Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2006, 09:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/12/2007
Compare
gc_bucs is a splendid one to behold gc_bucs is a splendid one to behold gc_bucs is a splendid one to behold gc_bucs is a splendid one to behold gc_bucs is a splendid one to behold gc_bucs is a splendid one to behold gc_bucs is a splendid one to behold
Default They want more $$

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060531/...migration_fees
Bookmark and Share Compare

Old 05-31-2006, 10:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/18/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2007
Compare
swarnapuri has a reputation beyond repute swarnapuri has a reputation beyond repute swarnapuri has a reputation beyond repute swarnapuri has a reputation beyond repute swarnapuri has a reputation beyond repute swarnapuri has a reputation beyond repute swarnapuri has a reputation beyond repute swarnapuri has a reputation beyond repute swarnapuri has a reputation beyond repute swarnapuri has a reputation beyond repute swarnapuri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rate down this article

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb3retro
You can go to the end of the article and give a low rating as it only concentrates on the negative aspects and completely ignores the benefits of immigration...

Old 06-01-2006, 08:19 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/26/2007
Compare
arihant will become famous soon enough
Default Column by Jeff Greenfield

This CNN analyst seems to provide some historical perspective on the differences between Senate and the House and its impact on the upcoming conference.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/05/...ion/index.html

Old 06-01-2006, 09:27 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/05/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Compare
summitpointe has much to be proud of summitpointe has much to be proud of summitpointe has much to be proud of summitpointe has much to be proud of summitpointe has much to be proud of summitpointe has much to be proud of summitpointe has much to be proud of summitpointe has much to be proud of
Default Bush Pushes Congress to Reach Agreement on Immigration Legislation

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,197767,00.html

Old 06-01-2006, 09:53 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/01/2005
Compare
BostonGCVictim is a glorious beacon of light BostonGCVictim is a glorious beacon of light BostonGCVictim is a glorious beacon of light BostonGCVictim is a glorious beacon of light BostonGCVictim is a glorious beacon of light

There is a new trend in the media these days, upcoming and new conservative media heads label the rest of the established media as "liberal" in the hopes of getting mass approval. They like to label anyone who doesn't agree with them as anti-American and a sissy. This is analogous to the way BJP in India got mass approval in its earlier days by pushing the Ayodhya mandir philosophy. Please don't start a debate on Indian politics here but I just brought this up to give an analogy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb3retro

Old 06-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute
Default President: All or nothing

Bush urges congress to pass the COMPREHENSIVE bill, that deals with everything.

Once more roadblock from Bush in the way of those who want to split up the bill into the good and popular stuff(borders, interior enforcement, legal backlogs) and the controvertial stuff (guest worker, amnesty).

Per Bush, its would to be All or Nothing

Old 06-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11-01-2005
Chargeability
:
Panama
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
speedo is on a distinguished road
Default Bush urges compromise in immigration debate

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/usa_immig...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Old 06-01-2006, 02:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/19/2007
Chargeability
:
Kenya
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2007
Compare
jkays94 is on a distinguished road
Default Proposal to Implant Tracking Chips in Immigrants

Proposal to Implant Tracking Chips in Immigrants
By Bill Christensen
posted: 31 May 2006
07:04 pm ET

Scott Silverman, Chairman of the Board of VeriChip Corporation, has proposed implanting the company's RFID tracking tags in immigrant and guest workers. He made the statement on national television earlier this week.

http://www.livescience.com/scienceof...fid_chips.html

Old 06-01-2006, 02:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold
Default Nice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkays94
Proposal to Implant Tracking Chips in Immigrants
By Bill Christensen
posted: 31 May 2006
07:04 pm ET

Scott Silverman, Chairman of the Board of VeriChip Corporation, has proposed implanting the company's RFID tracking tags in immigrant and guest workers. He made the statement on national television earlier this week.

http://www.livescience.com/scienceof...fid_chips.html
If they tell me that they will give me my GreenCard and remove the said chip after I get my citizenship, I would do it.

