Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Visitor and business visa
Click to log in with Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gk_kumar is on a distinguished road
Angry Medical Treatment for Parents: Health Insurance does not cover this

Hello,

My parents have visiting visa to the US, I want to get a treatment here for them, it costs 100-500K USD, health insurance does not cover this, is there a way I can get them this treatment and pay the amount slowly in a payment plan.

All I want is the treatment and I am ready this pay this amount slowly for many years later on.

Please Advice
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
eb2_immigrant is a splendid one to behold eb2_immigrant is a splendid one to behold eb2_immigrant is a splendid one to behold eb2_immigrant is a splendid one to behold eb2_immigrant is a splendid one to behold eb2_immigrant is a splendid one to behold eb2_immigrant is a splendid one to behold eb2_immigrant is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up why not in India ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk_kumar View Post
Hello,

My parents have visiting visa to the US, I want to get a treatment here for them, it costs 100-500K USD, health insurance does not cover this, is there a way I can get them this treatment and pay the amount slowly in a payment plan.

All I want is the treatment and I am ready this pay this amount slowly for many years later on.

Please Advice
Looking at your Id I am assuming you are from India. Did you check if this treatment could be done in india? I am confident that its affordalbe there and with few exception pretty much everything is treated in India these days.

If you want your parents to get treated in US only, sure you can take them to ER and then get the complete diagnosis done. Once the treatment is done you can talk to the hospital and come up with a payment plan. It is not as simple as I say , they would not admit in hospital unless the condition of the patient is critical. There are lot of other things to consider. One thing is for sure though, You can get the treatment done but you don't have to pay everything right away unlike in India where you have to pay upfront.
I-485 - Aug 3 2010-Approved
EAD & AP renewal efiled Jun 6
EAD renewal 2 yrs approved Aug 28 2008 Card received 9/3
AP renewal approved Jul 28
LUD on 485
5/20 ->AR11
9/5 & 9/8
TSC

Old 07-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
punjabi has a reputation beyond repute punjabi has a reputation beyond repute punjabi has a reputation beyond repute punjabi has a reputation beyond repute punjabi has a reputation beyond repute punjabi has a reputation beyond repute punjabi has a reputation beyond repute punjabi has a reputation beyond repute punjabi has a reputation beyond repute punjabi has a reputation beyond repute punjabi has a reputation beyond repute
Default state benefits

Depending upon certain factors, you might get an aid from State or Federal Medical Benefits program. Every state has their own benefit programs and some medical benefits are also governed by federal govt.

In your parents case, check it out with them if they will get qualified. It is my guess that visitors to US get limited benefits but only your state is able to tell you that.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk_kumar View Post
Hello,

Please Advice

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Life is a game....why get serious?
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
$930 in contribution, DC Rally & Phone Campaign

[SAVE PAPER think before you print.]

Last edited by punjabi; 07-04-2009 at 01:20 PM.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
NNReddy has a reputation beyond repute NNReddy has a reputation beyond repute NNReddy has a reputation beyond repute NNReddy has a reputation beyond repute NNReddy has a reputation beyond repute NNReddy has a reputation beyond repute NNReddy has a reputation beyond repute NNReddy has a reputation beyond repute NNReddy has a reputation beyond repute NNReddy has a reputation beyond repute NNReddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Visitor Visa Extension on Medical Grounds

I am trying to find a forum on immigration voice about visitor visa extension on medical grounds. My mother-in-law is visiting USA and is scheduled to depart in 10 days. She had an emergency small intestine surgery, we need to apply for her visa extension. Can we ask for visitor visa extension on medical grounds or is it better to ask for extension on tourism grounds. Please advise if anybody had similar situation.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
freeindia is just really nice freeindia is just really nice freeindia is just really nice freeindia is just really nice freeindia is just really nice
Default Scam(s) --Medical Insurance for Visitors

IV is really a great platform for immigration and immigrant related issues.
Hats off to all the founders and members for their contributions.

I want to let everyone know about the scam(s) being run by most of the Medical Insurance Company's especially for parents holding Visitor Visa's.

My parents visited US 3 months back and I have done good amount of research and after inquiring about various plan details got medical insurance from ICICI.
My parents paid around $1400.00 for 6 months.

The policy's name it self mentions Cash Less claim policy meaning
no payments/approvals required at the time of service and their US tie up United Health Care would take care of all the charges.

Unfortunately, my father had developed Heart Symptoms and on the advise of a family Doctor living remotely had to contact ICICI for finding out about any specific group to be visited.

