Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
shana04 is a splendid one to behold shana04 is a splendid one to behold shana04 is a splendid one to behold shana04 is a splendid one to behold shana04 is a splendid one to behold shana04 is a splendid one to behold
Default 72,500 job cuts Caterpillar Inc., Sprint Nextel Corp. and Home Depot Inc

Jan. 26 (Bloomberg) -- Caterpillar Inc., Sprint Nextel Corp. and Home Depot Inc. led companies today announcing at least 72,500 job cuts

Link: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...fUU&refer=home
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2009, 03:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/20/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/10/2005
Compare
sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold

That's a biggie.
"The whole history of these books is so defective and doubtful that it seems vain to attempt minute enquiry into it: and such tricks have been played with their text, and with the texts of other books relating to them, that we have a right, from that cause, to entertain much doubt what parts of them are genuine. In the New Testament there is internal evidence that parts of it have proceeded from an extraordinary man; and that other parts are of the fabric of very inferior minds. It is as easy to separate those parts, as to pick out diamonds from dunghills."

- One Great man to another, 1814

Old 01-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/09/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2007
Compare
gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold

That is big and affects economy as a whole but it is mainly job cuts in manufacturing lines not in IT alone and also its impact on immigration community wuld be very less...

Old 01-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/05/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/21/2007
Compare
webm will become famous soon enough

Yes these numbers could be more in the manufacturing/operations/customer service/stores (sales-marketing) departments and less in IT/BPO job cuts possibly.and obviously it hurts economy/job less rate higher.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/28/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
PHANI_TAVVALA has a brilliant future PHANI_TAVVALA has a brilliant future PHANI_TAVVALA has a brilliant future PHANI_TAVVALA has a brilliant future PHANI_TAVVALA has a brilliant future PHANI_TAVVALA has a brilliant future PHANI_TAVVALA has a brilliant future PHANI_TAVVALA has a brilliant future PHANI_TAVVALA has a brilliant future PHANI_TAVVALA has a brilliant future PHANI_TAVVALA has a brilliant future
Angry

Yeah right, wait until it is your turn. Manufacturing atleast produces something real, unlike your idiotic coding, and always takes the beating first. When these big companies stop investing in IT infrastructure you guys will be affected. Just wait your turn, you will be inline pretty soon.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/20/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts
Default ;)

TRUE..
IT is next in line... and thats when legal immigration will really come in spot light.
i think the EB community should be ready for xenophobia and anti-immigration sentiments to pop up..pretty soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANI_TAVVALA View Post
Yeah right, wait until it is your turn. Manufacturing atleast produces something real, unlike your idiotic coding, and always takes the beating first. When these big companies stop investing in IT infrastructure you guys will be affected. Just wait your turn, you will be inline pretty soon.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/27/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
sku is a name known to all sku is a name known to all sku is a name known to all sku is a name known to all sku is a name known to all sku is a name known to all
Default True

IT is not a industry in itself, It supports rest of industries by making softwares for helping them. So when rest of industries will be down , IT will also be down. As you know whenever there is cost cutting measures , IT budget is first on the chopping board.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sku View Post
IT is not a industry in itself, It supports rest of industries by making softwares for helping them.
Very well put. Very few ppl realize that IT is not an industry in its own standing. It exists to serve other industries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sku View Post
So when rest of industries will be down , IT will also be down. As you know whenever there is cost cutting measures , IT budget is first on the chopping board.
Mostly true but not always. In fact, sometimes companies take the view of investing in software implementation so that they can layoff staff from other departments. Depends on how a company uses IT to its advantage.
The gist for tough times is you want to be producing something valuable or atleast ppl should have the perception that you are valuable

Old 01-26-2009, 07:48 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute
Default IT may be the last one to suffer

It is true that IT will also suffer along with the whole economy. IT is not under some special protection from the Gods.

But hard code programming may be the last thing an organization will touch in this touch economic times.

So, this is the time to improve your programming skills. Take a couple of certifications. Read some books and work an extra hour every day.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/03/2002
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/03/2002
Compare
my2cents is a jewel in the rough my2cents is a jewel in the rough my2cents is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1techSlave View Post
It is true that IT will also suffer along with the whole economy. IT is not under some special protection from the Gods.

But hard code programming may be the last thing an organization will touch in this touch economic times.

So, this is the time to improve your programming skills. Take a couple of certifications. Read some books and work an extra hour every day.

IT is critical enabler for any business. Business looks for IT for improve efficiency and increased automation. Tech bubble is already burst and IT is lot mature.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:12 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/21/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare
saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute

the job cuts in sprint are mainly in network RF engineering and IT 26% layoff compared to overall 14% for the rest of the company.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/19/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saketkapur View Post
the job cuts in sprint are mainly in network RF engineering and IT 26% layoff compared to overall 14% for the rest of the company.
Its time to start bringing more attention to our backlogs issues atleast now by whatever peaceful means. Check my thread "you're fired, next week".. We dont need to get to that state to wake up.. It can be done much before..

Old 01-27-2009, 02:14 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/04/2008
Compare
xyzgc has a reputation beyond repute xyzgc has a reputation beyond repute xyzgc has a reputation beyond repute xyzgc has a reputation beyond repute xyzgc has a reputation beyond repute xyzgc has a reputation beyond repute xyzgc has a reputation beyond repute xyzgc has a reputation beyond repute xyzgc has a reputation beyond repute xyzgc has a reputation beyond repute xyzgc has a reputation beyond repute

http://layoffblog.com/

check this daily as its updated every day.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:00 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2006
Compare
BECsufferer is infamous around these parts BECsufferer is infamous around these parts BECsufferer is infamous around these parts BECsufferer is infamous around these parts BECsufferer is infamous around these parts BECsufferer is infamous around these parts
Default Peoria effect?

Hello!

Heard this miserable news, Cat to lay-off 20K. They also talked about 8K contract folks. How bad is the situation in Peoria/Mossville?

Irony is that the CEO is optimistic about near future, while 20K people have been shown bleak future.