Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 10:54 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of
Default H1-B restriction: Silicon Valley to be hurt

H1-B restriction: Silicon Valley to be hurt - SiliconIndia

Bangalore: Several bright minds outside America take that flight to the U.S. seeking better opportunities in places like Silicon Valley, which is often described as the Mecca for entrepreneurs. However, with the hue and cry surrounding the H-1B visas the flow of immigrants into U.S. may get affected, which may also diminish the tech prowess of the most technologically advanced nation in the world.

There was at least one immigrant founder in 25 percent of all engineering and technology companies established in the U.S. between 1995 and 2005, reveals a study by a group of Professors in Duke University and the University of California. These entities generated over $52 billion in 2005 sales, while creating over 450,000 jobs as of 2005. With these contributions by the immigrants in the U.S., any impediments in the issuance H1-B visa can have a huge impact on the American economy.

The U.S. administration under George W Bush had been pushing for immigration reforms, which failed to take shape last year. There are roughly 12 million illegal immigrants in the U.S. and the reforms are aimed at making a way for some of these immigrants to stay in the country legally. Now that Barack Obama has taken charge in the White House, are these reforms on his priority list?

Recently, Obama assured the pro-immigrant activists that the immigration reforms would not lose its importance over the health-care reform and the energy legislation. The President is likely to endorse the views of Senator Charles Schumer, Chairman of the Senate's Immigration Subcommittee, who has said that he will introduce new reform legislation this autumn.

However, there are some challenges that Schumer and team faces in order to make the legislation a reality. Senators Richard Durbin and Charles Grassley are sponsors of a bill to stop the alleged abuse of H-1B visas, which allow companies to employ workers from overseas for limited stays. They have introduced a legislation to restrict the number of H1-B visas to be issued, which was bombarded with criticisms outside U.S. These visas are popular among technology companies like Microsoft, Infosys and Wipro, which bring some of the brightest minds from around the world to work in the U.S.

The current situation can make U.S. less attractive to immigrants, who may eventually contribute to the country's growth. Take the examples of Vikram Pandit, Indra Nooyi or Sanjay Jha, who took that flight to the U.S. and have made it big by heading some of the largest companies on the planet.

Commentators like CNN's Lou Dobbs have often highlighted about a huge reverse brain drain in the U.S. - which has been his dream - that is closer to reality. Immigrants, who have received their education and work experience in U.S., are packing their bags to go back to their homeland. In addition, there is also a decline in the number of foreign students seeking admissions in the U.S. universities, for the first time in five years.

According to the latest report by the Council of Graduate Schools, the average decline in the admissions from students outside U.S. is three percent. The highest decline is seen from countries in Asia with India leading the pack with a 12 percent decline.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2009, 11:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2008
Compare
seekerofpeace is a name known to all seekerofpeace is a name known to all seekerofpeace is a name known to all seekerofpeace is a name known to all seekerofpeace is a name known to all seekerofpeace is a name known to all
Default A jobless recovery

Most of the major economists are mentioning "Jobless Recovery" ahead which means very few jobs will be created in the coming years.....there will be more jobs created outside USA (read emerging economies) than here.....7 million jobs are gone for good from USA they are not going to come back and most companies are reporting profits not thru increasing revenues but by cost cutting....

I have friends in IBM,Intel,HP,EMC,Yahoo in senior and middle mgmt positions laid off and some were asked if they'd relocate to a different country like Brazil or India or the like...

So I guess a case for increasing H1-Bs is increasingly weakening....most major companies are now refusing to file for permanent residency...so they expect u to pack ur bags after ur quota of H1-B years are over....

In fact denying permanent residency is beneficial to US economy since they then have the employees by the leash....and can restrict their movement and pay...

SoP

Old 08-26-2009, 01:05 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB1C
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Compare
go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute

As usual the article talks noting about GC backlog, no mention. All they want is more H1B
slavery. Plus the article is old. Now there is no quota shortage.

Last edited by go_guy123; 08-26-2009 at 01:15 AM.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:41 AM
Banned
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts

H1b demand is very less nowadays. Best system will be variable Cap for H1. Adjustment of H1b cap based on economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerofpeace View Post
Most of the major economists are mentioning "Jobless Recovery" ahead which means very few jobs will be created in the coming years.....there will be more jobs created outside USA (read emerging economies) than here.....7 million jobs are gone for good from USA they are not going to come back and most companies are reporting profits not thru increasing revenues but by cost cutting....

I have friends in IBM,Intel,HP,EMC,Yahoo in senior and middle mgmt positions laid off and some were asked if they'd relocate to a different country like Brazil or India or the like...

So I guess a case for increasing H1-Bs is increasingly weakening....most major companies are now refusing to file for permanent residency...so they expect u to pack ur bags after ur quota of H1-B years are over....

In fact denying permanent residency is beneficial to US economy since they then have the employees by the leash....and can restrict their movement and pay...

SoP