Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Towards Citizenship > The physical green card
Click to log in with Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 10:59 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/13/2007
Compare
mrb98688 is on a distinguished road
Default Re-enter the U.S. with Indian passport valid for less than two monthis

My wife is a green card holder with an Indian passport. She is travelling to India next month and will return at the end of July. At the time of her re-entry into the U.S., her passport will have a remaining validity of less than two months.

Here is my question. Is there a minimum remaining validity requirement for the foreign passport holder to re-enter the U.S., if they have a valid green card in their possession?

I did some research and here is what I found. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...idents/p/0/c/0

This USCIS answer says that we do not need a passport to re-enter if we have a valid green card.

Anybody else been in a similar sistuation? Can you please share some insights upon your re-entry into the U.S.?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2011, 01:16 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb98688 View Post
My wife is a green card holder with an Indian passport. She is travelling to India next month and will return at the end of July. At the time of her re-entry into the U.S., her passport will have a remaining validity of less than two months.

Here is my question. Is there a minimum remaining validity requirement for the foreign passport holder to re-enter the U.S., if they have a valid green card in their possession?

I did some research and here is what I found. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...idents/p/0/c/0

This USCIS answer says that we do not need a passport to re-enter if we have a valid green card.

Anybody else been in a similar sistuation? Can you please share some insights upon your re-entry into the U.S.?
did youll try renewing the passport?...i did it last year and received it in 2-3 weeks
ofcourse there is no such guarantee
you pretty much answered your own question...as in not needing passport to enter if you have GC

Old 04-15-2011, 02:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
h_shaik is a name known to all h_shaik is a name known to all h_shaik is a name known to all h_shaik is a name known to all h_shaik is a name known to all h_shaik is a name known to all
Default Airline -Restriction

Quote:

Good to know that the Passport is not needed to enter into USA if you have a Green Card.
There are some airline restrictions that they won't allow you to board the plane if you don't have atleast 6 months valid passport. I heard that it happend with Singapore ailrlines. You better check with your aillines about this.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-10
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
anura has a reputation beyond repute anura has a reputation beyond repute anura has a reputation beyond repute anura has a reputation beyond repute anura has a reputation beyond repute anura has a reputation beyond repute anura has a reputation beyond repute anura has a reputation beyond repute anura has a reputation beyond repute anura has a reputation beyond repute anura has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Renew the passport as soon as possible. Passports with less than 6 month validity can be renewed easily at the local consulate. I did mine at Chicago by mail and received it in 15 days. I would not take risk hassling with airport authorities / airlines / immigration authorities. We cannot be citing websites and quoting laws in the last minute to some authority who may not be knowledgeable.