Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2007, 01:24 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/26/2007
Compare
cnag has a reputation beyond repute cnag has a reputation beyond repute cnag has a reputation beyond repute cnag has a reputation beyond repute cnag has a reputation beyond repute cnag has a reputation beyond repute cnag has a reputation beyond repute cnag has a reputation beyond repute cnag has a reputation beyond repute cnag has a reputation beyond repute cnag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Closed doors mask debate on immigration

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1682092.php

email: dbunis@ocregister.com
Bookmark and Share Compare

Old 05-08-2007, 02:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gdilla is on a distinguished road
Default Expatriate Entrepreneurs

Expatriate Entrepreneurs Indulge
In a Wanderlust Around the Globe

By Mark Henricks

From The Wall Street Journal Online

Globalization has reached the individual entrepreneur.

Mark Abouzeid always dreamed of retiring in Italy, where he'd lived as a child before growing up in America and becoming an investment banker. In 1994, Mr. Abouzeid quit banking, started a dot-com venture and, a year after that, moved his wife and two children from Florida to Italy. By 1991, he was living in a century-old villa in a medieval Tuscan town, consulting to other dot-coms, trading in real estate and making olive oil from his own trees.

For Americans attracted by the promise of living in another culture -- or simply bored with life in the U.S. -- overseas entrepreneurship can allow them to earn a living in another country while avoiding work-visa rules that make regular employment difficult.

Many succeed, to some degree at least. According to the Internal Revenue Service, in 2004 more than 15,600 individual tax returns reported foreign-earned business or professional income.

Most expatriate entrepreneurs fly under the radar, running home-based businesses that escape official notice.

"It's the ultimate daydream," says Robin Pascoe, a North Vancouver, British Columbia, author and publisher of books about expatriates. "Pick a country you want to live in and find something to do that will support a lifestyle."

Entrepreneurs who start overseas lifestyle businesses tend to be middle-aged people who have been successful in their careers, according to Ms. Pascoe. They typically start service businesses, such as inns or English-language tutoring, although Internet retailing has recently become another option.

Beyond neighboring nations such as Canada and Mexico, and alluring European countries, the Central American country of Belize has been a hot spot for expats recently, Ms. Pascoe says.

Obstacles to making it as an expat entrepreneur include language, loneliness, bureaucracy, corruption and business practices that are sometimes incomprehensible to an American.

"It always depends on the country," Ms. Pascoe says. Some are "desperate for foreign investment in U.S. dollars. Others will be suspicious of whether you're taking business away from locals."

Many expats start businesses that cater to other expats. Jill Lengré grew up in Los Angeles and spent nine years in France before moving to Mexico City with her husband, a French pharmaceutical executive, in 2003. Ms. Lengré is starting a Web portal for expat women with partner Andrea Martins, another trailing spouse, as they are sometimes called. The two opted for entrepreneurship because they wanted flexibility to care for children, portability for the inevitable day when one or both spouses were transferred, and the opportunity to earn money without a work visa.

In getting the site up and running, the partners have encountered the same hurdles entrepreneurs find in any country, Ms. Lengré says. But they added complexity when by choosing to set up an offshore corporation run through an Australian trust that will allow them to keep the business going when one or both left Mexico. "It just happened that we were in Mexico," says Ms. Lengré. "We could have been in Zimbabwe."

Even if an expat entrepreneur succeeds in with an under-the-radar Web business, other kinds of local regulations can trip them up.

Mr. Abouzeid says a divorce forced him to sell his villa and convey to his former spouse the online travel business they'd started. The divorce process exacted a considerable toll, thanks to Italian law requiring a three-year legal separation that itself took over a year to arrange.

Today, he mostly works as a free-lance photographer for real-estate and travel publications. Although he earned far more as an investment banker, he doesn't miss the long hours or the glittering lifestyle of his former career.

"All the things I used to buy to distract myself are no longer necessary," he says. "I walk outside the door, I have a view that Michelangelo painted. I have a restaurant down the street that cooks some of the best truffle pasta in the world."

Email your comments to cjeditor@dowjones.com.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Has Ron Hira sponsored any of his relatives from India????

