Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2005
Chargeability
:
Pakistan
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2005
Compare
engineer is a jewel in the rough engineer is a jewel in the rough engineer is a jewel in the rough engineer is a jewel in the rough
Default UK Announces Points-based migration system

A new points- based system to enable the UK to control migration more effectively, tackle abuse and identify the most talented workers was launched by the Home Secretary.

The Government's Command Paper on the points-based system for managed migration was published today. The Home Secretary called on industry and education sectors to play their role in making migration work for Britain, and reminded them that they had a responsibility to help make the new scheme a success.

The points based system is a central part of the Government’s five year strategy for asylum and immigration, which was published in February 2005, and is committed to a wide-ranging plan:
  • <LI minmax_bound="true">to ensure that only those who benefit Britain can come here to work or study <LI minmax_bound="true">to strengthen the UK’s borders; to crack down on abuse and illegal immigration
  • and increase removals. Its implementation is a key Government priority
The scheme will be complemented with a tougher approach from our own British embassies abroad to weed out false applications and will place increased obligations on UK businesses and universities who will now be required to sponsor migrants and help to ensure that those they sponsor adhere to the terms of their visa.

Some of the key elements of the system include:
  • <LI minmax_bound="true">consolidating more than 80 existing work and study routes into five tiers:
    tier 1 - highly skilled, e.g. scientists or entrepreneurs
    tier 2 - skilled workers with a job offer, e.g. nurses, teachers, engineers
    tier 3 - low skilled workers filling specific temporary labour shortages, e.g. construction workers for a particular project
    tier 4 - students
    tier 5 - youth mobility and temporary workers, e.g. working holiday makers or musicians coming to play a concert <LI minmax_bound="true">points to be awarded to reflect aptitude, experience, age and also the level of need in any given sector, to allow the UK to respond flexibly to changes in the labour market
  • financial securities for specific categories where there has been evidence of abuse to ensure that migrants return home at the end of their stay.
Home Secretary Charles Clarke said:
'Managed migration is in the interest of the UK. Today’s announcement sets out the Government’s policy to deliver a firm but fair, simpler, more transparent and more rigorous system, which will benefit our economy and protect our borders.
'Crucially, it will allow us to ensure that only those people with the skills the UK needs come to this country while preventing those without these skills applying. Foreign workers or students will also in future need a UK sponsor to vouch for them, ensuring that businesses and colleges take responsibility for making sure foreign workers and students comply with visa rules.'
http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/about-u...stem-announced

I am not attorney and every comment I make on immigration matters is based on my experience and may not be correct. Consult immigration attorney in all immigration related matters.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dingudi is on a distinguished road

Still does not give you an actual GC until 6 years. Its like EAD that you need to renew every 2-3 years and need to qualify for renewal based on the point system that will be in place at that time. Mostly at the time of renewal you will need to meet some earning requirements to qualify for points and your kids born during this period will not be citizens until you get your actual GC after 6 years.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
nomorelogins will become famous soon enough nomorelogins will become famous soon enough
Default good

Still does not give you an actual GC until 6 years.
still lesser wait than here in US.

Its like EAD that you need to renew every 2-3 years and need to qualify for renewal based on the point system that will be in place at that time.Mostly at the time of renewal you will need to meet some earning requirements to qualify for points

similar.

and your kids born during this period will not be citizens until you get your actual GC after 6 years.

I wish we had this option here. I would rather have my kids have my own immigration status rather than be citizens here. if they were to ask us to go back to home country, your kids will be treated as aliens!

Old 02-08-2008, 12:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dingudi is on a distinguished road

Well, the average wait is still 6 years for anyone in US also. US Job market is 10 times bigger than UK market or may be even more. In UK not many R & D companies present in IT. Most of them are financial companies. UK is small country. So for long term growth opportunities in various other areas, I have no idea. Also the UK immigration system changes every 2-3 years based on country's needs of specific skill sets and for renewals you will need to qualify based on whats present at that time. That means if you are not able to meet the requirements , u will need to pack and go home.

similar.

Having a job offer and having a earned certain salary to qualify for points are two different things.in UK, For renewals, you will need to earn a salary income to qualify. This income range changes every time there is a change in immigration system , which is 2-3 years. For US GC, u only need to be earning stated on LC/I-140 .

I wish we had this option here. I would rather have my kids have my own immigration status rather than be citizens here. if they were to ask us to go back to home country, your kids will be treated as aliens![/quote]

Thats a personal choice one has to make. Your choice is different. Mine is different. Lot of Desi's I know, still make the choice of making sure of having kids here to give them an option of a better future. What the kids to do in future is up to them.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/28/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/28/2005
Compare
raj3078 is a jewel in the rough raj3078 is a jewel in the rough raj3078 is a jewel in the rough
Default Kids can choose any citizenship

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorelogins View Post

Its like EAD that you need to renew every 2-3 years and need to qualify for renewal based on the point system that will be in place at that time.Mostly at the time of renewal you will need to meet some earning requirements to qualify for points

similar.

and your kids born during this period will not be citizens until you get your actual GC after 6 years.

I wish we had this option here. I would rather have my kids have my own immigration status rather than be citizens here. if they were to ask us to go back to home country, your kids will be treated as aliens!
Kids are minors, so you can choose to make them your home coutry citizens even if they are born here. They ( or You) can make that decision till they are 18 years old

Old 02-08-2008, 01:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Change in citizenship possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorelogins View Post

similar.

One of my friend got citizenship changed for his US born daughter. He believes she will be better off as an Indian.
So I think you still have the option open for your kids to be Indian.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
nomorelogins will become famous soon enough nomorelogins will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndbhatt View Post
One of my friend got citizenship changed for his US born daughter. He believes she will be better off as an Indian.
So I think you still have the option open for your kids to be Indian.
Indian govt allows a person to register the birth of child at consulate here to get Indian citizenship by decent.
But the real mess starts if you want to travel, as US will not give a visa for reentry ( being born in US, the child is considered a citizen ). At this point, you would be forced to apply for a US passport to reenter, and give up indian passport.