Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Towards Citizenship > Life after Greencard
Click to log in with Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-01
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sargon is infamous around these parts sargon is infamous around these parts sargon is infamous around these parts sargon is infamous around these parts sargon is infamous around these parts sargon is infamous around these parts sargon is infamous around these parts
Default Do gaz zameen bhi na mili koocha-e-yar me

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCVivek View Post
... Max you need is 6-feet....
If you are hinting at what I think you are, then let me correct you. Hindus don't need even those 6 feet. Only Christians and Muslims do.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:37 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
abracadabra102 has much to be proud of abracadabra102 has much to be proud of abracadabra102 has much to be proud of abracadabra102 has much to be proud of abracadabra102 has much to be proud of abracadabra102 has much to be proud of abracadabra102 has much to be proud of abracadabra102 has much to be proud of abracadabra102 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_sk2 View Post
You can stop (or reduce) worrying once you are near retirement and then you can just enjoy the fruits of your previous worrying and struggles.
We stop worrying when we are dead. Period. Retirement brings other worries like failing health, aging, monotony, depleting finances etc. We start becoming irrelevant as we age. If we have a family, one worry or the other is always round the corner.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastindia View Post
I do not think this is true.

Is there a link or official proof of this.

You need to personally visit SS office to collect/register. If you are retired in India, how will you do it. You will not spend 1.5 thousand dollars to collect 1 thousand dollars.
Your Payments While You Are Outside The United States

If you are a U.S. citizen, you may receive your Social Security payments outside the United States as long as you are eligible for them.
  • PERM Approved - Oct/20/2011
  • I-140 - To be Filed Nov 1st week [Premium]
  • Category - EB3
  • 6th Year H1 Ends - Feb 2012

Old 03-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Compare
NIW has much to be proud of NIW has much to be proud of NIW has much to be proud of NIW has much to be proud of NIW has much to be proud of NIW has much to be proud of NIW has much to be proud of NIW has much to be proud of NIW has much to be proud of
Default Life after Green card: towards citizenship - some thoughts

It's a great topic of discussion for many of us, perhaps a podium to vent out the uncertainties, ups and downs and status quo of life.
Now, look at us? We are all over the map.
Like any big question in life, this one too has no right or wrong answer. Every person and situation is unique. So, whatever floats your boat!
As many stated, the world is constantly changing, some parts for better and some for worse. At this time and age, no physical boundary of a country can keep its folks immune to the chaos of neighbors. Like global economy and global warming things like terrorism, disease, poverty etc. too will be (are) things of global in nature. It’s just a matter of time!
Like Romans, British and Soviets, the mighty American empire may also find itself at the similar fate or it may defy the patterns of history?
If you pay close attention to any media outlet or political wing, you'll realize that everybody has a hidden agenda and certainly not the dream of Utopia.
Will they raise this nation above the challenges of twenty first century or take it to the cusp of collapse with their myopic decisions?
Will India become the super power despite its myriad of challenges?
Nobody knows. (Who foresaw 2008 financial collapse or Revolutions in the Middle East/ North Africa?)
May be we'll all be waiting at those familiar airport gates with two check-in and a carryon baggage in hand and tons of questions in mind heading to the east……
A friend of mine who fought in Kargil said “You don't feel the cold even when you are in the brutal, bone biting winds of Himalayans when you are facing the determined enemy trying to take you down"
I think life isn't bad for most of us. The day is getting longer, take your spouse or kids for a stroll.....

P.S: No offense intended at anybody, these are few of my random thoughts.

Last edited by NIW; 03-07-2011 at 03:21 PM.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2010
Compare
permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute
Default History...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInTheMuck View Post
Thanks to kutra & eb2_immigrant for sharing very perceptive thoughts. Like kutra, I do not judge a future India as being good or bad, just different. As for expectations, if I do move back after retirement (instead of making a career move), and with my daughter settled in USA, the most I would need is a peaceful life among my country folks, and not much else. Yes, the material comfort that we are accustomed to here in USA, especially quality healthcare at old age, likely won't be available in India. But as likely I won't be billed to death for visiting the doctor's office or hospitals.

To eb2_immigrant's point about being selfish in choosing to move back, if we do that after our kids have grown up and are happily settled in their own life, perhaps it ain't so bad?

