Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Mexico
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Reuters: Immigration Reform Will Speed Economic Recovery

This is very true, wheels are starting to turn. We need to come together and convey this to the public and to law makers. Let's get on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, write to Obama, Congress, Newspapers, with our cause. This is the time to do it! We as immigrants can take the U.S. out of the recession and into a strong economy if Immigration Reform is enacted. Please share your ideas on how we can come together and ACT!!! This is out time, let's not waste this opportunity!!

http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debat...omic-recovery/

We made history at the DC rally! This is only the beginning and Victory is the only option. We'll reach it together!

Let's focus on more action to stop the U.S. Reverse Brain Drain! Let's not let the iron cool!
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2009, 01:32 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/30/2011
Compare
thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
This is very true, wheels are starting to turn. We need to come together and convey this to the public and to law makers. Let's get on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, write to Obama, Congress, Newspapers, with our cause. This is the time to do it! We as immigrants can take the U.S. out of the recession and into a strong economy if Immigration Reform is enacted. Please share your ideas on how we can come together and ACT!!! This is out time, let's not waste this opportunity!!

Jaime, but CIR would involve point based system (with people in early stages asked to refile??) and the extreme demand on the system could again create a huge backlog. Shouldn't we encourage legal immigration reform seperate from the CIR? specific goals like preventing visa wastage, taking of country limit, etc.
Also why not consider law suits against the unjustifiable delay in processing (Labor, I-140 and 485). Murthy bulletin seems to encourage such law suits and they seem to have won some in past.
anyway this was just my opinion. I completely agree with you though, that something needs to be done and really fast and strong.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime View Post

Good, lets all hope something happens - but in reality, unless we help ourselves, even if CIR comes - our issues will not be addressed.

The sad reality is - our community is not ready to help ourselves

Old 04-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/20/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/06/2007
Compare
arunmohan has much to be proud of arunmohan has much to be proud of arunmohan has much to be proud of arunmohan has much to be proud of arunmohan has much to be proud of arunmohan has much to be proud of arunmohan has much to be proud of arunmohan has much to be proud of arunmohan has much to be proud of
Default How to unite our community

Hello Chandu:

I agree with you that our community does not help to ourselves. Could you/core team please suggest something so that we can start getting united?

I don't know what core team is thinking. Do you know if they have any plan to proceed in this direction?

I see that one day someone comes start a new thread to do something but next day that thread as well as that person would disappear.

We need to make some kind of concrete plan, if core team comes with that plan that would be better and it would be accepted by others.
Filed Labor first time in Jan 2001(EB2) but dot com bubble destroyed it.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/14/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/14/2004
Compare
jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to Unite community? - Faith

There is a simple answer to this. Have complete faith and trust in IV. That should be it.
I have seen members quarrelling, demanding answers form core, asking how money is spent, they want something in return for contributions in the form of access to info on what is going on behind the scens and so on.
Stop asking. Start giving. That giving includes placing your complete faith and trust with IV bseides your monetory and other contributions.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/19/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute

Very good article..
We need to put in our efforts now..

Core team.. please..

Old 04-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/16/2007
Chargeability
:
Cyprus
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
gapala is infamous around these parts gapala is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri1309 View Post
Very good article..
We need to put in our efforts now..

Core team.. please..
What happened to the article? Link takes me to a page with heading no article.. did they delete it?
do we have it somewhere?.. guys... please going forward, copy past the text so that we have it here... along side link..

Old 04-10-2009, 03:02 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/17/2007
Compare
Harivinder is a glorious beacon of light Harivinder is a glorious beacon of light Harivinder is a glorious beacon of light Harivinder is a glorious beacon of light Harivinder is a glorious beacon of light Harivinder is a glorious beacon of light
Default Point base will not make much of difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomachan72 View Post
Jaime, but CIR would involve point based system (with people in early stages asked to refile??) and the extreme demand on the system could again create a huge backlog. Shouldn't we encourage legal immigration reform seperate from the CIR? specific goals like preventing visa wastage, taking of country limit, etc.
Also why not consider law suits against the unjustifiable delay in processing (Labor, I-140 and 485). Murthy bulletin seems to encourage such law suits and they seem to have won some in past.
anyway this was just my opinion. I completely agree with you though, that something needs to be done and really fast and strong.
I think even if point base system is implemented it will not make much of a difference because the Employment based green card limit will still be the same (140000). I don’t think the point based system will increase the visa (Green Card) numbers. Secondly the Country Cap will still be applicable. It might help us get independent of the employers.
It is more important to get rig of the country cap, recapture unused visa numbers form past and increase visa (Green Card) numbers, IV should keep pushing for these 3.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/23/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/22/2007
Compare
vine93 has a brilliant future vine93 has a brilliant future vine93 has a brilliant future vine93 has a brilliant future vine93 has a brilliant future vine93 has a brilliant future vine93 has a brilliant future vine93 has a brilliant future vine93 has a brilliant future vine93 has a brilliant future vine93 has a brilliant future

somehow it didn't work for me in IE7 but worked in Mozilla.
* Called members of Hispanic Caucus
* Approached local people to join IV

