Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
waitingmygc is infamous around these parts waitingmygc is infamous around these parts waitingmygc is infamous around these parts waitingmygc is infamous around these parts waitingmygc is infamous around these parts waitingmygc is infamous around these parts waitingmygc is infamous around these parts waitingmygc is infamous around these parts waitingmygc is infamous around these parts waitingmygc is infamous around these parts
Default More on Haryana, Himachal separation from Punjab

As I know, read and came to know from friends that Haryana and Himachal separation from Punjab was due to lack of development in the region back in 1960s but not because of religion, languages differences. It seems water was only reason of separation of Haryana from Punjab because agriculture was prime factor of any region development in whole country at that time. Till now, the only thing which Punjab and Haryana governments (only governments) still differ is Water. Which was also true before the partition of Punjab as Haryana region demand of water never addressed by the then state government. As the government used to allocate resources to Punjab Region only.

Moreover, this water issue is no more a big political agenda in State assembly elections of both states. Haryana worked out and still progressing a lot independently on development like roads, infrastructure etc. including water. Haryana has one of the best (if not best) road infrastructure in the country at present including remote areas which are not near to NCR or Chandigarh. You must have been realized it if explored beauty of Himalayas and travelled through this small state of Haryana. Also, you might have realized that the same kind of development is missing in others states including adjoining states. The biggest example is city of Taj Mahal: Agra.

For more read: Haryana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1. Haryana has the 3rd highest per capita income in the country at Rs 49,038 in 2008[2] (Rs 29,887 in 2007[3]) including the largest number of rural crorepatis in India.
2. Official languages: Hindi, Punjabi

The Bottom line, if a State provide balance of funds and development to all of its region, just like care equally of all the fingers or all the childrenís then no more separate states are needed in India including Telangana.

I donít belong to any of the states mentioned in this post.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/10/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
smisachu has a reputation beyond repute smisachu has a reputation beyond repute smisachu has a reputation beyond repute smisachu has a reputation beyond repute smisachu has a reputation beyond repute smisachu has a reputation beyond repute smisachu has a reputation beyond repute smisachu has a reputation beyond repute smisachu has a reputation beyond repute smisachu has a reputation beyond repute smisachu has a reputation beyond repute

There were two proposals when the princely states were integrated into India after independence. One was to draw vertical and horizontal lines across the country at ďxĒ distance and form states of the chunks. The second was to divide the country into linguistic states. The people choose the linguistic method as they wanted to preserve the culture of each state.

What is spoken in Telangana, Andra, Rayalseema etc..telegu right? Then what is this nonsense about splitting the state. Yes Hydrabad is given more prominence than say Guntoor or something but that has happened everywhere. I donít see calls to split maharastra since Mumbai is getting all the prominence. Or split Tamil Nadu as Chennai is getting all the prominence. This whole concept of dividing people is what our low life politicians have picked up from the British. We should not fall for it. The excuse that the states are too big to manage just means that the politicians are incapable of managing them and are incapable of performing their jobs and should quit. Elect someone who is capable.

This thing about splitting Andra will just snowball into all different regions in the country wanting different states. I donít know about you Andra guys but if I were you I would have spit on the face of the politicians who want to separate you and would have stood united and told them bastards to shut up with their divide and rule.

Disclaimer- I am from Karnataka and if any politician even thinks of splitting my state he will end up with a face like the Italian Prime minister- Silvio Berlusconi!
RD- Sep 4th 2007
EAD- Sep 17th 2007
FP- Sep 28th
AP- Oct 1st

First application:
EB-2 Aug 2002-Employer Shut Down

GREENED AUG 5th 2010

Old 12-14-2009, 05:35 PM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/10/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
we_r_d_world is a splendid one to behold we_r_d_world is a splendid one to behold we_r_d_world is a splendid one to behold we_r_d_world is a splendid one to behold we_r_d_world is a splendid one to behold we_r_d_world is a splendid one to behold we_r_d_world is a splendid one to behold we_r_d_world is a splendid one to behold
Default Stop!!!

All,
It is informative to read about sentiments, but there needs to be a limit.

Please stop this bickering....

Vent your energy towards our goals in US, lest you all forget, we are on this forum for GC and related issues. Lets focus on our ongoing plight and fight for GC. You all fighting here will change nothing for AP/Tela/Seema etc...

Please, lets stay focused.

