Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2009, 02:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/11/2007
Compare
ebizash has a reputation beyond repute ebizash has a reputation beyond repute ebizash has a reputation beyond repute ebizash has a reputation beyond repute ebizash has a reputation beyond repute ebizash has a reputation beyond repute ebizash has a reputation beyond repute ebizash has a reputation beyond repute ebizash has a reputation beyond repute ebizash has a reputation beyond repute ebizash has a reputation beyond repute

While I know only one of my friends who moved back to India last year due to GC Issues. Actually he received a stupid RFE and decided enough was enough. He was a IT managerand Forynue 50 company and is now a director at a very reputed company in India.

Apart from this, 6 of my friends have applied for Canadian PR and have decided that they will move to Canada as soon as their PR is approved. 3 of them want to start their own company and have already started the pre-work in Canada.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/26/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/19/2007
Compare
akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by newuser View Post
Its too early to know her real intentions.

She didn't mention anything about IV nor apolozied for her last article.

BTW, there are some anti sharks scouting IV forums.
She's covered issues that matter to us. No harm in sending her a thank you note.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Compare
vin13 has a reputation beyond repute vin13 has a reputation beyond repute vin13 has a reputation beyond repute vin13 has a reputation beyond repute vin13 has a reputation beyond repute vin13 has a reputation beyond repute vin13 has a reputation beyond repute vin13 has a reputation beyond repute vin13 has a reputation beyond repute vin13 has a reputation beyond repute vin13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Related article - Microsoft

High-Skilled Immigration Must be Part of Comprehensive Reform
Posted by Fred Humphries
Managing Director U.S. Government Affairs
High-Skilled Immigration Must be Part of Comprehensive Reform - Microsoft On The Issues

Today marks an important new beginning for efforts to repair the United States’ flawed immigration system. We at Microsoft congratulate President Obama for convening a bipartisan meeting at the White House on immigration reform, and commend the members of Congress who participated. Most immigration experts agree our system needs big changes, so I’m pleased to see the broad participation in this important process.

Nonetheless, we remain concerned that a serious discussion of high-skilled immigration policies has not yet begun, and we believe it must be included in any comprehensive reform. If the U.S. is to remain at the cutting edge of innovation, we must ensure that our businesses can attract and hire the best talent from around the globe.

As Brad Smith blogged earlier this year, immigration policies that attract highly-skilled workers are critical for job creation and long-term economic growth. America’s economic recovery will come from innovation within America’s borders – in its laboratories, board rooms and research centers. By giving American businesses access to the talent they need, they will be able to grow and generate additional American jobs. The more bright minds who contribute to innovation on American soil, the faster our country will return to a position of economic strength.

Now more than ever, we need smart policies to build the innovation workforce of the future.

We can start by ensuring that American students in American schools receive top-notch science, technology and mathematics education. But at the same time, we must ensure that U.S. employers have access to the world’s most highly skilled individuals, regardless of where they were born. Even during the current economic downturn, unemployment among professional workers in the U.S. is relatively low, at approximately four percent, according to the Department of Labor. That means that in many industries, it remains difficult to fill jobs that require specialized skills by solely relying on American workers.

Last year, when the economy was going strong, demand for H-1B visas to bring highly-skilled workers into the U.S. was about double the supply set by Congress. This year, for the first time in many years, the cap on H-1B visas for 2010 has not yet been reached due to the weak economy. There could be no clearer evidence that the market for highly skilled workers is self-regulating. Market demands, not arbitrary caps, should control our high-skilled immigration policies.

Certainly, any comprehensive immigration reform must include enforcement measures that punish fraud, eliminate bad actors, protect workers and shield responsible employers. Microsoft and the vast majority of employers follow U.S. immigration laws to the letter. The small percentage of bad actors cast a bad light upon all.

High skilled immigration reform is absolutely critical to American economic recovery, and to the success of any comprehensive reform effort. It will take those on all sides of this issue to work together to fix the system. I look forward to working with a diverse set of stakeholders to find creative ways to move this dialogue forward.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
PavanV has a reputation beyond repute PavanV has a reputation beyond repute PavanV has a reputation beyond repute PavanV has a reputation beyond repute PavanV has a reputation beyond repute PavanV has a reputation beyond repute PavanV has a reputation beyond repute PavanV has a reputation beyond repute PavanV has a reputation beyond repute PavanV has a reputation beyond repute PavanV has a reputation beyond repute

Folks, i have been in this country for 10 years now, got my Masters been working for 5+ years (all my experience is American), got my company to file for PERM last month, I am in my 5th year of H1 B, I really dont see my self waiting for another 1 - 7 years to get my GC. I share my cinematic woes with the community, my company has applied for my H1 B extension, but since my California driver license is tied to my H1 B document, i am currently out of license (by the way, me and wife are expecting a child) and have to wait to get my I - 797 in hand, which could be 2- 3 months depending on the time the God's in USCIS decide to take action. My primary reason to be in the US is my love of car's , and now I cannot drive
I dont want to vent my frustration here, but I can tell you, no matter what, there is tremendous negative energy being generated in this country and it wont do it any good. I dont have a good feeling about it.
I am waiting for a good oppurtunity to go back to India, does any body know how job networking happens in India ?

