Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Towards Citizenship > Life after Greencard
Click to log in with Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2009, 03:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB1A
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/16/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I have seen this document before, and if we are both looking at the same place (top of page 10), this is an average estimate that sweeps lot of detail under the carpet. USCIS's yearly updates reveal more. As I said earlier, depending on where you live, your processing time can be anywhere between 5 and 15 months. From my visits to several naturalization-related threads, I have rarely seen anybody who became citizen under at least 1 year, going as far back as 2002. You are right, we won't expect another rush now as it was in year 2007 (compare the "Total" number naturalized in 2008 with that in 2007, Table 2, page 3, here). But then, who knows what can happen after 5 years.
Donated $200 (after receiving Green Card)
US Citizen Sep '14

Last edited by StuckInTheMuck; 04-30-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2009, 04:16 PM
Priority Date
:
May-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/18/2008
Chargeability
:
Sri Lanka
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
04/18/2008
Compare
Kodi has a spectacular aura about Kodi has a spectacular aura about Kodi has a spectacular aura about

How can I get the clause removed from my SS card?

Old 04-30-2009, 04:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2008
Compare
a1b2c3 is a splendid one to behold a1b2c3 is a splendid one to behold a1b2c3 is a splendid one to behold a1b2c3 is a splendid one to behold a1b2c3 is a splendid one to behold a1b2c3 is a splendid one to behold a1b2c3 is a splendid one to behold

thanks a lot for the nice info. appreciate all the pointers. I know its all miles away but if it were not for some issues I am dealing with I would not have taken active interest in this.
http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/s...tz_fr_2008.pdf amazes me.record #s from mexico? nearly 232k vs 62k from india in 2008.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
eb2_immigrant is a splendid one to behold eb2_immigrant is a splendid one to behold eb2_immigrant is a splendid one to behold eb2_immigrant is a splendid one to behold eb2_immigrant is a splendid one to behold eb2_immigrant is a splendid one to behold eb2_immigrant is a splendid one to behold eb2_immigrant is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Good post

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInTheMuck View Post
With my very best wishes to those of you waiting for your GC, this thread is created for the lucky among us who received it recently. I am putting together a list of things to do, and not do, to maintain our freshly minted PR status, which should also help during future citizenship application. The list is mostly about little things that others have learned from experience (and I am learning from their experience, by reading in immigration-related forums such as IV). The more obvious things that can be found for example in USCIS handbook are not included here. Below is a snapshot of what I have gleaned from Internet so far, and please add your own input(s):

LIST of DO's :

1. Carry the original PR card on your person at all times (e.g. in your wallet), keep photocopies in different places, and also store A# on your computers. Note: This is a contentious issue (do a google on "carry green card" and see for yourself), despite being required by law. Some people are naturally worried about losing wallet and the eventual hassle of replacing the lost card, whereas others, including me, prefer to follow the law, in case I am suddenly asked to produce evidence of my legal status (e.g. in some border states, or unforeseen events, such as being involved in an out-of-state car accident where showing my DL might just not be enough). Failure to comply may result in, at best a fine, and at worst detention for breaking a law. (See comments by InTheMoment below for additional perspectives.)

2. Retain all original copies of USCIS documents related to your legal status during the entire period of stay in USA, and shred all photocopies (except when you have a photocopy but not its original).

3. Retain all employment-related documents, particularly original copies of appointment letters.

4. Retain copies of all tax return forms from the year of your first entry, or (at least) previous 10 years (you can request IRS, or your professional tax preparer, for any missing copy).

5. Maintain a detailed log of USA exit/entry, including dates, POE and countries traveled, beginning with the day of first entry.

6. Maintain a detailed list of all legal troubles, including minor traffic infractions such as speeding violations (ignore parking violations, because they do not constitute legal "detention"), going as far back as possible. Keep copies of all relevant court papers, traffic tickets, proof of any payment (e.g. scanned copies of personal checks used, credit card statements), and so on.

7. Update your social security card to remove any restrictive clause about work authorization printed on it. Note: AFAIK, the procedure changes nothing as far as your privileges go, and some of you may not even have such a clause on your SS card (I don't have it either).

8. Return your I-94 cards to POE on your next trip outside USA, to "close the open files" on your past travels (I do not know what it means though). Note: AFAIK, this is also not required, and besides, you should have the chance to do this while applying for citizenship.

9. Renew DL to get rid of the annoying "Temporary" word (in case you are in one of those states that do this).

10. Update your status with your employer by filing new I-9 form (thanks to InTheMoment for this point).

11. Continue to notify USCIS about change of address within 10 days of moving, as before (thanks to seahawks for this point).