Last edited by admin; 06-01-2006 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Duplicate News

Old 06-01-2006, 02:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/19/2007
Chargeability
:
Kenya
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2007
Compare
jkays94 is on a distinguished road
Default Rousing the Zealots

Rousing the Zealots

Neo-Nazis, white supremacists and militiamen are revivified by the furor over illegal immigration

By JEFFREY RESSNER

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...198895,00.html

Old 06-01-2006, 09:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
apnair2002 is on a distinguished road
Default Bush seeking compromise in immigration debate

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...060100884.html

Bush seeking compromise in immigration debate

By Steve Holland
Reuters
Thursday, June 1, 2006; 6:54 PM

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President George W. Bush said on Thursday an overhaul of U.S. immigration law will require compromise on both sides of the volatile issue and there was "no excuse" for putting it off.

With concern growing that a proposed new immigration law will be difficult to pass ahead of the congressional mid-term election in November, Bush kept up the pressure for legislation that would include a temporary worker program.
The Immigration Debate

Life Along 'La Linea'
The U.S.-Mexico border is at the forefront of a growing debate over U.S. immigration and border security reform.

Lawmakers from the U.S. House of Representatives and the Senate are preparing to convene a conference committee to reconcile competing bills passed by each chamber.

The House bill stresses stronger border protections and would define the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants in the country as felons. The Senate bill, which Bush supports, couples tougher border control with a temporary worker program and path to citizenship for illegal immigrants.

"The House and Senate bills require effort and compromise on both sides," Bush said in a speech to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. "It's a difficult task, yet the difficulty of this task is no excuse for avoiding it."

The White House said Bush would take his case next week for comprehensive reform to New Mexico, Texas and Nebraska.

In California, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said he signed a memorandum of understanding with the U.S. government so that about 1,000 members of the state's National Guard could assist the U.S. Border Patrol along the Mexican border.

The cost of the deployments would be paid by the federal government, said the Republican governor, who had initially opposed National Guard troops being used to bolster the Border Patrol.

In his speech, Bush rejected arguments from some conservative Republicans that the guest worker provision amounts to amnesty for millions of illegal immigrants.

His remarks appeared aimed specifically at Wisconsin Republican Rep. James Sensenbrenner, architect of the House bill, who called the Senate version a grant of amnesty because it would give many illegal immigrants a chance eventually to become citizens.

'NOT AMNESTY'

"Some members of Congress argue that no one who came to this country illegally should be allowed to continue living and working in our country, and that any plan to allows them to stay equals amnesty, no matter how many conditions we impose," Bush said.

Last edited by Berkeleybee; 06-01-2006 at 10:30 PM.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:12 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
brb2 will become famous soon enough brb2 will become famous soon enough

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12867399/

Old 06-02-2006, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Washington Post today

I don't understand why guest workers will get medicaid/medicare or food stamps...see last paragraph. Sounds like there is a lot of hype all round and little real thought.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...060101696.html

Senate Bill Would Add 20 Million Legal Immigrants, Report Says

By Darryl Fears
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, June 2, 2006; Page A04

The nation's population of legal immigrants would increase by nearly 20 million over the next decade if the recently passed Senate immigration bill becomes law, and taxpayers would spend more than $50 billion to operate a new guest-worker program and pay for extra welfare, Social Security and public health-care costs, according to a Congressional Budget Office report.

But the cost of absorbing the newcomers would be offset by a boost of $66 billion in federal revenue from income taxes and payroll taxes generated by the temporary guest-worker program, along with fees that immigrants must pay to participate, the report said.

Follow the link to read on....

Old 06-02-2006, 12:14 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Canada
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
wanna_immigrate is a splendid one to behold wanna_immigrate is a splendid one to behold wanna_immigrate is a splendid one to behold wanna_immigrate is a splendid one to behold wanna_immigrate is a splendid one to behold wanna_immigrate is a splendid one to behold wanna_immigrate is a splendid one to behold wanna_immigrate is a splendid one to behold
Default On a similar note and old article for NY times

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/07/ma...rssnyt&emc=rss

The Way We Live Now
The Other Immigration

By CHRISTOPHER CALDWELL
Published: May 7, 2006
If you were to set out to design a story that would inflame populist rage, it might involve immigrants from poor countries, living in the United States without permission to work, hiring powerful Washington lobbyists to press their case. In late April, The Washington Post reported just such a development. The immigrants in question were highly skilled the programmers and doctors and investment analysts that American business seeks out through so-called H-1B visas, and who are eligible for tens of thousands of "green cards," or permanent work permits, each year. But bureaucracy and an affirmative-action-style system of national-origin quotas have created a mess. India and China account for almost 40 percent of the world's population, yet neither can claim much more than 7 percent of the green cards. Hence a half-million-person backlog and a new political pressure group, which calls itself Immigration Voice.