Cheers,
stuck
My perspective is that we spent first 25 yrs (roughly) in India prior to embarking on our journey to US. Looking back I see that our parents...forefathers were successful with the knowledge they had which is the foundation of our current India both good and bad. It is up to us to decide if we want to be part of this on going change or stay in US for life.
I think no matter where you live in this global economy, it is better to give back to our home country (knowledge, money etc) in what ever way to see it prosper, improve the efficiency, fix the political system etc as without our home country, none of us would be in US and always remember history as to how we were treated and persecuted prior to independence.

flaws are there in every country but it should always be compared to the country's growth. Folks come to US on education and go through the lengthy immigration process to settle whereas there are folks who immigrate to US via family, EB1 (managerial), asylum categories so where is the fairness in the system ?

If we think more , we might come up with more flaws in developed countries as well :-)

Old 03-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/09/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/01/2011
Compare
goel_ar has a reputation beyond repute goel_ar has a reputation beyond repute goel_ar has a reputation beyond repute goel_ar has a reputation beyond repute goel_ar has a reputation beyond repute goel_ar has a reputation beyond repute goel_ar has a reputation beyond repute goel_ar has a reputation beyond repute goel_ar has a reputation beyond repute goel_ar has a reputation beyond repute goel_ar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifestrikes View Post
Your Payments While You Are Outside The United States

If you are a U.S. citizen, you may receive your Social Security payments outside the United States as long as you are eligible for them.
Good piece of information that social security taxes paid by me won't be wasted provided below doesn't change.

You are a citizen of one of the countries listed below, and the worker on whose record your benefits are based lived in the United States for at least 10 years or earned at least 40 credits under the U.S. Social Security system. If you are receiving benefits as a dependent or survivor, see additional requirements.

* Afghanistan
* Australia
* Bangladesh
* Bhutan
* Botswana
* Burma
* Burundi
* Cameroon
* Cape Verde
* Central African Republic
* Chad
* China
* Congo, Rep. of
* Ethiopia
* Fiji
* Gambia
* Ghana

* Haiti
* Honduras
* India
* Indonesia
* Kenya
* Laos
* Lebanon
* Lesotho
* Liberia
* Madagascar
* Malawi
* Malaysia
* Mali
* Mauritania
* Mauritius
* Morocco
* Nepal
* Nigeria
* Pakistan

* St. Vincent & Grenadines
* Senegal
* Sierra Leone
* Singapore
* Solomon Islands
* Somalia
* South Africa
* Sri Lanka
* Sudan
* Swaziland
* Taiwan
* Tanzania
* Thailand
* Togo
* Tonga
* Tunisia
* Uganda
* Yemen

Old 03-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
unseenguy is just really nice unseenguy is just really nice unseenguy is just really nice unseenguy is just really nice unseenguy is just really nice
Default Indian till death

I came to US in 2000 and got my green card last year. My parents wanted me to become successful in life and did not place any restrictions on me. However, I was brought up in a very conservative, nationalistic family and my mother would never like me giving up citizenship, religion or walking out of marriage. For me these choices are simple. This is how my parents wanted me to live my life.

In addition to it, although I lived in US for so long, and with due respect to this good country that has given me so many opportunities, my love for India has never diminished. Not a day goes by when I have not thought of India or her future. I visit as often as possible and people back home love me, they love me in real sense.

In US, although I have money & there are great helpful people around and this is a great country, I ask myself a question: If I take US citizenship, will whites here really accept me as an american until I change my accent and gel my hair the way ABCDs do?

Probably not, they will still call me Indian. Now am I supposed to fight them at that point and get into a shouting match that I am American? Probably not?

What about a guy from europe? Will he call me american? Most probably not!

How is kalpana chawla remembered today elsewhere in the world? Indian or American?

After thinking through all of this, however imperfect is my motherland, it is still MY country & thats my identity. Emotionally its too much of a drain for me to give up my Indian citizenship. I think I will retain it as long as I can.

One disadvantage that no one talked about is , if you keep american citizenship, you need to file US income tax returns on your worldwide income.

After struggling so much, if I do go back to India, I am not coming back here.

Last edited by unseenguy; 03-07-2011 at 08:33 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:04 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute

@unseenguy

Very good thougths.

One disadvantage that no one talked about is , if you keep american citizenship, you need to file US income tax returns on your worldwide income.

