Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/20/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/10/2005
Compare
sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold

Ron Hira supports LEGALIZATION OF THE UNDOCUMENTED. But he wants the his students who are educated at the school where is is "professor" Rochester Institute of Technology, to be thrown out of America. And he says thats good for Amercia. Can he explain that? See below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<Vivek Wadhwa> wrote

Ron, why are you so shocked at the xenophobia which you are unleashing? You knew the discussion on CNBC was about 50 MBA students having their offers rescinded. CNBC didn’t mislead you as you claim. They told us in advance what the topic was and what we would be discussing. How could they have discussed permanent immigration in this short segment?

You know that once a foreign student accepts an offer and starts the visa process, they lose other options. And you know that when offers are rescinded, this is a life changing event for those students. Their families used their savings or got loans to send them here and these students had hoped that they would earn enough to pay off this debt. Foreign students don't get a second chance to look for jobs and must return home immediately. I have received emails from some who are depressed and suicidal. Yes, I know you can recite equally depressing stories about Americans. I am not saying that a foreigner should get preference over an American. But I am saying that the one with the superior skills should be allowed to get the job they deserve. Let the employers decide. This is a free country, after all.

How can you make statements on TV that "Bank of America did not hire American workers first and/or were going to replace American workers with those MBA’s”. How do you know this? You are an academic representing a top university. How can you categorically state that “bank has a policy of replacing American workers with cheap H1B’s”? This is bizarre, my friend. If I was a B of A exec, I would have filed a lawsuit against RIT for your making this claim.

It is true that some skilled engineers on H1B visas with many years experience get paid somewhat less than comparable American workers. But so what? You’re going to throw out all foreign students in revenge? And what evidence do you have that entry level MBA’s hired by companies like B of A make less than Americans? I know for a fact that entry-level salaries are generally consistent and foreign students DON’T get paid less than Americans. How do I know this? Because I have been a VP at a top investment bank and a tech exec. And I know many students who have received such job offers. And yes, I did hire H1B’s. (I know you are trying to portray this as unpatriotic).

As far as your statements about supporting skilled immigration, you are playing the same games as the anti-immigrant extremists who are your fans and followers. You want all sorts of restrictions on this. I also noted that you were remarkably silent on that misleading Associated Press story…and you have been remarkably silent on the incessant attacks which your followers have unleashed on me because of the CNBC interview. I find this shocking.

Vivek

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 1:04 PM
To:
Subject: IMMIGRATION: Ron Hira's Clarifications re: Immigration and CNBC Comments

Ron Hira, to whom references were made in the previous posts on the CNBC debate, is a member of this List. Both Ron Hira and Vivek Wadhwa have been long-time supporters of SAJA and have participated in SAJA panels and programs.

Thanks to both Vivek and Ron for their fuller explanations on this topic, going beyond what a television debate can capture.

Ron's comments and clarifications are posted below.

In addition, as a response to the prior discussion, Ron says: "While my research area isn't low-skill immigration, I support the legalization of undocumented workers, converting them to legal permanent residents. Call it amnesty if you like."

John

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Date: Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 11:31 AM
Subject: Re: IMMIGRATION: CNBC on layoffs: should foreigners be fired first?

To:
This is so bizarre I'm shocked. I can only assume there are two factors

at play. First, the highly misleading phrase "foreign born" used by the

CNBC commentators, and second ignorance of the policy debates about high-skill immigration to the US.

I had avoided responding to the earlier ad hominem attacks on this august listserv, and I will continue to do so.

As I have repeatedly stated publicly and consistently I support increased permanent immigration to the US. See for example, this exchange in the WSJ that I had with Bob Hoffman, the chief spokesperson for CompeteAmerica the coalition lobbying for increases in the H-1B cap.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB117388283731536825.html

Here is just one relevant excerpt from one of my responses:

"America should have policies to encourage the best and brightest to come to the U.S. and stay. In order to meet this goal, we need to fix the H-1B and L-1 guest-worker programs as well as our Employment Based Greencard program. Groups like Immigration Voice, which represents foreign guest workers who want to stay in the U.S. permanently, have some good ideas on how to improve the green card process. But we should not confuse or conflate a guest-worker program, which the H-1B and L-1 visas are, with immigration."

You can read the whole thing if you are so inclined.

Further, if you actually watch the CNBC video

(http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1056896654&play=1), you'll see at the bottom of the screen it says at one point: "HIRA: I'M FOR MORE PERMANENT IMMIGRATION". The commentators had every opportunity to discuss the problems associated with permanent immigration but they chose not to.

And, lest you think that I am all words and no action, I would note that I have also been actively involved with IEEE-USA (as a member and a VP and board member), which has advocated increases in the legal permanent resident (greencard) quotas. See for example, congressional testimony by Lee Colby, an IEEE-USA member: "The Need for Green Cards for Highly Skilled Workers" http://www.ieeeusa.org/policy/policy/2008/061208.pdf

Relevant excerpts:

To this end, IEEE-USA urges Congress to put aside longstanding partisan differences and take immediate steps to:

1. Increase the availability of permanent, employment-based (EB) visas and streamline the
immigrant admissions (Green Card) process in order to make these visas the preferred
path to legal permanent resident status and full citizenship for foreign professionals in

STEM fields,
2. Allow foreign students who earn advanced degrees in STEM fields from U.S. colleges and universities to transition directly from temporary student visas to legal permanent resident (Green Card) status, IEEE-USA has jointly written letters with the Semiconductor Industry Association supporting Rep. Lofgren's legislation for more greencards.

See: http://www.ieeeusa.org/policy/policy/2008/051608.pdf

And: http://www.ieeeusa.org/policy/policy/2008/051408.pdf

I am happy to engage in a rational discussion with anyone about U.S. high-skill immigration policy. There is much wrong with it, and a lot of serious analysis and policy design work still needs to be done.