Quote:
In my view this is not a news but an opinion article by an advocate of chain migration. These advocates ABCD in this case fears that they will not be abe to bring their cousins and aunts if more visas are given to employment based catagory. Currently there is 75% in family based and 12.5% for employment based. For these ABCDs family based immigration is real immigration and not employment based. This is one of the big reason why we do not see active participation of chineese and Indians that are now US citizens actively helping in the immigration reform for Employment based greencards. Chain migration is also hurting legitimate employment based greencards since these ABCDs employ their own relatives in their companies on H1Bs and apply fo their greencards. It is cheap labor for these ABCDs. I would be interested to know if Ron Hira has sponsored any of his relatives from India to US. Ethinic media like India abroad also favors issues that appeal to ABCDs. Some of you will hate me for this post because maybe your uncle may have sponsored you in this country.
Thanks for articulating these sentiments....couldn't agree more.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
smohan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Senate May Take Up CIR On the Floor as Early as Monday 05/14/2007

From

http://www.immigration-law.com/

05/08/2007: Senate May Take Up CIR On the Floor as Early as Monday 05/14/2007

Senate majority leader Harry Reid disclosed, according to the news report, that the Senate might take up the Comprehensive Immigration Reform legislative bill on the floor as early as next Monday. Please stay tuned.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Priority Date
:
May-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/24/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/25/2007
Compare
amslonewolf has a brilliant future amslonewolf has a brilliant future amslonewolf has a brilliant future amslonewolf has a brilliant future amslonewolf has a brilliant future amslonewolf has a brilliant future amslonewolf has a brilliant future amslonewolf has a brilliant future amslonewolf has a brilliant future amslonewolf has a brilliant future amslonewolf has a brilliant future
Default NPR - Senate Debates Immigration Issue, and Bills

Podcast -

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=10080614

Old 05-08-2007, 11:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
rsayed has a spectacular aura about rsayed has a spectacular aura about
Default Christian Coalition Support

05/08/2007: Shocking New Development in CIR Prospectives

News report indicates that the evangelital coalition has come forward to join the CIR campaign urging the Congress and the White House to pass the CIR as soon as possible. The Christian group will initiate a massive advertisement campaign beginning from next week using all types of media to address their support for the CIR. What an exciting news!! Hear, Hear, Ya, Senator Sessions, Rep. Tancredo, Rep. Kyl, and Lou Dobbs!

This reporter cannot wait for the upcoming thrill and excitement in the coming week.

www.immigration-law.com

Old 05-09-2007, 10:01 AM
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/21/2007
Compare
GCcomesoon is infamous around these parts GCcomesoon is infamous around these parts GCcomesoon is infamous around these parts GCcomesoon is infamous around these parts GCcomesoon is infamous around these parts GCcomesoon is infamous around these parts GCcomesoon is infamous around these parts
Default Article in Detroit local newspaper

Hi

This is something which was tried & was published in detroit local paper.
The overall comments looks positive

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...ON04/705040328

Thanks
GCcomesoon

Old 05-09-2007, 10:16 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
apnair2002 is on a distinguished road
Default CIR Compromise Failure and Senate Floor Schedule Monday, 05/14/2007

05/09/2007: CIR Compromise Failure and Senate Floor Schedule Monday, 05/14/2007

Unconfirmed sources indicate that the White House effort to induce a compromised Senate CIR bill between the Republicans and the Democrats has reportedly failed on the two issues, among others: Republicans' hardline position against the legalization of illegal aliens and their issistance on overhaul of the legal immigration system by scraping the current family-based immigration system and turning it into the so-called point system. The second issue was never brought up in the past CIR debates in the Senate and House prior to the current 110th Congress. This second issue obvisously adds another tough teeth in the compromise negotiation. Obviously these drastic and hardline position of the Republicans were not acceptable to the Democrats and reportedly the negotiation between the leaders of the two parties collapsed as of now. This development raises two questions. Firstly, how it will affect the Senate majority leader's agenda to take up the CIR debate on the Senate floor Monday. Unless there develops a new negotiation between the two parties, the scheduled Senate floor debate on the immigration reform may not produce any specific product and progress. Secondly and more importantly, the nation will watch very carefully how the late development in the Christian evangelical coalition will affect and influence these hardline Republicans. Without doubt, it will have some impact on these Republicans as the hardline Republicans have taken hardline position in immigration legislation to accomodate the hardline position of the Christiran community in the immigration issues. Please stay tuned.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:30 AM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCcomesoon
Hi

This is something which was tried & was published in detroit local paper.
The overall comments looks positive

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...ON04/705040328

Thanks
GCcomesoon
wish he had put IV name as well in the letter. Then this newspaper would have contacted us to do a full story. Pls. contact ths newspaper and request the papr to do a story on us.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/27/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/13/2007
Compare
lost_in_migration has a reputation beyond repute lost_in_migration has a reputation beyond repute lost_in_migration has a reputation beyond repute lost_in_migration has a reputation beyond repute lost_in_migration has a reputation beyond repute lost_in_migration has a reputation beyond repute lost_in_migration has a reputation beyond repute lost_in_migration has a reputation beyond repute lost_in_migration has a reputation beyond repute lost_in_migration has a reputation beyond repute lost_in_migration has a reputation beyond repute
Default Diverse Interest Groups in the Immigration Support Community

