Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Towards Citizenship > Life after Greencard
Click to log in with Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 03:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/19/2007
Compare
mrdelhiite has a reputation beyond repute mrdelhiite has a reputation beyond repute mrdelhiite has a reputation beyond repute mrdelhiite has a reputation beyond repute mrdelhiite has a reputation beyond repute mrdelhiite has a reputation beyond repute mrdelhiite has a reputation beyond repute mrdelhiite has a reputation beyond repute mrdelhiite has a reputation beyond repute mrdelhiite has a reputation beyond repute mrdelhiite has a reputation beyond repute
Default friend asking for a copy of my GC what should i do ?

I have a friend who’s Indian Passport is expiring. He is applying for a renewal of passport and one of the requirement is he needs to provide 2 notarized copies of witness green cards.

( Ref: If your visa has expired and/or or you have the receipt notice for extension of your visa then: NYC, SFO & HOU Jurisdiction Applicants - must provide a notarized no status affidavit with photocopy of the valid passport and the green card of two witnesses duly)

My challenge!! Providing a copy of me and my wife’s green card to friend and he sending this to Indian consulate .. with identity theft and all the legal issues that can arise with unsecured copy of your GC floating around what should I do

Has any one else been in this situation .. recommendations?? Suggestions?? What would you do

I WAS THERE IN DC, WERE YOU?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2014, 05:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
seetheavatar has a reputation beyond repute seetheavatar has a reputation beyond repute seetheavatar has a reputation beyond repute seetheavatar has a reputation beyond repute seetheavatar has a reputation beyond repute seetheavatar has a reputation beyond repute seetheavatar has a reputation beyond repute seetheavatar has a reputation beyond repute seetheavatar has a reputation beyond repute seetheavatar has a reputation beyond repute seetheavatar has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Yes please

Yes please. Please give him your copy of the GC.If possible give him your social security number along with your date of birth accompanied by the following.
1.Your credit card /your wife's credit card along with the expiry date.
2.Please don't forget to include the 3 digits in the back of the card if it is other than amex.If the credit card is amex please include four digits in the front.
3.Your present address and past address for the past 5 years.To be on the safer side give 10 years of your address.
4.Your present and past employers and employers for the past 10 years.
5.Your home address in india.
6.Your checking account number along with the user id and password.(all of it,just squeeze your brain ,you might have opened an account and forgot about it)
7.Don't forget to give him the bank name ,in case you just gave him the account numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdelhiite View Post
I have a friend who’s Indian Passport is expiring. He is applying for a renewal of passport and one of the requirement is he needs to provide 2 notarized copies of witness green cards.

( Ref: If your visa has expired and/or or you have the receipt notice for extension of your visa then: NYC, SFO & HOU Jurisdiction Applicants - must provide a notarized no status affidavit with photocopy of the valid passport and the green card of two witnesses duly)

My challenge!! Providing a copy of me and my wife’s green card to friend and he sending this to Indian consulate .. with identity theft and all the legal issues that can arise with unsecured copy of your GC floating around what should I do

Has any one else been in this situation .. recommendations?? Suggestions?? What would you do

Old 01-26-2014, 05:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/17/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute

Giving your personal details to anyone is very risky. You never know what their privacy process is.

My friend gave my very personal email address to a reputed desi real estate company I was doing business with because it was financial transaction. The IT department of that desi company probably sold all the client emails to other people as NRI email addresses interested in real estate and earned money from selling thousands of email addresses. Now he gets a lot of spam emails every day from real estate developers and agents from India. There is no way he can now stop it. His personal email address is now open to spam.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-10
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
AceMan is a splendid one to behold AceMan is a splendid one to behold AceMan is a splendid one to behold AceMan is a splendid one to behold AceMan is a splendid one to behold AceMan is a splendid one to behold AceMan is a splendid one to behold
Default You should not stop there

Quote:
Originally Posted by seetheavatar View Post
Yes please. Please give him your copy of the GC.If possible give him your social security number along with your date of birth accompanied by the following.
1.Your credit card /your wife's credit card along with the expiry date.
2.Please don't forget to include the 3 digits in the back of the card if it is other than amex.If the credit card is amex please include four digits in the front.
3.Your present address and past address for the past 5 years.To be on the safer side give 10 years of your address.
4.Your present and past employers and employers for the past 10 years.
5.Your home address in india.
6.Your checking account number along with the user id and password.(all of it,just squeeze your brain ,you might have opened an account and forgot about it)
7.Don't forget to give him the bank name ,in case you just gave him the account numbers.
Make duplicate keys of your house, lockers etc and give those too.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/10/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/12/2007
Compare
vshar has a reputation beyond repute vshar has a reputation beyond repute vshar has a reputation beyond repute vshar has a reputation beyond repute vshar has a reputation beyond repute vshar has a reputation beyond repute vshar has a reputation beyond repute vshar has a reputation beyond repute vshar has a reputation beyond repute vshar has a reputation beyond repute vshar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

