Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare
tinuverma is a splendid one to behold tinuverma is a splendid one to behold tinuverma is a splendid one to behold tinuverma is a splendid one to behold tinuverma is a splendid one to behold tinuverma is a splendid one to behold tinuverma is a splendid one to behold
Default Woohh...now lets move forward

Mark,
Thanks a lot for doing such a wonderful job. You are the man of the hour.

I agree with people above that Ron Hira is not someone we should pair with. His primary basis is against H1-B visa and finding loop holes in it - write books, give lectures on it and make money. If he is partnering with us, then he would have to find a new topic to write on and get (in)famous. So lets forget Ron Hira.

Now thinking of what's ahead, how would this discussion help us in our cause? I don't think any of the senate members would be listening to this show. We need to think how can we use this as a catalyst to our cause. Any suggestions? Do we need a new thread for that?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2006
Chargeability
:
United Kingdom
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/03/2007
Compare
mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by needhelp! View Post
Should we all thank Ron and gently push him to start highlighting permanent residency backlogs as a cause for H1 abuse??

If his whole agenda is H1 abuse, then this should be part of the solution right?

Possibly this was tried before and the result was the conclusion that RH is anti?
-------
I was just thinking that I ought to send a thank you email to Ron and Demetrios. Whether or not Ron is our buddy, it is good to be civil. And yes, H1 abuse has to be part of the solution, better to work together on common issues than against each other. Durbin Grassly bill is a blunt instrument in addressing this. If we don't suggest better alternatives that's what we'll get.

I kept trying to get over that the abuse is facilitated by poor policy re quota, and little standards for initial H1. I just fluffed the last sentence trying to make that point (I was watching clock very carefully, but am not good at multitasking).
If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoice. It will help us continue this effort and serve the community. Thank you.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils_Advocate View Post
Lets not get carried away, Ron Hira's position is well known, do hear his tiff with wadhwa on CNBC, the fact is that he got cornered on this debate and tied down so he stopped barking amidst a few whimpers here and there. Ron Hira will never take our side, it will erode his support base nor should we think he's on our side, remember he paints ALL H-1bs with the same stroke, that of low to average skilled low wage workers, thats his agenda and claim to fame period.
Thanks for pointing that out. I will try to watch this if it is online.

Got GC in Sept 2011

Spread the RALLY message on:
Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Contribute | HR3012 Wiki
Info on Rally | Accommodation | Air Miles | Carpool | Merchandize | Posters | Volunteers

Old 03-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-08
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/02/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future

Great job by Mark... Thanks to IV for engaging the media and highlighting our plight.... Looking forward to more such media discussions and positive publicity on the road to Permanent Residency in US and how hard it is....

Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Good Job !

Thanks Mark for representing us !

EB3 - India - PD - Sep 2004
I140/485 AP - 08/02/2007
FP - 11/2007
AP/EAD - 11/2007
AP/EAD - 2008
AP - 2009
EAD - 2010

Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
narendra_modi is infamous around these parts narendra_modi is infamous around these parts narendra_modi is infamous around these parts narendra_modi is infamous around these parts narendra_modi is infamous around these parts narendra_modi is infamous around these parts narendra_modi is infamous around these parts narendra_modi is infamous around these parts narendra_modi is infamous around these parts narendra_modi is infamous around these parts
Default Thanks Demetrio & Mark

We should also thank Demetri along with Mark - I already did..did you?

Demetrios Papademetriou, President and Board Member, Migration Policy Institute
http://www.migrationpolicy.org/about/staff.php

Thanks
Narendra

Old 03-12-2009, 05:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
nk2006 has a reputation beyond repute nk2006 has a reputation beyond repute nk2006 has a reputation beyond repute nk2006 has a reputation beyond repute nk2006 has a reputation beyond repute nk2006 has a reputation beyond repute nk2006 has a reputation beyond repute nk2006 has a reputation beyond repute nk2006 has a reputation beyond repute nk2006 has a reputation beyond repute nk2006 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by needhelp! View Post
Should we all thank Ron and gently push him to start highlighting permanent residency backlogs as a cause for H1 abuse??

If his whole agenda is H1 abuse, then this should be part of the solution right?

Possibly this was tried before and the result was the conclusion that RH is anti?
If his real agenda is "only" H1B abuse - then its useful. But his real agenda is different - he is just catering to his constituency (he might be associated with an higher educational institution but in a way he is a politician) and what they want is protectionism. They want to add some legitimate arguments around it so use "H1B abuse" as the pretext. The real intention is to stop skilled immigration - period. I heard arguments between him and Vivek Wadhwa (whose philosophy is more near to IV's goals) sometime back and think its of no use to contact him.

Thanks to Mark and others for today's program (I missed it but will listen to it later - seems to be a good one). thanks.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:23 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future
Default Ron Hira : He'll soon become a politician

Just another angle to think about, while we are talking about 'Ron' here, he's getting cheap publicity...He may not have anything against us at heart, but this could be his ploy to get into national media thru the easiest route 'Attack the weakest', this is the route taken by lot of politicians in our home country, recent examples being 'Raj Thakrey', 'Pramod Muthalik'...They were waiting for ages to get media attention.
Don't be surprised to see this guy 'Ron' running(and may be even winning) from some red state.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/19/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/26/2007
Compare
Amma has a reputation beyond repute Amma has a reputation beyond repute Amma has a reputation beyond repute Amma has a reputation beyond repute Amma has a reputation beyond repute Amma has a reputation beyond repute Amma has a reputation beyond repute Amma has a reputation beyond repute Amma has a reputation beyond repute Amma has a reputation beyond repute Amma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thanks Mark

and all others who actively participated.
Mark is a inspiration .Even after getting the green card , he is actively involving for our cause. Thanks Mark and Thanks IV.
4. Attented DC Lobby through Tx chapter- April 2011

Old 03-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jun-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Compare
amits has a brilliant future amits has a brilliant future amits has a brilliant future amits has a brilliant future amits has a brilliant future amits has a brilliant future amits has a brilliant future amits has a brilliant future amits has a brilliant future amits has a brilliant future amits has a brilliant future

Great job, Mark and others on the call !! THANKS!!!