05/09/2007: Diverse Interest Groups in the Immigration Support Community and Challenges Ahead for Immigration Reform

* It is no secret that there has been a conflict or even hostility between the so-called legal immigration supporters and the so-called illegal immigration supporters. This hostility has been developed from the sense that the legal immigration reform has remained a hostage to the illegal immigration reform in the form of Comprehensive Immigration Reform legislation process. Until this year, there were two groups within the legal immigration reform supporters: One was a softline group that had accepted a "comprehensive" immigration reform solution. This group did not necessarily accepted the "comprehensive" approach because they supported it but at least because they accepted the political reality that any piecemeal solution for the legal immigration reform was not workable. One another group is a hardline group that opposed illegal immigration reform and consequently opposed the "comprehensive" approach. The second group thus tended to take side with the hardline Republicans more or less in the past in opposing the comprehensive approach in the immigration reform. The anti-immigrationists and CIR opponents were thus able to penetrate this group with the piecemeal proposals in favor of the so-called "legal" immigrants. Before the 110th Congress, these hardline immigration opponents in the Congress and the political community approached them with the so-called employment-based immigration reform issue alone to penetrate into this second group and the employment-based immigration reform stakeholders such as the business community and academic institutions. In the current 110th Congress, the hardline legislators in the Congress are approaching this group with additional sugar-coated chip in the name of so-called "point system" or "merit system" in the immigration system. They appaently approach this group with the two sugar-coated persuasions: One is that by terminating the family-based immigration system and adopting a new immigration system based on workforce merits, the employment-based immigrants will have more opportunity to immigrate into this country, which is totally false. The second sugar-coated persuasion appears to be that by rejecting the comprehensive immigration reform legislation, the piecemeal employment-based immigration legislations will have better chances to pass the Congress. For these reasons, this hardline legal immigration group faced only one opponent in the legal immigration community, but now face another opponent in the legal immigration community, to wit, family-based immigration supporters.
* Well, it is unfortunate that the immigrants have never been able to get along among diverse interest groups historically.
Attended the 18th Sep rally in DC.
Sent Letters to White House and phone calls to congressmen.
Completed all action items for HR 3012 & requested friends as well.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cnn:

Most of this is yesterday's news but still...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/05/...ate/index.html

Old 05-09-2007, 02:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
sss9i is on a distinguished road

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&feed=rss.news

By clochhead@sfchronicle.com

Old 05-09-2007, 02:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gdilla is on a distinguished road
Default Senate Urged to Rethink Immigration Bill After NJ Arrests

Senate Urged to Rethink Immigration Bill After NJ Arrests
By Susan Jones
CNSNews.com Senior Editor
May 09, 2007

(CNSNews.com) - The arrest of six foreign-born Muslims accused of plotting to attack Fort Dix, N.J., should stop the Senate from producing an immigration bill that includes a "pathway to citizenship" or any other let-them-stay-here program, said a group that strongly opposes "amnesty" for illegal aliens.

Three of the Islamic radicals arrested in New Jersey were illegal aliens; two had green cards; and one was a U.S. citizen. Four of the suspects were born in the former Yugoslavia, one was born in Jordan and one came from Turkey, authorities said. The suspects apparently had no connection to al Qaeda.

The Federation for American Immigration Reform called the arrests "strong proof that lax enforcement of our immigration laws does pose a severe threat to the security of the nation, and that the government's screening process for granting green cards and other immigration benefits is perilously flawed."

News of the arrests came as a bipartisan group of Senators is trying to write an immigration reform bill acceptable to both sides -- a task that's proving difficult to accomplish.

Many conservatives insist that such a bill must concentrate on enforcement of current immigration law as well as border security. -- keeping foreigners out of the country unless they go through proper immigration channels.

Others, including President Bush and Senate Democrats, want the bill to include a guest worker program and a "pathway to citizenship" for the millions of people who have sneaked into the country illegally -- and can't easily be shipped out, they say.

"Given [Tuesday's] events, the American public has a right to demand, not ask, that Congress and the Bush administration drop all talk of amnesty and guest worker programs and get to work on the single most important priority: controlling our borders and fixing an immigration system that allows terrorists and just about anyone else to enter and hide out in this country," said FAIR President Dan Stein.

"Luck was on our side this time, but luck is not a substitute for due diligence and an immigration enforcement policy that protects the nation and its people," he said.

FAIR said the arrests in New Jersey prove that terrorists can and will take advantage of "unenforced immigration policies that have flooded this country with illegal immigrants."