Cheers,

Ron

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The whole history of these books is so defective and doubtful that it seems vain to attempt minute enquiry into it: and such tricks have been played with their text, and with the texts of other books relating to them, that we have a right, from that cause, to entertain much doubt what parts of them are genuine. In the New Testament there is internal evidence that parts of it have proceeded from an extraordinary man; and that other parts are of the fabric of very inferior minds. It is as easy to separate those parts, as to pick out diamonds from dunghills."

- One Great man to another, 1814
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Priority Date
:
May-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Chargeability
:
Philippines
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
validIV will become famous soon enough validIV will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Good luck. Is there any web URL where I can listen to this via computer?
http://wamu.org/streams/live/1/live.m3u

Old 03-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default My questions

Typical Employment offers to Americal Citizens/GC holders is considered Perm if the offer is for more than 6 months. Why not this rule followed for Immigrants?? It is not our mistake that CIS doesn't take I485s or approve I140s ontime.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/29/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/15/2007
Compare
rayoflight has a reputation beyond repute rayoflight has a reputation beyond repute rayoflight has a reputation beyond repute rayoflight has a reputation beyond repute rayoflight has a reputation beyond repute rayoflight has a reputation beyond repute rayoflight has a reputation beyond repute rayoflight has a reputation beyond repute rayoflight has a reputation beyond repute rayoflight has a reputation beyond repute rayoflight has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Thank You Mark. Looking forward to hear the newscast.

Called Senators and Congressmen/women to support the Murray Amendment and HR Bills

http://groups.google.com/group/iv-dc-chapter
Proud Member & Leader of IV-MD-DC-VA Chapter
GREENED: Nov 2011
SUPPORT RECURRING CONTRIBUTIONS

Disclaimer: Please consult an experienced attorney for the best consultation in your matters as my knowledge is hearsay or book read & am not a licensed attorney.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Dec-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
de2002 is a glorious beacon of light de2002 is a glorious beacon of light de2002 is a glorious beacon of light de2002 is a glorious beacon of light de2002 is a glorious beacon of light

I studied in RIT for MS. Luckily I got a job in this economy,But My friend got an offer letter from one of the TARP company and they refuse to give the job at the last moment. He did MBA .He left last week to India. This is ridiculous !

Old 03-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2006
Chargeability
:
United Kingdom
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/03/2007
Compare
mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ron Hira

I'm going to stay away from personalizing if I can against Ron, because it gets off the point in the time allowed, and personal attacks are too easy to defend and can appear bigoted (especially when he is the professional debater).

Indeed I'm hoping for personal attacks against me, because that gives me more microphone time and more opportunity to defend a communal position.
If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoice. It will help us continue this effort and serve the community. Thank you.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/01/2003
Compare
trueguy has much to be proud of trueguy has much to be proud of trueguy has much to be proud of trueguy has much to be proud of trueguy has much to be proud of trueguy has much to be proud of trueguy has much to be proud of trueguy has much to be proud of
Default CIR in action

Is anybody aware of this activity?

http://shusterman.com/pdf/cir309.pdf

Thanks.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Mar-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/28/2007
Compare
kartikiran has a reputation beyond repute kartikiran has a reputation beyond repute kartikiran has a reputation beyond repute kartikiran has a reputation beyond repute kartikiran has a reputation beyond repute kartikiran has a reputation beyond repute kartikiran has a reputation beyond repute kartikiran has a reputation beyond repute kartikiran has a reputation beyond repute kartikiran has a reputation beyond repute kartikiran has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best of luck

Mark,

Any attention you are trying to bring to the EB legal immigrants cause is always appreciated.

On top of it for you to be involved after getting your green card is always commended by people like us who have been legal, paying taxes(> 10 years in my case) and still not sure about our status in this country.

A quick note, in my case, I am eligible for Social Security Benefits having logged more than 40 credits of income but I may be denied green card. I am sure case like mine does have implications on the overall economy too.

Thanks for the carrying the word and your work around.

Kiran.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by de2002 View Post
I studied in RIT for MS. Luckily I got a job in this economy,But My friend got an offer letter from one of the TARP company and they refuse to give the job at the last moment. He did MBA .He left last week to India. This is ridiculous !
You should call in during the show and say this!

Got GC in Sept 2011

Spread the RALLY message on:
Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Contribute | HR3012 Wiki
Info on Rally | Accommodation | Air Miles | Carpool | Merchandize | Posters | Volunteers

Old 03-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikiran View Post

A quick note, in my case, I am eligible for Social Security Benefits having logged more than 40 credits of income but I may be denied green card. I am sure case like mine does have implications on the overall economy too.

Thanks for the carrying the word and your work around.

Kiran.
Kiran,

Please try to call in during the show to say this!

Got GC in Sept 2011

Info on Rally | Accommodation | Air Miles | Carpool | Merchandize | Posters | Volunteers

Old 03-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Openarms is a glorious beacon of light Openarms is a glorious beacon of light Openarms is a glorious beacon of light Openarms is a glorious beacon of light Openarms is a glorious beacon of light

Please highlight the I-485 EB3 India backlog issue. People like me already waiting for 7 years.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2006
Chargeability
:
United Kingdom
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/03/2007
Compare
mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute
Default format

don't know format yet, might be all three of use at once, or take in turns.
If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoice. It will help us continue this effort and serve the community. Thank you.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:15 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare

1pm now

Got GC in Sept 2011

Old 03-12-2009, 03:16 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bugmenot is just really nice bugmenot is just really nice bugmenot is just really nice bugmenot is just really nice

Its started, everyone tune in !

Old 03-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2006
Chargeability
:
United Kingdom
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/03/2007
Compare

will be full 50 minutes