Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Visitor and business visa
Click to log in with Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
swaraj is on a distinguished road
Default Applying new visitor visa before expiry of current visa

My friend has a multiple entry visitor visa for US which is valid till April 2009. However he has to visit in March 2009 and stay till around June 2009.
Can someone please tell if the immigration officer during port of entry will be able to grant him stay of the usual 6 months on current visa even though it is expiring?
Or if not, whether he can apply for new visitor visa stamping before expiry of the current one?
Thanks for your advice
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
desi485 has a reputation beyond repute desi485 has a reputation beyond repute desi485 has a reputation beyond repute desi485 has a reputation beyond repute desi485 has a reputation beyond repute desi485 has a reputation beyond repute desi485 has a reputation beyond repute desi485 has a reputation beyond repute desi485 has a reputation beyond repute desi485 has a reputation beyond repute desi485 has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation transit visa issues

I don't know the answer and would be interested to know, however in case if your friend flys via destinations like UK then he might face issues while going back. If the current US visa stamp is expired for an indian citizen, transit visa is needed. So keep that too in mind.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

desi485, thanks for the tip.
I found this link which mentions that one can apply for a new visa before expiry of current one:
http://www.usembassy-mexico.gov/eng/evisas_faqs.html#11

But it is for US embassy in Mexico, and there is no mention if there is minimum time before expiration date. Will it apply for US embassy in Delhi too?

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Compare
spaceguy has a reputation beyond repute spaceguy has a reputation beyond repute spaceguy has a reputation beyond repute spaceguy has a reputation beyond repute spaceguy has a reputation beyond repute spaceguy has a reputation beyond repute spaceguy has a reputation beyond repute spaceguy has a reputation beyond repute spaceguy has a reputation beyond repute spaceguy has a reputation beyond repute spaceguy has a reputation beyond repute
Default IO at port of Entry overrides the visa expiry date

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaraj View Post
My friend has a multiple entry visitor visa for US which is valid till April 2009. However he has to visit in March 2009 and stay till around June 2009.
Can someone please tell if the immigration officer during port of entry will be able to grant him stay of the usual 6 months on current visa even though it is expiring?
Or if not, whether he can apply for new visitor visa stamping before expiry of the current one?
Thanks for your advice
As far as I know no need of another visa. The expiry date given by the IO at port of entry over rides the earlier expiry date on visa. One of my friends parent got his visa for 6 months. If the IO gives less than 6 months he can apply for extension how ever

Old 11-11-2008, 03:19 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
ameryki is a jewel in the rough ameryki is a jewel in the rough ameryki is a jewel in the rough
Default don't get a visa

alright fresh from this incident. my mother had 10 yr tourist visa expiring in 3 months after her travel date. in the old days it was recommended that you have at least 6 month visa validity when entering US for immigration purposes. Following that guideline she applied for a new tourist visa of course referring the current one on passport. While during her interview they didn't ask her any questions and told her that its a go. Her application got stuck in security verification which triggered due to the fact that she already had a valid visa. Upon researching further I found out you are safe to travel even a day before your visa is expiring because once you enter the country your stay is based on I-94 validity and not your visa. Hope this helps.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Thanks all for your replies.
Is it correct to assume that immigration officer at port of entry will be able to grant a stay for upto 6 months in I-94 even if the visa is expiring in a few days?

Old 11-12-2008, 04:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/13/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/13/2007
Compare
LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaraj View Post
Thanks all for your replies.
Is it correct to assume that immigration officer at port of entry will be able to grant a stay for upto 6 months in I-94 even if the visa is expiring in a few days?
Yes. Its up to the VO to grant the period of stay. You could enter US even with one day left on the visa. Once you are on US soil, its I-94 that determines the duration of your stay (which has expiry date).

Old 11-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/17/2007
Compare
minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default However it is totally in IO's hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInGCProcess View Post
Yes. Its up to the VO to grant the period of stay. You could enter US even with one day left on the visa. Once you are on US soil, its I-94 that determines the duration of your stay (which has expiry date).
IMHO, that's a big risk as you will never know if the IO just gives for a month, 2 months or 6 months.

There is the risk of getting stuck in security processing if you apply for another visa as shared by another member.

For your friend's case s/he needs to weigh these risks and see which one s/he can take.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute
Default Not all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceguy View Post
As far as I know no need of another visa. The expiry date given by the IO at port of entry over rides the earlier expiry date on visa. One of my friends parent got his visa for 6 months. If the IO gives less than 6 months he can apply for extension how ever
The VO gives I-94 only up to the expiry of visa period. Its rare to see someone gives I-94 beyond the expiry date of visa. There is a risk involved.

When you have 10 years visa, they give 2 months and 4 months many times, I don't expect them giving gifts to visitors.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down You are totally incorrect

Don't give any suggestion on which you don't have any clear knowledge.
"LostInGCProcess" is right in his answer. Visa does not decide duration of stay in US. Duration of a visa is the time when you can enter US legally. But the person's stay in US is decided by I-94 at port of entry. I have seen quite a few people coming here in US with visa expiring within a month but got I-94 for a duration of 3 to 6 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insbaby View Post
The VO gives I-94 only up to the expiry of visa period. Its rare to see someone gives I-94 beyond the expiry date of visa. There is a risk involved.

When you have 10 years visa, they give 2 months and 4 months many times, I don't expect them giving gifts to visitors.