Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Towards Citizenship > Life after Greencard
Click to log in with Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/03/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/03/2007
Compare
dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute
Default Life after GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyddsnr View Post
Hi,

Its been two months passed since i got GC. My question is , Is it necessary to stay with employer for atleast six months after getting GC. Would really appreciate if someone helps me out.
No dude, its not 6 months, it more like 15 years...tough crap dude..you are now a bonded slave....:-(
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB1A
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/16/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheMoment View Post
Kodi,

Go here (Updation of Social Security card after GC), where I have given my experience and some more details on updating ones SS Card.
Good stuff, added the link in my list. Thanks.
Donated $200 (after receiving Green Card)
US Citizen Sep '14

Old 05-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2003
Compare
hyddsnr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummgelauft View Post
No dude, its not 6 months, it more like 15 years...tough crap dude..you are now a bonded slave....:-(

Hi,

Looks like you are used to work as a bonded slave, and expecting same from others. Be a free bird at least after getting GC.

Last edited by hyddsnr; 05-01-2009 at 07:48 PM.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
chiraj has a spectacular aura about chiraj has a spectacular aura about chiraj has a spectacular aura about

I am have been on /off with my pay roll’s. I am still with my Green card sponsored company.
It’s almost 9 months since i got my GC. At the time of citizenship
How does USCIS verify the length of stay with the petition employer? Are they going to see the pay stubs or Length of the stay or a letter from employer….

plz help me.....

Old 05-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
Others
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/04/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare
bhatt will become famous soon enough bhatt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInTheMuck View Post
With my very best wishes to those of you waiting for your GC, this thread is created for the lucky among us who received it recently. I am putting together a list of things to do, and not do, to maintain our freshly minted PR status, which should also help during future citizenship application. The list is mostly about little things that others have learned from experience (and I am learning from their experience, by reading in immigration-related forums such as IV). The more obvious things that can be found for example in USCIS handbook are not included here. Below is a snapshot of what I have gleaned from Internet so far, and please add your own input(s):

[This is an evolving list thanks to valuable inputs from folks here and elsewhere, so keep checking back.]

Cheers,
Stuck(no more)InTheMuck
I didn't think of It. If we had stayed back in india, we don't have have to do any of these. . After GC also no freedom. As one of my american co-worker was telling, In America only the statue of liberty has the freedom.
LC Approved OCt 2006
I-140 Approved Mar 2007
I-485 Receipt Date-> Aug 02 07
First FP ->Dec 28 07
First EAD->Nov 23, 07
Second EAD- Sept 30, 08
Third EAD-?

Old 05-03-2009, 01:17 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB1A
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/16/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute StuckInTheMuck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatt View Post
If we had stayed back in india, we don't have have to do any of these. . After GC also no freedom. As one of my american co-worker was telling, In America only the statue of liberty has the freedom.
The mistaken notion "GC = freedom" seems so pervasive that I am also tempted to take a whack at this much maligned equation. Lot of anguish can be spared by keeping our expectation from this 3" X 2" plastic somewhat grounded in reality. There is no denying that having GC makes life easier than before, specifically by opening up more job/career opportunities. But these have nothing to do with the constitutional freedom that you presumably allude to with your Statue of Liberty analogy (I should say though, as a metaphor this quote of your colleague is pretty lame). Not only GC does not give us the right to vote, it cannot even protect us from deportation risk on relatively minor legal grounds. It is perhaps wise to remind ourselves that GC is a privilege, not a right.

Here is the other thing I do not get. What is so hard to do in the list that raises such heckles of hair loss, back-in-good-ole-days-life-was-better, and whatnot? It is all about doing little day-to-day things such as maintaining documents (that you would do anyway), or carrying PR card in your (already bloated) wallet, and other mostly mundane stuff. I do not find this such a tortuous existence, despite being a lazy bum myself.
US Citizen Sep '14

Last edited by StuckInTheMuck; 05-03-2009 at 09:27 AM.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB1A
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/16/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiraj View Post
I am have been on /off with my pay roll’s. I am still with my Green card sponsored company.
It’s almost 9 months since i got my GC. At the time of citizenship
How does USCIS verify the length of stay with the petition employer? Are they going to see the pay stubs or Length of the stay or a letter from employer….

plz help me.....
Sorry I missed your question before. My take on your situation is that you are good, and do not worry too much about USCIS's way of doing things. Did your company serve you any temporary suspension/reinstatement notice(s) coinciding with these payroll gaps? If not, and I would guess not (because that would reflect poorly on the company's health), your story means that as per your original employment letter, you have been with your employer continuously for 9 months after GC, and presumably longer (you did not say about any plan of leaving them soon), even though you are not being paid regularly. If anything, such payroll discontinuity should help establish your intention of remaining with your employer despite the hardship, if this issue comes up during citizenship interview. On your part, you should keep a detailed log of the dates you missed payments, in addition to all relevant papers (this goes back to DO item #3 in my list).

