Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Towards Citizenship > Life after Greencard
Click to log in with Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/30/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future

Thanks All-
.. for this valuable information. Best wishes
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute
Default After GC and Before appying for Citizenship

Hi All,

I heard that after gettign GC and before Applying for Citizenship we should stay in US continously for 3.5 years how far is that true.
What is the exact rule? Can someone please guide me thru proper thread.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
justAnotherFile has much to be proud of justAnotherFile has much to be proud of justAnotherFile has much to be proud of justAnotherFile has much to be proud of justAnotherFile has much to be proud of justAnotherFile has much to be proud of justAnotherFile has much to be proud of justAnotherFile has much to be proud of justAnotherFile has much to be proud of
Default Yes and No...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstart View Post
StuckInMuck thanks for the awesome compilation. I have a follow-up question to the guru's on forum.

I did an AC21 before my GC got approved. I did this on my EAD card and when I joined I filed my I9 form for taxes. Now after getting GC do I need to renew my I9 form or the old one stays valid?

Also since I am not with my GC sponsoring employer do I still need to follow the 6 months rule with my current employer since date of approval?

Also can we move this compilation to IV Wiki?
#1 You need to update the I-9 form of verification because previously you employment authorization was the EAD card now your employment authorization is the GC card.

#2 First of all there is no 6 month rule. Secondly even if theoretically there is a undefined period it does not apply to you anymore since you are no longer with your GC filing employer.
I-485 ND Aug 20 2007
LUD June 26 ,2009
SR Aug 3, 2010
Greened! Aug 5, 2010

Old 08-20-2010, 05:39 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB1C
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Compare
go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheMoment View Post
Excellent point. It is called the Selective Service System (Selective Service System: Welcome), used when the President orders a military draft (like the ones during WW2 and Vietnam war)

You have to register (males only) if you become a Permanent Resident in the ages 18-26; otherwise you could have problems during naturalization (N-400 has a specific question for Selective Service) and securing Federal Student Aid.
Given the backlog and mess...i wonder how many will be 26 and below. Mainly applies to family based immigration.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_guy123 View Post
Given the backlog and mess...i wonder how many will be 26 and below. Mainly applies to family based immigration.
Not necessarily....EB GC recipients have kids who might have gotten derivative GCs through parents...

Old 08-25-2010, 10:59 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/18/2007
Compare
MeraNaamJoker has a brilliant future MeraNaamJoker has a brilliant future MeraNaamJoker has a brilliant future MeraNaamJoker has a brilliant future MeraNaamJoker has a brilliant future MeraNaamJoker has a brilliant future MeraNaamJoker has a brilliant future MeraNaamJoker has a brilliant future MeraNaamJoker has a brilliant future MeraNaamJoker has a brilliant future MeraNaamJoker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInTheMuck View Post
With my very best wishes to those of you waiting for your GC, this thread is created for the lucky among us who received it recently. I am putting together a list of things to do, and not do, to maintain our freshly minted PR status, which should also help during future citizenship application. The list is mostly about little things that others have learned from experience (and I am learning from their experience, by reading in immigration-related forums such as IV). The more obvious things that can be found for example in USCIS handbook are not included here. Below is a snapshot of what I have gleaned from Internet so far, and please add your own input(s):

LIST of DO's :

[This is an evolving list thanks to valuable inputs from folks here and elsewhere, so keep checking back.]

Cheers,
Stuck(no more)InTheMuck
Thanks for the detailed information.

I have a unique situation here. My original GC sponsor (a multi billion dollar industry leader) laid me off after 6 months of I485 due to lack of position in the company.

I ported my GC using AC 21 and joined another small consulting company. Now my GC is approved and I have an offer in hand from another company.

Will it be a good idea to move or do I have to wait for 6 months or 1 year before I make an employment switch.

