Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Visitor and business visa
Click to log in with Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/17/2007
Compare
minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default right vs reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKR View Post
I think you took his post out of context. optimystic is right to some extent.

Take my case, for both my parents and to my wife’s mom, our child was the first grand child. We did not want them to miss the moment. We got them here, not for baby sitting, not for child care… They went back without the regrets of not being able to see the new born and with wonderful memories they can cherish for the rest of their lives. It would have been easy for me to hire a nanny here than to sponsor three people’s visit, but I am glad I did. IO’s should understand this.

I do not approve of bringing a maid from India to take care of kids, as red-dog said there are day cares, nannies and good church schools here for that
I am agreeing with your reasoning on why you brought your parents and in-laws. For me it is easy to understand your reasons given that I am also from India and familiar with the relationship culture.
I am not agreeing with your statement "IOs should understand that". Parents/Inlaws need to understand the reality and adjust their answers to be politically correct that would get the job done. The IO is not going to say " Wow that's so nice. You have a very good family bonding." and give them the Visa. He will reject them. I am not saying he is right. But that is the reality.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2008, 06:15 PM
Priority Date
:
May-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/27/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/29/2007
Compare
optimystic has a reputation beyond repute optimystic has a reputation beyond repute optimystic has a reputation beyond repute optimystic has a reputation beyond repute optimystic has a reputation beyond repute optimystic has a reputation beyond repute optimystic has a reputation beyond repute optimystic has a reputation beyond repute optimystic has a reputation beyond repute optimystic has a reputation beyond repute optimystic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimalist View Post
I am agreeing with your reasoning on why you brought your parents and in-laws. For me it is easy to understand your reasons given that I am also from India and familiar with the relationship culture.
I am not agreeing with your statement "IOs should understand that". Parents/Inlaws need to understand the reality and adjust their answers to be politically correct that would get the job done. The IO is not going to say " Wow that's so nice. You have a very good family bonding." and give them the Visa. He will reject them. I am not saying he is right. But that is the reality.
I think its a communication issue from our side and also to a large extent the insensitivity and prejudiced attitude towards Indians by IO officers in Indian consulates. And perception problems too.

Our parents need to communicate clearly that they want to visit because they want to be present during delivery of their daughter and to emotionally support their daughter thru labor and bond with their grand child. Say exactly that and nothing else. No mention of 'help' of any sort. I think this would be the closest politically correct way of describing the true (in atleast 75% cases) reason for visit.

In my opinion , whatever culture you are in, American, European, Indian or other Asian culture, I am assuming this would be interpreted as a valid enough reason, with no other strings attached, "for a mother to visit her daughter" . If the IO's fail to see it that way, and believe "vacationing" is a more valid reason, then there is a fundamental problem with their culture/upbringing/attitude. The problem is most of our parents are not so eloquent/shrewd nor do they have the politically correct tongue to express this properly. And they blurt out 'help'.

And despite this political correctness we still don't know if the IO would treat this as a valid justification for "Visitor Visa" . They are conditioned to generalize a whole culture based on the attitudes of a few non-genuine applicants that they may have encountered.

But alas, I don't think none of us here are brave enough to ask our parents to try it out next time . So we will just have to continue to tell what "they want to hear" What a pity and stupidity!
FP - 2007 Sep
AP - 2007 Dec
FBI Namecheck -- ?? (How to find out?)
FP -- Cleared ?? (How to find out?)

Last edited by optimystic; 10-24-2008 at 06:18 PM.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2007
Compare
surabhi is a splendid one to behold surabhi is a splendid one to behold surabhi is a splendid one to behold surabhi is a splendid one to behold surabhi is a splendid one to behold surabhi is a splendid one to behold surabhi is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by here_d View Post
I was really afraid to ask this question as people here don't like different type of question, then also i thought to take a chance.
If you are a working couple with kids, you know the value of having a maid here.
So I am planning to get a maid from india.
Can she apply for b1 visa (with sponsorship letter from me).
Can I specify the actual reason(help with child care) for visa or I just have to mention "visiting purpose"??
I am fine with her traveling to india every 6 months.
I came here on H1 and working on EAD(dependent with 485 pending).
Thanks in advance.
Since no one actually provided the answer, I will attempt.