The group's efforts will be a test of the commonly expressed view that Americans are not opposed to immigration, only to illegal immigration. Immigration Voice represents the kind of immigrants whose economic contributions are obvious. It is not a coincidence that the land of the H-1B is also the land of the iPod. Such immigrants are not "cutting in line" they're petitioning for pre-job documentation, not for post-job amnesty. And people who have undergone 18 years of schooling to learn how to manipulate advanced technology come pre-Americanized, in a way that agricultural workers may not.

But Immigration Voice could still wind up crying in the wilderness. As the Boston College political scientist Peter Skerry has noted, many of the things that bug people about undocumented workers are also true of documented ones. Legal immigrants, too, increase crowding, compete for jobs and government services and create an atmosphere of transience and disruption. Indeed, it may be harder for foreign-born engineers to win the same grip on the sympathies of native-born Americans that undocumented farm laborers and political refugees have. Skilled immigrants can't be understood through the usual paradigms of victimhood.

The economists Philip Martin, Manolo Abella and Christiane Kuptsch noted in a recent book, "As a general rule, the more difficult it is to migrate from one country to another, the higher the percentage of professionals among the migrants from that country." Often this means that the more "backward" the country, the more "sophisticated" the immigrants it supplies. Sixty percent of the Egyptians, Ghanaians and South Africans in the U.S. and 75 percent of Indians have more than 13 years of schooling. Their home countries are not educational powerhouses, yet as individuals, they are more highly educated than a great many of the Americans they live among. (This poses an interesting problem for Immigration Voice, which polices its Web forums for condescending remarks toward manual laborers.)

So how are we supposed to address the special needs of this class of migrant? For the most part, we don't. The differences between skilled and unskilled immigrants are important, but that doesn't mean that they are always readily comprehensible either to politicians or to public opinion. When high-skilled immigrants who are already like us show themselves willing to become even more so, jumping every hoop to join us on a legal footing, it dissolves a lot of resistance. But it doesn't dissolve everything. It doesn't dissolve our sense that people like them are different and potentially even threatening.

If we consider our own internal migration of recent decades, this will not surprise us. You would have expected that big movements of people between states particularly from the North to the Sun Belt and from Pacific Coast cities to Rocky Mountain towns would cause increasing uniformity and unanimity. But that didn't happen. Instead, this big migration has coincided with the much harped-on polarization between "red" and "blue" America.

Georgians take up jobs on Wall Street and New Englanders unload their U-Hauls in Texas. The sky doesn't fall but neither do cultural or political tensions between respective regions of the country. Consider the diatribes that followed the last election, in which "red" America stood accused of everything from ignorance and bloodlust to knee-jerk conformity. Or consider North Carolina. As the state filled up with new arrivals from such liberal states as New York and New Jersey, political pundits predicted the demise of its longtime ultraconservative senator Jesse Helms. But Helms won elections until he retired in 2002, largely because many of those transplants voted for him enthusiastically. The sort of Yankees who moved to North Carolina had little trouble adopting the political outlook of their new neighbors. But you didn't notice North Carolinians begging for more of them.

While Immigration Voice looks like an immigrant movement that Americans can rally behind, its prospects are mixed. A recent measure sponsored by Senator Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania to nearly double the number of H-1B visas was passed through committee, then killed and then revived. The fate of skilled immigrants hinges on public opinion, and that is hard to gauge. Even an employer delighted to sponsor an H-1B immigrant for a green card might have no particular political commitment to defending the program, or to wringing inefficiencies out of it. The arrival of skilled individuals arguably makes America a more American place. But not necessarily a more welcoming one.

Christopher Caldwell is a contributing writer for the magazine.