The arrests also show that terrorists understand the nation's vulnerabilities, FAIR said.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) says the Senate will begin floor debate on an immigration bill on May 14, and if the new bill is not ready, he'll substitute the bill passed by the Senate last year. Reid insists his fellow senators have had plenty of time to produce a bill.

Slow down, Republicans say. Press reports on Wednesday quoted Sen. Jon Kyl (R-Ariz.) as saying that the bipartisan working group is "close" to agreement.

"We've been close for several days," wire reports quoted him as saying. "There is not full bipartisan agreement on all of the major issues. Until we have that agreement we should not move forward."

Old 05-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
sss9i is on a distinguished road

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/09/us...in&oref=slogin

By Julia Preston

Old 05-09-2007, 04:57 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vagish will become famous soon enough vagish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaca
  • Congregations to Give Haven to Immigrants By JAMES BARRON, May 9, 2007

Recalling a movement that challenged United States policy in Central America in the 1980s, several religious congregations in New York and other cities will announce a campaign Wednesday to provide sanctuary to illegal immigrants who face deportation.

As of Tuesday, the organizers of what is being called the New Sanctuary Movement said that five churches in New York City had already offered assistance to two families — one from China and one from Haiti — and would provide them with shelter if the federal government moved to enforce the deportation orders filed against them.

“We’re launching now because we’re fed up with detentions, deportations and raids,” said the Rev. Dr. Donna Schaper, the senior minister of Judson Memorial Church in Greenwich Village. “We felt it was not morally possible to remain silent.”

Dr. Schaper and a half-dozen other religious leaders are scheduled to gather this morning at the Church of St. Paul the Apostle, a Roman Catholic parish at 405 West 59th Street, near Columbus Avenue, to announce their participation in the campaign.

Other announcements about the New Sanctuary Movement are scheduled in Chicago, Los Angeles, San Diego and Seattle, and the organizers said that prayer vigils supporting the effort would be held in other cities.

The campaign comes as Congress and the Bush administration wrangle over immigration reform. President Bush and many Democrats have called for a path to legalize some 12 million illegal immigrants, but a significant number of Republicans in Congress advocate a broader campaign of deportations.

We don’t expect any easy answers, but we believe the moral issues have to be lifted up,” said the Rev. David Rommerein, the pastor of the Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd in Brooklyn, which has been debating how it can help the campaign.

Juan Carlos Ruiz, one of three national coordinators of the New Sanctuary Movement, said one inspiration for the project was the case of Elvira Arellano, a Mexican woman who came to the United States illegally in the 1990s and who has been living under sanctuary at a Chicago church since August.

In New York, three Lutheran churches in Brooklyn have been looking after one immigrant family, while Judson Memorial and the Riverside Church in Manhattan have been monitoring the deportation case involving another, organizers said.

A sanctuary movement news release said one of the families is headed by Joe Liang, 26, and his wife, Mei Xing, 25, who have two children — one 15 months old, the other 2 months old — who were born here.

Mr. Liang, who buses tables at a Manhattan restaurant, said yesterday that he came to the United States from China 10 years ago, seeking asylum. “We lost our case,” he said. “That’s why we have a deportation order. Many people in our situation, even our caseworker, says the system is not right. Thank God we have the church leaders who are willing to help us out.”

The second family lives in Brooklyn, the organizers said. The husband, who would identify himself only as Jean, 38, fled Haiti in 1986. He had a green card but was ordered to be deported because of a drug conviction.

Dr. Schaper, of Judson Memorial Church, said the movement organizers were motivated by an increase in detentions and deportations. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials recently reported that they removed 221,664 illegal immigrants over the last year, an increase of more than 37,000 over the year before.

“The increase is less the problem than the actual fact of it,” Dr. Schaper said. “We felt, why is anybody being detained or deported?”

It was not immediately clear whether the government would send agents into churches that harbor immigrants or what legal standing they would have to do so.

“We certainly understand, as does everybody, that nobody is above the law and that removal orders are issued by a federal judge, and they are something that should be complied with,” Marc Raimondi, a spokesman for Immigrations and Customs Enforcement in the Department of Homeland Security, said in an interview.

Religious leaders say the notion of providing sanctuary is rooted in American tradition. Churches provided sanctuary to help blacks escape slavery and draftees avoid serving in the Vietnam War.

But in the 1980s, when churches were involved in efforts to resettle Central Americans fleeing civil wars, the federal government said the church-as-sanctuary tradition had no standing in American law. Eight church workers were eventually convicted of criminal conspiracy.
  • Churches to Provide Immigrants Sanctuary By PETER PRENGAMAN, The Associated Press, Wednesday, May 9, 2007

This is will make sure that there is no immigration bill gets passed in the next commming months.

thanks

Closed Thread