Last edited by PavanV; 07-27-2009 at 03:30 PM.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
waitforevergc is a jewel in the rough waitforevergc is a jewel in the rough waitforevergc is a jewel in the rough
Smile

Pavanv,

Let me try help you here.

Did you try taking your extension receipt to DMV?
Some states do accept it and might give 1 yr driver's license.

Job search in India - try posting your resume in naukri.com, monsterindia.com or recruit.net

The recruiters will get back in touch with you.

I am in your shoes, waiting to go back.
Tired of the GC wait.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
PavanV has a reputation beyond repute PavanV has a reputation beyond repute PavanV has a reputation beyond repute PavanV has a reputation beyond repute PavanV has a reputation beyond repute PavanV has a reputation beyond repute PavanV has a reputation beyond repute PavanV has a reputation beyond repute PavanV has a reputation beyond repute PavanV has a reputation beyond repute PavanV has a reputation beyond repute

Boss,

I did take the receipt, the folks here in SoCal (south california) wont accept it, I did not want to overly frustrated (because i cannot do anything about it ). The American dream is turning into a nightmare

Old 07-27-2009, 04:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/03/2011
Compare
belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavanV View Post
Boss,

I did take the receipt, the folks here in SoCal (south california) wont accept it, I did not want to overly frustrated (because i cannot do anything about it ). The American dream is turning into a nightmare
Hey Pavan,

i am also from So Cal.
I did renew my DL few months back. Just mailed them renewal notice, payment and got back new DL valid for 5 years.

Did u have the option of renewing via mail?
485 approved on Jan 25,2012.
Physical cards received on Jan 30, 2012
one time contribution - 100$
one time contribution for April 2011 Advocacy days - 50$

Last edited by belmontboy; 07-27-2009 at 04:44 PM.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2008
Compare
kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Boss,

There is something called as premium processing. Unless you are working for a baniya company.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2008
Compare
kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ganguly is a smart guy

The guy by name of Ganguly is a smart person and mere base pay of 7 lacs is nothing for IIT prof. He will make tons in research. He made the right choice in his life. Tomorrow he could be dean of IIT which he may not be able to become in US. I think he has made a right choice.

The family reality is going to bite a few years down the line. my parents and my spouse's parents live in India. We simply can not afford to live here for ever. Clock is ticking maybe 2-3-5 more years and thats it.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Yeah, but i dont have the I- 797 though, its just the receipt from USCIS that they received my H1 B extension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmontboy View Post
Hey Pavan,

i am also from So Cal.
I did renew my DL few months back. Just mailed them renewal notice, payment and got back new DL valid for 5 years.

Did u have the option of renewing via mail?

Old 07-27-2009, 05:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Can you believe it ?, i actually work for a fortune 500 company, which is actually doing good in this recession, they applied for my PERM after 2 years of haggling with me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshitijnt View Post
There is something called as premium processing. Unless you are working for a baniya company.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Priority Date
:
May-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/25/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/27/2012
Compare
bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default This article is now a headline on msnbc.com

Guys,

Just FYI...this article is now a headline on the msnbc.com website. this is good because lot of people visit this site for news and a prominent headline like "

Skilled immigrants fleeing the U.S."

is bound to garner interest from regular folks. I Thank Moira Herbst for the article and despite her horrifying reporting recently, I believe she has made the effort to understand out plight and this article is a good start.

Cheers.

Northern California State Chapter

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/03/2011
Compare
belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, but i dont have the I- 797 though, its just the receipt from USCIS that they received my H1 B extension.
why do u need I-797 for renewing via mail?

all i did was send renewal notice and $$ via mail
485 approved on Jan 25,2012.
Physical cards received on Jan 30, 2012
one time contribution - 100$
one time contribution for April 2011 Advocacy days - 50$

Old 07-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i renewed my cali DL without any issues online at dmv.ca.gov They didnt ask for any documentation regarding visa or GC. The first time i got DL i was on F1 and now i am on H1 and EAD.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/26/2011
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
uma001 has much to be proud of uma001 has much to be proud of uma001 has much to be proud of uma001 has much to be proud of uma001 has much to be proud of uma001 has much to be proud of uma001 has much to be proud of uma001 has much to be proud of uma001 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Can you believe it ?, i actually work for a fortune 500 company, which is actually doing good in this recession, they applied for my PERM after 2 years of haggling with me.
pavan,

Atleast your company filed your PERM. But my company hasnt filed yet and they said they cant file now becos of bad economy but the company is making profits, It is fortune 550 company. I have been working for 2.5 years.

Total contributions $120

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.