>> You are incorrect on above statement. If you are considered as Resident Alien for Tax purpose, you have to show worldwide income in tax returns.

Since you are in US since 20000, most likely you will be considered as Resident Alien for Tax purpose (through Substantial Presence Test).
  • PERM Approved - Oct/20/2011
  • I-140 - To be Filed Nov 1st week [Premium]
  • Category - EB3
  • 6th Year H1 Ends - Feb 2012

Old 03-07-2011, 10:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/08/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
sands_14 is a jewel in the rough sands_14 is a jewel in the rough sands_14 is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Time to garner support for dual citizenship

Hi,
I am far from filing for citizenship but I feel I dont want to give up Indian citizenship somehow;dont want to leave that; I hope we can push for Dual citizenship....till then GC will be fine I guess :-)

Last edited by sands_14; 03-07-2011 at 10:10 PM. Reason: edit

Old 03-08-2011, 05:00 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/23/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2007
Compare
Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Good discussion! Here is my experience/rant and the decision ... I came from India to US for education and career ... got both, thank you US of A! I am employed by a European MNC and hence spend most of my time in Europe ... here are my experiences!

In USA, everyone knows me as an Indian (a dot Indian, to be precise, as against the feather Indian) and my children and their children will be known by same identity (no matter how much they change their hair color or accents). In Europe, I am assumed American (except in UK, where many can even guess which part of India I come from) 'cause I come from US and work and live in USA (This is indeed a recognition for USA as a land for everyone!). The funniest part is when I travel with my European colleagues to other parts of the world in Asia, Africa and Latin America ... all those folks assume me to be European cause for them, I work for a European company, I have come with other Europeans and I speak a European language... Initially, I spent a fair amount of time explaining the intricacies of my wherabouts, but over time, I gave up ...

I have accepted that I no more have a single identity that can define me clearly. I have a hybrid identity that is impacted by at least two cultures (Indian and US) and I have to live with it. If I think about it, it is not a bad identity at all, and as the globalization takes firm roots, it is also becoming more common!

What does it mean for the decision on USC or IC? Here is my plan ... If India allows dual citizenship, then these points are moot...If India does not allow dual citizenship in a forseeable future (next 5-10 years), then in my family, I will keep one Indian citizenship (with GC) for all property etc in India and will have one USC for earthly belongings in US ... the kids may afterall opt for a Chinese or Brazilian green card (in which case, I will have to secure some long term visa and medical insurance in China or Brazil ... Ning Hao or Bom Dia to that!)

Last edited by Pagal; 03-08-2011 at 05:03 AM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
unseenguy is just really nice unseenguy is just really nice unseenguy is just really nice unseenguy is just really nice unseenguy is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifestrikes View Post
@unseenguy

Very good thougths.

>> You are incorrect on above statement. If you are considered as Resident Alien for Tax purpose, you have to show worldwide income in tax returns.

Since you are in US since 20000, most likely you will be considered as Resident Alien for Tax purpose (through Substantial Presence Test).
Ofcourse, if you live in US you have to pay resident taxes regardless of the citizenship. Point I was making was, if you decide to go back to India, in that case you can simply walk away from green card and you owe nothing to US after that. But if you take or retain US citizenship & then go back to India, you will have to keep paying taxes. Don't distort or pick on what I was trying to say. I think you got the point even before.

Last edited by unseenguy; 03-08-2011 at 04:23 PM.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:14 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/07/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute

First post for good cause, great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janemei View Post
Wait for few years but right now support Anna Hazare.....

Old 08-17-2011, 01:21 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/11/2006
Compare
Siddharta will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by unseenguy View Post
....... you can simply walk away from green card and you owe nothing to US after that.........
Looks like you haven't heard of the exit tax or expatriation tax - applies to GC holders and USC only.

Expatriation Tax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Expatriate Tax Services LLC - Articles

Foreign nationals who become residents of the United States (green card holders) will now need to make a decision regarding their future, after they have been in the United States 7 years. If the intent is to return home at a point in the future, they will need to decide whether to do so before they have been in the United States for 8 years, or to continue to live in the United States knowing that when they do leave they may be considered a “covered expatriate’ and subject to immediate U.S. income tax on appreciated assets.

Last edited by Siddharta; 08-17-2011 at 01:38 AM.