What you are looking for is Au Pair from India. This is the program available to get nannys for a period of 12 months, extensible up to 24 months. This may or may not be practical to you since there are several conditions to be met.

Ofcourse I am not talking from experience. Just read about this in past and remembered.

Google for Au pair India and look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Au_pair

Old 10-24-2008, 06:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of

My being on H1 has nothing to do with you tryin to bring a Nanny, I am not on a Nanny visa or am I? Can i be your nanny at $65 an hour? jeez.
If you are trying to bring a Nanny to pay her $1000 a month plus airfare and 6 months of vacation and admit her to a local college for education and groundwork with your lawyer to complete the process, go ahead and do it.
I would still say it would be illegal. or you can try to ger borderline legal.

1) If you want to help that person, sponsor her or her childrens education. You are not helping anyone by sponsoring an underpaid worker. How would you feel, if your employer asks you to work for $20K a year just cos you did not have any other opportunity?
2) Sponsor the kid, do some good work. without exploitation.
3) If you want someone to understand your culture, you belong where your culture belongs, right in the very mother-land where you come from, cultures dont get exported out.
4) What you are tryin to do is illegal too, more illegal than the so called illegal you are talking about.

India is a country of a billion people, and you are trying to tell me the story of a downtrodden or a poor soul. and what are you trying to do to help?
Exploit the situation.

If your kid gets sent back from the day-care bcos he sneezes, hire a nanny.
She will take care of the kid at home, and believe me, nannies do moderate house work too, alojng with taking care of the sneezing kid, also does dishes, does the laundry and stuff.

Let me introduce you to a term called PPP(purchasing power parity) google it and see why you should not expect to earn something and spend something else.

Believe me, many of us are in the same situation as you are and everyone of us know of some poor person in india who is deperately in need. And we want a solution too, but the one you want, is wrong..

Quote:
Oh come on!!!
When you are working on H1 here instead of india because you can earn better and when you are taking away job from american citizen....how can you argue like this?
I have many reasons for bringing nanny here....
1) I want a person who is making 100 $ per month to earn more (atleast 1000 $ per month ...right??)

2) If she would come here, she can support her family and some day her boy can come here for study or something....

3) I want somebody who understands my culture and the way i want to raise my kid.

4) I can get somebody from new jersy but mostly i would get illegal migrant...which i am not comfortable with.

Apart from my personal reasons, one simple economic rule, if you can get cheap labor, you don't want to spend more....that's why cos hiring you instead of American citizen,and outsourcing working great....

I really like your theory of "husband with cribbing wife", but unfortunately i m the wife, who is working 40+ hrs with fortune 500 company and planning to start her own company, whose husband keeps travelling (consulting) as he cann't change his job until GC.
With all odds working against me, I want peace of mind that my kid is in the safe hand, He is not sent back from certified day care only because he is sick...

And if i tell the story of the femal whom I wants to bring here....you would start crying...:-)....

Anyways,
Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Last edited by reddog; 10-24-2008 at 07:09 PM.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Compare
krishna.ahd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Oh come on!!!
When you are working on H1 here instead of india because you can earn better and when you are taking away job from american citizen....how can you argue like this?
1) I want a person who is making 100 $ per month to earn more (atleast 1000 $ per month ...right??)
2) If she would come here, she can support her family and some day her boy can come here for study or something....
3) I want somebody who understands my culture and the way i want to raise my kid.
4) I can get somebody from new jersy but mostly i would get illegal migrant...which i am not comfortable with.

Apart from my personal reasons, one simple economic rule, if you can get cheap labor, you don't want to spend more....that's why cos hiring you instead of American citizen,and outsourcing working great....

I really like your theory of "husband with cribbing wife", but unfortunately i m the wife, who is working 40+ hrs with fortune 500 company and planning to start her own company, whose husband keeps travelling (consulting) as he cann't change his job until GC.
With all odds working against me, I want peace of mind that my kid is in the safe hand, He is not sent back from certified day care only because he is sick...

And if i tell the story of the femal whom I wants to bring here....you would start crying...:-)....

Anyways,
Atleast this is much better thinking/planning compare to what i have seen .

