Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2008, 11:51 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
EndlessWait is a jewel in the rough EndlessWait is a jewel in the rough EndlessWait is a jewel in the rough EndlessWait is a jewel in the rough
Default Tighter driver's license rules coming out across all states !

Read this article
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/11/real.id.ap/index.html

I hope that they don't make the life of us legals any more hell than what is.. Despite all the bureaucracy and documentation we deal with , I hope this one has some relief for us.

We already see that ppl on EAD can't get licenses in some states becoz its valid for 1 year...

After staying and paying in legal status, I've a feeling that this country is trying v hard to get rid of High Skilled legal professionals.

Last edited by EndlessWait; 01-11-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessWait View Post
Read this article
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/11/real.id.ap/index.html

I hope that they don't make the life of us legals any more hell than what is.. Despite all the bureaucracy and documentation we deal with , I hope this one has some relief for us.

We already see that ppl on EAD can't get licenses in some states becoz its valid for 1 year...

After staying and paying in legal status, I've a feeling that this country is trying v hard to get rid of High Skilled legal professionals.
If you are legal, u must be fine, but yes, it will be painful because every state have their own intepretations and they will give u a tough time due to lack of knowledge

Old 01-16-2008, 09:54 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Philippines
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
JunRN is a splendid one to behold JunRN is a splendid one to behold JunRN is a splendid one to behold JunRN is a splendid one to behold JunRN is a splendid one to behold JunRN is a splendid one to behold JunRN is a splendid one to behold

This is also one of the benefits of having a "Multi-year EAD/AP". We can get Driver's License based on the expiration of a "Multi-year EAD/AP" and that could mean "3 years" or longer.

We need to support the IV Letter Campaign which specifically request for Administrative Relief including Multi-year EAD/AP.

I am not a lawyer....all my comments are my own beliefs, please respect it. I do respect yours!

Old 01-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/09/2007
Compare
magicmonkey is on a distinguished road
Default non immigrants verification through SAVE system

My husband went to renew his driver license on 4th of january as his license was expiring on 9th. They are now using SAVE system in order to verify your documents whether you are legal or not. The officer input his I-94# and system was not able to find him!!!!!!!!!!! He seems not familiar with this new system and ask us to come on 9th, if system can verify you after some days!!
He went on 9th and he got message for second verification. The officer told me that we started using this system on 1st itself!!!
This time they took the copy of his I-797 and EAD card and send the package along with the G-845 to INS. Officer asked us to come back after 1 month!!!!!!!!!
Now he is not able to drive as his license is expired!!!
My leg is hurting since last month because of petellar dislocation despite of that now i have to drive to go to work.

I dont understand that if they don't have a good system which can not verify a legal person then why they are using it?? To harrass legal's who are not citizens of this country???????

I think that now every body should atleast apply for the renew of their driver license before 2 months!!

Old 01-16-2008, 12:51 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
bigboy007 has a reputation beyond repute bigboy007 has a reputation beyond repute bigboy007 has a reputation beyond repute bigboy007 has a reputation beyond repute bigboy007 has a reputation beyond repute bigboy007 has a reputation beyond repute bigboy007 has a reputation beyond repute bigboy007 has a reputation beyond repute bigboy007 has a reputation beyond repute bigboy007 has a reputation beyond repute bigboy007 has a reputation beyond repute

which state it is ? but system is already in place like states like IL , etc where they would verify instantaniously i dont know what else going on .

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

Last edited by bigboy007; 01-16-2008 at 12:57 PM.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/13/2007
Compare
GCD567 is on a distinguished road

Impact of Real-ID act on legal immigation:

I renewed my driving license using EAD. Received the card and it had the phrase 'TEMPORARY' at the bottom.

Recently I tried to open a checking account at a Credit Union near by my work and they declined citing 'they can't accept licenses with 'TEMPORARY' as proof of identify'. I called the local DMV official for help and they are helpless.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Priority Date
:
May-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2007
Compare
GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold

You can use your EAD card as proof of identity. Any federally issued document with a photo is valid for identification.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sumansk is on a distinguished road

Guys,
This is scary. Can someone detail out how moving on EAD going to impact us as most of the people are going to use AC21 soon.
Please this is urgent !!

Thanks

Old 01-16-2008, 01:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
guy_with_question is on a distinguished road

I thought DMV asks for I-140 and I-485 receipts for license applicants, and not EAD.

Do you guys mean that if a person is on EAD they won't be able to apply/extend their drivers licenses because EADs are valid for 1 year currently?

Old 01-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
United States
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
lotsofspace is a glorious beacon of light lotsofspace is a glorious beacon of light lotsofspace is a glorious beacon of light lotsofspace is a glorious beacon of light lotsofspace is a glorious beacon of light

Although luckily I don't have the DMV/licensing issues it feels very frustrating to see legal immigrants face these hardships. Since when EAD a status ? What if there is a I485 applicant who does not have EAD ? Say a dependent who does not want to work. Cant they get license because they don't have EAD ?
It is very wrong.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Life2Live is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb It is there for quiet long in FLORIDA

I renewed my license last Feb 2007 they gave only 1 year Driving License with Temporary marked on it. Even though I had 20 months of visa I got only 1 year. The DMV officer told me that they are issuing only 1 year valid Driving License for people that are not GC or Citizens.

It is time for renewal again, I am planning to go some time next month. I donno what will happen since only 8 more months visa left over.

"The world is a dangerous place to live...not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein

Old 01-16-2008, 03:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/09/2007
Compare
magicmonkey is on a distinguished road

State is Georgia.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/05/2007
Compare
JA1HIND will become famous soon enough JA1HIND will become famous soon enough
Talking

Reading all your posts here along with some rough experience you all had I really don't know what to do...

TSC-EB2
EAD APPROVED
140/485 - Still in process

I moved from MD to FL in May 2007 and still carry MD driver license and didn't change my DL to FL just because in MD they issued DL for my wife & myself for 5 years which is good until 2011. Of course I had to spend 10 hours in MD MVA office when I was trying to renew my DL from NC to MD (It is a CLASSIC experience & of course THE hopeless service ever I had encountered... getting my H1 stamping on my PP was lot easier which was less then 1 hour than getting this DL in this MD State...)

Looks like I should continue to use my MD driver license and see what's going to happen when time comes...not sure about the side effects for not changing DL to State where I am physically located...(I got pulled over couple of time for speeding since I moved here and there was no issue with OOS - DL , yes I do have my car insured as FL resident.. just to add more I still have North Carolina tags...

Any thoughts!

Last edited by JA1HIND; 01-16-2008 at 04:30 PM. Reason: small editing

Old 01-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
sunpost is on a distinguished road

Any idea about VA state license? I am planning to move to VA soon. Currently I have CT state license up to 2013. Anybody have experiences with VA DMV?

Old 01-16-2008, 05:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/12/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/12/2007
Compare
syedajmal is a glorious beacon of light syedajmal is a glorious beacon of light syedajmal is a glorious beacon of light syedajmal is a glorious beacon of light syedajmal is a glorious beacon of light

VA issues license with a 10 year expiry period. Last time I was there( 1 year ago) they asked me for no documentation. Documentation is only required if your current license is expired. But either way they give a 10 year expiry irrespective for your visa. Maybe things have changed recently. But this was a year ago. Hope it helps.