Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Visitor and business visa
Click to log in with Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Tamil_GC is on a distinguished road
Default In-laws B1/B2 Rejection 214 B

My in-laws (Father-in-law, aged 52 and Mother-in-law, aged 47) got their B1/B2 visa rejected on last week at Chennai consulate (Tamil Interview). They got the denial under Section 214-B (lack strong ties to return back). Following are the exact conversation they had with the consular with the help Tamil translator.

Consular: How many children you have?
In-laws: One daughter who got married and lives in USA and an un-married son who is living with us.
Consular: What do you do for living?
In-laws: We running transport service business.
Consular: How much you make?
In-laws: Rs 20,000- 25,000 per month
Consular: How long your son-in-law and daughter there in USA?
In-laws: My son-in-law is there for 9 years and our daughter is there for 6 years since she got married.
Consular: Did you get their green card? – This is the question, my in–laws got confused and do not what to answer as we did not tell them what to answer. They looked at each other for minute and said
In-laws: They applied for it and waiting for the green card – which is correct
Consular: Oh really? They are there for 9 years, still not got their green card?!!!

That’s was the end of the whole conversation they had. Then consular looked at the computer for some time and issued the denial letter and they said your visa is rejected. My in-laws did not say anything else and returned.

I don’t have any clue why they got rejected. They are running successful business; they have their un-married son and aged parent, who are living with them. We had made every effort to have all needed documents. Since I had told them not answer any thing else until they ask, they did not voluntarily give the extra details. They had bank details, property documents, insurance etc. Consular did not care to ask any of those details.

What could be the basis for this rejection? We are planning to apply again with in 2 months? Is it advisable? What can do differently to get the visa in the next time? Can we all the extra details about the strong ties even when they don’t ask next time?

Any advice/help/information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
jasmin45 is infamous around these parts jasmin45 is infamous around these parts jasmin45 is infamous around these parts jasmin45 is infamous around these parts jasmin45 is infamous around these parts jasmin45 is infamous around these parts jasmin45 is infamous around these parts
Default Man!.

Consular interviews turned into a arena for officials to harass the elderly in india and scoff at them. I had to visit India on a medical emergency in the family and had to visit consulate for stamping. Jeez.. They literally reduculed the elderly couple asking questions. Its not the questions itself but the tone with which the questions were asked and the way they were pushed into a helpless condition. Man, when I came out after my interview, I met them over a juice joint and they were extremely discouraged and disappointed. They told me that was 2nd time and they had to go through all this just because they wanted to visit and spend some time with their son who is working here. They left saying that they would never return to try again..

I felt so sad about it and you got to give it to the parents who brave the interogations at consulate and vist the childern.. .Thats parental love my friends.. they don't have to go through this otherwise.. Lot of the officials cannot understand this..

I am sure a lot of you folks would have seen such things happening in consulates..

Old 06-15-2009, 11:56 AM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/12/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/02/2011
Compare
gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute
Default Same questions was asked my brother in March 09

Same question was asked to my brother when he apperead for B1/B2 visa at Mumbai.

VO : What is your bother is doing ? ( about me )
My Brother : H1b
VO : For how long he is in USA ? ( about me )
My Brother : 6 years
VO : Does your brother has green card ? ( about me )
My Brother : Has applied but not received yet.

VO was surprised and said he has doubt about my immigration status as I should have green card if I am on h1b for 6 years. Thus he rejected applicaton. I think VO may have limited knowledge of this backlog and all stuff. He knew for sure that H1b has limit of 6 years.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
CRAZYMONK is a jewel in the rough CRAZYMONK is a jewel in the rough CRAZYMONK is a jewel in the rough CRAZYMONK is a jewel in the rough

Tamil_GC,

We can do nothing about this. This is all pure luck for B1/B2, especially Tourist Visas. They don't care for the documents. It is all impression based. Last time my in laws went 3 times and got approved 4th time with the same set of documents. They have very strong ties back in India. My uncle is Govt employee and is in service.

So keep trying...

Old 06-15-2009, 12:40 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/08/2007
Compare
buddhaas has a reputation beyond repute buddhaas has a reputation beyond repute buddhaas has a reputation beyond repute buddhaas has a reputation beyond repute buddhaas has a reputation beyond repute buddhaas has a reputation beyond repute buddhaas has a reputation beyond repute buddhaas has a reputation beyond repute buddhaas has a reputation beyond repute buddhaas has a reputation beyond repute buddhaas has a reputation beyond repute
Default It may not be true all the time...