We were told that, I need to pay the consultation charges and if it is more than deductible of $100.00, need to file for Claim.
I was ready for that but asked about any diagnostic tests prescribed, they had suggested the same pay and claim policy.
I argued with them about policy details and the ICICI representative was suggesting the same.
Later, I was told to visit a Doctor and send them Prescription for tests so that they would pre-approval.
At this point , I was pretty sure nothing is going to work out with this policy and it is a scam.
But still sent them all the test details.
ICICI never responded even after 2 weeks and kept on dragging requesting the same documents over and over.
Most ridiculous part was they operate without a Toll Free number and every time we need to keep on updating every representative.
Thank god with advise from my family Doctor, I sent my parents within a week.
After reaching India, my father was undergoing tests and one day suddenly developed severe Heart stroke and was rushed to hospital and got operated.
He is safe and stable now and is recovering.
Meanwhile, ICICI did come back after 4 weeks with a pre-approval, with $ 800.00 limit.
They dont have any pre-negotiated rates with any hospital in USA.
I asked how about United Health Care tie up.
They answered that United Health Care is a payment agency for ICICI in USA.

To put Long story short
Later, I came to know that most of my friends had same kind of issues with all the Insurance company's based out of India and some of UK and US.
So fellow immigrants beware of these Insurance Companies.
Iam not sure if any other insurance company, which fulfills their promises made for Visitors.
If so, please share.

Iam filig a case in Consumer court and trying to take it to media attention back home.
Infact, even it is not immigration related issue, thought of sharing with all the immigrants
as most of us do face this kind of issues.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:05 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/21/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
shivarajan has a reputation beyond repute shivarajan has a reputation beyond repute shivarajan has a reputation beyond repute shivarajan has a reputation beyond repute shivarajan has a reputation beyond repute shivarajan has a reputation beyond repute shivarajan has a reputation beyond repute shivarajan has a reputation beyond repute shivarajan has a reputation beyond repute shivarajan has a reputation beyond repute shivarajan has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation

The most stupid thing to do is to take ANY kind of medical insurance from India. It won't work --even if it's from a branded player.

Also don't get stuck with sites (desi consulting like websites) who sell cheap medical coverage for visitors and considers everything as pre-existing conditions once a claim comes, and re-opens same with different names if their names gets dirty in online forums)

My suggestion is visit ur state medical insurance commissioners website, get all the providers in ur state, call each of them (esp. once which are like group health schemes). U may be able to able one, I was able to get for my parent(s) from ghc (it was a calamity coverage, works for me since it included almost a free doctor visit once a month or something --if we go to ghc's hospital)

The only catch is we need to call ssa office and get a letter stating that the person (parent here) is not covered in medicare part a & b (that's required for the insurance company to issue coverage without ssn)

gud luck!

Old 07-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
freeindia is just really nice freeindia is just really nice freeindia is just really nice freeindia is just really nice freeindia is just really nice

Thanks for your suggestion.
By the way, I hope you have not been to hospital for any emergency treatment for your parents.
Did hospital authorities provide any written document about the services ( tests/treatment)
elgible under the policy your parents are covered.
Could you eloborate on the type of policy obtained from the insurer.

Thanks in advance for information

Old 07-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2008
Compare
sugaur is a splendid one to behold sugaur is a splendid one to behold sugaur is a splendid one to behold sugaur is a splendid one to behold sugaur is a splendid one to behold sugaur is a splendid one to behold

What kind of treatment does your dad need?
I would suggest that if it is not very rare and complicated, best option would be to get it taken care of in India. It will be cheaper and some Indian hospitals are as good if not better than US.
Regarding health coverage during visit to US. Remember, the idea is to have insurance for emergency unforseen conditions like fracture/ dog bite/ etc, not for prexisting conditions.
Only 1-2 health insurances will cover "acute exacerbation" of pre existing condition upto 10000 to 15000 dollars.
My father had chest pains on his vistit and in the ER was diagnosed with angina. He required an angiogram and stent placement followed by an IV drug for 6 hours. He stayed in the hospital for 12 hours. I got a bill of 72,000 dollars from the hospital, 1000 dollars from the ER physician, 50 dollars for X ray, 500 dollars for labs and 3500 dollars from the cardiologist. His travel insurance paid 15,000 dollars and hopital billed us for the remainder.

