Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of
Default Report: U.S. Should Give Preference to Skilled Immigrants Over Relatives

washingtonpost.com

The United States should cut back on the admission of immigrants who are extended-family members of U.S. citizens and permanent residents to make room for more skilled workers, a new independent panel recommended Tuesday.

The 20-member panel, set up by the Brookings Institution and Duke University's Kenan Institute for Ethics, reflected an "unprecedented" range of liberal and conservative thinkers, and was designed to provide a model rather than a specific road map for policy makers as the Obama administration hopes to take up immigration reform early next year, said Noah Pickus, director of the institute and convener of the group........
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
rockrocky has a brilliant future rockrocky has a brilliant future rockrocky has a brilliant future rockrocky has a brilliant future rockrocky has a brilliant future rockrocky has a brilliant future rockrocky has a brilliant future rockrocky has a brilliant future rockrocky has a brilliant future rockrocky has a brilliant future rockrocky has a brilliant future
Default Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitga View Post
washingtonpost.com

The United States should cut back on the admission of immigrants who are extended-family members of U.S. citizens and permanent residents to make room for more skilled workers, a new independent panel recommended Tuesday.

The 20-member panel, set up by the Brookings Institution and Duke University's Kenan Institute for Ethics, reflected an "unprecedented" range of liberal and conservative thinkers, and was designed to provide a model rather than a specific road map for policy makers as the Obama administration hopes to take up immigration reform early next year, said Noah Pickus, director of the institute and convener of the group........
I hope some one from the Govt is listening.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/03/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/03/2007
Compare
dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just one more of the hundrerds

This means nothing. Every week, we see such a report by some "think tank" or "organisation" or some "Policy center".
Fact remains that:
(1)We are being held hostage by the HUGE looby that represents the trespassers (mostly from across the southern border).
(2)The perception that "we STEAL their jobs".

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future

Even if it makes all the sense the political class will not take a look at it. The simple reason is. Relatives who are filing family cases are all voting citizens so no one can go against them. If they issue more GC based on skills it will take 5 years for these guys to become citizens and vote and that too if they vote. The only way forward is lobbying either via immigration voice or by industries who need skilled immigrants. money (campaign funds) and votes are the only two things that ring bells with politicians. Sensible talk by thinktank is directly shown the trash can.
Called CHC and other law makers
Contacted Local Congressman for support to Immigration bills.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rkg000 has a reputation beyond repute rkg000 has a reputation beyond repute rkg000 has a reputation beyond repute rkg000 has a reputation beyond repute rkg000 has a reputation beyond repute rkg000 has a reputation beyond repute rkg000 has a reputation beyond repute rkg000 has a reputation beyond repute rkg000 has a reputation beyond repute rkg000 has a reputation beyond repute rkg000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Long term loss for short term gain

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitga View Post
washingtonpost.com

The whole purpose for family based immigration is to allow citizens to unite with their families left behind. You think it makes perfect sense for people waiting in line for GC now to support something which would give preference to skilled workers over family based quota. I don't think you'd think the same once you become citizen and are trying to get your family members in.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB1C
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Compare
go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg000 View Post
The whole purpose for family based immigration is to allow citizens to unite with their families left behind. You think it makes perfect sense for people waiting in line for GC now to support something which would give preference to skilled workers over family based quota. I don't think you'd think the same once you become citizen and are trying to get your family members in.
F-1/2/3 categories cannot be touched. There have been sometimes talks of
removing the diversity and F-4 category(siblings of USC). But the family based has votes involved and lobby power to oppose any removal legislation.

Last edited by go_guy123; 10-07-2009 at 03:40 PM.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg000 View Post
very insightful. If we only think short-term we'll get bitten a little later.