Thank you for reading.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Compare
ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future

Split is not at all about people's prosperity.

Andhra in South block is big state in terms of determining the Delhi power.If A.P is split into two it becomes easier for Delhi powers to manipulate in all aspects be it in determing the ruling party or demand of the state(s) for resource allocation.
Congress tops guns want to successfully split Telangana and use the model on other states especailly UP.I read this article today where COngress's enthusiasm to split A.P is driven by Rahul's plan to split U.P into two(Bundelkhand and Purvanchal).only Mayawati wants 3 pieces
Chidambaram's answer when he was announcing Separate Telangan few nights back to a Journo's question:'Would n't such move on Telangana encourage other states?' was'When U.S.A has 50 states why not India?'.This pretty much shows their attitude(India doesn't have as much land as U.S does nor does U.S has as much diversity as we do, not to mention population,corruption)

If Telangana succeeds these want to follow.

Gurkha mOrcha in W.Bangal,Some group in Tamilnadu,Koorg in Karnataka,Saurashtra in Gujarat,U.P into 2/3 parts,as of yet Maharastra is not making any noise but they want 3 parts I guess,Rajasthan(don't know how many pieces?).

Tamilnadu's ruling and opposiiton leaders have condemned Centre's hasty decision on A.P split as ,if A.P is split then it will add fuel to the demand of the people that want split in their state.

If split happens at the most few jobless politicians will become overnight millionaires , some forum members will enjoy soothed ego and then after the honeymoon period is over reality will be back to not just normal but worst. Remember that story of two fighting cats with a piece of bread and monkey.It will be pretty much the same.
Most affected will be people where nothing will ever get done in any state.Much more corruption.

Last edited by ita; 12-14-2009 at 07:17 PM.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Compare
mailmy_gc is a jewel in the rough mailmy_gc is a jewel in the rough mailmy_gc is a jewel in the rough
Default Not even families ...

When husband and wife have clashes, Instead of staying together and fight forever people file for divorce. Instead of fighting every day, why can't we divide

Are these idiot andhra and seema piliticians are staying in one house united with their brothers and parents. They can't live with their brother and parents in single house united but they want "United Andhra pradesh" Haha... what a joke

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Compare
ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future
Default On a humerous note

When I was watching the vidoe I was thinking Italian's took care of Italian PM in Italy.What about the Italian In India? She is the concern for most of the states for now.Again it's just on humerous note in case you belong to the 'I admire the Italain in India' club

Quote:
Originally Posted by smisachu View Post
There were two proposals when the princely states were integrated into India after independence. One was to draw vertical and horizontal lines across the country at ďxĒ distance and form states of the chunks. The second was to divide the country into linguistic states. The people choose the linguistic method as they wanted to preserve the culture of each state.

What is spoken in Telangana, Andra, Rayalseema etc..telegu right? Then what is this nonsense about splitting the state. Yes Hydrabad is given more prominence than say Guntoor or something but that has happened everywhere. I donít see calls to split maharastra since Mumbai is getting all the prominence. Or split Tamil Nadu as Chennai is getting all the prominence. This whole concept of dividing people is what our low life politicians have picked up from the British. We should not fall for it. The excuse that the states are too big to manage just means that the politicians are incapable of managing them and are incapable of performing their jobs and should quit. Elect someone who is capable.

This thing about splitting Andra will just snowball into all different regions in the country wanting different states. I donít know about you Andra guys but if I were you I would have spit on the face of the politicians who want to separate you and would have stood united and told them bastards to shut up with their divide and rule.

Disclaimer- I am from Karnataka and if any politician even thinks of splitting my state he will end up with a face like the Italian Prime minister- Silvio Berlusconi!

Old 12-14-2009, 07:26 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/20/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/27/2011
Compare
prashanthg has a brilliant future prashanthg has a brilliant future prashanthg has a brilliant future prashanthg has a brilliant future prashanthg has a brilliant future prashanthg has a brilliant future prashanthg has a brilliant future prashanthg has a brilliant future prashanthg has a brilliant future prashanthg has a brilliant future prashanthg has a brilliant future
Default You are too naive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvgc View Post
I am very doubtful about the development of telangana after the formation of the new state due to the power jostling that might happen among the various rich and powerful groups who have not had their share of power in the combined state.