Last edited by sugaur; 07-05-2009 at 10:48 AM.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
desi485 has a reputation beyond repute desi485 has a reputation beyond repute desi485 has a reputation beyond repute desi485 has a reputation beyond repute desi485 has a reputation beyond repute desi485 has a reputation beyond repute desi485 has a reputation beyond repute desi485 has a reputation beyond repute desi485 has a reputation beyond repute desi485 has a reputation beyond repute desi485 has a reputation beyond repute
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeindia View Post
IV is really a great platform for immigration and immigrant related issues.
Hats off to all the founders and members for their contributions.

I want to let everyone know about the scam(s) being run by most of the Medical Insurance Company's especially for parents holding Visitor Visa's.

My parents visited US 3 months back and I have done good amount of research and after inquiring about various plan details got medical insurance from ICICI.
My parents paid around $1400.00 for 6 months.

The policy's name it self mentions Cash Less claim policy meaning
no payments/approvals required at the time of service and their US tie up United Health Care would take care of all the charges.

Unfortunately, my father had developed Heart Symptoms and on the advise of a family Doctor living remotely had to contact ICICI for finding out about any specific group to be visited.

We were told that, I need to pay the consultation charges and if it is more than deductible of $100.00, need to file for Claim.
I was ready for that but asked about any diagnostic tests prescribed, they had suggested the same pay and claim policy.
I argued with them about policy details and the ICICI representative was suggesting the same.
Later, I was told to visit a Doctor and send them Prescription for tests so that they would pre-approval.
At this point , I was pretty sure nothing is going to work out with this policy and it is a scam.
But still sent them all the test details.
ICICI never responded even after 2 weeks and kept on dragging requesting the same documents over and over.
Most ridiculous part was they operate without a Toll Free number and every time we need to keep on updating every representative.
Thank god with advise from my family Doctor, I sent my parents within a week.
After reaching India, my father was undergoing tests and one day suddenly developed severe Heart stroke and was rushed to hospital and got operated.
He is safe and stable now and is recovering.
Meanwhile, ICICI did come back after 4 weeks with a pre-approval, with $ 800.00 limit.
They dont have any pre-negotiated rates with any hospital in USA.
I asked how about United Health Care tie up.
They answered that United Health Care is a payment agency for ICICI in USA.

To put Long story short
Later, I came to know that most of my friends had same kind of issues with all the Insurance company's based out of India and some of UK and US.
So fellow immigrants beware of these Insurance Companies.
Iam not sure if any other insurance company, which fulfills their promises made for Visitors.
If so, please share.

Iam filig a case in Consumer court and trying to take it to media attention back home.
Infact, even it is not immigration related issue, thought of sharing with all the immigrants
as most of us do face this kind of issues.
came across this thread. Many thanks for sharing your experience with rest of us. Just curious if consumer court took any decision regarding ICICI?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05-15-2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05-18-2006
Compare
mihird is on a distinguished road
Default I have had a good experience with ICICI-Lombard..

Parents came with insurance issued by ICICI-Lombard - Lombard is a Canadian company that has partnered with ICICI - maybe its different now.

Mom had an accidental fall in the kitched and dislocated her shoulder. Insurance paid for everything including paramedic trip & orthopedic surgeon.

Policy had $0 deductible...and had cost about Rs 13,000/parent for 3 months...
I had no problems dealing with the insurance company..

Here's the link...guess, they are still in business..
http://www.icicilombard.com/app/ilom...insurance.aspx

Old 01-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
kannan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivarajan View Post
The most stupid thing to do is to take ANY kind of medical insurance from India. It won't work --even if it's from a branded player.

Also don't get stuck with sites (desi consulting like websites) who sell cheap medical coverage for visitors and considers everything as pre-existing conditions once a claim comes, and re-opens same with different names if their names gets dirty in online forums)

My suggestion is visit ur state medical insurance commissioners website, get all the providers in ur state, call each of them (esp. once which are like group health schemes). U may be able to able one, I was able to get for my parent(s) from ghc (it was a calamity coverage, works for me since it included almost a free doctor visit once a month or something --if we go to ghc's hospital)

The only catch is we need to call ssa office and get a letter stating that the person (parent here) is not covered in medicare part a & b (that's required for the insurance company to issue coverage without ssn)

gud luck!