I have seen few cases ,
One where both (husband and wife ) working here and sent the 6 months old kid to back india with parents and was boasting that they will send $1000 per year ( yes per year)
Second one - goes like this - I heard Husband saying, his wife can not work here and take care of the kid , so they deicded to leave my daughter ( just one year old ) in india.

I cursed this materealistic world.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Compare
krishna.ahd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramba View Post
Here is a good material to read..If someone plan to do, I am also interested.

http://www.lexisnexis.com/practicear...dfs/web885.pdf
Excellent Link , thanks ( BTW I am not planning to use the info )

Old 10-24-2008, 07:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
kart2007 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by surabhi View Post

What you are looking for is Au Pair from India. This is the program available to get nannys for a period of 12 months, extensible up to 24 months. This may or may not be practical to you since there are several conditions to be met.

Ofcourse I am not talking from experience. Just read about this in past and remembered.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. However if one pays $5700 to the agency isnt it better to just hire someone here? Probably by using the agency and $100 pm its still cheaper when you see this across 2 years.

Thanks for the info.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
suriajay12 is infamous around these parts suriajay12 is infamous around these parts suriajay12 is infamous around these parts suriajay12 is infamous around these parts suriajay12 is infamous around these parts suriajay12 is infamous around these parts suriajay12 is infamous around these parts suriajay12 is infamous around these parts suriajay12 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Oh come on!!!
Please dont say we are taking away jobs from others. For any reason.

But lets not overdo it. I wish the population be under control and not just do things for eonomic reasons all the time.

Anyways,
I do see your side too, still local help is what you must consider. I know how things will be in similar cases in India, but lets not re-create everything here. I may want to do somehting elsem, he may want do one other things,, Finally where do we go.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2000
Chargeability
:
Brazil
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2000
Compare
Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by surabhi View Post

Au pair sponsership is available only to USC or LPR only not for H1 or AOS. One has to consider this.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/20/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/28/2007
Compare
asanghi is a jewel in the rough asanghi is a jewel in the rough asanghi is a jewel in the rough asanghi is a jewel in the rough
Default Really a dog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog View Post
My being on H1 has nothing to do with you tryin to bring a Nanny, I am not on a Nanny visa or am I? Can i be your nanny at $65 an hour? jeez.
If you are trying to bring a Nanny to pay her $1000 a month plus airfare and 6 months of vacation and admit her to a local college for education and groundwork with your lawyer to complete the process, go ahead and do it.

1) If you want to help that person, sponsor her or her childrens education. You are not helping anyone by sponsoring an underpaid worker. How would you feel, if your employer asks you to work for $20K a year just cos you did not have any other opportunity?
3) If you want someone to understand your culture, you belong where your culture belongs, right in the very mother-land where you come from, cultures dont get exported out.
4) What you are tryin to do is illegal too, more illegal than the so called illegal you are talking about.

India is a country of a billion people, and you are trying to tell me the story of a downtrodden or a poor soul. and what are you trying to do to help?
Exploit the situation.

She will take care of the kid at home, and believe me, nannies do moderate house work too, alojng with taking care of the sneezing kid, also does dishes, does the laundry and stuff.

Let me introduce you to a term called PPP(purchasing power parity) google it and see why you should not expect to earn something and spend something else.

Believe me, many of us are in the same situation as you are and everyone of us know of some poor person in india who is deperately in need. And we want a solution too, but the one you want, is wrong..
Man you really are a rabid dog.

Keep making assumptions about others and keep barking on them. Good job.
Partial Sponsor of a ticket to DC Rally

PD: June 2002
I-485 Filed: June 29th 2007

Old 10-24-2008, 08:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
ruchigup will become famous soon enough ruchigup will become famous soon enough

You can get help from legal Indian immigrant here in US. I know a friend in San Francsico making use of that help. Try checking on Sulekha or Rediff.

A friend in SFO has three kids and they hired stay home Indian nanny and they pay her 1500pm plus food and accomodation. You can negotiate for less money if you are not getting all house chores done from her and have 1 child.

Sulkeha is good place to start.
I-485 Approved 9/15 & received cards 9/21 !!!