The better solution would be to use a carrot and stick approach to get the needed natural resources for the backward regions of telanagana, rayalaseema and andhra.

The best solution would be to form a group of like minded individuals and go back and contest in elections from all the places at the same time.

I am seriously comtemplating on the last option. Any takers?

>>>> Sorry to throw water on your political ambitions, but, we have a nice leader in AP. Jayaprakash narayan (or what ever). Every one I spoke to thinks that he is an honest guy, but, no body votes for him because he and his candidates are not going to win. (Did he even get 3% votes in the last elections? )
This is a chicken and Egg problem right? Welcome to Indian politics.

Disclosure: I am from telanagana
Hmmm!
I140 approved Dec-2008
I485 Not filed under EB-3 - Waiting for the Priority date...
Started a new EB2 with a different company
LC approved april-2011
I140 filed May-2011
I485 filed Jun/Jul - 2011
I485 Approved - Oct-2011

Old 12-14-2009, 08:00 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sreeni.k is infamous around these parts sreeni.k is infamous around these parts sreeni.k is infamous around these parts

Good comparision but - Well they sired a metropolis called hyderabad with womb of telangana and who gets it? Also who gets what - what about the kids - - i agree for an outsider it will look simple but the implications are tremendous and its a really messy division and both husband and wife still care for each other and worried for telangana falling in hands of destructive politicians. It may be water issues, or historical disservice to kurnool-tremendous educational institutes- infrastructure questions, revenuie sharing and biggest of all emotional attachments for hyd born people like us being called outsiders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailmy_gc View Post
When husband and wife have clashes, Instead of staying together and fight forever people file for divorce. Instead of fighting every day, why can't we divide

Are these idiot andhra and seema piliticians are staying in one house united with their brothers and parents. They can't live with their brother and parents in single house united but they want "United Andhra pradesh" Haha... what a joke

Old 12-14-2009, 08:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Compare

Sorry to throw water on your JP admiration.

I was also very impressed with JP watching his videos,Talked to people who were convinced he is nice and so I was convinced he is nice too (I used to wonder why he critcised TDP so heavily and almost never Congress although Congress has all the vices that TDP has and more.But I brushed it aside)

Recently I started finding out inconsistencies with what he talks and walks.

He is very close to Congress leadership on one hand and close to Ramoji Rao (you what is common btwn them of course)on the other.Smart guy.
He was the member of NAC in the prvious UPA govt (filled with criminals)
First person he met when he launched his party is Sonia.Why?

Even if you ignore all these facts, when you look up his performance so far after elections one of the things he did was oppose creation of category for Christian reservartion under Dalit quota only to propose a whole new category for Christian Reservations.SOme may not find anything wrong with this but this definitely is against the image this guys tries to set about himself through his speeches.He is also a lot more bookish.May be let him be there and help his contiitunecy but not more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthg View Post
Hmmm! Sorry to throw water on your political ambitions, but, we have a nice leader in AP. Jayaprakash narayan (or what ever). Every one I spoke to thinks that he is an honest guy, but, no body votes for him because he and his candidates are not going to win. (Did he even get 3% votes in the last elections? )

Old 12-14-2009, 10:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/12/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/12/2007
Compare
chillian00 is on a distinguished road
Default Telangana issue is not related to our immigration cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by ita View Post
Sorry to throw water on your JP admiration.

I was also very impressed with JP watching his videos,Talked to people who were convinced he is nice and so I was convinced he is nice too (I used to wonder why he critcised TDP so heavily and almost never Congress although Congress has all the vices that TDP has and more.But I brushed it aside)

Recently I started finding out inconsistencies with what he talks and walks.

He is very close to Congress leadership on one hand and close to Ramoji Rao (you what is common btwn them of course)on the other.Smart guy.
He was the member of NAC in the prvious UPA govt (filled with criminals)
First person he met when he launched his party is Sonia.Why?

Even if you ignore all these facts, when you look up his performance so far after elections one of the things he did was oppose creation of category for Christian reservartion under Dalit quota only to propose a whole new category for Christian Reservations.SOme may not find anything wrong with this but this definitely is against the image this guys tries to set about himself through his speeches.He is also a lot more bookish.May be let him be there and help his contiitunecy but not more.

