Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
refresher123 is on a distinguished road
Default Is it required to file FBAR?

Dear All,

Firstly, sorry if this is a re-post or inappropriate forum, but I wanted to clarify on FBAR filing as the due date Sep 23 is fast approaching. I sent around $25k to my Indian bank account towards purchase of some property in 2008. The money was immediately disbursed from my account after the transfer. Do I still need to file FBAR as the max amount in my Indian bank account was over $10k(requirement for fBAR filing) at some point of time during 2008? Please let me know if anyone has the answer.

Thanks
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
refresher123 is on a distinguished road

bump/\/\/\/\/\/\

Old 09-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
simple1 has a spectacular aura about simple1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Form TD F 90-22.1 (Rev. 10-2008) Page 6.

Form TD F 90-22.1 (Rev. 10-2008) Page 6.
===========================
Who Must File this Report. Each United States person who
has a financial interest in or signature or other authority over
any foreign financial accounts, including bank, securities, or
other types of financial accounts, in a foreign country, if the
aggregate value of these financial accounts exceeds $10,000
at any time during the calendar year
, must report that
relationship each calendar year by filing this report with the
Department of the Treasury on or before June 30, of the
succeeding year.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
kart2007 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by refresher123 View Post
Dear All,

Firstly, sorry if this is a re-post or inappropriate forum, but I wanted to clarify on FBAR filing as the due date Sep 23 is fast approaching. I sent around $25k to my Indian bank account towards purchase of some property in 2008. The money was immediately disbursed from my account after the transfer. Do I still need to file FBAR as the max amount in my Indian bank account was over $10k(requirement for fBAR filing) at some point of time during 2008? Please let me know if anyone has the answer.

Thanks
I think 2011 FBAR is only for the previous calendar year (2010). I doubt that IRS would go back to 2008 and check. Also you have hardly accumulated any interest for that $25K. But if you still want to be 100% compliant do it. Its just paperwork and hassle.

I know another friend who has a similar situation where he deposited some funds in 2009 to pay off a loan but it sat in his account for just a week or so before it was removed. There is no intention of gaining interest...only signature authority and such cases are exempt. $25 K for a week or so won't gain more than Rs 500 (maybe less) or so interest. If IRS wants they can have his $10 in interest.

My CPA told me that having amounts like $25K or so previous to the current calendar year is irrelevant and just additional paperwork. The IRS is looking for people who have huge amounts of money sitting and accumulating interest. They are not going to chase and trouble individuals who have no intent to do money laundering or not gaining any significant interest.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:01 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/30/2011
Compare
thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart2007 View Post
I think 2011 FBAR is only for the previous calendar year (2010). I doubt that IRS would go back to 2008 and check. Also you have hardly accumulated any interest for that $25K. But if you still want to be 100% compliant do it. Its just paperwork and hassle.

I know another friend who has a similar situation where he deposited some funds in 2009 to pay off a loan but it sat in his account for just a week or so before it was removed. There is no intention of gaining interest...only signature authority and such cases are exempt. $25 K for a week or so won't gain more than Rs 500 (maybe less) or so interest. If IRS wants they can have his $10 in interest.

My CPA told me that having amounts like $25K or so previous to the current calendar year is irrelevant and just additional paperwork. The IRS is looking for people who have huge amounts of money sitting and accumulating interest. They are not going to chase and trouble individuals who have no intent to do money laundering or not gaining any significant interest.
I will be surprised if there are not thousands of Indians who sent money to their accounts in India for purchasing property or other matters. Even citizens and GC holders do that. I dont understand why IRS is targetting such places like India where tax evasion is litterally not possible on interest income from banks. They should focus on Swis or other places that even India is focussing.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
jain4444 is infamous around these parts jain4444 is infamous around these parts jain4444 is infamous around these parts jain4444 is infamous around these parts jain4444 is infamous around these parts
Default Quick Question

Do people on temporary visa such as H-1B or waiting for green card also need to file FBAR. My understanding was it is for US Citizens and residents of US (My understanding is residents here mean permanent residents)

Old 06-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/10/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Compare
mnkaushik is a splendid one to behold mnkaushik is a splendid one to behold mnkaushik is a splendid one to behold mnkaushik is a splendid one to behold mnkaushik is a splendid one to behold mnkaushik is a splendid one to behold mnkaushik is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomachan72 View Post
I will be surprised if there are not thousands of Indians who sent money to their accounts in India for purchasing property or other matters. Even citizens and GC holders do that. I dont understand why IRS is targetting such places like India where tax evasion is litterally not possible on interest income from banks. They should focus on Swis or other places that even India is focussing.

