Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Towards Citizenship > The physical green card
Click to log in with Facebook
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Junior Member
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10
aqua38 is on a distinguished road
Default Green Card and Expiring Passport situation - Please help

Hi,

My family will be travelling from US to India on June 4th. We realized (our mistake) few days ago that our daughter's passport is expiring on July 3rd. The 3 of us have our green cards. We found out from the airlines and Indian immigration that clarified that there are no concerns while travelling to India with her passport that is valid for 30 more days only. Now we are dropping our child there with our parents for summer and getting back to work here on June 20th. My husband will be going again in Ausust to bring her back.

Question: What is the best and hassle free way to renew her passport?

Option 1: Apply as soon as we get there.
Concern: But apply at a regional passport office and the hassles that accompany it is concerning me.

Option 2: When we both travel back here on June 20th, we get her passport with us and get it renewed here (with our permanant US address) at Houston. They take only 10days and I feel confident to apply here.
Concern: Will this be a problem while travelling back? Will the immegration at US question how come her new passport was renewed in Houston while she was not here or something of that sort or it does not matter?

Also, while renewing a passport for minor do they need passport copies of both the parents or just 1would do?

Thank you for looking at my question/(s)
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2007
Compare
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 517
InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future
Default

Option 2 is out of question. You cannot bring it back internationally without the holder. Illegal per Indian law.

Also, for Option 1, what hassle are you imagining - traveling to the office ? Just pay any extra fees for faster service at the Regional Office and it will be smooth. A local reliable agent might make it easier if you want. That is THE only option you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua38 View Post
Hi,

My family will be travelling from US to India on June 4th. We realized (our mistake) few days ago that our daughter's passport is expiring on July 3rd. The 3 of us have our green cards. We found out from the airlines and Indian immigration that clarified that there are no concerns while travelling to India with her passport that is valid for 30 more days only. Now we are dropping our child there with our parents for summer and getting back to work here on June 20th. My husband will be going again in Ausust to bring her back.

Question: What is the best and hassle free way to renew her passport?

Option 1: Apply as soon as we get there.
Concern: But apply at a regional passport office and the hassles that accompany it is concerning me.

Option 2: When we both travel back here on June 20th, we get her passport with us and get it renewed here (with our permanant US address) at Houston. They take only 10days and I feel confident to apply here.
Concern: Will this be a problem while travelling back? Will the immegration at US question how come her new passport was renewed in Houston while she was not here or something of that sort or it does not matter?

Also, while renewing a passport for minor do they need passport copies of both the parents or just 1would do?

Thank you for looking at my question/(s)
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Member
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 86
airbusfan has much to be proud of airbusfan has much to be proud of airbusfan has much to be proud of airbusfan has much to be proud of airbusfan has much to be proud of airbusfan has much to be proud of airbusfan has much to be proud of airbusfan has much to be proud of airbusfan has much to be proud of airbusfan has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheMoment View Post
Option 2 is out of question. You cannot bring it back internationally without the holder. Illegal per Indian law.

Also, for Option 1, what hassle are you imagining - traveling to the office ? Just pay any extra fees for faster service at the Regional Office and it will be smooth. A local reliable agent might make it easier if you want. That is THE only option you have.
How many posts has the OP posted with the same question??
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Junior Member
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10
aqua38 is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks for your response. I was just concerened about the processing times and about experiances by few people etc. I am sure its going to be ok.

Also my other concern was the address. Since she is a permanant residence of US, her passport should technically have her US address. When her passport was originally made we were living in India at my husband's parents house, ("House A") and that's the address she has. If we have to give an US address now while applying in India we have to get an affidavit attestation etc from the houston consolate and then only apply which would add additional processing time.
So we have decided to pick that there is no change in the address while applying since for 2 months she'll technically be staying at the same "House A" in India. Hope that should be ok.

Also, is it ok that only her dad's passport copies will be sent with the other documents? I don't want to submit both of ours, since mine is a newly renewed passport and has our US address while my husband still has his address of the "House "A" in India. Because that would mean that one parent is residing in abroad and would need additional attestation.. . We are anyway 3 yrs away from applying for citizenship.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Junior Member
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10
aqua38 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbusfan View Post
How many posts has the OP posted with the same question??
I am sorry I thought I had posted the first one in a wrong topic form and was not able to delete it.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Junior Member
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10
aqua38 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheMoment View Post
Also, for Option 1, what hassle are you imagining - traveling to the office ? Just pay any extra fees for faster service at the Regional Office and it will be smooth. A local reliable agent might make it easier if you want. That is THE only option you have.
It definetly is not smooth. The only way to re-issue a passport now is take an online appointment at the Passport Seva Kendra which is a system developed by horrible TCS. PSK is just pathetic. The entire passport dept is filled with incompetent people. I am having sleepless nights because of them. First of all I had to pay some person/broker 2000 rs to get an online appt at the PSK office for my daughter’s passport. That site does NOT WORK FOR NORMAL CITIZENS. The call center is bullshit and its just a bunch of parrots who are of no help.

It took 4 hrs within that building. We had all the documents which they accepted. We paid the tatkal fees and when asked the officer about when she will get the PP, they said their white lie “You’ll get it in 3 days”. Its been more than 10 days and the status still shows “processing”. How incompetent. Now my husband and I are back in US and our daughter is in India with our parents waiting for the PP. This is making our entire family nervous.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Green Card, unique situation, please help. ColorRed Immigrant Visa 3 09-23-2010 11:00 AM
H1 extension, Passport expiring munnu77 Non-Immigrant Visa 2 08-31-2009 08:58 PM
I-94 Question: Passport Expiring AnalyzeThis Non-Immigrant Visa 1 05-26-2009 01:14 AM
Current Passport expiring before I get a new one EB3_SEP04 All other Green Card Issues 5 07-02-2008 01:56 PM
L1-A expiring Oct 2008, Green Card app 01/2003 HELP maem01 All other Green Card Issues 4 06-27-2006 09:12 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c)ImmigrationVoice.org