If someone missed it live, here is the link to listen to the segment:

http://wamu.org/audio/kn/09/03/k2090312-25106.ram

- $500 one time + $100 for DC rally + Around $500 in monthly contribution
- List of media contacts for Sep 18 rally.
- Thank you cards to heroes who helped fixing July visa bulletin

Old 03-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare
gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by de2002 View Post
I studied in RIT for MS. Luckily I got a job in this economy,But My friend got an offer letter from one of the TARP company and they refuse to give the job at the last moment. He did MBA .He left last week to India. This is ridiculous !
can you pls. mail info@immigrationvoice.com?
They can put in touch with a journalist who is doing a story about people affected by Financial crisis. I did talk to that journalist but she mentioned that her focus is people impacted by fin. crisis.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shana04 View Post
Can some one post the link to the recording.

Thanks and Good job Mark
Here is the link...

http://wamu.org/audio/kn/09/03/k2090312-25106.asx

Old 03-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
oliTwist has a spectacular aura about oliTwist has a spectacular aura about
Default Thanks Mark!

Thanks Mark for representing us!

Old 03-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/07/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Compare
maddipati1 is infamous around these parts maddipati1 is infamous around these parts maddipati1 is infamous around these parts maddipati1 is infamous around these parts maddipati1 is infamous around these parts maddipati1 is infamous around these parts maddipati1 is infamous around these parts maddipati1 is infamous around these parts maddipati1 is infamous around these parts maddipati1 is infamous around these parts maddipati1 is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up waav thats a great program

hearing the words.. i was going.. EXACTLY.. YES, THATS RIGHT... all the time.

thankx MARK for your help and IV for arranging it. u have the great skill to talk in a these kind of programs. well prepared, precise, to the pont, clear in what u want to say, overall undestanding for any unexpected questions.

i loved high-lighing,

1) "longer GC wait periods facilitates employer's abusing H1B program".

2) the input to the US immi pipe thru H1B should match output thru GCs.

only thing i noticed is, you were focussed on removing per country quota, which requires legislative change, which is as impossible as CIR.

should have highlighed, "recapture of un-used VISAs", which is due to admin inefficiency, which is feasible. please highlight this next time u get a chance.

but, i doubt anyone else could deliver half of what u did. great job. u the man for the job.

on a side note, i liked Kojo instantly when, in one of the breaks, he played Led Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song" that starts with 'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...'
:-) very thoughful of him.

Last edited by maddipati1; 03-12-2009 at 08:55 PM.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/01/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ujjwal_p is a splendid one to behold ujjwal_p is a splendid one to behold ujjwal_p is a splendid one to behold ujjwal_p is a splendid one to behold ujjwal_p is a splendid one to behold ujjwal_p is a splendid one to behold ujjwal_p is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbartosik View Post
I'll be on the Kojo Nnamdi show on WAMU at 1pm.

The topic is high skilled immigration in the recession.
You can listen in live via a web stream at WAMU.org
There will be an audio archive available at wamu.org about 1 hour after the show.

WAMU is a Washington DC NPR station.

There will be three guests...
Ron Hira (spelling?) who is an well known anti (via phone)
Demetrios Papademetriou (migrationpolicy.org) seems to be a very analytical chap (in studio)
Mark Bartosik (me) ImmigrationVoice.org (via phone)

I'm going to try to swing the debate around to how we can fix the system, which of course requires acknowledging that it is broken, and that may mean agreeing with Ron on some points, but then proposing how we fix it (get GC wait down, country quota, loosen employer ties, grace periods between jobs, prioritizing H1B - rather than lottery).

Forgive me if I cannot cover it all. I've done this before and it is hugely difficult to get a message out in a short period of time, while debating professionals in the subject, especially when they may want to talk about different aspects.

Great job Mark! I listened to the recording. I wish I had seen this earlier.

Ron mentions companies like Pfizer, IBM and others who were using H-1B's for outsourcing. First of all that is an isolated example and extremely unscientific for a Professor like Ron to use while explaining his stand. I loved how Demetri talked about Ron having a hearing problem.

Secondly, even if it's true, the point is why do companies do that? Obviously cost is an issue, in some cases it is cheaper to use foreign workers. But the other important point is, these companies with the reduced H-1B intake can't get the requisite talent anymore. Small and big companies have to make strategic decisions 5-10 years down the line when visualizing how to grow their business. If they see that America is going to be tougher with regard to being able to attract and recruit talent, they have numerous options to find the talent (and cheaper I may add) and they will move there. That's the point that is missing. It's not always about cost, it's also about long term strategic goals for a company.

This is why the US is in even greater danger now. Now in the top univs/colleges in India, nobody cares about the US anymore. You can make a lot of money, work on cutting edge research stuff and possibly visit the US/Europe on business, all the while living and enjoying life in Bangalore/Delhi. The new kids from the top engg./mgmt colleges are no longer enamored with the US like we were. And that's a great thing for India,China. I'm sure lots of us here are reconsidering our strategy of setting in the US with the insane wait times. The sooner something is done about this the better. Otherwise in addition to a stop to the brain drain that is already occuring from the East to the West, there will be a reverse brain drain from the West to the East. And once that's started, that could go on for generations.