Immigration Voice

Immigration Voice (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/)
-   News articles and reports (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum89-news-articles-and-reports/)
-   -   Skilled Immigrants on Why They're Leaving the U.S. (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum89-news-articles-and-reports/223427-skilled-immigrants-on-why-theyre-leaving-the-u-s.html)

ebizash 07-27-2009 03:27 PM

While I know only one of my friends who moved back to India last year due to GC Issues. Actually he received a stupid RFE and decided enough was enough. He was a IT managerand Forynue 50 company and is now a director at a very reputed company in India.

Apart from this, 6 of my friends have applied for Canadian PR and have decided that they will move to Canada as soon as their PR is approved. 3 of them want to start their own company and have already started the pre-work in Canada.

akred 07-27-2009 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newuser (Post 552725)
Its too early to know her real intentions.

She didn't mention anything about IV nor apolozied for her last article.

BTW, there are some anti sharks scouting IV forums.

She's covered issues that matter to us. No harm in sending her a thank you note.

vin13 07-27-2009 03:52 PM

Related article - Microsoft

High-Skilled Immigration Must be Part of Comprehensive Reform
Posted by Fred Humphries
Managing Director U.S. Government Affairs
High-Skilled Immigration Must be Part of Comprehensive Reform - Microsoft On The Issues

Today marks an important new beginning for efforts to repair the United States’ flawed immigration system. We at Microsoft congratulate President Obama for convening a bipartisan meeting at the White House on immigration reform, and commend the members of Congress who participated. Most immigration experts agree our system needs big changes, so I’m pleased to see the broad participation in this important process.

Nonetheless, we remain concerned that a serious discussion of high-skilled immigration policies has not yet begun, and we believe it must be included in any comprehensive reform. If the U.S. is to remain at the cutting edge of innovation, we must ensure that our businesses can attract and hire the best talent from around the globe.

As Brad Smith blogged earlier this year, immigration policies that attract highly-skilled workers are critical for job creation and long-term economic growth. America’s economic recovery will come from innovation within America’s borders – in its laboratories, board rooms and research centers. By giving American businesses access to the talent they need, they will be able to grow and generate additional American jobs. The more bright minds who contribute to innovation on American soil, the faster our country will return to a position of economic strength.

Now more than ever, we need smart policies to build the innovation workforce of the future.

We can start by ensuring that American students in American schools receive top-notch science, technology and mathematics education. But at the same time, we must ensure that U.S. employers have access to the world’s most highly skilled individuals, regardless of where they were born. Even during the current economic downturn, unemployment among professional workers in the U.S. is relatively low, at approximately four percent, according to the Department of Labor. That means that in many industries, it remains difficult to fill jobs that require specialized skills by solely relying on American workers.

Last year, when the economy was going strong, demand for H-1B visas to bring highly-skilled workers into the U.S. was about double the supply set by Congress. This year, for the first time in many years, the cap on H-1B visas for 2010 has not yet been reached due to the weak economy. There could be no clearer evidence that the market for highly skilled workers is self-regulating. Market demands, not arbitrary caps, should control our high-skilled immigration policies.

Certainly, any comprehensive immigration reform must include enforcement measures that punish fraud, eliminate bad actors, protect workers and shield responsible employers. Microsoft and the vast majority of employers follow U.S. immigration laws to the letter. The small percentage of bad actors cast a bad light upon all.

High skilled immigration reform is absolutely critical to American economic recovery, and to the success of any comprehensive reform effort. It will take those on all sides of this issue to work together to fix the system. I look forward to working with a diverse set of stakeholders to find creative ways to move this dialogue forward.

PavanV 07-27-2009 04:24 PM

Folks, i have been in this country for 10 years now, got my Masters been working for 5+ years (all my experience is American), got my company to file for PERM last month, I am in my 5th year of H1 B, I really dont see my self waiting for another 1 - 7 years to get my GC. I share my cinematic woes with the community, my company has applied for my H1 B extension, but since my California driver license is tied to my H1 B document, i am currently out of license (by the way, me and wife are expecting a child) and have to wait to get my I - 797 in hand, which could be 2- 3 months depending on the time the God's in USCIS decide to take action. My primary reason to be in the US is my love of car's , and now I cannot drive :mad: :mad:
I dont want to vent my frustration here, but I can tell you, no matter what, there is tremendous negative energy being generated in this country and it wont do it any good. I dont have a good feeling about it.
I am waiting for a good oppurtunity to go back to India, does any body know how job networking happens in India ?

waitforevergc 07-27-2009 05:13 PM

Pavanv,

Let me try help you here.

