Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Towards Citizenship > Life after Greencard
Click to log in with Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 11:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2004
Compare
Svee has a reputation beyond repute Svee has a reputation beyond repute Svee has a reputation beyond repute Svee has a reputation beyond repute Svee has a reputation beyond repute Svee has a reputation beyond repute Svee has a reputation beyond repute Svee has a reputation beyond repute Svee has a reputation beyond repute Svee has a reputation beyond repute Svee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailoor View Post
Hello All IV members,

Received my GC after 12+ yrs of journey.

Nov 2000 - Applied Labor from Employer 1
May 2001 - Changed Employer
Mar 2002 - ReStarted the GC process
Nov 2002 - Applied Labor - EB3 category
July 2007 - Filed the I-485
Sept 2007 - Received the first EAD and AP.
Nov 2008 - Changed the Employer again
Sept 2010 - Changed Employer again
Aug 2012 - Reapplied 4th set of AP and EAD card.
Feb 2013 - Received GC.

After waiting for 12+ yrs and going through multiple stages/process/employers/cities, there was NO much ENTHU / EXCITEMENT when I received the GC card.

Now, I need to really think, what is that I really need to achieve by having the GC for which I waited so long ?.

Wish you ALL good wishes for your GC wait.

I will be part of this team/group forever.
Lost Enthusiasm......I feel the same way too.... Still waiting . But the enthu has faded. There are other more important things in life that takes precedence.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 01:26 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute
Default My thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicy_guy View Post
eb3retro, how do you feel now about your decision on r2i? Adjusted well? Job?
Pretty Happy, happy, as usual, not okay, bad?
Before I answer your question, I will tell you that this depends on case by case basis and in my case I am very happy that I moved because, I am able to go forward in my career though I am lacking a few years that I lost in US. You know how it works in India, people go up the ladder much faster and much quicker out of the technical world. I wanted to be in the management side and my MBA and PMP are definitely been put into use here. Family wise all are happy including me. All in all after 2 years, we do not regret the decision.

Are there few things that we miss from US, definitely yes, but what we were very careful is to not to bring US along with us to India. We knew that will be a disaster and we may come back again. We kept our expectations low and so there were no surprises. So, as I said its case to case basis and it all depends on what your expectations are.

All the best!!!
485 status - Rotting in NSC with a single RFE
Lost H1, working on EAD. Invoked AC21 twice.
Attended DC Rally and contributed to IV many times.
Renewed EAD 3 times and AP 4 times
Total cost from the H1 days (new h1, extension, ead, ap, 140, 485 etc - $22000)
Total cost if I had bought a labor certification those days and having a GC by now - $15000
Not knowing if GC is this worth - Priceless.
R2I'd in Feb 2011.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/26/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
bailoor has a reputation beyond repute bailoor has a reputation beyond repute bailoor has a reputation beyond repute bailoor has a reputation beyond repute bailoor has a reputation beyond repute bailoor has a reputation beyond repute bailoor has a reputation beyond repute bailoor has a reputation beyond repute bailoor has a reputation beyond repute bailoor has a reputation beyond repute bailoor has a reputation beyond repute
Smile EAP / AP process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappu View Post
It is unfortunate that all 2007 folks pay for renewals. Rules were changes after that.

BTW why did you have to do AP renewal twice? Or is it before combo card period?
When my first EAD / AP expired, I still had my valid H-1B visa. Hence, I renewed my EAD first and then after 7 months, I renewed by AP. This made my EAD / AP out of sync.

So, EAD was always renewed for 2 yrs and the AP was for 1 year.

This was all for applicants before the July 2007 period. Now, everyone gets the COMBO card.

Well, I am all done with these stages now.

GREENED.......FINALLY.....

Old 02-27-2013, 03:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Show me where in law or any memo it is written filing AC 21 is mandatory or else your application will be denied.
It is like superstition. People before us did, people along with us are doing and hence we will be doing it even though it may not be required.

Take this comparison; many of us who applied for Alberta/other canadian GC programs applied on their own without going through legal firms. If so why same people wanna hire a legal firm while applying to USA.

Canadian immigration website clearly mentions the steps and states hiring attorney is optional. For US immigration one has to some research and find the way. And after all the research people did not get receipt for EAD/AP in the recent past. USCIS website says call/email if you don't receive receipt in 10 days. But customer support staff on the phone says call after 30 days.

