrish; 12-25-2007 at 11:03 PM.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/25/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/25/2005
Compare
alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute

Really nice Op-ed. Coming from someone with such a vantage point in Global Industry, I hope it makes a few people understand the reality.

Obama does seem to be the most pragmatic and researched in his approach to this issue. He is also likely to be most able to convince the American people with his point of view. Problem is he is also in this CIR bandwagon, which America seems unwilling to accept until more progress is made securing the border and the undesirable ramifications of it are felt within.
Also as someone mentioned earlier Congress had the greatest say in this.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:49 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
abstractvision is a splendid one to behold abstractvision is a splendid one to behold abstractvision is a splendid one to behold abstractvision is a splendid one to behold abstractvision is a splendid one to behold abstractvision is a splendid one to behold abstractvision is a splendid one to behold
Default anti immigration groups..a background

http://www.splcenter.org/intel/intel...le.jsp?aid=846
A link has been posted by www.shusterman.com at main page.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
h1bmajdoor is infamous around these parts h1bmajdoor is infamous around these parts h1bmajdoor is infamous around these parts

talk is cheap.

If they cared/wanted/wished our welfare, they would spend money on improving legal immigrant's plight.

the truth is that this is a zero sum game between the H1 worker and the employer.

The employer is the last person who wishes you well in your H1 story.

you can't handle the truth.
you can't even handle the lies.
=====================

Old 12-27-2007, 11:59 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/21/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/21/2007
Compare
BEC_fog is on a distinguished road
Default Antis Lies

I was reading the comments on Wasington Post for this article and came across some which I found AMUSING....

ANTI WROTE:
squirebass wrote: "I feel that my income has been suppressed for the last two decades because of the HB1 business"

I SAY: If the dude had his income suppressed while people minted Money in the dotcom era even with limited skills, he must not have even those limited skills.

ANTI WROTE:
dwbauer wrote: "but they were cheap. No paid medical insurance, no paid vacations."

I SAY:
Dude, really...who fed you that crap. You cannot have separate company policies for H-1Bs....that would be discrimination.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-00
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
testsite is infamous around these parts testsite is infamous around these parts

This commentary seems to do a good job of debunking Barrett's claims:
The Blue Card Scare
http://www.capsweb.org/newsroom/opinion_releases/sanchez_blue_card.html

Old 12-31-2007, 06:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute
Default this is funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by testsite View Post
This commentary seems to do a good job of debunking Barrett's claims:
The Blue Card Scare
http://www.capsweb.org/newsroom/opinion_releases/sanchez_blue_card.html
lies begin from the very first 4 fours of that article:

"Intel CEO Craig Barrett..."

the CEO of Intel is Paul Otellini, not Craig Barrett, but fact-checking and telling the truth was never one of Rob Sanchez's strong points anyway.