Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Towards Citizenship > The physical green card
Click to log in with Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 02:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Before 2000
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by garybanz View Post
If that is the case, then why is it that all immigration attorneys are asking us to stay with our current employers citing this "Intent" thing?

Are you saying that it's all smoke and no fire?
Read this post -
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/1977273-post22.html

Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2010, 02:36 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
godspeed has a reputation beyond repute godspeed has a reputation beyond repute godspeed has a reputation beyond repute godspeed has a reputation beyond repute godspeed has a reputation beyond repute godspeed has a reputation beyond repute godspeed has a reputation beyond repute godspeed has a reputation beyond repute godspeed has a reputation beyond repute godspeed has a reputation beyond repute godspeed has a reputation beyond repute
Default well

no, its called covering our behind, if in future something comes back to bite ,
As long as your orig employer does not complain(which i hardly doubt anyone will do) you are fine, worst case scenario if someone does, then its not a big hurdle to cross with an able attorney's help.
Just to put your mind at ease, i have several friends(not friend-of-a-friend) who had quit at various intervals (1-2-3 months) after getting their GC's and haven't faced a single issue while in process of becoming a citizen.
In short its better to be safe than sorry so these attorneys suggest staying for atleast 180 days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garybanz View Post
If that is the case, then why is it that all immigration attorneys are asking us to stay with our current employers citing this "Intent" thing? Are you saying that it's all smoke and no fire?
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 11-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by desi3933 View Post
There is no such law that specifies any duration one has to be employed by GC (or AC-21) employer. Period.

That is exactly I was trying to tell people here. Each lawyer can interpret law and put on his website. But the fact is we have not seen a single case of citizenship denial or RFE where someone had changed the job immediately after getting a job. If there was any such case, send it across for us to see.

Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Mailing List

===================
I do not give legal advice. You can pay and get it from Lawyers. Just show me some love and click the links above to help ImmigrationVoice any way you choose.
-----------

Old 11-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2010
Compare
permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you as I spoke with a friend who got his USC. His company got sold off after he got his GC in 2 months so joined another company.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rksaigal is infamous around these parts rksaigal is infamous around these parts rksaigal is infamous around these parts
Default GC sponsor

My neighbor was asked to how many years he worked with the company who sponsored his green card. He mentioned he had worked for two years. This was when he was applying for citizenship.

Although there is no mention in law for a specific duration. As Pappu said, its a lawyer's interpretation. I have yet to see USCIS's interpretation, especially what is the criteria followed in the naturalization interview.

- Rakesh

Old 11-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
wc_user is a jewel in the rough wc_user is a jewel in the rough wc_user is a jewel in the rough
Default Being safe is better IMO

Having said all this, I think it is safe to stay for a few months and then move on.. Wehave waited for nearly a decade.. what's the problem in staying for 4 months or so.. just take a vacation and go to India.. A month will go while in India, couple of months in planning and another month in recovering from Jet lag.. there you go.. it is 4 months now..
Donated $100

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2010
Compare
permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Notify employer , after GC using AC21 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc_user View Post
Having said all this, I think it is safe to stay for a few months and then move on.. Wehave waited for nearly a decade.. what's the problem in staying for 4 months or so.. just take a vacation and go to India.. A month will go while in India, couple of months in planning and another month in recovering from Jet lag.. there you go.. it is 4 months now..
My cousin took a offer from a employer in CA who who did her H1 transfer but the condition mentioned in the agreement is that

In the event the employee voluntarily resigns or her employment is terminated for performance or cause prior to 3 years, employee agrees to reimburse the "Employer" for the full amount of legal, administrative and filing fees associated with the sponsorship of the employee's work visas as permitted by law.

The employer won't do premium processing so my cousin paid $1000 on her own but she had to travel outside the country to canada to get a new I-94. The employer's law firm filed the paper work with canada embassy in US to get a canadian visa.

Now my cousin got her GC through her hubby which her employer does not know .

The employment laws in CA are different in the sense that all these agreements are not valid so how can she move (if moves within 3 yrs) to another company without paying anything or a little fee to the employer. I told her that H1-B fees are not too high maybe around $4000.00 so the employer will have to spend lot of money on the lawyer's to go to court to suit her if she left say after 2 years of employment as she feels that the agreement is one sided considering the time line.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:24 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Jipjap74 is infamous around these parts Jipjap74 is infamous around these parts Jipjap74 is infamous around these parts

My company let ME go the day after i got my GC. My attorney said it didnt matter as once you have your GC you are free to work for whomever you want.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:19 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
testtesttest is on a distinguished road

I have been on short term disability for past 3-4 months....I have been working with my company for last 6 yrs and received my green card last month...Is it safe to leave my job now on medical grounds ? Will there be a risk to my gc?