Old 04-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Compare
joydiptac has a reputation beyond repute joydiptac has a reputation beyond repute joydiptac has a reputation beyond repute joydiptac has a reputation beyond repute joydiptac has a reputation beyond repute joydiptac has a reputation beyond repute joydiptac has a reputation beyond repute joydiptac has a reputation beyond repute joydiptac has a reputation beyond repute joydiptac has a reputation beyond repute joydiptac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Here is The Article from those who are not able to read it there:

source: http://blogs.reuters. com/ great-debate/2009/04/10/immigration-can-speed-economic-recovery/ take out space before com and great.
I quote the immigration article here as it is not available to view in IE in the web site anymore. You can still view it with Firefox though:
"
Quote:
Immigration can speed economic recovery
By: Diana Furchtgott-Roth
her photo:

–- Diana Furchtgott-Roth, former chief economist at the U.S. Department of Labor, is a senior fellow at the Hudson Institute. —

It’s welcome news that President Obama will turn his attention to immigration reform this year, as was announced on Wednesday by Deputy Assistant to the President Cecilia Muñoz. Economic recovery will happen more quickly if both high- and low-skill immigrants are permitted to enter the United States and work legally.

Two years ago, when Congress was considering comprehensive immigration reform, both President Bush’s Council of Economic Advisers and the Congressional Budget Office, headed by Peter Orszag, an economist closely identified with the Democratic Party, estimated that the benefits of additional immigrants outweighed the costs. If Congress allowed more immigration, then American taxpayers would come out ahead financially.

Yet, after Congress refused to pass President Bush’s plan to allow most undocumented workers to receive work visas and wait in line for citizenship, the Bush administration’s immigration policy deteriorated into a series of arbitrary raids on different companies, rounding up undocumented workers and deporting them, in many cases separating husbands and wives, parents and children.

We can do better. Although the unemployment rate reached 8.5 percent last month, the jobs are going to come back, and, as has been the case in the past, native-born Americans will want jobs that are different from those of immigrants, according to economics professor Giovanni Peri of the University of California at Davis.

Congress needs to overhaul immigration law and create an expanded temporary worker program with a path to citizenship, along with more verification to prevent workers from working illegally, and monitoring of tourists and students so that they do not overstay their visas.

A rational immigration policy would have numerous advantages:

- Undocumented workers would pay taxes to federal and state governments rather than to grey-market check cashing services.

- Payments for health care through insurance could be collected more easily, rather than burdening hospital emergency rooms with immigrants without health insurance.

- Foreigners who want to work here could pay the government for visas rather than pay smugglers for unsafe, illicit transportation.

- Improvements in security. Legal visas and bank accounts would make it far easier to identify and track potential terrorists, dubious financial transactions, and those who simply overstay visas.

A rational immigration policy would solve several real problems the United States faces with regard to immigration. The international economy is tremendously dynamic; our immigration system is not. Temporary workers must spend months applying for admission, and due to the pile-up in April of every year, may not even get a visa.

Few low-skilled workers have a legal and reliable method to enter this country and work legally, and few Americans want to do the jobs, such as fruit picking and cleaning, that these workers want to pursue. And even high-skilled workers trained at U.S. colleges and universities, often at taxpayer expense, might have to wait years and spend thousands of dollars to become permanent residents of the nation.

Mr. Obama might want to consider transferring the authority of setting quotas from Congress to the Labor Department. The Labor Department already has the presumptive authority to judge whether demand for foreign labor is justified, through its foreign labor certifications. If the Labor Department is allowed to determine whether or not a foreign worker would displace a native one, it could also be allowed to calculate visa quotas.

High-skilled workers educated in America ought to be able to stay; otherwise, our investment in their education becomes lost to another country. If the Labor Department determines that a foreign worker would not displace Americans, that worker should not be barred from entering the country due to an arbitrary quota. And people who want to enter this country in order to work in jobs Americans are not willing to take ought to have an easy, legal way to do so.

Mr. Obama has the opportunity to craft a sensible and dynamic immigration system. All Americans should wish him success.
"

Last edited by joydiptac; 04-10-2009 at 03:29 PM. Reason: trying to see if I can get the image to show. :-(