Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2008, 02:17 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
Others
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vivekjay is a glorious beacon of light vivekjay is a glorious beacon of light vivekjay is a glorious beacon of light vivekjay is a glorious beacon of light vivekjay is a glorious beacon of light vivekjay is a glorious beacon of light
Default Copy of Bill Gates Testimony

http://democrats.science.house.gov/M...ny_12mar08.pdf
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/06/2007
Compare
alex77 is a name known to all alex77 is a name known to all alex77 is a name known to all alex77 is a name known to all alex77 is a name known to all alex77 is a name known to all
Default Page 15 says it all:

Second, Congress should create a streamlined path to permanent resident status for highly skilled workers. Rather than allowing highly skilled, well-trained innovators to remain for only a very limited period, we should encourage a greater number to become permanent U.S. residents so that they can help drive innovation and economic growth alongside America’s native-born talent. While some foreign students will undoubtedly choose to return home after graduation, it is extremely counterproductive to prevent them from remaining here to contribute their talents and expertise to our economic success if that is what they would like to do.

Third, Congress should increase the cap on visas. The current cap is so low that it virtually assures that highly skilled foreign graduates will leave the United States and work elsewhere after graduation. By increasing the number of visas granted each year, Congress can help U.S. industry meet its near-term need for qualified workers even as we build up our long-term capability to supply these workers domestically through education reform.

Ultimately, however, if we are to align our immigration policy with global realities and ensure our place as the world’s leading innovator, Congress must make additional changes to our employment-based immigration system.

The current system caps employment-based visas − or “green cards” − at 140,000 per fiscal year. Because that number includes spouses and children of applicants, the actual number of visas available for workers is far fewer than 140,000. Moreover, the number of green cards issued to nationals of any one country cannot exceed 7 percent of the total number of visas issued in a given fiscal year. These two factors have caused multi-year backlogs for thousands of highly skilled individuals and are having a chilling effect on America’s ability to attract and retain great talent.

I urge Congress to pass legislation that does away with per-country limits and significantly increases the number of green cards available in any fiscal year. Failure to do so will add to the already years-long wait for green cards and only encourage talented foreign nationals who are already contributing to innovation in U.S. companies to leave and take their talents elsewhere. Innovation is the engine of job growth; if we discourage innovation here at home, economic growth will decline, resulting in fewer jobs for American workers.

I want to emphasize that the shortage of scientists and engineers is so acute that we must do both: reform our education system and reform our immigration policies. This is not an either-or proposition. If we do not do both, U.S. companies simply will not have the talent they need to innovate and compete.

Last edited by alex77; 03-12-2008 at 04:11 PM.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
DDash is a jewel in the rough DDash is a jewel in the rough DDash is a jewel in the rough
Default Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekjay View Post
Thanks for posting...I only read the immigration part. Glad to see that he is supporting us. Hope other companies such as Google, Oracle, etc will support us as well.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:53 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bill Gate solution on Green Cards same as IVs position

Quote:
The current system caps employment-based visas − or “green cards” − at 140,000 per fiscal year. Because that number includes spouses and children of applicants, the actual number of visas available for workers is far fewer than 140,000. Moreover, the number of green cards issued to nationals of any one country cannot exceed 7 percent of the total number of visas issued in a given fiscal year. These two factors have caused multi-year backlogs for thousands of highly skilled individuals and are having a chilling effect on America’s ability to attract and retain great talent.

I urge Congress to pass legislation that does away with per-country limits and significantly increases the number of green cards available in any fiscal year. Failure to do so will add to the already years-long wait for green cards and only encourage talented foreign nationals who are already contributing to innovation in U.S. companies to leave and take their talents elsewhere
Interesting to see Bill Gates propose the same solutions that IV has always advocated.

Quote:

Old 03-12-2008, 02:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/25/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Compare
natrajs has much to be proud of natrajs has much to be proud of natrajs has much to be proud of natrajs has much to be proud of natrajs has much to be proud of natrajs has much to be proud of natrajs has much to be proud of natrajs has much to be proud of natrajs has much to be proud of
Default On the Point

Thank You Bill G

Old 03-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/11/2007
Compare
BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking_dude View Post
Interesting to see Bill Gates propose the same solutions that IV has always advocated.
Yes, Where "Sense" prevalent you would find the same tone and same conclusion but the problem is "powerful senseless" will make and decide the policies. I personally believe that in current politically hostile environment, this too will be crucified.Best Luck America.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Nepal
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future

I wonder if Bill Gates visits IV website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking_dude View Post

Old 03-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/08/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Compare
kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Post it on Lou Dobbs web page.