My most important consideration is that there is chance of potential loss of job (may god forbid) with the current position. I may be able to save myself by switiching job right now. And of course there is more money on the table.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:05 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/18/2007
Compare
MeraNaamJoker has a brilliant future MeraNaamJoker has a brilliant future MeraNaamJoker has a brilliant future MeraNaamJoker has a brilliant future MeraNaamJoker has a brilliant future MeraNaamJoker has a brilliant future MeraNaamJoker has a brilliant future MeraNaamJoker has a brilliant future MeraNaamJoker has a brilliant future MeraNaamJoker has a brilliant future MeraNaamJoker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwak View Post
Hi All,

I heard that after gettign GC and before Applying for Citizenship we should stay in US continously for 3.5 years how far is that true.
What is the exact rule? Can someone please guide me thru proper thread.
USCIS - A Guide to Naturalization

Read page 18

Old 08-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
JS2225 is on a distinguished road
Default I-9 question

I am with the same employer who sponsored GC. Until GC was approved I was with H1B visa. Is it neccessary for me to file I-9 after GC?

Old 08-25-2010, 01:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS2225 View Post
I am with the same employer who sponsored GC. Until GC was approved I was with H1B visa. Is it neccessary for me to file I-9 after GC?
Yes. They would need GC copy and they would update their records.
Sent letters to the President and IV

Old 09-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
JS2225 is on a distinguished road
Default Another important question?

Thanks.

I have another question:

If the PERM was filed in a different state should the person move to that state after GC approval? This is under the assumption that the person continues to work for the sponsor company.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/03/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/03/2007
Compare
dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute
Default It is the company's responsibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreal View Post
Yes. They would need GC copy and they would update their records.
Your employer is responsible for keeping a track of your status, not yours. You may provide them a copy of your new status, but you do not have to, unless they ask for it.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/03/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/03/2007
Compare
dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute
Default Take it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeraNaamJoker View Post
Thanks for the detailed information.

I have a unique situation here. My original GC sponsor (a multi billion dollar industry leader) laid me off after 6 months of I485 due to lack of position in the company.

I ported my GC using AC 21 and joined another small consulting company. Now my GC is approved and I have an offer in hand from another company.

Will it be a good idea to move or do I have to wait for 6 months or 1 year before I make an employment switch.

My most important consideration is that there is chance of potential loss of job (may god forbid) with the current position. I may be able to save myself by switiching job right now. And of course there is more money on the table.
You are not with your sponsoring employer anyways, so take the new offer if you want. A piece of advice though, for such critical decisions, it is best to spend some money and consult an attorney, rather than muck about on IV and such. An hours consultation ( which all you should need), will cost you u2 may be 3 hundred dollars, but you will get proper advice.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:45 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2010
Compare
permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute

There is a weekly conf call with attorney Prashanthi on thursday 9 pm EST. In one of the calls I had this question and the answer is that once you use AC21, the most recent company were you are working and where your GC got approved will be your sponsor so u have to stay with that company for 6 months ( the time duration is debated in other threads)

Old 10-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
hoolahoous is a splendid one to behold hoolahoous is a splendid one to behold hoolahoous is a splendid one to behold hoolahoous is a splendid one to behold hoolahoous is a splendid one to behold hoolahoous is a splendid one to behold hoolahoous is a splendid one to behold

you can document (some emails/documents indicating that job loss was possible) that you had to move because of things out of your control, i.e. you had intentions of working but because of situation you had to move, then you will be fine.

same things apply if you are laid off soon after getting GC.
i learned not to make career decisions based on "potential" future problems.

-------------------------------------
i am not a lawyer and don't consider my advice as legal advice.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/16/2007
Compare
gcmangtai is a splendid one to behold gcmangtai is a splendid one to behold gcmangtai is a splendid one to behold gcmangtai is a splendid one to behold gcmangtai is a splendid one to behold gcmangtai is a splendid one to behold gcmangtai is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInTheMuck View Post
5. Maintain a detailed log of USA exit/entry, including dates, POE and countries traveled, beginning with the day of first entry.
First BIG thanks for putting this detailed list of DOs and DONTs.
Question related to # 5. Passports have stamps of when a county is entered US or visiting/home country. I guess my question is, is there any reason/advantage maintaining a seperate log except it would be handy?

Last edited by gcmangtai; 07-21-2011 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Removed other points to save realestate space