Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Towards Citizenship > The physical green card
Click to log in with Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 07:19 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bcrawl can only hope to improve
Default Received GC last month, planning to travel overseas, really concerned....

Hi,

I received my permanent green card based on marriage to US citizen, valid for 10 years last month. Now, I am planning to travel to India after close to 9 years, but I am extremely concerned about returning point of entry issues and I wanted to see what would the community suggest.

I came to the US in Fall of 2002 on a student visa. Around aug - 06, I went out of status. Right around then I met my future wife who is an american citizen, we moved in dec of 06 and got married in Jun 07. Due to financial hardship, we couldnt apply for my AOS/GC up untill late Oct last year. [Oct - 2010]. We hired a lawyer and every thing went pretty smoothly and fast.

I had my EAD approved within 45 days and I got my GC interview after a month. We [me, wife, lawyer] went to the meeting and everything went great. Our interviewing officer just took 20 mins to question us and we received my Permanent GC [not conditional] in the mail shortly there after.

Now I am planning a visit back home for one week, because I couldn't get more days off.

I am just worried about my return step to US at the port of entry. I have been reading and I learnt that I just have to present my country passport and physical green card to the officer who will then scan and ask questions.

What kind of questions can I expect from the officer?

Will he be asking me questions about my past as in when was the last time I came to US?

Why I was illegal/out of status of close to 4 years and questions about our marraige etc?

When applying for GC we collected lot of documents to provide to the USCIS that our marriage was in good faith such as joint bank accounts, pictures, leases etc. Should I take all those documents with me when flying?

Will taking a certified copy of my marraige certificate beneficial along with the supporting documents?

It feels like another "meeting" with USCIS where I have to show proof but I am really concerned that I dont get denied at the port of entry.

Also, after I got my EAD, I moved to another state to work on a contract position for couple of months. I consider my actual address as the address I applied my GC which is in another state, since this is just temporary job. I already mentioned this to the officer at my interview and he noted my current location/job title etc during that time....should I do something about it?

Sorry about such a long list of questions. Its just that I havent travelled out of country in such as long time and I dont know what issues I could face and what I need to carry with me so that I can be allowed back into the country upon return?

Thanks.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

1 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute

If the total duration of unauthorized stay in the US is less than 180 days then you should not have any issues. Google for 180 days unauthorized presence and you will get some hits. Also, please consult a qualified attorney regarding this.
I140 approval Oct 2006
I485 filed Jul 2 07
I485 approved on Jul 25 2011
Received green cards on Jul 28 2011

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bcrawl can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramaonline View Post
If the total duration of unauthorized stay in the US is less than 180 days then you should not have any issues. Google for 180 days unauthorized presence and you will get some hits. Also, please consult a qualified attorney regarding this.
My total duration was more than 180 days. infact it was around 3+ years since as I mentioned I did not apply for AOS/GC up untill late last year.

I went out of status in 06.
Got married to US citizen in 07.
Stayed out of status until nov 2010, when I finally applied for GC.
Permanent GC got approved last month.

My attorney says that I should not have any issues when returning. I just dont know how much I can believe her.

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/26/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
furiouspride is a name known to all furiouspride is a name known to all furiouspride is a name known to all furiouspride is a name known to all furiouspride is a name known to all furiouspride is a name known to all

I was gonna say "ask an attorney" but if your attorney says so, then go for it! You will have to go some day!

Old 05-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
punjabi has a reputation beyond repute punjabi has a reputation beyond repute punjabi has a reputation beyond repute punjabi has a reputation beyond repute punjabi has a reputation beyond repute punjabi has a reputation beyond repute punjabi has a reputation beyond repute punjabi has a reputation beyond repute punjabi has a reputation beyond repute punjabi has a reputation beyond repute punjabi has a reputation beyond repute
Default no issues

I read everything you wrote. To cut short, I don't think you will any issues at all.

No need to carry documents to prove your legal marriage. You already did so and thus got your GC.