A copy of this should be posted on Lou Dobb's page. www.cnn.com/lou

Obama said yesterday that whatever Lou Dobbs suggests is not going to happen. Lou was furious with Obama's comment.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks for posting!! I hope they would fix this easier part of immigration bill and Bill's testimony does NOT fall into deaf ears...
I also wish Bill spoke more about Outsourcing which has exponentially grown as a way to circumvent the obsolete, slow U.S. Immigration system.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute

Bill Gates did speak about "Outsourcing" by Microsoft (and others) shifting jobs to Canada due to outdated immigration laws (though not exactly in the context of Green Cards)

Quote:
This situation has caused a serious disruption in the flow of talented STEM graduates to U.S. companies. Because an H-1B petition generally can be filed only for a person who holds a degree, when May/June 2007 graduates received their degrees, the visa cap for fiscal year 2008 had already been reached. Accordingly, U.S. firms will be unable to hire those graduates on an H-1B visa until the beginning of fiscal year 2009, or October 2008.

As a result, many U.S. firms, including Microsoft, have been forced to locate staff in countries that welcome skilled foreign workers to do work that could otherwise have been done in the United States, if it were not for our counterproductive immigration policies. Last year, for example, Microsoft was unable to obtain H-1B visas for one-third of the highly qualified foreign-born job candidates that we wanted to hire.
He also made the point that increasing H1Bs increases jobs for Americans as well. (Meaning if these core jobs get "outsourced" due to lack visas, it would also result in "outsourcing" of a lot more supplemental jobs)

Quote:
If we increase the number of H-1B visas that are available to U.S. companies, employment of U.S. nationals would likely grow as well. For instance, Microsoft has found that for every H-1B hire we make, we add on average four additional employees to support them in various capacities. Our experience is not unique. A recent study of technology companies in the S&P 500 found that, for every H-1B visa requested, these leading U.S. technology companies increased their overall employment by five workers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HV000 View Post
Thanks for posting!! I hope they would fix this easier part of immigration bill and Bill's testimony does NOT fall into deaf ears...
I also wish Bill spoke more about Outsourcing which has exponentially grown as a way to circumvent the obsolete, slow U.S. Immigration system.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/10/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Looks like a play out of IV's playbook

Looks like Bill gates too a play out of IV's playbook. He is dead on about EB immigration.

His assertion about H1B and job creation is very interesting
"for every H-1B visa requested, these leading U.S. technology companies increased their overall employment by five workers"

Also his request to increase the OPT term to 29 months will be a great boon to students graduating from US schools.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
shaq03000 is on a distinguished road

Sorry to keep this question here... Can anyone of gurus tell how to start new thread. please !

Old 03-12-2008, 03:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Nepal
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future

Go to IV homepage -> Click on Forums -> Click on a relevant forum where you want to post a new thread -> On the upper left hand, you should see a "New Thread" tab. Just click on it and you are good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaq03000 View Post
Sorry to keep this question here... Can anyone of gurus tell how to start new thread. please !

Old 03-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/14/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
micofrost is infamous around these parts micofrost is infamous around these parts micofrost is infamous around these parts micofrost is infamous around these parts micofrost is infamous around these parts micofrost is infamous around these parts micofrost is infamous around these parts
Default Solution to H1B Quota

One thing is for sure. H1B visas are misutilised by the local indian companies.

I have a suggestion. If IV core can talk to the appropiate persons on this. Again , my view point. Dont bang me on this.

This should be the rule for any companies, filing H1B for a foreign national.
You should be paying taxes , atleast 60% of your net income for a fiscal year to the US govt. remaining shud go to other foreign companies

Old 03-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
shaq03000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCard_Dream View Post
Go to IV homepage -> Click on Forums -> Click on a relevant forum where you want to post a new thread -> On the upper left hand, you should see a "New Thread" tab. Just click on it and you are good to go.

Thanks a lot !!!