Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2009, 09:51 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Oct-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gc_peshwa has a reputation beyond repute gc_peshwa has a reputation beyond repute gc_peshwa has a reputation beyond repute gc_peshwa has a reputation beyond repute gc_peshwa has a reputation beyond repute gc_peshwa has a reputation beyond repute gc_peshwa has a reputation beyond repute gc_peshwa has a reputation beyond repute gc_peshwa has a reputation beyond repute gc_peshwa has a reputation beyond repute gc_peshwa has a reputation beyond repute
Question Whats in CIR for Legal Immigrants?

Hello Everyone
With each passing day the drumbeats for getting CIR passed in 2009 keep getting louder!
I wanted to know whats in it for legal immigrants? All the while "Amnesty to Illegal Immigrants" seems to occupy all the news articles. What about Legal Immigrants?
  • How Many Visas will be available for Legal Immigrants per year?
  • Assuming the CIR is passed(!!) When can we start filing for AoS?
  • Are there any reliable sources of information on the internet about my questions?

I did come across this link http://www.heritage.org/research/immigration/wm1076.cfm.
Of course above article is based on the CIR of 2007.I dont know what is on the plate for Legal Immigrants in CIR of 2009.
Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of

That's a very good question. In 2007 also we all were hoping that CIR will bring relief to legal immigrant. Unfortunately in CIR 2007 there was nothing good for legal immigrant. In fact it was bad for legal immigrant. We should not be hopeful for CIR 2009. We will have to fight our own battle.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
hydboy77 is a splendid one to behold hydboy77 is a splendid one to behold hydboy77 is a splendid one to behold hydboy77 is a splendid one to behold hydboy77 is a splendid one to behold hydboy77 is a splendid one to behold

Excellent question, what's in it for EB folks in CIR, the answer is a resounding no, if you go by CIR 2007 passed by the democrats. Infact CIR 2007 was so bad that IV opposed it and so did all EB attorneys. Most if not all people here are delusional when it comes to CIR. They have unrealistic hopes on CIR. No CIR is better going by CIR 2007.

CIR can be good for EB folks if it has
1. Visa recapture.
2. SKILL bill provisions which exempt US educated Masters and Phd holders in STEM field from green card visa quota
3. Exemption of spouse and children from Green Card visa numbers.
4. Basically any provision which would make EB2 and Eb3 India, China and EB3 ROW current. Provisions 1, 2and 3 can easily do that. Infact provisions 1,2 and 3 were in the CIR passed by Arlen Specter in 2006 but once the democrats took over they pushed aside people like Arlen Specter who was a friend of EB and CIR was taken over by fanatic left wing folks like Kennedy, Sanders and right wing lunatics like Sessions, Grassley and Jon Kyl. Long story short Democrats agenda was help illegals and secure the hispanic vote, republican rednecks agenda was oppose non whites immigration and prove there conservative credentials. In the compromise that followed in return for the republican support for illegals amnesty the democrats led by Kennedy throw the EB community under the bus in the name of immigration reform and points based nonsense.

We have to make sure Obama and durbin do not copy and paste CIR 2007 into CIR 2009. Therefore our best chance is individual bills which have visa recpture and not CIR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc_peshwa View Post
Hello Everyone
With each passing day the drumbeats for getting CIR passed in 2009 keep getting louder!
I wanted to know whats in it for legal immigrants? All the while "Amnesty to Illegal Immigrants" seems to occupy all the news articles. What about Legal Immigrants?
  • Are there any reliable sources of information on the internet about my questions?

I did come across this link http://www.heritage.org/research/immigration/wm1076.cfm.
Of course above article is based on the CIR of 2007.I dont know what is on the plate for Legal Immigrants in CIR of 2009.

