Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > Sept 18th Rally: Car-pooling, Group Reservations for Air travel, hotel etc.
Click to log in with Facebook
Sept 18th Rally: Car-pooling, Group Reservations for Air travel, hotel etc. This forums is for threads that are pertinent to Sept 18th rally. If you want to carpool to DC, travel by Air and looking for group reservation for cheaper rates with other members in your city, group reservation for Hotels, rental cars etc, please put threads here and then communicate with local IV members.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Congrats !!

Congrats buddy !! You deserve it . All the best for your future . Your efforts have really been great for IV and I am sure everyone appreciates it.

EB3 - India - PD - Sep 2004
I140/485 AP - 08/02/2007
FP - 11/2007
AP/EAD - 11/2007
AP/EAD - 2008
AP - 2009
EAD - 2010
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2008, 03:18 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2006
Chargeability
:
United Kingdom
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/03/2007
Compare
mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute
Default house

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKR View Post
Congrats Mark, we are happy for you.

Fellow IVr’s – Does anyone know of some place or any institution that awards individual projects for being environment friendly?. We can propose Mark’s house for the award. This can be a small token of appreciation for what he has been doing for us. Just a thought…
I see that you spotted a link I posted on another thread.
For readers of this thread here's the link http://tinyurl.com/2jzbfq
(That's photovoltaic solar tiles being installed)

My house is now zero net energy (electric and heating).
Solar electric power, with ground source heat pump for heating (takes heat out of ground powered by electric from solar), and quad glazing.
Next I plan to extract heat out from under the roof tiles to pre-heat water, and heat the pool, and bulk up many of the walls to 8 or 10" thick.

The more people get interested in this the better.

Mr. Dobbs appears frightened or angry about all the immigrants coming, what he needs to be frightened of is being dependent on imported energy. While he is sat at home a few miles from me (he also lives on Long Island), he is likely keeping warm in his mansion burning tons of oil. He could be putting his voice to real use rather than spouting drivel.
If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoice. It will help us continue this effort and serve the community. Thank you.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
hianupam has a spectacular aura about hianupam has a spectacular aura about

Mark,
Looks pretty cool. I am also in the energy industry. I support a electricity trading desk and can appreciate your concern about dependence on foreign energy specifically of the fossil fuel kind.
Did you do an economic audit of installing the system? The part of pennsylvania that I live in is going to be deregulated in 2010 and electricity prices are projected to go up 30-40%.
I wanted to do an analysis on payoff on the system.Can you share cost numbers of the system?
Hey you can also sell RECs (renewable energy credits). In NJ I just bought a bunch for $300/MW-yr.
Best,
Anupam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbartosik View Post
I see that you spotted a link I posted on another thread.
For readers of this thread here's the link http://tinyurl.com/2jzbfq
(That's photovoltaic solar tiles being installed)

My house is now zero net energy (electric and heating).
Solar electric power, with ground source heat pump for heating (takes heat out of ground powered by electric from solar), and quad glazing.
Next I plan to extract heat out from under the roof tiles to pre-heat water, and heat the pool, and bulk up many of the walls to 8 or 10" thick.

The more people get interested in this the better.

Mr. Dobbs appears frightened or angry about all the immigrants coming, what he needs to be frightened of is being dependent on imported energy. While he is sat at home a few miles from me (he also lives on Long Island), he is likely keeping warm in his mansion burning tons of oil. He could be putting his voice to real use rather than spouting drivel.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2006
Chargeability
:
United Kingdom
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/03/2007
Compare
mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute
Default I did a lot of analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hianupam View Post
Mark,
Looks pretty cool. I am also in the energy industry. I support a electricity trading desk and can appreciate your concern about dependence on foreign energy specifically of the fossil fuel kind.
Did you do an economic audit of installing the system? The part of pennsylvania that I live in is going to be deregulated in 2010 and electricity prices are projected to go up 30-40%.
I wanted to do an analysis on payoff on the system.Can you share cost numbers of the system?
Hey you can also sell RECs (renewable energy credits). In NJ I just bought a bunch for $300/MW-yr.
Best,
Anupam
I did a lot of analysis. But payback was not my largest concern.
Payback heavily depends on what rebates are available, and tax situation, new construction or retrofit.

www.dsireusa.org -- for rebates
www.lishines.org -- info for Long Island (where I live).
www.openenergycorp.com -- manufacturer of the tiles I used.

Payback for traditional panels in an area with high electric costs (here about $0.20 / KWh) and good rebates is typically about 9 to 11 years. For building integrated the cost is significantly higher, and payback much longer.

Here are some sample costs:

Retrofit panels -- about $7.50 per watt professionally installed, about $5.50 to $6 per watt for materials. In California I've seen $10 quoted for prof install (which seems crazy to me).

Retrofit tiles -- more like $10 per watt and higher (I have seen $15). A lot of variables here, including cost of removing old roof surface, whether you subtract cost of a traditional new roof.

The system in the pictures is about 9KW.

Production varies by site, deduct about 20% to 30% for east or west facing compared with south facing (thus longer pay back). My largest system is west facing.

What do you assume for energy inflation? On Long Island 60% of electricity at power stations comes from burning oil.

Here are some sample rebates:
$3.50 per watt from my utility.
Up to $2000 from Fed gov per tax year in which qualifying equipment is installed (makes sense to install in stages to cover more than one tax year). This expires this year, but Democrats are trying to push through renewal.
Up to $5000 from state (in NY), I think NJ may be more generous than NY.

At the most tax efficient end it is possible to install about 5KW and pay as little as $7000, and half your electric bill for average house (generate about 5000KWh per year roughly depending on location). That would require a DIY install, and installing 2.5KW in tax year 1, and 2.5KW in tax year 2. It would pay back in as little as 5 or 6 years, and then give a return on investment of about 15% for the next 20 years.

Let's just say that my system cost lot more, but my aim was not minimum cost, indeed I never really added up the total cost for my system. I designed it myself, and had numerous contractors do different parts of it. My aim was zero net energy usage.

For those who read this who are serious about installing solar power, or geothermal heating, my direct email is mbartosik at yahoo.com.
If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoice. It will help us continue this effort and serve the community. Thank you.

Last edited by mbartosik; 05-21-2008 at 04:20 PM.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/13/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold

Congratulations Mark!

I remember your wonderfully funny speech in front of the US Capitol on the DC rally day. I hope you continue lifting the tired spirits with your humor and energy

Chapter : WA

ATTENDED DC RALLY
Contacted Law-makers
Contributed $275 so far
Brought 3 new contributing members to IV

Old 05-21-2008, 07:18 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
Dandruff will become famous soon enough

Congrats Mark!

Old 05-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
nandakumar is a splendid one to behold nandakumar is a splendid one to behold nandakumar is a splendid one to behold nandakumar is a splendid one to behold nandakumar is a splendid one to behold nandakumar is a splendid one to behold nandakumar is a splendid one to behold
Default Congrats Mark

Congrats for the Green Card. You deserve it.

I have personally seen your enthusiam and commitment during the DC rally.

Thanks for all your efforts.