Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Towards Citizenship > The physical green card
Click to log in with Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/16/2007
Compare
uslegals will become famous soon enough uslegals will become famous soon enough
Default Need to travel - Have GC - passport expiring in March 2011

Hi everybody,
One of my friends has a GC for the last 41/2 years now and needs to travel to India in 2 weeks for his wedding. He comes back end of Jan 2011. His passport is expiring in March 2011. Does anybody know whether having a minimum of a 6 month passport validity is a requirement prior to traveling. ? Will the airport folks allow u to board the flights here and in India with the passpost expiring soon.? Can the indian embassy in DC do a emergency passport renewal.?

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Before 2000
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by uslegals View Post
.... Can the indian embassy in DC do a emergency passport renewal.?

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

They will extend the current passport by 1 year or issue a new one valid for one year.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/19/2002
Chargeability
:
Ireland
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2002
Compare
MCQ has a reputation beyond repute MCQ has a reputation beyond repute MCQ has a reputation beyond repute MCQ has a reputation beyond repute MCQ has a reputation beyond repute MCQ has a reputation beyond repute MCQ has a reputation beyond repute MCQ has a reputation beyond repute MCQ has a reputation beyond repute MCQ has a reputation beyond repute MCQ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sometimes the 6 month thing doesn't apply :)

As I understand it - if your friend is an Indian national, travelling to India, his passport needs only to be valid when he arrives in India. There is no rule that says your passport has to be valid beyond six months to get into your own country.

Also, as I understand it, as your friend has a Green Card and is considered a Permanent Resident of the United States, his Indian passport only has to be valid the day he returns to the USA from India after his wedding.

I actually once came back to the US from Ireland, a few years back with only four weeks left on my passport - but as my greencrd still had eight years left on it - there was no problem at the port of entry.

I know of many people who have Green Cards who have let their passports expire and then gone and applied for new ones after the fact. There is no law against a Permanent Resident having an expired passport - merely an inconvenience if you find you need to travel out of the country in a hurry.

The six month rule that most countries have in place is for visitors to the country, not for those whom it considers residents.

For the full US rules - there is some stuff on the Department of State website.

hope that helps.
McQ

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/16/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
desigirl has a reputation beyond repute desigirl has a reputation beyond repute desigirl has a reputation beyond repute desigirl has a reputation beyond repute desigirl has a reputation beyond repute desigirl has a reputation beyond repute desigirl has a reputation beyond repute desigirl has a reputation beyond repute desigirl has a reputation beyond repute desigirl has a reputation beyond repute desigirl has a reputation beyond repute

As long as the passport is valid at the time of travel - he should be fine. If he is an Indian Ciitizen, he can get his passport renewed in India (while he is there) or if the period is too short, he can return to the US and send it for renewal here.

The travel agent will also be able to let you know about the passport validity during travel.