Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2009, 10:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-09
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vdesai_8 is a splendid one to behold vdesai_8 is a splendid one to behold vdesai_8 is a splendid one to behold vdesai_8 is a splendid one to behold vdesai_8 is a splendid one to behold vdesai_8 is a splendid one to behold
Question Planning to move back to India. Please advise!!!

Dear all,

As we all know that getting a GC is taking forever. Hence am thinking to move back to India.

Background about me:
Came to US for MS in CS (2002).
Applied for H1 in 2005.
Experience = 4+ years (.Net)

Since I have not worked professionally in an Indian company, I would appreciate if you could provide some insight on the work environment there.

My questions are as follows:

1). What are the work culture/environment differences that I will face in India compared to USA?
2). What about the salary structure and the future career path? Is credit given where its due or is it that only the Manager takes the credit?
3). Is it easier/harder to find or switch a job there compared to IT consulting jobs that we do here?
4). How many hours are people typically expected to work in India?

I would highly appreciate if you can advise on these questions as it will help me plan further.

Thanking you in anticipation,
vdesai_8
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2009, 10:48 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/10/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdesai_8 View Post
Dear all,

As we all know that getting a GC is taking forever. Hence am thinking to move back to India.

Background about me:
Applied for H1 in 2005.

Since I have not worked professionally in an Indian company, I would appreciate if you could provide some insight on the work environment there.

1). What are the work culture/environment differences that I will face in India compared to USA?
2). What about the salary structure and the future career path? Is credit given where its due or is it that only the Manager takes the credit?
3). Is it easier/harder to find or switch a job there compared to IT consulting jobs that we do here?

I would highly appreciate if you can advise on these questions as it will help me plan further.

vdesai_8
I worked in India for six years before coming here. They would be happy if you can sit in the office 24x7. No matter what the productivity is... They dont care about your family or any other value. I am still seeing this with people coming in L1. They are sitting with the system all the day and even in week end and expect us to do the same. Salary - which company you are going to work ? They are giving putting most of the package in variable pay in b(p)ig companies...you know how it would end up. You will be holding the bag. This is the worst case. As most of the work is moving to india now a days..you might move in the carrier lader very well. Getting into the management is easier than in the US.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/16/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/16/2007
Compare
golgappa is a jewel in the rough golgappa is a jewel in the rough golgappa is a jewel in the rough golgappa is a jewel in the rough
Default few pointers

Varies your relation with you manager, and also if you are in offshore/onsite model, also if you are junior level expectation are high..

Salary varies depending on your skill set..

It is not easy to switch job, like in us you can move from NY to CA easily, in india to move from Gurgaon to Banglore is a totally different story, you will face issues with language and other cultural issues, and family issues as well.

If you are junior level you can expect to work long hours..

They can also keep sending you to US/Australia/UK/South Africa..which after sometime yo u might find annoying..you will keep fighting for your expenses to get reimbursed and get a direct flight instead of break journey...

But still life in India has other benefits too..

What do you think about moving to Canada ?

Old 08-22-2009, 11:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/02/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
hiralal is infamous around these parts hiralal is infamous around these parts hiralal is infamous around these parts hiralal is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Dear all,

Background about me:
Applied for H1 in 2005.

vdesai_8
4 years ago I was thinking about the same and the advice that I was given was .."it is foolish to go back and work as anything less than a manager".
and I agree with that 100% now ...and if you are the manager --- then you can control / change the environment somewhat ..this should answer your
#1, 2 and 4. no idea about the market now - but you should get something good. life is definitely better in terms of social life ... and professional too ..I guess since life is definitely getting more rotten here esp if you don't have GC.
if you have some sort of family commitments --then my advice ..just go back (maybe ask your present employer if he can keep GC application alive)...esp if you have elderly family members and you are the only son.

