Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
orphean will become famous soon enough orphean will become famous soon enough
Default H1B's .. allowed to donate to a primary candidate?

Hi,

I'm a huge Obama fan and I signed up to donate. Suddenly however, I noticed that a "Terms and Conditions" checkbox, where one of the terms, the 1st one actually was

I am a United States citizen or a lawfully-admitted permanent resident.

Does that make me ineligible to donate? Is that fair? For IRS purposes, we are treated as permanent residents...

cheers
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2008, 11:50 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute
Default no no

DO NOT contribute to any official elections. It's illegal for aliens.

- Member of MI IV Chapter
- Contributing $25 monthly since 2007
- Several one-time contributions totalling over $1,500
- Participated in ALL Advocacy Efforts in Washington DC & San Jose since JUL 2007
- I am doing my part, have you done yours to advance our mutual cause?

* If you have the Faith of a Mustard Seed You can say to the Mountain 'Be Moved', and it WILL be Moved!!

** Faith without Action is Futile.

- The Bible

Old 02-06-2008, 11:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_horizon View Post
DO NOT contribute to any official elections. It's illegal for aliens.
I do not think so. Ever noticed a check box on federal tax return regarding donation to elections fund?

Old 02-07-2008, 12:20 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
orphean will become famous soon enough orphean will become famous soon enough
Default but that's the problem..

The IRS does not distinguish between citizens/perm residents and aliens (h1b). if you stay a certain number of days in a calendar year, you have to fill out 1040 e.g...

I think there is a $3 fund to the presidential campaign. wonder how that is different from contributing to an election fund..

Old 02-07-2008, 12:23 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should be fine. It's illegal to vote even for green card holders so I do not see the difference between green card holder and a person on H1b regarding this matter.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:31 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute
Default No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazycis View Post
I do not think so. Ever noticed a check box on federal tax return regarding donation to elections fund?
That box is for your OPINION regarding public financing of elections. It clearly says that checking yes on that tax form will not reduce your tax return or increase your tax bill. They are not taking your money, they are asking you for your opinion on that tax form and your decision whether tax dollars should be spent on people's campaigns for public offices.

There is NO DOUBT that on H1 you cannot contribute to any candidate or PAC in primary or general election. You will land yourself in trouble and ALSO YOUR FAVORITE CANDIDATE in trouble if you do that.

You have to have green card before you can give money to any political action committee or any political campaign.
Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
- Steven Weinberg, Nobel Prize winning physicist.
--------------------------------------------------

Old 02-07-2008, 01:44 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
imm_pro has much to be proud of imm_pro has much to be proud of imm_pro has much to be proud of imm_pro has much to be proud of imm_pro has much to be proud of imm_pro has much to be proud of imm_pro has much to be proud of imm_pro has much to be proud of imm_pro has much to be proud of imm_pro has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by orphean View Post
Hi,

I'm a huge Obama fan and I signed up to donate. Suddenly however, I noticed that a "Terms and Conditions" checkbox, where one of the terms, the 1st one actually was

I am a United States citizen or a lawfully-admitted permanent resident.

Does that make me ineligible to donate? Is that fair? For IRS purposes, we are treated as permanent residents...

cheers
No..dont even think about it

look at this article on murthy for more info.

http://www.murthy.com/news/n_parele.html

Nonimmigrants are NOT permitted to vote in United States elections. They may not contribute funds to political campaigns to help those who are running for political office, either directly or indirectly. In addition to nonimmigrants, foreign governments, foreign political parties, foreign corporations, foreign associations, foreign partnerships, and individuals with foreign citizenship are not permitted to give money to federal, state, or local elections in the U.S.
©MurthyDotCom
Nonimmigrants may be permitted to volunteer personal services to a federal candidate or political committee without making a monetary contribution, but the nonimmigrant must not be compensated by anyone for this effort. The U.S. Federal Election Commission (FEC) has issued an advisory opinion that a foreign national student may provide uncompensated volunteer services. By contrast, a foreign national artist was prohibited in an advisory opinion from donating services in connection with fundraising for a campaign. Donating services at a discounted rate, buying fundraising tickets or items, assisting in any way with loans and loan endorsements, or providing money to a person who is considering becoming a candidate are also prohibited.
©MurthyDotCom
Because of the complexity of the rules and the potential fines or imprisonment for violations of these laws, it is advisable for any nonimmigrant who may want to volunteer for a political campaign to seek an Advisory Opinion from the FEC regarding the proposed activity to avoid possible investigation or prosecution. A general overview of the FEC rules pertaining to foreign nationals can be found through Campaign Finance Law Resources on the FEC WebSite.
©MurthyDotCom

Last edited by imm_pro; 02-07-2008 at 01:53 AM.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:05 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Please donate to IV's cause

The Subject says it all.
- Fight global warming/climate change.
(http://savetheplanet4kids.blogspot.com/)<=

Old 02-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that we cannot vote is the main reason for the issues we are having. These politicians work against us ONLY because we cannot vote. If at all you really want to vote, you must strive to bring about that change.