Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Compare
shantanup has much to be proud of shantanup has much to be proud of shantanup has much to be proud of shantanup has much to be proud of shantanup has much to be proud of shantanup has much to be proud of shantanup has much to be proud of shantanup has much to be proud of
Default Letter to the University Chancellor

I wrote a letter to the Chancellor of the university where I graduated from. Here is that letter (identifiers omitted).

Dr. XXX
Chancellor
University of XXX

Dear Dr. X,

I wish to introduce myself as an alumnus member of the University of XXX. I graduated with MS in Chemical Engineering in the year 2001. Since then I am employed with AAA located at Houston, Texas. Thanks to the university’s Career Opportunities Center for their efforts. I have stated my contact information at the end of the letter.

There exists a social networking website named www.orkut.com. Some prospective, present and past students of University of XXX, many of Asian Indian origin, have formed a community group on this website called as “YYY”. I am a member of this group. Lot of prospective students ask questions about the educational quality of the university and various academic programs, location of the campus, university environment and culture, departmental research programs and available research funds, university ranking, career opportunities after graduation, employers’ perspective towards a University of XXX degree, visa and immigration related laws in the US and lot more. Since I believe that University of XXX has contributed a lot in getting me where I am right now, I usually answer most of these questions in a very positive manner except for those about US visa and immigration laws. I have extremely bitter feelings regarding this issue. I usually advise them against studying in any US universities if their wish is to look for better career opportunities, stay and contribute in the form of innovation and hard work to this country. I personally know several universities in European Union, UK, Russia, Japan, Australia and Canada that are at par with US universities and trying to attract bright international students. Not to mention, all these countries are heartily willing to welcome and retain bright, self motivated and home-educated individuals.

I am in this country since August 1999 LEGALLY and still waiting for an Employment Based Green Card! If I would have known that by year 2008 I would still be waiting for my green card, I would have selected a university in some other country for my higher education. Please help change my situation and viewpoint by using your weight and resources to educate our lawmakers about the reality. I have done my part by educating my local congressman ZZZ and his legislative staff at Washington, DC about this issue by means of personal visits and meetings. I would also encourage you to visit the website of Immigration Voice – a grassroots organization formed by about 30,000 prospective Employment Based immigrants – www.ImmigrationVoice.org.

For your reference, here is a list of bills related to Employment Based Immigration that are at various stages in the US Congress.

H. R. 6039: To amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to authorize certain aliens who have earned a master's or higher degree from a United States institution of higher education in a field of science, technology, engineering, or mathematics to be admitted for permanent residence.

H. R. 6090: To amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to eliminate the diversity immigrant program and to re-allocate those visas to certain employment-based immigrants who obtain an advanced degree in the United States.

H. R. 5882: To recapture employment-based immigrant visas lost to bureaucratic delays and to prevent losses of family- and employment-based immigrant visas in the future.

H. R. 5921: To amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to eliminate the per country level for employment-based immigrants and to end the spill-over of unused immigrant visa numbers between employment-based and family-sponsored categories.

Sincerely,
ABC
ADDRESS
Contact numbers:

CC.
University of XXX area local congresswoman and senators,
My local congressman and senators
Here is the response I received from the University Chancellor.

June 10, 2008

Dear Mr. ABC,

Thank you for your letter of 5/30/08. I am in agreement with your position on the current state of U.S. visa and immigration laws. Furthermore, I believe that most, if not all, of the state XXX legislators in Washington share our concern. I will continue to make my views known in this issue of great importance to the United States. America’s world leadership position in innovation will be jeopardized if we make it difficult for talented professionals to live and work in this country.

Sincerely,
Dr. XXX
Chancellor of University of XXX

Till today I have received reply only from Senator John Cornyn from Texas amongst all of the legislators whom I copied on my letter to the Chancellor. I have posted his reply after a few posts below.

Last edited by shantanup; 08-11-2008 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Senator John Cornyn's response below
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
immiusa has a reputation beyond repute immiusa has a reputation beyond repute immiusa has a reputation beyond repute immiusa has a reputation beyond repute immiusa has a reputation beyond repute immiusa has a reputation beyond repute immiusa has a reputation beyond repute immiusa has a reputation beyond repute immiusa has a reputation beyond repute immiusa has a reputation beyond repute immiusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Idea & letter is very good

Hello shantanup,

Your letter is very good & high light the core issue of EB immigration in this country. I think, we all (who holds US MS degree) should follow this idea.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:10 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/12/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/02/2011
Compare
gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute
Default Good job

Those who graduated from USA. Please write such a letter to your college/ uni. I think NAFSA on other front will push this too.

Guys please call or write letter . As we have less time we should call lawmakers and write to universities.

bill will not reach to floor until we get enpough support form lawmakers.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Priority Date
:
May-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/20/2012
Compare
vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute
Default really worth

Hi shantanup,

I really impressed with your novel and blossom idea. This kind of campaign definetely give the fruitful results. Really appreciating your approach. I will write one to my dean today. I kindly request Pappu to lead a campaign of writting letters to university deans/ chancellors. Pappu please kindly takeup this novel approach. I strongly believe this will work out.