My parents went through the visitor visa interview process on May 15th, and IO asked about how long I have been in USA and status of my GC? Parents answered that it is 8 years and still waiting for GC. Still they have granted visa for both of my parents for 10 yrs multiple entry.

Don't lose the hope.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Tamil_GC is on a distinguished road

Thanks jasmin45, gc_on_demand, CRAZYMONK, buddhaas,

Will it make a difference to send my mother-in-law alone for the next time and see if she get the visa and send my father-in-law after that?

Old 06-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of
Default Unfortunately, this incident is repeated several times a day...

It seems the visa officers at U.S. embassies and consulates are completely devoid of any empathy for the elderly...

jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmin45 View Post
Consular interviews turned into a arena for officials to harass the elderly in india and scoff at them. I had to visit India on a medical emergency in the family and had to visit consulate for stamping. Jeez.. They literally reduculed the elderly couple asking questions. Its not the questions itself but the tone with which the questions were asked and the way they were pushed into a helpless condition. Man, when I came out after my interview, I met them over a juice joint and they were extremely discouraged and disappointed. They told me that was 2nd time and they had to go through all this just because they wanted to visit and spend some time with their son who is working here. They left saying that they would never return to try again..

I felt so sad about it and you got to give it to the parents who brave the interogations at consulate and vist the childern.. .Thats parental love my friends.. they don't have to go through this otherwise.. Lot of the officials cannot understand this..

I am sure a lot of you folks would have seen such things happening in consulates..
Proud member of IV California/NorCal
I was in Washington, D.C.

on Sep 18th 2007

---------------------------------------------

Old 06-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of
Default Not to discourage you, but..

That doesn't necessarily work (I've seen one parent going alone being rejected several times).

jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamil_GC View Post

Will it make a difference to send my mother-in-law alone for the next time and see if she get the visa and send my father-in-law after that?
Proud member of IV California/NorCal
I was in Washington, D.C.

on Sep 18th 2007

---------------------------------------------

Old 06-15-2009, 02:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/06/2007
Compare
yestogc has a spectacular aura about yestogc has a spectacular aura about yestogc has a spectacular aura about

Yes, please do not get discouraged.
Every officer has a different outlook, with same set of papers it is highly likely that some other interviewing officer will clear it.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:54 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My in-laws (Father-in-law, aged 52 and Mother-in-law, aged 47) got their B1/B2 visa rejected on last week at Chennai consulate (Tamil Interview). They got the denial under Section 214-B (lack strong ties to return back). Following are the exact conversation they had with the consular with the help Tamil translator.

Consular: How many children you have?
In-laws: One daughter who got married and lives in USA and an un-married son who is living with us.
Consular: What do you do for living?
In-laws: We running transport service business.
Consular: How much you make?
In-laws: Rs 20,000- 25,000 per month
Consular: How long your son-in-law and daughter there in USA?
In-laws: My son-in-law is there for 9 years and our daughter is there for 6 years since she got married.
Consular: Did you get their green card? – This is the question, my in–laws got confused and do not what to answer as we did not tell them what to answer. They looked at each other for minute and said
In-laws: They applied for it and waiting for the green card – which is correct
Consular: Oh really? They are there for 9 years, still not got their green card?!!!

That’s was the end of the whole conversation they had. Then consular looked at the computer for some time and issued the denial letter and they said your visa is rejected. My in-laws did not say anything else and returned.

I don’t have any clue why they got rejected. They are running successful business; they have their un-married son and aged parent, who are living with them. We had made every effort to have all needed documents. Since I had told them not answer any thing else until they ask, they did not voluntarily give the extra details. They had bank details, property documents, insurance etc. Consular did not care to ask any of those details.

What could be the basis for this rejection? We are planning to apply again with in 2 months? Is it advisable? What can do differently to get the visa in the next time? Can we all the extra details about the strong ties even when they don’t ask next time?

Any advice/help/information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Consulate visas is unlike GC processing here. GC processing has a process and decisions are based on rules and protocols and also corrected if necessary. In consular visas - the decisions can be random.

It is very unfortunate for them to go through this. There seems to be no other option but to try again.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:07 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future
Default Better

Both husband and wife going for the interview have a better chance.
My mother in law went for interview 3 years back and got rejected. This month both in laws got visa for 10 years. Very few questions, but they check all documents.
Do not try after 2 months. They may think you are desperate for this visa. They may reject again. Try after 6 months.
They usually give visa for elderly couples. If around 45-50 age group, they may suspect, the people will not come back unless show strong ties back home.