Old 06-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Canada
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
wanna_immigrate is a splendid one to behold wanna_immigrate is a splendid one to behold wanna_immigrate is a splendid one to behold wanna_immigrate is a splendid one to behold wanna_immigrate is a splendid one to behold wanna_immigrate is a splendid one to behold wanna_immigrate is a splendid one to behold wanna_immigrate is a splendid one to behold
Default Immigration Voice in New York times

Did somebody already posted this? It really projects IV in a good way and it summerizes the objective of this forum well!! Good job core team

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/07/ma...rssnyt&emc=rss

The Way We Live Now
The Other Immigration
E-MailPrint Save

By CHRISTOPHER CALDWELL
Published: May 7, 2006
If you were to set out to design a story that would inflame populist rage, it might involve immigrants from poor countries, living in the United States without permission to work, hiring powerful Washington lobbyists to press their case. In late April, The Washington Post reported just such a development. The immigrants in question were highly skilled the programmers and doctors and investment analysts that American business seeks out through so-called H-1B visas, and who are eligible for tens of thousands of "green cards," or permanent work permits, each year. But bureaucracy and an affirmative-action-style system of national-origin quotas have created a mess. India and China account for almost 40 percent of the world's population, yet neither can claim much more than 7 percent of the green cards. Hence a half-million-person backlog and a new political pressure group, which calls itself Immigration Voice.

The group's efforts will be a test of the commonly expressed view that Americans are not opposed to immigration, only to illegal immigration. Immigration Voice represents the kind of immigrants whose economic contributions are obvious. It is not a coincidence that the land of the H-1B is also the land of the iPod. Such immigrants are not "cutting in line" they're petitioning for pre-job documentation, not for post-job amnesty. And people who have undergone 18 years of schooling to learn how to manipulate advanced technology come pre-Americanized, in a way that agricultural workers may not.

But Immigration Voice could still wind up crying in the wilderness. As the Boston College political scientist Peter Skerry has noted, many of the things that bug people about undocumented workers are also true of documented ones. Legal immigrants, too, increase crowding, compete for jobs and government services and create an atmosphere of transience and disruption. Indeed, it may be harder for foreign-born engineers to win the same grip on the sympathies of native-born Americans that undocumented farm laborers and political refugees have. Skilled immigrants can't be understood through the usual paradigms of victimhood.

The economists Philip Martin, Manolo Abella and Christiane Kuptsch noted in a recent book, "As a general rule, the more difficult it is to migrate from one country to another, the higher the percentage of professionals among the migrants from that country." Often this means that the more "backward" the country, the more "sophisticated" the immigrants it supplies. Sixty percent of the Egyptians, Ghanaians and South Africans in the U.S. and 75 percent of Indians have more than 13 years of schooling. Their home countries are not educational powerhouses, yet as individuals, they are more highly educated than a great many of the Americans they live among. (This poses an interesting problem for Immigration Voice, which polices its Web forums for condescending remarks toward manual laborers.)

So how are we supposed to address the special needs of this class of migrant? For the most part, we don't. The differences between skilled and unskilled immigrants are important, but that doesn't mean that they are always readily comprehensible either to politicians or to public opinion. When high-skilled immigrants who are already like us show themselves willing to become even more so, jumping every hoop to join us on a legal footing, it dissolves a lot of resistance. But it doesn't dissolve everything. It doesn't dissolve our sense that people like them are different and potentially even threatening.

If we consider our own internal migration of recent decades, this will not surprise us. You would have expected that big movements of people between states particularly from the North to the Sun Belt and from Pacific Coast cities to Rocky Mountain towns would cause increasing uniformity and unanimity. But that didn't happen. Instead, this big migration has coincided with the much harped-on polarization between "red" and "blue" America.

Georgians take up jobs on Wall Street and New Englanders unload their U-Hauls in Texas. The sky doesn't fall but neither do cultural or political tensions between respective regions of the country. Consider the diatribes that followed the last election, in which "red" America stood accused of everything from ignorance and bloodlust to knee-jerk conformity. Or consider North Carolina. As the state filled up with new arrivals from such liberal states as New York and New Jersey, political pundits predicted the demise of its longtime ultraconservative senator Jesse Helms. But Helms won elections until he retired in 2002, largely because many of those transplants voted for him enthusiastically. The sort of Yankees who moved to North Carolina had little trouble adopting the political outlook of their new neighbors. But you didn't notice North Carolinians begging for more of them.

While Immigration Voice looks like an immigrant movement that Americans can rally behind, its prospects are mixed. A recent measure sponsored by Senator Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania to nearly double the number of H-1B visas was passed through committee, then killed and then revived. The fate of skilled immigrants hinges on public opinion, and that is hard to gauge. Even an employer delighted to sponsor an H-1B immigrant for a green card might have no particular political commitment to defending the program, or to wringing inefficiencies out of it. The arrival of skilled individuals arguably makes America a more American place. But not necessarily a more welcoming one.

Christopher Caldwell is a contributing writer for the magazine.

Closed Thread