Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Visitor and business visa
Click to log in with Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 06:48 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
chiranth is on a distinguished road

Try nriol.net good quality insurance and there is a lot of information on the website about different policies and what is covered so you can be sure you know what you are getting. It is best to buy visitors insurance from a US insurer, not an Indian insurer, to avoid problems when claiming or when visiting healthcare practitioners in the US.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2014, 12:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
chakrakr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranth View Post
Try nriol.net good quality insurance and there is a lot of information on the website about different policies and what is covered so you can be sure you know what you are getting. It is best to buy visitors insurance from a US insurer, not an Indian insurer, to avoid problems when claiming or when visiting healthcare practitioners in the US.
Do you know if there are any "US insurer" selling Visitors Insurance ? "Insurer" actually means underwriter who will ultimately pay your claim. Most of the Major Visitors Insurance sold as "US Insurance company" (like Patriot America, Atlas etc) are underwritten by either a UK based company (Lloyds) or a Stockholm based company (Sirius).

These companies are NOT regulated by the Department of Insurance in any US state and if they do not pay claim, DOI cannot help at all. The brokers selling these products make a lot of false claim like "you can contact insurance regulatory authority in US" . Technically they are correct -- "you can contact" but you can contact about any company on earth and they will say they cannot help because these are foreign based "surplus line insurance " which are NOT regulated by Department of Insurance.

The brokers will also say that they will help --- but remember they are not the one who is going to pay your claims --- the claims are paid by underwriter who are NOT in US.

Do your research before you buy a visitors insurance -- be it from US or India , and do not go by the sweet talk of these brokers (or the false reviews in their websites). Limited coverage , unlimited coverage all goes down the drain if they do not pay a dime when you are sick . See this post from gcdreamer -- http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/fo...parents-7.html (Medical Insurance for Parents)

Old 04-14-2014, 09:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
pappupager is on a distinguished road

I checked with couple of US based brokers and they say that the claims will be solely handled by the US based administrator and not by the insurer. They said that the insurer is not all involved in handling the claim or any day to day activity. US administrator is the one that decides whether the claim will be paid or rejected.

Could you please confirm whether that is true or not?

Did you have any experience with filing a claim with the "US based company"? Did you deal with the US based administrator or did you deal with the foreign based insurer? Please help us if you have prior experience about it.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

An insurance is a Contract between you and the insurance underwriter. No matter where the person whom you are talking to sits, no matter whom you are sending your papers, the contract holder is NOT in US and the Administrator is just a front office of the Underwriter which dances to the tune of Underwriter. The Administrator has ZERO obligation to pay you ... nor can you sue the Administrator.
Again -- for a Insurance policy, the Underwriter is the one who is promising to pay your claims.

If the Broker is saying that the Administrator is obligated per the contract ask him to show it in the policy.

The insurance company is "surplus line insurer" and is NOT regulated by Department of Insurance of any state . Unlike true US based insurance companies, DOI will not take any action if you complaint against these insurance companies. (The brokers lie when they say you can complaint with Insurance Regulatory Authority in US ). Your only resort is going to court which is usually in Indiana or NY (per most insurance companies policy wording).

Indian insurance companies are no saint. But they are subject to Government Regulations in India . Insurance Ombudsman is very effective in India .

Most of the brokers not only lie in their websites but also create fake IDs to post in different forums.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:16 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappupager View Post

Did you have any experience with filing a claim with the "US based company"? Did you deal with the US based administrator or did you deal with the foreign based insurer? Please help us if you have prior experience about it.
I have tonns of experience filing claims with "US based company" . I have coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield and never had a problem with claims.

However, I suspect you are asking about the FAKE US Based Companies who are the underwriters of most of these travel insurance. They are NOT US Based. Yes, I do have experience with that too. This was for a slip and fall case of the visitor. Insurance underwriter was a company of London. The Administrator was just sitting on the claim for almost 9 months. Everytime I questioned, they had one or the other excuse from lost documents to we are waiting for the other insurance (liable companies insurance since it was slip and fall) to pay . I have sumitted subrogation but no use. Eventually I had to threaten to go to court (actually had to send an Attorney's letter) to get the pay. After all I paid the premium , it is not my lookout if they can collect from the liable party.