On your question about how USCIS verifies the length of stay with GC-sponsoring employer, my guess would be that for simple cases, they probably go by the employment letter or W2 etc. (something that has a single start date, and may/not have an end date). But if there are complicating factors, like your payroll gaps, and if USCIS comes to know about them (e.g. you tell them), they may ask your company to furnish evidence of payment history, such as copies of all relevant pay stubs (a simple letter from your employer may not suffice).

Chin up, please. You have your GC, which already makes you privileged compared to so many deserving folks still waiting long and hard. So, go hit the pub, shoot some pool, smell a rose, call up your fiance(e), take family on a Bahama cruise, tweak your boss's nose, kick some butt, write a(nother) check to IV, or whatever it is that you use as a release mechanism from such unnecessary tension

Cheers,
stuck
US Citizen Sep '14

Last edited by StuckInTheMuck; 05-06-2009 at 11:19 AM.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/17/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
andycool is a name known to all andycool is a name known to all andycool is a name known to all andycool is a name known to all andycool is a name known to all andycool is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInTheMuck View Post
With my very best wishes to those of you waiting for your GC, this thread is created for the lucky among us who received it recently. I am putting together a list of things to do, and not do, to maintain our freshly minted PR status, which should also help during future citizenship application. The list is mostly about little things that others have learned from experience (and I am learning from their experience, by reading in immigration-related forums such as IV). The more obvious things that can be found for example in USCIS handbook are not included here. Below is a snapshot of what I have gleaned from Internet so far, and please add your own input(s):

LIST of DO's :

1. Carry the original PR card on your person at all times (e.g. in your wallet), keep photocopies in different places, and also store A# on your computers. Note: This is a contentious issue (do a google on "carry green card" and see for yourself), despite being required by law. Some people are naturally worried about losing wallet and the eventual hassle of replacing the lost card, whereas others, including me, prefer to follow the law, in case I am suddenly asked to produce evidence of my legal status (e.g. in some border states, or unforeseen events, such as being involved in an out-of-state car accident where showing my DL might just not be enough). Failure to comply may result in, at best a fine, and at worst detention for breaking a law. (See comments by InTheMoment below for additional perspectives.)

2. Retain all original copies of USCIS documents related to your legal status during the entire period of stay in USA, and shred all photocopies (except when you have a photocopy but not its original).

3. Retain all employment-related documents, particularly original copies of appointment letters.

4. Retain copies of all tax return forms from the year of your first entry, or (at least) previous 10 years (you can request IRS, or your professional tax preparer, for any missing copy).

5. Maintain a detailed log of USA exit/entry, including dates, POE and countries traveled, beginning with the day of first entry.

6. Maintain a detailed list of all legal troubles, including minor traffic infractions such as speeding violations (ignore parking violations, because they do not constitute legal "detention"), going as far back as possible. Keep copies of all relevant court papers, traffic tickets, proof of any payment (e.g. scanned copies of personal checks used, credit card statements), and so on.

7. Update your social security card to remove any restrictive clause about work authorization printed on it. Here is (Updation of Social Security card after GC)another thread that discusses this point further. Note: AFAIK, the procedure changes nothing as far as your privileges go, and some of you may not even have such a clause on your SS card (I don't have it either).

8. Return your I-94 cards to POE on your next trip outside USA, to "close the open files" on your past travels. AFAIK, this may be more relevant to those who applied for GC via special registration (NSEER), and probably does not matter to others.

9. Renew DL to get rid of the annoying "Temporary" word (in case you are in one of those states that do this).

10. Update your status with your employer by filing new I-9 form (thanks to InTheMoment for this point).

11. Continue to notify USCIS about change of address within 10 days of moving, as before (thanks to seahawks for this point).

12. Keep a list of current and past residential addresses, including dates of stay. Retain all leases/ownership documents.

13. Remember the basics: Initiate your GC/passport renewal process at least 6 months before expiry/Intl travel (Thanks to pappu for this point.)

14. And yes, move the family first commitment at the top of your must-do list, now that you have less worry about re-entry, and make that long-delayed trip home to see your old folks one more time. (I am visiting my 83-yr old Dad, who still has more hair than I do, and less gray too, in June.)