12. Keep a list of current and past residential addresses, including dates of stay. Retain all leases/ownership documents.

13. Remember the basics: Initiate your GC/passport renewal process at least 6 months before expiry/Intl travel (Thanks to pappu for this point.)

14. And yes, move the family first commitment at the top of your must-do list, now that you have less worry about re-entry, and make that long-delayed trip home to see your old folks one more time. (I am visiting my 83-yr old Dad, who still has more hair than I do, and less gray too, in June.)

LIST of DONOT's :

1. Do not sign up for voter registration card. In particular, never vote in national/state/local elections that are open only to citizens, because this is also a law. Even an accidental mistake (e.g. voting out of ignorance) is a serious offense, which would not only derail your future citizenship plan, but may even result in deportation.

2. Do not develop a pattern of frequent and/or long absences from USA, unless you have taken prior permission for valid reasons (e.g., studying abroad, medical emergencies etc). Otherwise you may face trouble at POE on your next re-entry attempt, because DHS has become stricter in recent times about possible misuse of PR status, and POE folks are now trained to spot such patterns.

3. Do not switch job soon after getting GC. This is one of the most discussed, but least understood, issues because no one seems to agree on "how soon is soon". The rule of thumb appears to be "6 months", and a safer bet is "1 year" (here is a thread on another forum). This again relates to USCIS being increasingly sensitive to possible misuse of PR status, and this question will come up during your citizenship application process. (But, as InTheMoment points out below, the issue becomes moot if you invoke AC21.)

4. Those of us who self-sponsored our GC via NIW or EB1A route are not bound by such employer-employee commitment, but you should continue working in "similar areas of expertise" that you claimed in your NIW/EB1A petition, and preferably on a longer time scale.

[This is an evolving list thanks to valuable inputs from folks here and elsewhere, so keep checking back.]

Cheers,
Stuck(no more)InTheMuck
Good post I like it and I probably may follow most of these eventually but, if I think about it, it seems to me lot of stress. Maintaining records from past ten (GC)/fifteen (Citizenship) years is certainly a stressful activity. Except education certificates I never cared for anything in my home country. In spite of taking care of all this, if you get involved in an unfortunate event everything GC/Citizenship goes into vain and back to one.

I am not trying to discourage or depress any one. Itís just a thought.
I-485 - Aug 3 2010-Approved
EAD & AP renewal efiled Jun 6
EAD renewal 2 yrs approved Aug 28 2008 Card received 9/3
AP renewal approved Jul 28
LUD on 485
5/20 ->AR11
9/5 & 9/8
TSC

Old 04-30-2009, 05:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB1A
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/16/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodi View Post
How can I get the clause removed from my SS card?
You can apply for a replacement SS card with that clause removed (point #7 has the link for this procedure) only after you get the green card.
US Citizen Sep '14

Old 04-30-2009, 05:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB1A
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/16/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2_immigrant View Post
Good post I like it and I probably may follow most of these eventually but, if I think about it, it seems to me lot of stress. Maintaining records from past ten (GC)/fifteen (Citizenship) years is certainly a stressful activity. Except education certificates I never cared for anything in my home country. In spite of taking care of all this, if you get involved in an unfortunate event everything GC/Citizenship goes into vain and back to one.
I am not trying to discourage or depress any one. Itís just a thought.
Appreciate your thought, thanks. Maintaining detailed documentation can be a big pain in you-know-where, particularly if I am asked to do it suddenly today (believe me, I am one of the world's leading disorganized blokes). Instead, if I begin to get organized early, the process eventually becomes incremental and stress-free. That is what I wanted to share here, the idea of getting organized early to have a smoother passage of time later (much like invest-today-afford-later philosophy). Unfortunate events are unpredictable, but that should not mean I ignore what I can control
US Citizen Sep '14

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:14 PM
Priority Date
:
May-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/18/2008
Chargeability
:
Sri Lanka
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
04/18/2008
Compare
Kodi has a spectacular aura about Kodi has a spectacular aura about Kodi has a spectacular aura about

Thanks. I already have the GC so I need to get my SS replaced.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2003
Compare
hyddsnr will become famous soon enough

Hi,

Its been two months passed since i got GC. My question is , Is it necessary to stay with employer for atleast six months after getting GC. Would really appreciate if someone helps me out.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2008
Compare
a1b2c3 is a splendid one to behold a1b2c3 is a splendid one to behold a1b2c3 is a splendid one to behold a1b2c3 is a splendid one to behold a1b2c3 is a splendid one to behold a1b2c3 is a splendid one to behold a1b2c3 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyddsnr View Post
Hi,

Its been two months passed since i got GC. My question is , Is it necessary to stay with employer for atleast six months after getting GC. Would really appreciate if someone helps me out.
Yes, I have the same question. Everything is a good practice recommendation. That is confusing.
And I thought it was one year. Is it 6 months?