Govt. dept can put a full stop by making their requirement clear. Dept. can very well publish on their website saying AC21 is optional. If they do it then we don't have to follow others. This will reduce the number of application and the burden too for the dept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_aswani View Post
One never know what will happen. After all, the folks at USCIS have the same rule/law book. it depends on what they interpret as following the rule or blatantly dishonoring it.
vijay_aswani, below is example for rule missing. i am sure this should be the individual staff's problem and not the dept problem. But pity thing is when it comes to the loss only the candidate has to take up the loss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter View Post
On Friday, I called the NSC and spoke to L2 officer. The officer told me that it is unreasonable for me to expect a response within 10 days. I told her, it is listed on the USCIS website and I am just following instructions. she still said that 10 days is unreasonable. I also mentioned that I filed the G1145 form for e-Notifications and haven't yet received an text message or an email. she told me to call back next week.
Quote:
Why can't we question everything, ask for proof and do our own research before accepting anything?
Pappu I agree with you 100%. Tell me who is there to answer the questions.
If people working in big corporate raise their voice, then you know what happens in the next cost cutting.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:24 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

RB_newsletter when people get current they call everyday asking for greencard. Do you remember the old POJ method and how it was misused? Do you remember in 2007 how crazy people were for reciept notices and many were even tracking who signed the FedEx package. It just shows how naive and vulnerable we all are. There are million phone calls every month for all kinds of visa types. Some cannot even speak properly and explain. If you are a customer service person what will you do? Many of us will simply try to get the monkey off the back if we are in that position. It is in no way protecting bad customer service but it is the same if you pay a professional to take up your application and find status. It is funny the recently a lawyer approached IV to get help on a case requesting us to contact USCIS.

For many things people can easily fill the forms themselves.
If someone is telling you something, be it friend, lawyer, HR ask questions and find the right answers.

Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Mailing List

===================
I do not give legal advice. You can pay and get it from Lawyers. Just show me some love and click the links above to help ImmigrationVoice any way you choose.
-----------

Old 02-27-2013, 04:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Chandini has a reputation beyond repute Chandini has a reputation beyond repute Chandini has a reputation beyond repute Chandini has a reputation beyond repute Chandini has a reputation beyond repute Chandini has a reputation beyond repute Chandini has a reputation beyond repute Chandini has a reputation beyond repute Chandini has a reputation beyond repute Chandini has a reputation beyond repute Chandini has a reputation beyond repute

Well do NOT cry. I have been filing my EAD/AP since 2004 and H1B since 1999. Before that F1. So i will have a museum at home soon to show my kids and Grand kids one day.
I am still waiting. Renewing and paying for all the renewals. You did NOT add the attorney cost. All attorney cost is taken care by my company.

Except H1B cost is taken care by my company.

Quote:
I did my first EAD / AP filing during July 2007 period. For those applicants filed before July 2007, they have to pay for EAD and AP for every renewal.

All my renewals, I did by myself. Still, it costs 2,200 USD for every 2 years.

Husband and Wife - EAD (Valid for 2 years) - 380 x 2 = 760
Husband and Wife - AP (Valid for 1 year) - 360 X 2 = 720
Husband and Wife - AP (Valid for 1 year) - 360 X 2 = 720
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Expenses for 2 years (USCIS Fees) = 2,200 USD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
For many things people can easily fill the forms themselves.
If someone is telling you something, be it friend, lawyer, HR ask questions and find the right answers.
Pappu, I am not resisting your view and I would like to say again that I agree 100% with you. In fact I filled and filed for my own EAD/AP. I was just trying to explain why people are hesitant for self filing.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:26 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/20/2007
Compare
a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute

Crazy thing is that the tax laws are structured such that a namesake green card is needed even if moving out of the country. A lot of the EB3I backlog would melt away if the IRS updated the tax law.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:07 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.j.2048 View Post
Crazy thing is that the tax laws are structured such that a namesake green card is needed even if moving out of the country. A lot of the EB3I backlog would melt away if the IRS updated the tax law.
You mean people will r2i ? Care to elaborate?