Last edited by vdlrao; 06-16-2008 at 12:38 PM.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:49 PM
Priority Date
:
May-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/20/2012
Compare
vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute
Default mailed to Pappu

After seeing this novel idea I was not able to resist myself to inform Pappu and take his help on this. So lets see whats he say. Meanwhile I do my part of writing a letter to my dean.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
zerozerozeven is a jewel in the rough zerozerozeven is a jewel in the rough zerozerozeven is a jewel in the rough
Default Students Associations

I am in touch with the student association of the public university where I completed my masters and am extremely disappointed with them. Their activities are limited to a few dance nights and some cultural shows. They should also take the lead in informing the Univ. higher authorities with campaigns like this.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:20 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdlrao View Post
Hi shantanup,

I really impressed with your novel and blossom idea. This kind of campaign definetely give the fruitful results. Really appreciating your approach. I will write one to my dean today. I kindly request Pappu to lead a campaign of writting letters to university deans/ chancellors. Pappu please kindly takeup this novel approach. I strongly believe this will work out.
I would recommend : talk to pappu, see if this is good thing, and YOU lead the campaign. This is what IV is all about.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:45 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/17/2007
Compare
Harivinder is a glorious beacon of light Harivinder is a glorious beacon of light Harivinder is a glorious beacon of light Harivinder is a glorious beacon of light Harivinder is a glorious beacon of light Harivinder is a glorious beacon of light
Default Good Idea

I think this is a very good idea. I will write an Email to the University Chancellor and convince my friends to do the same.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:55 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute

Shantanu.. thank you for this initiative.
Can someone here come up with a generic template for us to use?

Got GC in Sept 2011

Spread the RALLY message on:
Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Contribute | HR3012 Wiki
Info on Rally | Accommodation | Air Miles | Carpool | Merchandize | Posters | Volunteers

Old 06-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/17/2007
Compare
Harivinder is a glorious beacon of light Harivinder is a glorious beacon of light Harivinder is a glorious beacon of light Harivinder is a glorious beacon of light Harivinder is a glorious beacon of light Harivinder is a glorious beacon of light
Default Shot and effective letters.

Instead of a template I will suggest every one write there own letter. Most of the times when officials receive similar letter they just toss them in the bin. Write customized letters, just keep in mind to be shot and effective.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB1B
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2007
Compare
raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantanup View Post
[snip...]
I am in this country since August 1999 LEGALLY and still waiting for an Employment Based Green Card! If I would have known that by year 2008 I would still be waiting for my green card, I would have selected a university in some other country for my higher education.
[snip...]
While recognizing your good intent, I want you to note that F-1 VISA is given under the condition of "non-immigrant" intent.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
texanguy is a splendid one to behold texanguy is a splendid one to behold texanguy is a splendid one to behold texanguy is a splendid one to behold texanguy is a splendid one to behold texanguy is a splendid one to behold

Then this is high time now that F1 shall be a dual intent visa. Otherwise the statement all the educational institution are making (may be unbeknownst to them) to foreign students is "People, come on in, enjoy our state funded high quality education. But dont even dare to declare that you want to continue working here after getting your degree. We want you to go back to where you came from.

These intents are archaic and are not suitable for 21st century while countries are doing their best to woo the educated workforce...They must have been from the times when people were still watching I love Lucy in B/W

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysaikat View Post
While recognizing your good intent, I want you to note that F-1 VISA is given under the condition of "non-immigrant" intent.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB1B
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2007
Compare
raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanguy View Post
Then this is high time now that F1 shall be a dual intent visa. Otherwise the statement all the educational institution are making (may be unbeknownst to them) to foreign students is "People, come on in, enjoy our state funded high quality education. But dont even dare to declare that you want to continue working here after getting your degree. We want you to go back to where you came from.

These intents are archaic and are not suitable for 21st century while countries are doing their best to woo the educated workforce...They must have been from the times when people were still watching I love Lucy in B/W
I do not disagree with you. But until that happens (probably not in near future), a person on F-1 must be very careful in supporting any of immigrants' issues, especially in writing. They can definitely do that, but it must be done as an altruistic act, not as their own benefit (otherwise they will express immigrant intent).

Old 08-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Compare
shantanup has much to be proud of shantanup has much to be proud of shantanup has much to be proud of shantanup has much to be proud of shantanup has much to be proud of shantanup has much to be proud of shantanup has much to be proud of shantanup has much to be proud of

Here is the response from Senator John Cornyn of Texas.
I am speechless!
July 24, 2008

Mr. ABC
Address

Dear Mr. ABC

Thank you for contacting me regarding the H-1B temporary worker visa program. I appreciate having benefit of your comments on this issue.

The US depends on its entire workforce – US workers and legal temporary foreign labor – to remain competitive in the global market. While qualified American workers can and do receive priority for employment, there are industries, especially in the area of science, technology, engineering and mathematics, where demand for qualified and experienced employees exceed the supply of available US workers. Additionally, a majority of US employers are required to demonstrate that there are no US workers available to fill a position before they are able to hire a foreign national. Further, US employers must comply with current advertising, recruiting and job placement laws before any foreign national can be placed into an open position.

I support targeted programs that help America strong, competitive and a leading innovator in business. Such programs include temporary labor initiatives that do not displace American workers but fill a gap and improve the overall health of the US economy. I will continue to work for reforms in all temporary worker programs to minimize fraud and abuse while ensuring that US employers have access to qualified workforce.

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent the interests of Texans in the US Senate and you may be certain that I will keep your comments in mind should relevant legislation be considered. Thank you for taking time to contact me.

Sincerely,

John Cornyn

United States Senator