Hey Dude..This site is for immigration issues in US and not the political issues in some part of India

Old 12-14-2009, 10:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
imv116 has a reputation beyond repute imv116 has a reputation beyond repute imv116 has a reputation beyond repute imv116 has a reputation beyond repute imv116 has a reputation beyond repute imv116 has a reputation beyond repute imv116 has a reputation beyond repute imv116 has a reputation beyond repute imv116 has a reputation beyond repute imv116 has a reputation beyond repute imv116 has a reputation beyond repute

We have progressed to such an extent that we are able to send rockets to space, command among countries that we are an emerging super power. But inside we are crumbling, loosing our language, our culture. If we can't foresee 50 years on a decision taken and accepted by every one that we as Tamils, Telugu's etc will stay together linguistically how can we as country stay united in the future.

Telugu people are essentially the same. Telangana was under direct Nizam rule, while the Andhra and Rayalaseema regions were under various kings/Zamindars(under Nizam too) that paid taxes to Nizam.

This will only help some party in the center to play more games with people's minds. Who known’s probably this is some game by Sonia to have her Son, be an undisputed leader of India...Good Luck to all Indians...I think in another generation we in USA will anyway forget our roots, and our kids will don't even know what Telugu is.

Today we feel bad because we know our language and our roots. I am happy for all people who migrated to USA, because our kids don't have to go through this...

Last edited by imv116; 12-14-2009 at 11:14 PM.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Compare
n_2006 has much to be proud of n_2006 has much to be proud of n_2006 has much to be proud of n_2006 has much to be proud of n_2006 has much to be proud of n_2006 has much to be proud of n_2006 has much to be proud of n_2006 has much to be proud of
Default Nineteenth Century Politics Over Telangana

The casual and arbitrary approach of the Union Government, short-term vote-bank politics of parties and shameless political duplicity have led to a wholly avoidable crisis over Telangana, says JAYAPRAKASH NARAYAN.

Suddenly, the State of Andhra Pradesh and the whole nation are in turmoil. The tranquil climate, so vital for economic prosperity at a time of tough global challenges and great opportunities, has been vitiated by the pursuit of vote-banks and the arousing of primordial loyalties.

Politicians playing with fire have now opened the Pandora's Box and have sown the seeds of discord in many pockets of India. A dangerous message has gone out: Elections, constitutional process, reasoned and healthy public discourse are not important; indulge in rabble-rousing, promote violence and obstruction, and the government will yield.

To understand the tumult in Andhra Pradesh now, one should imagine what would happen in Tamil Nadu if a new state of North Tamil Nadu, along with Chennai, is carved out; or the consternation in Karnataka if South Karnataka with Bengaluru is carved out as a separate State.

For the first time, a region with a large capital city wants to separate as a State. So far, every demand for a new State has been from far-flung areas away from the State capital. Hyderabad is not just another city. It is on par with Chennai and Bengaluru, and with 85 lakh people, accounts for over 25 per cent of the population of Telangana and 60 per cent of the economy of the region. Millions from all over the country and the various regions of AP have made it their home.

Every significant political, business or civil society leader has made Hyderabad home, and is emotionally attached to the city, even if the political base may be elsewhere. In such a situation, the all-too-casual approach to separate Statehood is calamitous.

Firm stand

The Indian nation is still in the making. Indira Gandhi was both powerful and, on occasion, autocratic. But even when her party had monopoly of power, she understood the fragility of the nation and worked hard to find a compromise on demands for Statehood.

Two major agitations for separate Statehood shook Andhra Pradesh ó in Telangana in 1969, and in the Andhra region in 1973. Indira Gandhi had complete political sway over the whole State without any challenge, and yet she recognised and stated that if each group of districts, or sub-region, wants separate Statehood, eventually every district would become a State and the nation would be ungovernable. At that time, the population of Hyderabad was 10 lakh.

Once the Congress government in Delhi amended the Constitution (32nd Amendment), inserted Article 371-D, and hammered out a six-point formula to protect the interests of Telangana, there was peace and quiet for over 30 years. Hyderabad grew very rapidly and became a major economic hub. And now, again, the casual and arbitrary approach of the union government, short-term vote bank politics of parties and shameless political duplicity have led to a wholly avoidable crisis, that has further undermined the eroding legitimacy of politics and parties.

Losing resources

There are serious economic issues to be examined on the issue of carving out a separate State in Andhra Pradesh. First, the capital city is a serious bone of contention, and once people and investors lose faith in the future, it will decline rapidly.