Quote:

Old 06-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute
Default Approach has to be changed.

I guess, everyone is using the preparation methods of 2000. It is now 2009.

May be educate the parents on the current procedure is must now.

---------------------------------------------------
Q: Have they got their Green Card?
A: They are in Adjustment of Status now. (Don't evey start with "NO")
---------------------------------------------------

There is no particular rule on which they can grant visa or reject visa. It is up to the VO.

This is what happened to my In-Laws, RETIRED, their ONLY daughter in US. (Enough for rejection)

* All happens in 4 months period, in Chennai Consulate

* Attempt #1: VO "abc" rejected for no reason

* Attempt #2: VO "xyz" rejected for no reason

# Attempt #3: VO "abc" (same officer in first attempt they faced again, they felt so unfortunate while approaching the counter.) Guess what he said? YOUR VISA IS GRANTED!!!! He is My In-Laws are

Try one more time.

Good Luck.

Last edited by insbaby; 06-15-2009 at 04:06 PM.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thats not true

My mother in law got visa last year. She is in her 60's , dun speak or understand english.

All here kids are married and settled , she got no reason to come back from US still she got the visa. here's the conversation, which I really laughed at when she told me. her interview was done in hindi lasted for less than 10 min.

Consular: how are you ..
Mother in law : Fine.
Consular: Who lives in US?
MIL : Meri beti aur damaad
Consular: What does he do ( me)
MIL: Don't know , kisi badi company main aafisar hai
Consularkie give me papers( something I dun know)
MIL: I don't know all this , you take this packet and find ( she handed over the complete packet to her and left on her to find the papers herself)
Consular: Okie you will get the stamped passport in 3 days.
MIL: but I am going to haridwaar, no one will be there to receive it.
Consular: Okie someone can pick it up (from somewhere)

Finally my brother in law collected the passport.

But to add on to this, my mother in law is very very sweet , its very difficult to say no her. may be for that reason she got the visa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzByTheBay View Post
It seems the visa officers at U.S. embassies and consulates are completely devoid of any empathy for the elderly...

jazz

Support HR-3012 and Support Fairness!

Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Contribute | HR3012 Wiki

Info on Rally | Accommodation | Air Miles | Carpool | Merchandize | Posters | Volunteers

--------------------------
Result for psaxena:
Your position is 53193 in the Green Card Queue based on your Country of Chargeability "India", Priority Date "Aug-06" and Category "EB3" .
Your Expected Date of Adjudication is Sep, 2028.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:21 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sriramkalyan is a splendid one to behold sriramkalyan is a splendid one to behold sriramkalyan is a splendid one to behold sriramkalyan is a splendid one to behold sriramkalyan is a splendid one to behold sriramkalyan is a splendid one to behold sriramkalyan is a splendid one to behold

If in-laws Visa is rejected .. get Parents ... what so big discussion about it

Synonyms for inJustice:
Abuse, breach, crime, damage, dirty deal, discrimination, encroachment, favoritism, grievance, inequality, inequity, infraction, infringement, iniquity, malfeasance, malpractice, maltreatment, mischief, negligence, offense, one-sidedness, oppression, outrage, partiality, partisanship, prejudice, raw deal, rotten deal, ruin, sellout, transgression, trespass, unfairness, unjustness, unlawfulness, villainy, violation, wrongdoing

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
morchu is infamous around these parts morchu is infamous around these parts morchu is infamous around these parts morchu is infamous around these parts

I believe luck plays a big factor.
My parents and in-laws got B1 visas without any hassle.

From my experience, I think no need to train the parents too much. Your parents are not used to "interrogation", and so it wont work for them.

Tell them to "talk" to the officer instead of "answering memorized questionnaire".
Tell them not to over-talk, or boast, or to show extra interest in US.
Tell them not to be afraid of saying "don't remember".
Tell them to be themselves, and not to worry about a thing.
Don't tell them the horror stories of visa interviews, or make them panic.
Tell them what can go wrong, and what exact things can be "mis-interpreted" by officer as "immigration intent".
Prepare all documentation yourself in two separate packages, (1. necessary documentation and 2. supporting documentation). Tell your parents to just hand over the package 1 as it is, and only if requested, handover package 2.

What I believe goes wrong is with the extra effort they are trying to put.
If you are successful in making them to be themselves, and avoid some specific mistakes / loop holes, at the interview, they should be OK. Obviously documentation and paperwork plays a big role, and you have to take a lead on that (not your parents). I think luck also plays its role.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.