GC makes you "permanent Resident" in US. Past is past. I am not an attorney but I strongly believe you won't have any issues.

If I were you and find myself in doubt, I would spend $300-$400 to consult 2 different attorneys and get their opinion to remove any hesitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrawl View Post
Hi,

I received my permanent green card based on marriage to US citizen, valid for 10 years last month. Now, I am planning to travel to India after close to 9 years, but I am extremely concerned about returning point of entry issues and I wanted to see what would the community suggest.
Thanks.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Life is a game....why get serious?
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
$930 in contribution, DC Rally & Phone Campaign

[SAVE PAPER think before you print.]

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/11/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/11/2007
Compare
GCHope2011 has a reputation beyond repute GCHope2011 has a reputation beyond repute GCHope2011 has a reputation beyond repute GCHope2011 has a reputation beyond repute GCHope2011 has a reputation beyond repute GCHope2011 has a reputation beyond repute GCHope2011 has a reputation beyond repute GCHope2011 has a reputation beyond repute GCHope2011 has a reputation beyond repute GCHope2011 has a reputation beyond repute GCHope2011 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hi,

I came to the US in Fall of 2002 on a student visa. Around aug - 06, I went out of status. Right around then I met my future wife who is an american citizen, we moved in dec of 06 and got married in Jun 07. Due to financial hardship, we couldnt apply for my AOS/GC up untill late Oct last year. [Oct - 2010]. We hired a lawyer and every thing went pretty smoothly and fast.

I had my EAD approved within 45 days and I got my GC interview after a month. We [me, wife, lawyer] went to the meeting and everything went great. Our interviewing officer just took 20 mins to question us and we received my Permanent GC [not conditional] in the mail shortly there after.

Now I am planning a visit back home for one week, because I couldn't get more days off.

I am just worried about my return step to US at the port of entry. I have been reading and I learnt that I just have to present my country passport and physical green card to the officer who will then scan and ask questions.

What kind of questions can I expect from the officer?

Will he be asking me questions about my past as in when was the last time I came to US?

Why I was illegal/out of status of close to 4 years and questions about our marraige etc?

When applying for GC we collected lot of documents to provide to the USCIS that our marriage was in good faith such as joint bank accounts, pictures, leases etc. Should I take all those documents with me when flying?

Will taking a certified copy of my marraige certificate beneficial along with the supporting documents?

It feels like another "meeting" with USCIS where I have to show proof but I am really concerned that I dont get denied at the port of entry.

Also, after I got my EAD, I moved to another state to work on a contract position for couple of months. I consider my actual address as the address I applied my GC which is in another state, since this is just temporary job. I already mentioned this to the officer at my interview and he noted my current location/job title etc during that time....should I do something about it?

Sorry about such a long list of questions. Its just that I havent travelled out of country in such as long time and I dont know what issues I could face and what I need to carry with me so that I can be allowed back into the country upon return?

Thanks.
Out of status for that long probably carries a 10 year entry ban.

You will just be relying on the POE Officer's oversight as your hopes of getting in. Other than that, anyone who looks through the history deeply has a good chance of catching the issue.

I don't think being a GC holder makes any difference, as the out-of-status was accrued before GC.

I am not a lawyer, so don't take my words without verifying with lawyers.
RFE: BC in 2009/ Proof of Employment Authorization on July 8th, 2011
Greened on 07/16/2011
Cards Received on 07/21/2011

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:42 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sheelalann is infamous around these parts sheelalann is infamous around these parts sheelalann is infamous around these parts sheelalann is infamous around these parts sheelalann is infamous around these parts sheelalann is infamous around these parts sheelalann is infamous around these parts sheelalann is infamous around these parts sheelalann is infamous around these parts sheelalann is infamous around these parts sheelalann is infamous around these parts

i think you should get your case reviewed by a good attorney

Old 05-22-2011, 07:59 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/10/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/03/2012
Compare
pknkak is infamous around these parts pknkak is infamous around these parts pknkak is infamous around these parts pknkak is infamous around these parts

It is worth consulting the lawyer rather than take risk blindly. Because it's only you who know how much effort you have put in getting this GC.
So I agree with other people who suggested you to consult.