Old 02-28-2013, 11:08 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/26/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
bailoor has a reputation beyond repute bailoor has a reputation beyond repute bailoor has a reputation beyond repute bailoor has a reputation beyond repute bailoor has a reputation beyond repute bailoor has a reputation beyond repute bailoor has a reputation beyond repute bailoor has a reputation beyond repute bailoor has a reputation beyond repute bailoor has a reputation beyond repute bailoor has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Read correctly !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandini View Post
Well do NOT cry. I have been filing my EAD/AP since 2004 and H1B since 1999. Before that F1. So i will have a museum at home soon to show my kids and Grand kids one day.
I am still waiting. Renewing and paying for all the renewals. You did NOT add the attorney cost. All attorney cost is taken care by my company.

Chandini ji,

Please read the whole thread content before you write down the emotional CRY conclusion. If you do not understand clearly, when your Kids/GrandKids say "Children Musuem", you may end up taking them to your EAD/AP//H-1B/F1 "Documents Musuem"...

I responded to one of the member's question ---
" Why does a person need to spend thousands of dollars on a simple EAD AP renewal. It is a simple form. What is so difficult to fill out? "

Members who did EAD/AP filing after July 2007, does not pay for the EAD/AP renewal. When I mentioned EAP/AP expenses, the member was of the assumption - the Attorney fees.

I wanted to explain that the EAD/AP renewal cost was mainly the USCIS fees, not the Attorney fees....
The applicants who filed EAP/AP prior to July 2007 need to pay for every renewal.

Hope you are clear now.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/26/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
Talking Read correctly !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandini View Post

Chandini ji,

Please read the whole thread content before you write down the emotional CRY conclusion. If you do not understand clearly, when your Kids/GrandKids say "Children Musuem", you may end up taking them to your EAD/AP//H-1B/F1 "Documents Musuem"...

" Why does a person need to spend thousands of dollars on a simple EAD AP renewal. It is a simple form. What is so difficult to fill out? "

Members who did EAD/AP filing after July 2007, does not pay for the EAD/AP renewal. When I mentioned EAP/AP expenses, the member was of the assumption - the Attorney fees.

I wanted to explain that the EAD/AP renewal cost was mainly the USCIS fees, not the Attorney fees....
The applicants who filed EAP/AP prior to July 2007 need to pay for every renewal.

Hope you are clear now.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:18 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Chandini has a reputation beyond repute Chandini has a reputation beyond repute Chandini has a reputation beyond repute Chandini has a reputation beyond repute Chandini has a reputation beyond repute Chandini has a reputation beyond repute Chandini has a reputation beyond repute Chandini has a reputation beyond repute Chandini has a reputation beyond repute Chandini has a reputation beyond repute Chandini has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like you do NOT have a job and have all the time in the world. I travel on business so do NOT have that much time to waste.

My kids are in medical college and they do NOT go to Museums like what you predicted.

I have 4 EAD/AP and H1B's to fill and I travel a lot so my company takes care of all the attorney costs for me.

Quote:
Chandini ji,

Hope you are clear now.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/20/2007
Compare
a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk_2000 View Post
You mean people will r2i ? Care to elaborate?
You have to file as non-resident for tax if leaving without GC. This attracts an effective tax rate of 45% for tax deferred accounts. Only way to get Governor Romney's rate is to be able to file as a resident.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:43 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.j.2048 View Post
You have to file as non-resident for tax if leaving without GC. This attracts an effective tax rate of 45% for tax deferred accounts. Only way to get Governor Romney's rate is to be able to file as a resident.
Confused

GCs / PRs pay lower tax rate than Non-PRs?

Old 03-01-2013, 11:51 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/07/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats!!!
Quote:
Hello All IV members,

Received my GC after 12+ yrs of journey.

Nov 2000 - Applied Labor from Employer 1
May 2001 - Changed Employer
Mar 2002 - ReStarted the GC process
Nov 2002 - Applied Labor - EB3 category
July 2007 - Filed the I-485
Sept 2007 - Received the first EAD and AP.
Nov 2008 - Changed the Employer again
Sept 2010 - Changed Employer again
Aug 2012 - Reapplied 4th set of AP and EAD card.
Feb 2013 - Received GC.

After waiting for 12+ yrs and going through multiple stages/process/employers/cities, there was NO much ENTHU / EXCITEMENT when I received the GC card.

Now, I need to really think, what is that I really need to achieve by having the GC for which I waited so long ?.

Wish you ALL good wishes for your GC wait.

I will be part of this team/group forever.