This will hurt both Andhra Pradesh and India, because large cities are now important clusters of growth, and if a Mumbai or Delhi faces economic hardship, the whole nation will be impacted by the fallout.

Second, parts of the coastal region are agriculturally well-developed and have resources and surpluses. For instance, the coastal region generates surplus revenues in the power sector, and is subsidising power for farmers in Telangana and Rayalaseema. A separate State will be burdened by an unviable power sector.

Costal regions are always engines of growth all over the world. Telangana is land-locked, and losing the costal region would retard growth and opportunities. Again, this is the first time a land-locked region is seeking to separate from the coastal belt. When passions subside, the pain and deprivation will be felt.

Water resources are always a bone of contention in a monsoon-fed country. Even in a relatively well-managed city of Mumbai, enjoying abundant rainfall on the West coast, water riots took a life recently. In a water-starved region, river water disputes will escalate, and sharing of Krishna and Godavari waters will be a nightmare.

In the K-G basin off the Andhra coast, abundant natural gas reserves have recently been found, and are being tapped. Already, there is the challenge of sharing natural resources between the home State and the rest of India, and now Telangana will be further depleted.

Large, unviable lift irrigation projects ó at a capital cost of Rs 3-4 lakh per acre and Rs 40,000 per year per acre maintenance cost ó have been unwisely proposed in Telangana. They will be a permanent drain on the economy of the region, undermining it without ensuring benefits.

Politics of inclusion

Poverty, backwardness, corruption, lack of opportunity and unemployment are endemic to many of the country's States and sub-regions. These are caused by failed policies, misgovernance and the politics of plunder, leading to kleptocracy.

Large parts of Telangana and Rayalaseema, most of north coastal Andhra Pradesh, upland areas of delta districts, and many families suffering discrimination by birth in every village ó all of them are victims of terrible misgovernance and political failure.

The perpetuation of poverty and under-development is largely the result of the plunder of local politicians and bureaucrats. A change of the State's name or boundaries or capital will not alter anything.

The need of the hour is to accelerate growth and promote equity and opportunities. What every sub-region of Andhra Pradesh, indeed every part of India, needs is empowerment of people, district governments and third-tier of federalism to help people fulfil their potential.

We cannot use 19th century notions of divisive politics in a 21th century world.

Source: Hindu Business Line

Old 12-15-2009, 12:26 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sreeni.k is infamous around these parts sreeni.k is infamous around these parts sreeni.k is infamous around these parts
Default Movement against corruption

Add to this: 2 states = 2 governments - double the bureaucracy - double the law machinery- double politicians to plunder the wealth of the country - double the government jobs = less for the development projects.

I searched through lagadapati rajagopal's (Vijayawada MP) wealth- his family owns about 55% of lanco infrotech (from BSE share holding pattern) and his wealth is about 5000 crores. Lanco infra grew 8 times the revenue in 3 years - went from 500 crores to 40000 crores - thats unimaginable rise for a infrastructure company. Imagine he is the one discussing one andhra now and going to fast for it. He has his vested interests in all this- as lanco hills will loose and so does his money. Same applies to telangana politicians - they are waiting like hungry dogs to plunder the wealth of this state and hyderabad. What's the purpose of all these divisive movements about. The same movement could have been run by students against corruption of jagan/lanco/KCR/madhu yashki and we will gain about 1 years budget for AP government.

One guy said- we shouldn't be discussing these issues here. I beg to disagree about it. It is the politicians and corrupt government in india which lead us through this immigration path. If governments in india really are run for the people welfare and develop good opportunities for all educated middle class - we would not have think of immigration as a solution. So those issues should be inclusive of any immigrant debate. Why all these highly educated people coming to US of A and trying to settle here pandering to every visa bulletin to be part of something better then India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_2006 View Post
The casual and arbitrary approach of the Union Government, short-term vote-bank politics of parties and shameless political duplicity have led to a wholly avoidable crisis over Telangana, says JAYAPRAKASH NARAYAN.

Suddenly, the State of Andhra Pradesh and the whole nation are in turmoil. The tranquil climate, so vital for economic prosperity at a time of tough global challenges and great opportunities, has been vitiated by the pursuit of vote-banks and the arousing of primordial loyalties.