LIST of DONOT's :

1. Do not sign up for voter registration card. In particular, never vote in national/state/local elections that are open only to citizens, because this is also a law. Even an accidental mistake (e.g. voting out of ignorance) is a serious offense, which would not only derail your future citizenship plan, but may even result in deportation.

2. Do not develop a pattern of frequent and/or long absences from USA, unless you have taken prior permission for valid reasons (e.g., studying abroad, medical emergencies etc). Otherwise you may face trouble at POE on your next re-entry attempt, because DHS has become stricter in recent times about possible misuse of PR status, and POE folks are now trained to spot such patterns.

3. Do not switch job soon after getting GC. This is one of the most discussed, but least understood, issues because no one seems to agree on "how soon is soon". The rule of thumb appears to be "6 months", and a safer bet is "1 year" (here is a thread on another forum). This again relates to USCIS being increasingly sensitive to possible misuse of PR status, and this question will come up during your citizenship application process. (Invoking AC21 while GC was pending makes the issue somewhat different.)

4. Those of us who self-sponsored our GC via NIW or EB1A route are not bound by such employer-employee commitment, but you should continue working in "similar areas of expertise" that you claimed in your NIW/EB1A petition, and preferably on a longer time scale.

[This is an evolving list thanks to valuable inputs from folks here and elsewhere, so keep checking back.]

Cheers,
Stuck(no more)InTheMuck
5. When you file taxes Never claim your self as Non Immigrant .

Old 07-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/16/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Compare
easygoer has a brilliant future easygoer has a brilliant future easygoer has a brilliant future easygoer has a brilliant future easygoer has a brilliant future easygoer has a brilliant future easygoer has a brilliant future easygoer has a brilliant future easygoer has a brilliant future easygoer has a brilliant future easygoer has a brilliant future

[quote=InTheMoment;337297]Thanks for the compilation.

That said, with the AC21 portability, once an employee is working in the sponsor company for more than 180 days after I-485 filing (and possibly years before that) the issue of staying on with the sponsor for 6 months to 1 year is a completely moot point!

Good point 'InTheMoment'. I may receive my GC next month or within 2-3 months. If I leave my company (as I have a very good offer which I may lose if I do not accpet) within say 2 months, what problem this may cause at the time of Citizenship? Apart from six months rule, do we have a practical example of someone having trouble geting Citizenship if leave my sponsored empoyer immediately after getting Green Card.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute

Under the list of DOs, once you have GC,

Shouldn't every male 18-26 yrs old with GC needs to register with Special Service (SSR)? isn't that the law? Can anyone shed light on this?

Last edited by transpass; 08-18-2010 at 01:44 PM.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2007
Compare
InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future

Excellent point. It is called the Selective Service System (www.sss.gov), used when the President orders a military draft (like the ones during WW2 and Vietnam war)

You have to register (males only) if you become a Permanent Resident in the ages 18-26; otherwise you could have problems during naturalization (N-400 has a specific question for Selective Service) and securing Federal Student Aid.

Last edited by InTheMoment; 08-18-2010 at 02:08 PM.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:00 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/04/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
skg007 is infamous around these parts
Default Ac21.

What about people who did not file AC21. How do they prepare for Citizenship? Do they need to go back to the previous employer.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
justAnotherFile has much to be proud of justAnotherFile has much to be proud of justAnotherFile has much to be proud of justAnotherFile has much to be proud of justAnotherFile has much to be proud of justAnotherFile has much to be proud of justAnotherFile has much to be proud of justAnotherFile has much to be proud of justAnotherFile has much to be proud of
Post Never carried Passport or H1B

I've live for 15 years in the states and never carried my Passport or Visa Papers when within the country even when out of state. I never got in trouble for that. I don't see the need why I should suddenly start carrying it now.

Of course if I am travelling close to the Mexican/Canadian borders I may carry as extra precaution but otherwise no.
I-485 ND Aug 20 2007
LUD June 26 ,2009
SR Aug 3, 2010
Greened! Aug 5, 2010

Old 08-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/28/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
feedfront has a spectacular aura about feedfront has a spectacular aura about feedfront has a spectacular aura about
Default I remeber all laws of DOs and Dont's..

But, when will my time come to apply??

Old 08-20-2010, 10:45 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future

StuckInMuck thanks for the awesome compilation. I have a follow-up question to the guru's on forum.

I did an AC21 before my GC got approved. I did this on my EAD card and when I joined I filed my I9 form for taxes. Now after getting GC do I need to renew my I9 form or the old one stays valid?

Also since I am not with my GC sponsoring employer do I still need to follow the 6 months rule with my current employer since date of approval?

Also can we move this compilation to IV Wiki?
Called CHC and other law makers
Contacted Local Congressman for support to Immigration bills.