Last edited by hiralal; 08-22-2009 at 11:55 PM.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:02 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB1C
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Compare
go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiralal View Post
4 years ago I was thinking about the same and the advice that I was given was .."it is foolish to go back and work as anything less than a manager".
and I agree with that 100% now ...and if you are the manager --- then you can control / change the environment somewhat ..this should answer your
#1, 2 and 4. no idea about the market now - but you should get something good. life is definitely better in terms of social life ... and professional too ..I guess since life is definitely getting more rotten here esp if you don't have GC.
if you have some sort of family commitments --then my advice ..just go back (maybe ask your present employer if he can keep GC application alive)...esp if you have elderly family members and you are the only son.
Plus very little value will be given for MS. I know this first hand. Also India is a MBA bias country. A straight out of college MBA will get a team lead/BA role and be your boss. Career progression is very hard without MBA...one of the motivations why I did an MBA
after my US MS. Salary structure is very hierarchical. In US Tech people often get higher salary than Project Manager/BA but
in India it is not like that. I was highly frustrated when i went back to India after my Masters.

Last edited by go_guy123; 08-23-2009 at 12:07 AM.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:24 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute
Default India has better lifestyle as compares to here .

I am a manager with a US big 4 consulting firm and have works for years with the Indian Offshore teams . Also before coming to the US I have worked in India for a few years .

Ans. India is very hands on . There is little need for managerial skills as much as there is in the US . The companies in India are essentially technical resource pools .That's why most companies are bottom heavy . By bottom heavy I mean a very large percentage of people are kept at the bottom of the pyramid so that they can be deployed as resources on global projects . Let me give you an example . In the came of my company about 60% of staff in the US are managerial cadre and very few are at lower levels . But the same company in India has 90% of staff at lower cadre and 10 % managerial staff . I hope you get the difference . US is top heavy and India is bottom heavy .

Ans . Salary structure is not bad at all these days , although a direct dollar comparison would not be the right thing to do . A person with about 10+ years of experience in a hot area can get Rs 20 Lakh PA , thats ( USD 60,000 per year ) which is not bad at all. But if you compare the standard of living in India is much better at Indian software salaries than standard of living in US with US software salaries. In fact some of my Indian counterparts live at home like Kings with 5 servants including cooks , nannies ,car drivers and gardeners . These are things even rich americans cannot dream of .

you could also change jobs at the drop of a hat and leave the companies if they do not listen to you , unlike here where you have to remain enslaved till you get your GC .

Ans. If you have worked predominantly with desi vendors , then that might be looked with suspicion because of the large number of nongenuine people who apply for the positions in India . I would recommend that if you have worked with desi vendors then you take letters pof recommendation from your clients to show to your potential employer in India . It is very easy to switch a job and the risk of layoff is also very less . The chance of getting staffed in high . There are also consulting / contracting openings coming up there but the industry is not so mature now .

Ans . Normally 40 , if you are in AMS type work even less . But some projects can be high pressure . It is not hourly work so you do not get remunerated for extra hours worked , but it is considered a positive aspect during your bonus/reviews .

***THE MORE I AM HURT, THE STRONGER I GET ***

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:51 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of

I worked in India 9 years back before moving to US. Here is my impression about working in India.

Please see inline
Quote:
Dear all,

Background about me:
Applied for H1 in 2005.

Work environment is less professional. But performing employees are always appreciated and they progress well in career. In US there are a lot of factors ( politics) that comes into play other than your performance.

Credit will always be given to performing candidates and they progress well in career. In fact companies encourage experienced guys to move up the ladder quickly as lower levels are rapidly filled up with freshers.

It is easier to switch jobs in India. In US you will have to move across cities most of the time. In India you can stay in the same city and home through your entire life even as you switch companies at will.

Head hunters are always looking out to pull experienced candidates from other companies. Best way to get a better pay is to switch companies rather than staying with the same company.

In my case when I switched company, I got a 50% raise without asking.

Typically you will have to work long hours and even on weekends. That is the only downside.

vdesai_8

Old 08-23-2009, 02:41 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/10/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnab221 View Post
I am a manager with a US big 4 consulting firm and have works for years with the Indian Offshore teams . Also before coming to the US I have worked in India for a few years .

