Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Visitor and business visa
Click to log in with Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
hopelessGC is just really nice hopelessGC is just really nice hopelessGC is just really nice hopelessGC is just really nice
Default Visitor visa for niece - supporting documents required

Hi,

I don't know whether this is a very common case or not but I am inviting my niece (17 years) to the US for a visit.

I am pretty sure it is going to be pretty tough at the consulate during the interview since she is at a "college age" i.e. possibility of over staying to change status to F1 and other such suspicion by the immigration officer She has no such intention, but I think it will have to be proven

Considering that, what documents do I need to send her (other than I-134, my visa copy, W2, emp. verification)?

What can she take with her to the consulate? What documents are needed to prove that she is my niece?

Any help is greatly appreciated...also has anyone been in a similar situation?

Thanks!
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/12/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/02/2011
Compare
gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dont apply for her

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopelessGC View Post
Hi,

I don't know whether this is a very common case or not but I am inviting my niece (17 years) to the US for a visit.

I am pretty sure it is going to be pretty tough at the consulate during the interview since she is at a "college age" i.e. possibility of over staying to change status to F1 and other such suspicion by the immigration officer She has no such intention, but I think it will have to be proven

Considering that, what documents do I need to send her (other than I-134, my visa copy, W2, emp. verification)?

What can she take with her to the consulate? What documents are needed to prove that she is my niece?

Any help is greatly appreciated...also has anyone been in a similar situation?

Thanks!
We did same mistake 4-5 years back and she was not given a visa on same statement you maid ... What if you change your status to F1 ? And now she applied for F1 and got rejection with statement that she is not intend to come back. May be VO believe that she is so desparate to go.. that is why tried on B1 / b2 and now on F1 ..

Old 04-13-2009, 02:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
hopelessGC is just really nice hopelessGC is just really nice hopelessGC is just really nice hopelessGC is just really nice
Default What are the options?

gc_on_demand: You said don't apply for her...then how is she supposed to come here? Did you have another alternative in mind that you did not mention?

Old 04-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/12/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/02/2011
Compare
gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute
Default you can try for b1/b2 in middle of college there

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopelessGC View Post
gc_on_demand: You said don't apply for her...then how is she supposed to come here? Did you have another alternative in mind that you did not mention?
you can try for b1/b2 in middle of college there and claim that she will be back as she has to continue study here. on question for f1 she can tell that she is not interested to halt her career here and start from scratch in USA.

OR you can give it a shot... May be you may get it. To prove relation we used RATION CARD we had our names in it. her name , her father ( my bother ) name and my my name... she was not asked for any doc though.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
Default will give it a shot...

I am going to give it a shot. Hopefully the tourist visa restrictions are a little lax during this economic downturn.

Anyone else have any suggestions or similar experience?

Thanks!

Old 04-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-00
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Afghanistan
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
lord_labaku will become famous soon enough

What I have noticed, is that visas are at the discretion of the interviewing officer at the US consulate. More than all the documents (ofcourse documents are important); the impression that the visa applicant makes in body language, answers to questions decide whether visa is granted or not. This was even specifically mentioned by one of consulate officers when I last applied for a H1 renewal in 2007 at the Chennai consulate. He even mentioned....yes its subjective...maybe not even fair...but you are applying for a visa to our country....so you have to play by our rules (it actually didnt sound rude the way he said it).

Also the fact about potential immigrant or not....consulate officers know pretty well that all F1 applicants are potential immigrants....but they just use these other cues such as body language, english ability, the way questions are answered, etc to see if you are a suitable future immigrant.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare

Well said! I will keep that in mind when prepping my niece.