Unless you are just a fake avatar of one of these insurance broker , be careful when you buy any insurance and ready the policy wording .... not some sweet talk of broker.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:55 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
pappupager is on a distinguished road

Does Blue Cross Blue Shield provide visitors insurance? I could not find any. If you know they provide it, please provide the details.

For your visitors insurance claim, who did you deal with? Administrator in the US? Or underwriter in London? That was my original question which you have not answered.

Where did the person fall?

Old 04-15-2014, 09:55 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield provide visitors insurance? I could not find any. If you know they provide it, please provide the details.

For your visitors insurance claim, who did you deal with? Administrator in the US? Or underwriter in London? That was my original question which you have not answered.

So my guess was right You are that broker using yet another fake ID . Welcome NK.

First, being from insurance industry , you know better that BCBS does not provide Visitors Insurance. But your question was "Did you have any experience with filing a claim with the "US based company"? " Unfortunately, I could not find any "US based company" as underwriter of Visitors Insurance . Most what I see are Europe based. So you should reform your question -- "Do I have experience filing claim with a Foreign based company which is sold by US based Broker " ? Probably you wanted to shield the difference

Coming to whom I dealt with --- I sent my claims to a US based TPA . Finaly sent the Attorney letter to a Address mentioned in the policy document which was in US.
However, Are yuo suggesting all the Visitors Insurance buyres need to go through an expensive Attorney ?
But again, most Indian companies too have such TPAs in foreign country -- be it UHC or Mercury or numerous others.

Again -- not matter how much you try to shield , Underwriter is the ONLY person liable to pay yoru claim. Administrator is NOT on hook to pay the claim. If you claim other way, show me policy wordings which say Administrator is legally responsible to pay the claim.

BTW, when you show that AM Best to gullible customers, do you show the AM Best rating of Administrator OR that of the Underwriter?

I think it is much cheaper and easier to file a complaint to DOI (Oh! these are NOT regulated by DOI) OR in absence to Insurance Ombudsman in India. In both cases, you need not pay any fee and the results are quick

Old 04-15-2014, 01:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

BTW, here are some of the EXACT policy wordings from a popular (!) Visitor s insurance sold by most brokers in US --

"Correspondent Not Insurer: The correspondent is not an insurer hereunder and neither is nor shall be liable for any loss or claim whatsoever. The Insurers hereunder are those underwriters at Lloyd's London whose syndicate number can be ascertained ...."

There goes the claim that US based Administrators will pay the claim.

"Utilizing the network does not guarantee benefits or that the treating facility will bill Seven Corners direct"

There goes the tall claims about cashless benefit.

All, Insurance is a contract between the Insurer (Underwriter who is sitting in London ) and the Insured (our parents who are visiting). If there is a dispute , the insured will need to file a law suit against the Insurer . Do you think our parents will be in US forever (or will USCIS allow them to stay forever) or travelling back and forth following the court case ?

Old 04-15-2014, 02:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:

Forgot to answer this. The person fell in a store (apparently store negligence). We signed and submitted letter of subrogation immediately but the Administrator was singing oh well we will collect from them and then pay your hospital who cares if the hospital sends bill to collection.

Typically, if I have paid premium to an insurance company, the company is liable to pay my Doctor irrespective of if they can collect from the other party

Old 04-15-2014, 05:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/16/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/16/2007
Compare
archie116 has a spectacular aura about archie116 has a spectacular aura about

I had a very bad experience with Patriot policy. It is so called "Comprehensive" policy but the way it is worded the company can deny almost all claims citing "Pre existing condition" clause.
My FIL had some hospitalization & the insurance company (IMG) did not pay a dime. So beware of such policies & do your research. I think if the insurance is not going to pay anything then saving the policy premium might be a better idea.

Thanks