Did you try taking your extension receipt to DMV?
Some states do accept it and might give 1 yr driver's license.

Job search in India - try posting your resume in naukri.com, monsterindia.com or recruit.net

The recruiters will get back in touch with you.

I am in your shoes, waiting to go back.
Tired of the GC wait.

PavanV 07-27-2009 05:27 PM

Boss,

I did take the receipt, the folks here in SoCal (south california) wont accept it, I did not want to overly frustrated (because i cannot do anything about it ). The American dream is turning into a nightmare :mad:

belmontboy 07-27-2009 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PavanV (Post 553390)
Boss,

I did take the receipt, the folks here in SoCal (south california) wont accept it, I did not want to overly frustrated (because i cannot do anything about it ). The American dream is turning into a nightmare :mad:

Hey Pavan,

i am also from So Cal.
I did renew my DL few months back. Just mailed them renewal notice, payment and got back new DL valid for 5 years.

Did u have the option of renewing via mail?

kshitijnt 07-27-2009 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PavanV (Post 553390)
Boss,

There is something called as premium processing. Unless you are working for a baniya company.

kshitijnt 07-27-2009 05:52 PM

Ganguly is a smart guy

The guy by name of Ganguly is a smart person and mere base pay of 7 lacs is nothing for IIT prof. He will make tons in research. He made the right choice in his life. Tomorrow he could be dean of IIT which he may not be able to become in US. I think he has made a right choice.

The family reality is going to bite a few years down the line. my parents and my spouse's parents live in India. We simply can not afford to live here for ever. Clock is ticking maybe 2-3-5 more years and thats it. :)

PavanV 07-27-2009 06:04 PM

Yeah, but i dont have the I- 797 though, its just the receipt from USCIS that they received my H1 B extension.
Quote:

Originally Posted by belmontboy (Post 553477)
Hey Pavan,

i am also from So Cal.
I did renew my DL few months back. Just mailed them renewal notice, payment and got back new DL valid for 5 years.

Did u have the option of renewing via mail?

PavanV 07-27-2009 06:05 PM

Can you believe it ?, i actually work for a fortune 500 company, which is actually doing good in this recession, they applied for my PERM after 2 years of haggling with me.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kshitijnt (Post 553478)
There is something called as premium processing. Unless you are working for a baniya company.

bondgoli007 07-27-2009 06:20 PM

This article is now a headline on msnbc.com

Guys,

Just FYI...this article is now a headline on the msnbc.com website. this is good because lot of people visit this site for news and a prominent headline like "

Skilled immigrants fleeing the U.S."

is bound to garner interest from regular folks. I Thank Moira Herbst for the article and despite her horrifying reporting recently, I believe she has made the effort to understand out plight and this article is a good start.

Cheers.

belmontboy 07-27-2009 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PavanV (Post 553569)
Yeah, but i dont have the I- 797 though, its just the receipt from USCIS that they received my H1 B extension.

why do u need I-797 for renewing via mail?

all i did was send renewal notice and $$ via mail

bugsbunny 07-27-2009 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PavanV (Post 553569)

i renewed my cali DL without any issues online at dmv.ca.gov They didnt ask for any documentation regarding visa or GC. The first time i got DL i was on F1 and now i am on H1 and EAD.

uma001 07-27-2009 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PavanV (Post 553570)
Can you believe it ?, i actually work for a fortune 500 company, which is actually doing good in this recession, they applied for my PERM after 2 years of haggling with me.

pavan,

Atleast your company filed your PERM. But my company hasnt filed yet and they said they cant file now becos of bad economy but the company is making profits, It is fortune 550 company. I have been working for 2.5 years.