Last edited by hydboy77; 06-11-2009 at 11:43 PM.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:26 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Mexico
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute
Default SKIL Bill was not just for STEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydboy77 View Post
Excellent question, what's in it for EB folks in CIR, the answer is a resounding no, if you go by CIR 2007 passed by the democrats. Infact CIR 2007 was so bad that IV opposed it and so did all EB attorneys. Most if not all people here are delusional when it comes to CIR. They have unrealistic hopes on CIR. No CIR is better going by CIR 2007.

CIR can be good for EB folks if it has
1. Visa recapture.
2. SKILL bill provisions which exempt US educated Masters and Phd holders in STEM field from green card visa quota
3. Exemption of spouse and children from Green Card visa numbers.
4. Basically any provision which would make EB2 and Eb3 India, China and EB3 ROW current. Provisions 1, 2and 3 can easily do that. Infact provisions 1,2 and 3 were in the CIR passed by Arlen Specter in 2006 but once the democrats took over they pushed aside people like Arlen Specter who was a friend of EB and CIR was taken over by fanatic left wing folks like Kennedy, Sanders and right wing lunatics like Sessions, Grassley and Jon Kyl. Long story short Democrats agenda was help illegals and secure the hispanic vote, republican rednecks agenda was oppose non whites immigration and prove there conservative credentials. In the compromise that followed in return for the republican support for illegals amnesty the democrats led by Kennedy throw the EB community under the bus in the name of immigration reform and points based nonsense.

We have to make sure Obama and durbin do not copy and paste CIR 2007 into CIR 2009. Therefore our best chance is individual bills which have visa recpture and not CIR.
Hey, just a comment. SKIL was not just for STEM, it was for all U.S. Master Degree holders.

While CIR 2007 was not perfect, it was not bad either, it depends whom you ask. CIR 07 was bad for those people from STEM fields who are already either in the I-140 or Adjustment of Status phase and are stuck there, but CIR 07 was good for those immigrants early in the process or about to start the process, because of the Points System

The next CIR should be fair to all. It should include immediate relief for those stuck in retrogression, as well as provide a sane Points System for those early in the process, and free people from needing to be sponsored by employers, which in many cases exploit them

We made history at the DC rally! This is only the beginning and Victory is the only option. We'll reach it together!

Let's focus on more action to stop the U.S. Reverse Brain Drain! Let's not let the iron cool!

Old 06-12-2009, 01:47 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/16/2007
Compare
acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute
The CIR of 2007 started off great with many provisions for EB category including visa re-capture. But by the time it went through debates and discussions, all EB category provisions were thrown out. Infact if CIR of 2007 would have passed there would have been a deluge of applications from the illegal folks and it would have caused a huge bottleneck for everyone in EB.

Imagine even if CIR passes with EB category provisions included, we (LEGAL immigrants)will be in the same pool of applications as the 12 million illegals. Ofcourse all 12 million illegals will not be eligible to apply right from day one, but it is going to be a huge number(atleast a few million). I feel we are better off getting a piece meal deal than being part of CIR. I would love to hear more comments on CIR 2009.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Priority Date
:
May-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/20/2002
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/20/2004
Compare
485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute

In addition to the other replies i would like to add the following:

Based on talking to a number of people, my understanding is that it is next to impossible that CIR will be passed this year. Even if a miracle happens and a CIR is passed, it will create a nightmare for the retrogressed EB people already waiting the queue. USCIS will be flooded with applications from undocumented workers that everything will grind to a halt. The best option for us is to focus on recapture before CIR. I will be a gross mistake to pin our hopes on CIR. Just my 2 cents...We need to be practical.

The current adminstrations priorites are
a) health care reform
b) financial reform
c) CIR
I doubt the adminstration will spend the political capital on CIR when the other two issues will help them more with the core voters. Just the mention of CIR brings out the 'they are giving Amnesty to illegals' folks out of the woodworks and they are a very strong voice and united..unlike the rest of us.. the people who linked CIR to the term Amnesty were very smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc_peshwa View Post
Hello Everyone

Last edited by 485Mbe4001; 06-12-2009 at 03:53 PM.