since your's friend visa is expiring that means it hasn't expired yet. in this case he doesn't need any affidavit so you don't need to provide any gc copy. I have just renewed my passport from DC. I sent all the document just a day before my old passport was expiring with an overnight courier to bls and they accepted it and I got my passport in 5 business days ( surprising ah!!), I mentioned this just in case your friend need some motivation to apply for passport ASAP.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:57 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/07/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
sanprabhu has a brilliant future sanprabhu has a brilliant future sanprabhu has a brilliant future sanprabhu has a brilliant future sanprabhu has a brilliant future sanprabhu has a brilliant future sanprabhu has a brilliant future sanprabhu has a brilliant future sanprabhu has a brilliant future sanprabhu has a brilliant future sanprabhu has a brilliant future

Quote:

Note, the requirement is if the visa expired not the passport. I think people are just scaring you is if you provide the copy it is open season for identity theft.

Please think what if the situation is reversed. If you are not in status for some reason, unemployment etc, then if you need to extend your passport, what would you do?

I think it is Idiotic rules of the Indian govt is the cause of it. Are they saying if there is an illegal Indian citizen and if he/she wants to renew passport they will not do it? What should that person do? Become stateless?

Personally if you trust your friend, please do it. We give copies to lot of places, DMV, mortgage companies etc, we have to have some basic trust in the system...

Also I think, the GC is not tied with any of the other identity like it does not have SSN. Just the date of birth..

My 2 cents

TX IV member

Old 01-27-2014, 08:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Compare
bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanprabhu View Post
Note, the requirement is if the visa expired not the passport. I think people are just scaring you is if you provide the copy it is open season for identity theft.

Please think what if the situation is reversed. If you are not in status for some reason, unemployment etc, then if you need to extend your passport, what would you do?

I think it is Idiotic rules of the Indian govt is the cause of it. Are they saying if there is an illegal Indian citizen and if he/she wants to renew passport they will not do it? What should that person do? Become stateless?

Personally if you trust your friend, please do it. We give copies to lot of places, DMV, mortgage companies etc, we have to have some basic trust in the system...

Also I think, the GC is not tied with any of the other identity like it does not have SSN. Just the date of birth..

My 2 cents
thanks so much the only sane reply that I have seen on this thread. People just blindly answer. It is a requirement from the passport office in case you do not have valid work status. My wife and kid had EAD at some point of time but now they do not. We had to go through the same process. Please help somebody in need ..nothing is going to happen to your identity. People are just scaring you.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:03 PM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Ask your friend if he can do without it. You can help him as the last resort. I don't think it is a big deal. Friends are there to help. You can call someone your friend only when you have some level of trust and respect for that person. Don't worry too much. Your identity can be stolen in hundreds of other ways.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:54 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Compare
bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbawa10 View Post
thanks so much the only sane reply that I have seen on this thread. People just blindly answer. It is a requirement from the passport office in case you do not have valid work status. My wife and kid had EAD at some point of time but now they do not. We had to go through the same process. Please help somebody in need ..nothing is going to happen to your identity. People are just scaring you.
Just to add, as one of the previous posters said, we give several documents in govt offices so often including SSN, and ID and CC as well, this is also one of such requirements. This is also one of them needed for anybody with expired visa or EAD. It is just that it is needed from two witnesses with a GC.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:02 PM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Just to add, as one of the previous posters said, we give several documents in govt offices so often including SSN, and ID and CC as well, this is also one of such requirements. This is also one of them needed for anybody with expired visa or EAD. It is just that it is needed from two witnesses with a GC.
As long as additional options are provided, it is ok. But, if GC witness is the only option, it is stupid and outrageous. What if one doesn't have GC friends (or not willing to provide it)?

Old 01-28-2014, 04:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-10
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
AceMan is a splendid one to behold AceMan is a splendid one to behold AceMan is a splendid one to behold AceMan is a splendid one to behold AceMan is a splendid one to behold AceMan is a splendid one to behold AceMan is a splendid one to behold
Default Good man.

Quote:
If I needed GC copy of my friend he would have given it to me directly, rather than venturing into a public forum for answers.

The person who put the question definitely wanted to know the repercussions of it as he is not comfortable doing it. People would definitely give their opinion of what they consider logical and their personal opinion. Some might be sarcastic, some humorous and few might be direct. When in doubt err on the side of caution.

You had been through the situation and you empathize with the person asking the original poster. My take on the situation is from the op's side and I have a different answer. It does not mean that I blindly answered a question.

How is it for a sane answer?

Old 01-02-2015, 02:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Plain_Speaker is on a distinguished road
Default Help, don't have mock others

This is a forum to help and get help. Giving completely nonsensical reply only show you in poor light. You are unfit to participate in a public forum. Stupid, brainless, idiot. Must be a tester came through CPT/OPT using false cv or through Ameerpet/Hyd route ... having pervasive plasure by screwing other's happiness.