I would like to know any insurance company or free services in Northern CA.This is for my mom who is in Visitor visa but soon going to apply GC for her through my sister.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
ca_immigrant has a reputation beyond repute ca_immigrant has a reputation beyond repute ca_immigrant has a reputation beyond repute ca_immigrant has a reputation beyond repute ca_immigrant has a reputation beyond repute ca_immigrant has a reputation beyond repute ca_immigrant has a reputation beyond repute ca_immigrant has a reputation beyond repute ca_immigrant has a reputation beyond repute ca_immigrant has a reputation beyond repute ca_immigrant has a reputation beyond repute
Default very scary situation

hmm...

I have my parents and inlaws visit a couple of times in the last 8 years...

5 times in total...every time I took insurance from https://www..com/

the first time I took limited insurance then after that I always went for comprehensive..

I have so far totalling all visits paid them 4 to 500 $ I bleieve but have never claimed anything (hope I never have to)

but again...after reading many threads like these...I doubt if any insurance is of help ?

I wonder if what shivarajan has suggested above might be the best...

shivarajan,
Can you tell us the approximate cost for this insurance ?

Old 01-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Compare
vin13 has a reputation beyond repute vin13 has a reputation beyond repute vin13 has a reputation beyond repute vin13 has a reputation beyond repute vin13 has a reputation beyond repute vin13 has a reputation beyond repute vin13 has a reputation beyond repute vin13 has a reputation beyond repute vin13 has a reputation beyond repute vin13 has a reputation beyond repute vin13 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihird View Post
Parents came with insurance issued by ICICI-Lombard - Lombard is a Canadian company that has partnered with ICICI - maybe its different now.

Mom had an accidental fall in the kitched and dislocated her shoulder. Insurance paid for everything including paramedic trip & orthopedic surgeon.

Policy had $0 deductible...and had cost about Rs 13,000/parent for 3 months...
I had no problems dealing with the insurance company..

Here's the link...guess, they are still in business..
Overseas Travel Insurance Policy Online Plans For Senior Citizen – ICICI Lombard
This was my experience with ICICI-Lombard about 3 years ago. My father was admitted to the emergency. When i called ICICI-Lombard, they mentioned that we had to pay all the expenses to the hospital. Submit all the receipts to the ICICI-Lobard office in India (when you return). They will evaluate and let you know what can be reimbursed.

2 issues with this situation.

1) You need to pay the bills and hope insurance will reimburse.
2) ICICI-Lombard doesnot have any negotiated price for the services. As we all know if the insuarance company is not involved in the rates, the hospitals bill you 2-3 times higher.

General advice - Do not buy health insurance in your home country. Find a local agent and make sure the hospital can bill the insurance company direct and you pay only the deductables.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/30/2011
Compare
thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute

interesting but scary discussion. For these cases health insurance in canada is much better. I remember one of my friend's motherinlaw from africa on a visit developed extremely high blood preasure and she was rushed to the ER. If I remember correctly the total expense for 4-5 days turned out less than $1500.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-07
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Compare
BPforGC has much to be proud of BPforGC has much to be proud of BPforGC has much to be proud of BPforGC has much to be proud of BPforGC has much to be proud of BPforGC has much to be proud of BPforGC has much to be proud of BPforGC has much to be proud of BPforGC has much to be proud of
Default Health treatment for parents

Get over with it. I work in healthcare industry and almost everything you get in US is available in corporate hospitals in India and costs less. Say, Apollo or Breachcandy, you get same quality and expertise. Of course, you have to pay pretty quickly in India.

Second, NEVER ever sign on the admission forms when you take your parents to the hospital. Let them sign, either your mom or dad. Even if they have skimpy insurance from India, thats OK. Let them sign. If it is an emergency, as with my uncle, we did not sign while he is being admitted. My aunt signed the papers. We were saved from Bankruptcy because of that. Had we singed, the hospital would have come after us for bills which totaled $150,000 for 12 days of hospital stay. They still send bills to India and to the insurance company in India, but atleast we are not in soup. My uncle responded saying that he could afford $15 monthly payments from his pension and since his income counts below the poverty line, they stopped sending the bills (incidentally, they cashed the first $15 draft he sent them from India....)

In many states, if your income is below the poverty line (it will be if we convert their pensions into dollars, say 500 dollars a month is the income), they cannot force you to pay and hospitals have to eat the bill as indigent payers, which we also call as "uncollectables".

Except for minor non-prexisiting conditions, the travel insurance is pretty much useless.
Unless you are a big 'neta' sponsored by the government or Karorpathi, forget about affording expensive US healthcare out of pocket. Its not worth it.

Last edited by BPforGC; 01-12-2010 at 03:54 PM.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.