Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
zerozerozeven is a jewel in the rough zerozerozeven is a jewel in the rough zerozerozeven is a jewel in the rough
Default In a few years from now, 10 lakh visas will be issued to Indians leaving for the US

http://www.hindu.com/2008/08/13/stor...1359560400.htm

“Two million Indians constitute the best immigrant community in U.S.”

TAMBARAM: In a few years from now, 10 lakh visas will be issued to Indians leaving for the United States of America, Frederick J.Kaplan, Acting Consul-General , US Consulate, Chennai, said on Tuesday.

He was speaking at the launch of the Semester Abroad Programme of SRM University in Kattankulathur in which the second batch of 41 students of the institution would soon leave for various universities in the U.S., United Kingdom, France, Germany and Japan to spend an entire semester.

Mr. Kaplan said “7.6 lakh visas are being issued every year and in a few years from now, we would be issuing 10 lakh visas every year.” Indians constituted the largest community among foreign students in the US and there were 83,000 of them, he pointed out.

“Indians perform brilliantly in engineering, medicine, business and increasingly in the humanities,” he remarked.

Citing a study by Duke University, Mr. Kaplan said that more than one in seven “start-ups” in Silicon Valley was founded by an immigrant from India. More than two million Indian Americans in US constituted the best educated and wealthiest immigrant community in the country.

He said Bobby Jindal, an Indian American, was recently elected as Governor of Louisiana and is now being discussed as a “possible candidate for Vice President as John McCain’s running mate.”

As barriers to trade and investment came down, what mattered to American business was a hard working and well educated labour force, capable management, political stability and rule of law and all of these existed in India, Mr. Kaplan said.

V.Bhaskar, who captained the Indian hockey team to a gold medal at the 1980 Moscow Olympics, said Abhinav Bindra’s triumph was inspiring. “Since 1980 there have been talks of why India was unable to produce a gold medal though it had a population of one billion and Abhinav Bindra’s success has put an end to that drought,” he said, adding that the shooter’s feat would be an inspiration to athletes and youth in the country.

P.Sathyanarayanan, Vice-Chancellor, said the university spent Rs.1.5 crore on sending the first two batches of the students to the foreign universities. T.R.Pachamuthu, Chancellor and staff of the university spoke.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/31/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
little_willy has a reputation beyond repute little_willy has a reputation beyond repute little_willy has a reputation beyond repute little_willy has a reputation beyond repute little_willy has a reputation beyond repute little_willy has a reputation beyond repute little_willy has a reputation beyond repute little_willy has a reputation beyond repute little_willy has a reputation beyond repute little_willy has a reputation beyond repute little_willy has a reputation beyond repute
Default yeah, right...

He might have as well added that - " We issue a million visas a year but restrict permanent residency to less than 5000 families, you guys fight over that once you land in U.S.A. and we have an agency called USCIS that figures out the winners"

Old 08-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rdehar has much to be proud of rdehar has much to be proud of rdehar has much to be proud of rdehar has much to be proud of rdehar has much to be proud of rdehar has much to be proud of rdehar has much to be proud of rdehar has much to be proud of rdehar has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_willy View Post
He might have as well added that - " We issue a million visas a year but restrict permanent residency to less than 5000 families, you guys fight over that once you land in U.S.A. and we have an agency called USCIS that figures out the winners"
That's marketing and this is reality :-D
I-485 Filed; Invoked AC21, switched to EAD Jun 2009
By the way, spent 9 years on H1

Last edited by rdehar; 08-13-2008 at 02:50 PM. Reason: spell check