You know that if you have an NRE account, you dont have to pay income tax in india. So, people can potentially keep money in NRE accounts and never show it in US and never pay taxes in India. Same is the case for MF and even real estate if you funded the whole thing via NRE account. It is always good to inform them and add the interest as your income during our tax filing here.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/10/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Compare
mnkaushik is a splendid one to behold mnkaushik is a splendid one to behold mnkaushik is a splendid one to behold mnkaushik is a splendid one to behold mnkaushik is a splendid one to behold mnkaushik is a splendid one to behold mnkaushik is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jain4444 View Post
Do people on temporary visa such as H-1B or waiting for green card also need to file FBAR. My understanding was it is for US Citizens and residents of US (My understanding is residents here mean permanent residents)
Resident for tax purpose is different from imigration status, I think H1B will be part of it. I used to file both FBAR and pay tax for indian income, when I was on H1B.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
desi485 has a reputation beyond repute desi485 has a reputation beyond repute desi485 has a reputation beyond repute desi485 has a reputation beyond repute desi485 has a reputation beyond repute desi485 has a reputation beyond repute desi485 has a reputation beyond repute desi485 has a reputation beyond repute desi485 has a reputation beyond repute desi485 has a reputation beyond repute desi485 has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow This article has useful information

Quote:
Originally Posted by jain4444 View Post
FBAR: A new financial disclosure for US-based NRIs - The Economic Times

Do you have a bank account in your home country??? must read this article which is published recently. Click on above link to read. Apart from this article, there is an official FAQ page which you can google. Please check with a professionals for your individual case. Good luck!

Last edited by desi485; 06-10-2011 at 01:35 PM.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy

I talked to 2 - 3 tax consultants about FBAR, but none of them had a clear understanding. At least that is what I felt.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
forever_waiting has a reputation beyond repute forever_waiting has a reputation beyond repute forever_waiting has a reputation beyond repute forever_waiting has a reputation beyond repute forever_waiting has a reputation beyond repute forever_waiting has a reputation beyond repute forever_waiting has a reputation beyond repute forever_waiting has a reputation beyond repute forever_waiting has a reputation beyond repute forever_waiting has a reputation beyond repute forever_waiting has a reputation beyond repute

Tax consultants have no clue about various things when it comes to filing taxes for foreign nationals. That is why I started doing my own research and filing taxes on my own.

FBAR has to be filed by anyone and everyone (even an H1B visa holder is a "resident" for tax purposes...but anyway all citizens, visa holders etc come under this requirement).
As everyone knows by now the requirement is applied if you have greater than US$ 10K when you aggregate all your foreign accounts/FDs/CDs etc.

yes - practically maybe the Treasury Dept is only chasing big time money launderers and folks who have stashed away millions in foreign accounts. But considering the penalties involved (which are pretty severe) do you really want to take a chance? When I learnt about the FBAR form last year I went back 4 years and filed FBAR forms for all 4 years that I missed even though my foreign account aggregate balance for each of those years was just a shade over 10K.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever_waiting View Post
Tax consultants have no clue about various things when it comes to filing taxes for foreign nationals. That is why I started doing my own research and filing taxes on my own.

FBAR has to be filed by anyone and everyone (even an H1B visa holder is a "resident" for tax purposes...but anyway all citizens, visa holders etc come under this requirement).
As everyone knows by now the requirement is applied if you have greater than US$ 10K when you aggregate all your foreign accounts/FDs/CDs etc.

yes - practically maybe the Treasury Dept is only chasing big time money launderers and folks who have stashed away millions in foreign accounts. But considering the penalties involved (which are pretty severe) do you really want to take a chance? When I learnt about the FBAR form last year I went back 4 years and filed FBAR forms for all 4 years that I missed even though my foreign account aggregate balance for each of those years was just a shade over 10K.
Is it agreegate or individual account? Example, if I have 2 accounts in india. One has balance of 10k and other one has balance of say only $100. Do I have to file FBAR for both or only for the account which has 10K or more balance?

Old 06-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/10/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/01/2011
Compare
jnr has a reputation beyond repute jnr has a reputation beyond repute jnr has a reputation beyond repute jnr has a reputation beyond repute jnr has a reputation beyond repute jnr has a reputation beyond repute jnr has a reputation beyond repute jnr has a reputation beyond repute jnr has a reputation beyond repute jnr has a reputation beyond repute jnr has a reputation beyond repute

What will be a good reason to state for having not filed FBAR's for years previous to 2010? Anybody with previous successful experiences?

Old 06-21-2011, 01:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/10/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Compare
Default Aggregate

Quote:
Originally Posted by addsf345 View Post
Is it agreegate or individual account? Example, if I have 2 accounts in india. One has balance of 10k and other one has balance of say only $100. Do I have to file FBAR for both or only for the account which has 10K or more balance?
It is total amount (aggregate) and you will haae to provide info for each account.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/10/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/01/2011
Compare
jnr has a reputation beyond repute jnr has a reputation beyond repute jnr has a reputation beyond repute jnr has a reputation beyond repute jnr has a reputation beyond repute jnr has a reputation beyond repute jnr has a reputation beyond repute jnr has a reputation beyond repute jnr has a reputation beyond repute jnr has a reputation beyond repute jnr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever_waiting View Post

What was the reason you gave for your previous 4 year late filings? Did they assess penalty?

What will be a good reason to state for having not filed FBAR's for years previous to 2010? Anybody with previous successful experiences?