All the best.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:35 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/09/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
krishna_brc is a splendid one to behold krishna_brc is a splendid one to behold krishna_brc is a splendid one to behold krishna_brc is a splendid one to behold krishna_brc is a splendid one to behold krishna_brc is a splendid one to behold krishna_brc is a splendid one to behold

To bcrawl...

I think you are fine.... since you entered US legally

http://www..com/greencard/familybase...ons-in-us.html

But of course a lawyer is the best person to answer that with certainity.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Before 2000
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hi,

Any of kind of ban (whether 1 year or 10 years) applies ONLY for seeking admission into USA on visa or advance parole only. This ban does not apply for green card holders.

I would suggest get consultation with immigration attorney of your choice and get your peace of mind back.

Based on what you have written, I don't see any reason for worry.

Have a good trip and Good Luck.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute bugsbunny has a reputation beyond repute

you should not have any issues. Even if you came here illegally and you get married to a citizen...you would be ok. There is no ban. Enjoy your vacation...carry your GC and thats it...you will have no issues coming back

Its how they say in monopoly....get outta jail free...go straight to GO...collect $200...hahaha

Life is a journey Enjoy the ride!

Old 05-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
GCmuddu_H1BVaddu is infamous around these parts GCmuddu_H1BVaddu is infamous around these parts GCmuddu_H1BVaddu is infamous around these parts GCmuddu_H1BVaddu is infamous around these parts GCmuddu_H1BVaddu is infamous around these parts GCmuddu_H1BVaddu is infamous around these parts GCmuddu_H1BVaddu is infamous around these parts GCmuddu_H1BVaddu is infamous around these parts GCmuddu_H1BVaddu is infamous around these parts GCmuddu_H1BVaddu is infamous around these parts GCmuddu_H1BVaddu is infamous around these parts

I knew you will have response here, I quickly scrolled down to read it and you got me on this one snathan. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snathan View Post
I dont think you will have any issues....

Old 05-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
GCmuddu_H1BVaddu is infamous around these parts GCmuddu_H1BVaddu is infamous around these parts GCmuddu_H1BVaddu is infamous around these parts GCmuddu_H1BVaddu is infamous around these parts GCmuddu_H1BVaddu is infamous around these parts GCmuddu_H1BVaddu is infamous around these parts GCmuddu_H1BVaddu is infamous around these parts GCmuddu_H1BVaddu is infamous around these parts GCmuddu_H1BVaddu is infamous around these parts GCmuddu_H1BVaddu is infamous around these parts GCmuddu_H1BVaddu is infamous around these parts

BTW, I look like R.Narayana Murthy. That's the last thing I want be in this life. Can any one change me please, some one like Mamtha Benerji.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCmuddu_H1BVaddu View Post
I knew you will have response here, I quickly scrolled down to read it and you got me on this one snathan. :-)

Old 05-24-2011, 06:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ramhs is infamous around these parts ramhs is infamous around these parts ramhs is infamous around these parts ramhs is infamous around these parts ramhs is infamous around these parts ramhs is infamous around these parts ramhs is infamous around these parts

Wonder how you even got GC after being out of status for 4 years, when millions of legal people are struggling even after 10-15 years to get GC. I continue to be amazed by this immigration process.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:17 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/30/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/05/2007
Compare
northstar is a splendid one to behold northstar is a splendid one to behold northstar is a splendid one to behold northstar is a splendid one to behold northstar is a splendid one to behold northstar is a splendid one to behold northstar is a splendid one to behold northstar is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Hi,

I went out of status. Right around then I met my future wife who is an american citizen....
What a stroke of luck, you are really a lucky lucky guy