Politicians playing with fire have now opened the Pandora's Box and have sown the seeds of discord in many pockets of India. A dangerous message has gone out: Elections, constitutional process, reasoned and healthy public discourse are not important; indulge in rabble-rousing, promote violence and obstruction, and the government will yield.

To understand the tumult in Andhra Pradesh now, one should imagine what would happen in Tamil Nadu if a new state of North Tamil Nadu, along with Chennai, is carved out; or the consternation in Karnataka if South Karnataka with Bengaluru is carved out as a separate State.

For the first time, a region with a large capital city wants to separate as a State. So far, every demand for a new State has been from far-flung areas away from the State capital. Hyderabad is not just another city. It is on par with Chennai and Bengaluru, and with 85 lakh people, accounts for over 25 per cent of the population of Telangana and 60 per cent of the economy of the region. Millions from all over the country and the various regions of AP have made it their home.

Every significant political, business or civil society leader has made Hyderabad home, and is emotionally attached to the city, even if the political base may be elsewhere. In such a situation, the all-too-casual approach to separate Statehood is calamitous.

Firm stand

The Indian nation is still in the making. Indira Gandhi was both powerful and, on occasion, autocratic. But even when her party had monopoly of power, she understood the fragility of the nation and worked hard to find a compromise on demands for Statehood.

Two major agitations for separate Statehood shook Andhra Pradesh — in Telangana in 1969, and in the Andhra region in 1973. Indira Gandhi had complete political sway over the whole State without any challenge, and yet she recognised and stated that if each group of districts, or sub-region, wants separate Statehood, eventually every district would become a State and the nation would be ungovernable. At that time, the population of Hyderabad was 10 lakh.

Once the Congress government in Delhi amended the Constitution (32nd Amendment), inserted Article 371-D, and hammered out a six-point formula to protect the interests of Telangana, there was peace and quiet for over 30 years. Hyderabad grew very rapidly and became a major economic hub. And now, again, the casual and arbitrary approach of the union government, short-term vote bank politics of parties and shameless political duplicity have led to a wholly avoidable crisis, that has further undermined the eroding legitimacy of politics and parties.

Losing resources

There are serious economic issues to be examined on the issue of carving out a separate State in Andhra Pradesh. First, the capital city is a serious bone of contention, and once people and investors lose faith in the future, it will decline rapidly.

This will hurt both Andhra Pradesh and India, because large cities are now important clusters of growth, and if a Mumbai or Delhi faces economic hardship, the whole nation will be impacted by the fallout.

Second, parts of the coastal region are agriculturally well-developed and have resources and surpluses. For instance, the coastal region generates surplus revenues in the power sector, and is subsidising power for farmers in Telangana and Rayalaseema. A separate State will be burdened by an unviable power sector.

Costal regions are always engines of growth all over the world. Telangana is land-locked, and losing the costal region would retard growth and opportunities. Again, this is the first time a land-locked region is seeking to separate from the coastal belt. When passions subside, the pain and deprivation will be felt.

Water resources are always a bone of contention in a monsoon-fed country. Even in a relatively well-managed city of Mumbai, enjoying abundant rainfall on the West coast, water riots took a life recently. In a water-starved region, river water disputes will escalate, and sharing of Krishna and Godavari waters will be a nightmare.

In the K-G basin off the Andhra coast, abundant natural gas reserves have recently been found, and are being tapped. Already, there is the challenge of sharing natural resources between the home State and the rest of India, and now Telangana will be further depleted.

Large, unviable lift irrigation projects — at a capital cost of Rs 3-4 lakh per acre and Rs 40,000 per year per acre maintenance cost — have been unwisely proposed in Telangana. They will be a permanent drain on the economy of the region, undermining it without ensuring benefits.

Politics of inclusion

Poverty, backwardness, corruption, lack of opportunity and unemployment are endemic to many of the country's States and sub-regions. These are caused by failed policies, misgovernance and the politics of plunder, leading to kleptocracy.

Large parts of Telangana and Rayalaseema, most of north coastal Andhra Pradesh, upland areas of delta districts, and many families suffering discrimination by birth in every village — all of them are victims of terrible misgovernance and political failure.

The perpetuation of poverty and under-development is largely the result of the plunder of local politicians and bureaucrats. A change of the State's name or boundaries or capital will not alter anything.