Old 04-30-2009, 10:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2003
Compare
hyddsnr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1b2c3 View Post
Yes, I have the same question. Everything is a good practice recommendation. That is confusing.
And I thought it was one year. Is it 6 months?

Hi,

I heard it is six months. But someone should clarify whether its 6 or 1 yr. And also it is really necessary to work for 6 months/1 Yr or not??

Old 05-01-2009, 01:04 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2007
Compare
InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future

Kodi,

Go here (Updation of Social Security card after GC), where I have given my experience and some more details on updating ones SS Card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodi View Post
Thanks. I already have the GC so I need to get my SS replaced.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:13 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2007
Compare
InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future

That's interesting...from my visits to various threads and from wait times of my friends (3 to precise) who recently got naturalized, the average time after receipt of N-400 to taking oath is around only 4 to 5 months.

Quote:
Thanks. I have seen this document before, and if we are both looking at the same place (top of page 10), this is an average estimate that sweeps lot of detail under the carpet. USCIS's yearly updates reveal more. As I said earlier, depending on where you live, your processing time can be anywhere between 5 and 15 months. From my visits to several naturalization-related threads, I have rarely seen anybody who became citizen under at least 1 year, going as far back as 2002. You are right, we won't expect another rush now as it was in year 2007 (compare the "Total" number naturalized in 2008 with that in 2007, Table 2, page 3, here). But then, who knows what can happen after 5 years.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:50 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB1A
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/16/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyddsnr View Post
I heard it is six months. But someone should clarify whether its 6 or 1 yr. And also it is really necessary to work for 6 months/1 Yr or not??
I doubt if any one can clarify this question more than what is already said so far. Neither DHS nor USCIS specified the minimum time one should stay with the (GC-sponsoring) employer after becoming PR. At the end it comes down to establishing your intention, that is, making sure your decision does not raise a red flag when USCIS pulls up your employment history later (during your citizenship interview, or if something else triggers a background check, e.g. your employer being investigated for a potential fraud). There are mitigating circumstances that should help if you leave early, such as being laid off soon after becoming PR, or as someone pointed out, if you invoked AC21 while waiting for GC etc. (These are things I admit I do not know much about, as my own GC was self-sponsored.) We are talking intangibles here, and you are unlikely to find any set-in-stone rule.

Having said that, your decision should not (read never) be dictated entirely by how USCIS may interpret your intention. There are other priorities, such as family, that should come first and foremost. After years of letting USCIS be the lord-and-master while we waited for GC, it is high time we step up and take control of our life. Besides, after looking up several threads over quite some time, I did not come across a single case of anyone being denied citizenship, or having GC revoked, on employment history alone. (The biggest deciding factor has almost always been "moral character".) Knowing the importance of this issue, if any of you have read (not heard from a friend of a friend of a friend of a...) a counter example where someone indeed faced problem because of employment, please post the link.
US Citizen Sep '14

Last edited by StuckInTheMuck; 05-01-2009 at 05:03 PM.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB1A
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/16/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheMoment View Post
That's interesting...from my visits to various threads and from wait times of my friends (3 to precise) who recently got naturalized, the average time after receipt of N-400 to taking oath is around only 4 to 5 months.
Good to know, thanks. Maybe we were reading different threads One thing though, because of the heavy rush of citizenship filing in 2007, combined with the election-year pressure of 2008, petitions were fast-tracked in recent years. There are so many confounding factors, anything is possible.
US Citizen Sep '14

Old 05-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
2006-04-10
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
2007-08-04
Compare
suavesandeep is a glorious beacon of light suavesandeep is a glorious beacon of light suavesandeep is a glorious beacon of light suavesandeep is a glorious beacon of light suavesandeep is a glorious beacon of light suavesandeep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Good to know, thanks. Maybe we were reading different threads One thing though, because of the heavy rush of citizenship filing in 2007, combined with the election-year pressure of 2008, petitions were fast-tracked in recent years. There are so many confounding factors, anything is possible.
I can attest to this as well, I know couple of close friends one in NJ area and one in Bay Area CA both of whom got naturalized in 3-5 months time frame. This occurred in the last 2 months so this is fresh data. In both cases the N400 app was approved within 3 months of filing..And the interview was a month later after the approval. Again i just know these 2 guys so my data spread is limited. On other hand i dont know anybody in my circle waiting for a long time on N400.

"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice"

Last edited by suavesandeep; 05-01-2009 at 01:42 PM.