Old 10-24-2008, 11:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/19/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/03/2011
Compare
desighee is a jewel in the rough desighee is a jewel in the rough desighee is a jewel in the rough desighee is a jewel in the rough

Common man...
she is just trying to do what most desi employers do to their indian employees in this country, suck the blood out of them and expect a thank you.It is also quite ironical to see how human beings provide a charity face to the exploitation they do of the people and pat themselves for helping out those in need.Beleive me in their own state of mind they might be 100% sincere in their effort.
On a second thougt if this nanny in question is a downtrodden lady may be making 10-20rs /day in India,it could be a better deal for her.Atleast she could get an a/c home to live and save a couple of bucks,
From Indian standards it could be a blessing in disguise for her, but from American standards ,and from shear morality point of view it is
labor rights violation.For chartity purposes go to worldvision.org and contribute for poor children

[

QUOTE=reddog;299070]My being on H1 has nothing to do with you tryin to bring a Nanny, I am not on a Nanny visa or am I? Can i be your nanny at $65 an hour? jeez.

Exploit the situation.

Believe me, many of us are in the same situation as you are and everyone of us know of some poor person in india who is deperately in need. And we want a solution too, but the one you want, is wrong..[/quote]

Old 10-24-2008, 11:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
kopra has a reputation beyond repute kopra has a reputation beyond repute kopra has a reputation beyond repute kopra has a reputation beyond repute kopra has a reputation beyond repute kopra has a reputation beyond repute kopra has a reputation beyond repute kopra has a reputation beyond repute kopra has a reputation beyond repute kopra has a reputation beyond repute kopra has a reputation beyond repute
Default just kidding

you can try with some walstreet CEO's or even high profile financial brokers. They may be out looking for jobs now in this market

Quote:
I was really afraid to ask this question as people here don't like different type of question, then also i thought to take a chance.
If you are a working couple with kids, you know the value of having a maid here.
Can I specify the actual reason(help with child care) for visa or I just have to mention "visiting purpose"??
Thanks in advance.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:01 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2007
Compare
here_d can only hope to improve
Default where is exploitation....??

Seriously, I didn' have any idea that i would have to justify myself for a very simple question upto this extent.

Anyways,
I understand all ur concerns about exploitation and underpay, but only because you assumed most part of the situation and you already have prejudiced view about most indian, that's why you think this way.

1) If I pay her 1000$ per month+insurance+ticket, i think it would be the same amount i pay here. ..1200+. So no underpay. Then why would i want somebody from india??..because I m not able to find right person here.
When you talk to a nanny here, they don't even ask name of the kid , they only negotiate duties, salary etc.
Recently I had bad exp with last nanny, I am in confusion whether to complain somewhere or not. I am pretty sure you guys would have specific judgments and questions about that as well, and i would definitely ask for your opinions...:-)
After two months of various trials, I am tried.
2) Where is exploitation comes in the picture?? I am almost alone at home with my kid...I eat salad, brown bread/ rice. So hardly any cooking. We have washing machine and dish washer....but i think i would get a company and would feel safer staying alone.
3) I don't want to do it as a charity ofcourse, but whenever i visit india, they are asking for ways to come here.....and for a while i though that would solve a problem ....and believe me i had no idea that what a terrible monster I am....
I think here most of the people here want to convert EB3-EB2 or do labor substitution...or trying hard to get bro/sis here....and doing all possible illegal stuff to get GC........but for they have great advices and moral policies for other people

I think reddog said something like "he hates labor in indian society.." I am really amazed because i love system there
My mom has a maid from last 18 years, she get paid 30 $ per month (my father earns around 300 $ ...so that makes sense)
My mom buys clothes for her when she buys for herself in diwali. My father manages books for maid's kids. And she would advise me all the time as my mother does....
When i visit india, i get gift for her as well...And all this is not charity, because my parents are not rich enough for charity...but it's the indian societ where people give to others from whatever small amount they have....without any notion of charity....
I wish I can build something similar here.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog View Post

Exploit the situation.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:37 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/27/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/28/2007
Compare
orangutan is a splendid one to behold orangutan is a splendid one to behold orangutan is a splendid one to behold orangutan is a splendid one to behold orangutan is a splendid one to behold orangutan is a splendid one to behold orangutan is a splendid one to behold orangutan is a splendid one to behold

I would suggest you check with Mahender Sabhani
(http://www.nriinternet.com/NRI_Discr...nani/index.htm)

Quote:
Thanks in advance.