Ans. India is very hands on . There is little need for managerial skills as much as there is in the US . The companies in India are essentially technical resource pools .That's why most companies are bottom heavy . By bottom heavy I mean a very large percentage of people are kept at the bottom of the pyramid so that they can be deployed as resources on global projects . Let me give you an example . In the came of my company about 60% of staff in the US are managerial cadre and very few are at lower levels . But the same company in India has 90% of staff at lower cadre and 10 % managerial staff . I hope you get the difference . US is top heavy and India is bottom heavy .

Ans . Salary structure is not bad at all these days , although a direct dollar comparison would not be the right thing to do . A person with about 10+ years of experience in a hot area can get Rs 20 Lakh PA , thats ( USD 60,000 per year ) which is not bad at all. But if you compare the standard of living in India is much better at Indian software salaries than standard of living in US with US software salaries. In fact some of my Indian counterparts live at home like Kings with 5 servants including cooks , nannies ,car drivers and gardeners . These are things even rich americans cannot dream of .

you could also change jobs at the drop of a hat and leave the companies if they do not listen to you , unlike here where you have to remain enslaved till you get your GC .

Ans. If you have worked predominantly with desi vendors , then that might be looked with suspicion because of the large number of nongenuine people who apply for the positions in India . I would recommend that if you have worked with desi vendors then you take letters pof recommendation from your clients to show to your potential employer in India . It is very easy to switch a job and the risk of layoff is also very less . The chance of getting staffed in high . There are also consulting / contracting openings coming up there but the industry is not so mature now .

Ans . Normally 40 , if you are in AMS type work even less . But some projects can be high pressure . It is not hourly work so you do not get remunerated for extra hours worked , but it is considered a positive aspect during your bonus/reviews .
Please tell me you are kidding...

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:56 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute
Default I am not kidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by snathan View Post
Please tell me you are kidding...
No I am not , as I have said the work varies from project to project . Most Indian companies ( Infy , Wipro , TCS ) bid and get projects in the AMS space . In the AMS space work is not all that hard or pressurizing . It is mainly routine repetative work , but may entail night shifts .Career growth is not all that fast and life is a bit laid back .

If you land up in a implementation project , then Indian arms of companies like IBM , Accenture act as resource pools and these projects can be time bound and tough on the4 resources . Career growth is faster here as billing rates are high and the resource becomes a valuable asset to the company and can bargain for better raises .

It all depends on the projects you land in .

***THE MORE I AM HURT, THE STRONGER I GET ***

Old 08-23-2009, 09:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sidbee is a splendid one to behold sidbee is a splendid one to behold sidbee is a splendid one to behold sidbee is a splendid one to behold sidbee is a splendid one to behold sidbee is a splendid one to behold sidbee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by snathan View Post
I worked in India for six years before coming here. They would be happy if you can sit in the office 24x7. No matter what the productivity is... They dont care about your family or any other value. I am still seeing this with people coming in L1. They are sitting with the system all the day and even in week end and expect us to do the same. Salary - which company you are going to work ? They are giving putting most of the package in variable pay in b(p)ig companies...you know how it would end up. You will be holding the bag. This is the worst case. As most of the work is moving to india now a days..you might move in the carrier lader very well. Getting into the management is easier than in the US.

Not every company is like that . Look for a multinational and not a start up. Startups are same anywhere.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:02 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/10/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidbee View Post
Not every company is like that . Look for a multinational and not a start up. Startups are same anywhere.
I didnt talk about start uponly ...I have worked in MNC as well as start up also.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-09
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vdesai_8 is a splendid one to behold vdesai_8 is a splendid one to behold vdesai_8 is a splendid one to behold vdesai_8 is a splendid one to behold vdesai_8 is a splendid one to behold vdesai_8 is a splendid one to behold

Thank you all for the guidance. It surely is very helpful and I feel like I get an idea of what I will go through in India.
My goal is to be in a Management position sooner or later, so what do you recommend, Should I finish MBA before leaving USA? or can I finish MBA or PMP from India(mid quality university, nothing fancy or top tiered) and it would still have equivalent value?