The need of the hour is to accelerate growth and promote equity and opportunities. What every sub-region of Andhra Pradesh, indeed every part of India, needs is empowerment of people, district governments and third-tier of federalism to help people fulfil their potential.

We cannot use 19th century notions of divisive politics in a 21th century world.

Source: Hindu Business Line

Last edited by sreeni.k; 12-15-2009 at 12:30 AM.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:56 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
greatandhra has a spectacular aura about greatandhra has a spectacular aura about
Default letstalklc

Quote:
Originally Posted by letstalklc View Post
Great Andhra - read my reply first and understand basic things...

One word - Telangana means not only TRS party okay....keep in mind there are other parties and all of them said in favor of telangana....as I said because of stupid politicians lot of places are backward....

If you want I will provide the good documentation on this, read first and then comment....
Don't forget TRS party was formed to achieve separate state.
Telangana state is TRS party's main agenda. TRS should contest to all seats in Telangana but not why? It's knows Telangana sentiment is strong only in couple of districts.

So it's went for alliance with other parties. Other parties went alliance with TRS because of some votes.

BJP said they will give telangana, but they didn't even though they were in power for 5 years.

Just recall last 6 years, in 2004 elections congress promise for telangana stage. They agreed for 2nd SRC and A.Narendra from TRS signed on this agreement.

But congress leaders from telangana region like KK,VH and others promised for it. Remember it's not on congress manifesto.

2009 feb,in assembly YSR said he is not against for telengana but everybody should agree for it and there should be discussions among all regions on all issues.
YSR didn't promise for separate telangana and he won 2009 elections.

Now 140+ MLA's reigned and 20+ ministers are ready to quit that makes 160 out of 294 which means majority want to stay united.

and BTW regarding the report, I want latest report, not the one that was prepared 20 years back, that too this report should be prepared by independent agency or research body not by some Jayashankar or KK or VH etc..

You didn't get my point, why all these leaders asking for separate state didn't add any value or development to their places for all these years?

Development of any place depends upon leaders not by states.

We already have problems with Maharashtra and Karnataka by having another state adds fuel to the fire.

As I said before separate state does not solve problems, it's depends upon which leaders we are elected. If you believe current telangana leaders and gave power to them it will become another disaster to the people.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:10 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default lagadapati's wealth

Here is the link to lagadaati rajagopal's wealth ; His family et. al. owns 102,490,425
shares each worth 590 Rs as off yesterday market value in lanco infratech
The revenues of this company went from 541 crores in 2007 to 40,800 crores in 08-09 FYI. Stock went from 10 Rs to 590 rs.

ShareHolding INFRATECH LTD.&QtrName=September 2009

Madhu koda was nothing compared to this - he was dumb to think he can hide cash- This is white corruption making super rich politicians out of monopolising infrastructure, real estate. 6000 Crores - 1.2 billion dollars. We could have created a semiconductor industry employing 20000 highly educated people with this kind of money. He is just an MP multiply that with 42 MP's in AP- and 550+ in india.

Welcome to YS Jagan's model of governance.

-------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeni.k View Post
Add to this: 2 states = 2 governments - double the bureaucracy - double the law machinery- double politicians to plunder the wealth of the country - double the government jobs = less for the development projects.

I searched through lagadapati rajagopal's (Vijayawada MP) wealth- his family owns about 55% of lanco infrotech (from BSE share holding pattern) and his wealth is about 5000 crores. Lanco infra grew 8 times the revenue in 3 years - went from 500 crores to 40000 crores - thats unimaginable rise for a infrastructure company. Imagine he is the one discussing one andhra now and going to fast for it. He has his vested interests in all this- as lanco hills will loose and so does his money. Same applies to telangana politicians - they are waiting like hungry dogs to plunder the wealth of this state and hyderabad. What's the purpose of all these divisive movements about. The same movement could have been run by students against corruption of jagan/lanco/KCR/madhu yashki and we will gain about 1 years budget for AP government.

One guy said- we shouldn't be discussing these issues here. I beg to disagree about it. It is the politicians and corrupt government in india which lead us through this immigration path. If governments in india really are run for the people welfare and develop good opportunities for all educated middle class - we would not have think of immigration as a solution. So those issues should be inclusive of any immigrant debate. Why all these highly educated people coming to US of A and trying to settle here pandering to every visa bulletin to be part of something better then India.

Last edited by sreeni.k; 12-15-2009 at 01:21 AM.