Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 12:30 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of
Default Grassley's still unsure why he opposed Sotomayor in '98

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/art.../-1/BUSINESS04

Grassley's still unsure why he opposed Sotomayor in '98

Iowa Sen. Charles Grassley said today he still cannot recall why he opposed Sonia Sotomayor's confirmation to a federal appeals court judgeship 11 years ago, after searching the congressional record for answers.

Grassley was among three Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee and 29 Republican members in the Senate to vote against her 1998 confirmation.

Grassley said last week he could not recall why he opposed her and that he would have to search the record for his statements at the time.
Advertisement

"But we've looked in the record of the committee and the congressional record and there's no statement by me," Grassley said today. "So, I don't know why."

When pressed, Grassley replied that he was very curious about his reason for opposing Sotomayor, a federal district court judge who was confirmed to the 2nd District Court of Appeals despite Grassley's opposition.

"I want to know why myself," Grassley said. "I probably want to know why more than (reporters) want to know why."

Grassley said the answer is irrelevant, in light of his position to judge the nominee on her judicial philosophy for the Supreme Court and decide how he will vote after she testifies before the committee.

"Even if I knew why I voted against her, I still need to see her as a new person and make up my mind after the hearing," he said.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2009, 04:58 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc28262 View Post
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/art.../-1/BUSINESS04

Grassley's still unsure why he opposed Sotomayor in '98

Iowa Sen. Charles Grassley said today he still cannot recall why he opposed Sonia Sotomayor's confirmation to a federal appeals court judgeship 11 years ago, after searching the congressional record for answers.

Grassley was among three Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee and 29 Republican members in the Senate to vote against her 1998 confirmation.

Grassley said last week he could not recall why he opposed her and that he would have to search the record for his statements at the time.
Advertisement

"But we've looked in the record of the committee and the congressional record and there's no statement by me," Grassley said today. "So, I don't know why."

When pressed, Grassley replied that he was very curious about his reason for opposing Sotomayor, a federal district court judge who was confirmed to the 2nd District Court of Appeals despite Grassley's opposition.

"I want to know why myself," Grassley said. "I probably want to know why more than (reporters) want to know why."

Grassley said the answer is irrelevant, in light of his position to judge the nominee on her judicial philosophy for the Supreme Court and decide how he will vote after she testifies before the committee.

"Even if I knew why I voted against her, I still need to see her as a new person and make up my mind after the hearing," he said.
5 years from now he'll be unsure why he is so anti-H1B.

With all due respect Sen Grassley is now 75 years old. Most people consider 65 to be the general retirement age (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retirement#USA). Now that his memory is so publicly failing him, is'nt it time for him to hang up his boots and go fishing or golfing? Spend more time with his family? that sort of thing. The last time he threw a temper tantrum and fired off nasty letters to a bunch of Indian companies (crossing all diplomatic channels). Try that with China and he would have to soon apologize... Please retire and save us all these embarassments and harassments.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:21 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridiani.planum View Post
5 years from now he'll be unsure why he is so anti-H1B.

With all due respect Sen Grassley is now 75 years old. Most people consider 65 to be the general retirement age (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retirement#USA). Now that his memory is so publicly failing him, is'nt it time for him to hang up his boots and go fishing or golfing? Spend more time with his family? that sort of thing. The last time he threw a temper tantrum and fired off nasty letters to a bunch of Indian companies (crossing all diplomatic channels). Try that with China and he would have to soon apologize... Please retire and save us all these embarassments and harassments.
We are no way getting away from Grassleys. His Grandson is already in politics. Likely to replace him when he retires. Hopefully he won't be as ignorant as his grandfather.

http://blogs.cqpolitics.com/eyeon201...ready-sha.html