Thanks again.

Last edited by vdesai_8; 08-23-2009 at 10:10 PM.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:52 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB1C
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Compare
go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thank you all for the guidance. It surely is very helpful and I feel like I get an idea of what I will go through in India.
My goal is to be in a Management position sooner or later, so what do you recommend, Should I finish MBA before leaving USA? or can I finish MBA or PMP from India(mid quality university, nothing fancy or top tiered) and it would still have equivalent value?

Thanks again.
What i would suggest is do an MBA. PMP doesnt sell that much. Once you go back to India
work on GMAT. After 6 months to 1 yr the reality of working in India will be clear. So you can decide you want to be in India or look for western country like Canada, UK (since US is closed now, UK I dont know fully)

If you wish to do an MBA outside India then you can look at Singapore, AIM pillipines or Canada (cheaper ones like U of A, U of Calgary).

I faced the same situation in 2002/2003. As usual there was a flood of applications to Canada and therefore Canada tightened the rules massively in 2002. By end 2003 the rules got relaxed.

Went back to India in 2003 and realised that its not for me. I came back to US in 2005, took GMAT, applied for Canada PR and moved to Canada/MBA in 2007.

I learnt my lesson in the 2002 recession.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:36 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/07/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
09/27/2010
Compare
ivar has a reputation beyond repute ivar has a reputation beyond repute ivar has a reputation beyond repute ivar has a reputation beyond repute ivar has a reputation beyond repute ivar has a reputation beyond repute ivar has a reputation beyond repute ivar has a reputation beyond repute ivar has a reputation beyond repute ivar has a reputation beyond repute ivar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidbee View Post
I worked in india for 6 years before coming to US. I worked for 5 companies ranging from startup to MNC and here is my experience.

1. If i pack my bags at 5:30 everybody will look at you as why this guy is leaving early. It doesn't matter if you are coming to office at 8:30am. The longer you are sitting infront of that computer they believe you are very hardworking. Plus when all your collegues are sitting infront of the PC till 8.00pm whether working for not and you leave at 5:30 will definately send a wrong message.

2. It will be little difficult initially to adjust with the new environment. If you techincally very good than people around you or your manager may feel threatened. It all depends on your manager and what kind of person he is. he will play a very important role in your career path and skill will be secondary and will be valued only if you develop a good repo with your manager.

3. If you switch jobs you make money faster.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:04 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rkg000 has a reputation beyond repute rkg000 has a reputation beyond repute rkg000 has a reputation beyond repute rkg000 has a reputation beyond repute rkg000 has a reputation beyond repute rkg000 has a reputation beyond repute rkg000 has a reputation beyond repute rkg000 has a reputation beyond repute rkg000 has a reputation beyond repute rkg000 has a reputation beyond repute rkg000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default I am not sure "not getting GC" is the right reason to move back

I am not really sure what you mean by "beacuse getting GC is taking forever, I'm planning to go back". If you mean that you are facing difficulties since you don't have a GC, then going back won't make life any easier.

Work Culture/Environment:
I had worked in India some 9 years ago and at that time we used to call the manager as "Sir", you get the picture?? But in the very same company there were couple of managers who insisted that we all communicate on first name basis. They both had spent some time here in the US then, hence the difference. I definitely expect lot better conditions now.

Salary:
I have few friends who stayed back and come here often on business trips. They all claimed up the ladder quite fast, and are getting comparable salaries (if you take into account expenses). Don't worry if somebody steals the credit from you. You'll eventually get what you deserved. Its a fact of life.

Affects of recession:
I am not sure how the recession affected the job market there, but heard it slowed down a bit.

Work Hours:
I think it really depends on the type of work you land. A friend of mine working in a financial firm in NYC mentioned that people look at you oddly if you leave anytime before 7:30pm. Back home though you might find more work places giving importance to the number of hours you put in. And work from home concept is still unknown there, for the most part.

Of all the earlier responses, I liked one where someone suggested you getting an MBA. If you can, you should. It would be easier to persuade about your competence.