Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Towards Citizenship > Life after Greencard
Click to log in with Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sbob is infamous around these parts sbob is infamous around these parts
Question job change after green card

Hello,

My I485 application got approved on 01 Sept 09 and USCIS sent approval notice on 04 Sept 09. In August 09, when my I485 was still pending, I got my H1b transferred to a new employer. I also received the approval notice for the transfer. The new employer was also planning to file my AC-21 after I joined them in October 2009. Now since I will have my green card by October, I am planning to join the new firm with my green card.

My question is whether my job change immediately after green card may lead to either of these :-
1> Questioning during naturilization
2> Cancelation of my green card.
3> Deportation or other issues.

I have been with my current employer for more than 6 years.

Thanks
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/06/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2007
Compare
div_bell_2003 can only hope to improve

The reason people are usually advised to stay some meaningful time with their GC sponsoring employer is that during naturalization , it might be considered a GC fraud if someone joined a firm for a GC and left immediately afterwards (meaning there was really no intention for the person concerned to pursue the original "job" for which the GC is sponsored). But please remember, these rules are devised without any assumption of GC "backlog" or "retrogression" . I'm not sure what country of chargeability that you belong to, but if the "intention" of staying with the GC sponsoring employer was there ( you were with that firm for ~ 6 years ) , you should not have any problem.

Disclaimer : I'm not a lawyer, please take the advice accordingly.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
prioritydate has a spectacular aura about prioritydate has a spectacular aura about

I changed my job after 1 month...

Old 09-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/03/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbob View Post
Hello,

My I485 application got approved on 01 Sept 09 and USCIS sent approval notice on 04 Sept 09. In August 09, when my I485 was still pending, I got my H1b transferred to a new employer. I also received the approval notice for the transfer. The new employer was also planning to file my AC-21 after I joined them in October 2009. Now since I will have my green card by October, I am planning to join the new firm with my green card.

My question is whether my job change immediately after green card may lead to either of these :-
1> Questioning during naturilization
2> Cancelation of my green card.
3> Deportation or other issues.

I have been with my current employer for more than 6 years.

Thanks
In addition to points mentioned by others, I would like to add that since you were planning to join a new employer in the same/similar occupation, that should help incase someone questions you during naturalization process. Personally, I don't see any issues with your case. If I were you, I would get an expert opinion as well.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
glog is on a distinguished road
Question Changing employer ok ?

Dear Attorney, please suggest

My client decided my current contract position to convert as employee (had been working with the client since 3.5 years) and was trying me to join on EAD. But, I recently (1 month ago) got the GC. Can I join him without affecting the Citizenship application. My GC sponsoring employer does not have any issues if I leave him (worked with him for 5 years).

Upon asking other attorneys, came to know that there's no strict guidelines in terms of specific min stay period with the sponsoring employer, after getting the GC. Please advise how I can avoid any issues related to this.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/12/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Compare
Sri_1975 is a jewel in the rough Sri_1975 is a jewel in the rough Sri_1975 is a jewel in the rough

I changed my job in a month. I have been with my sponsoring employer for almost 6 years and was past due for a move.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
mss007 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Dear Attorney, please suggest

My client decided my current contract position to convert as employee (had been working with the client since 3.5 years) and was trying me to join on EAD. But, I recently (1 month ago) got the GC. Can I join him without affecting the Citizenship application. My GC sponsoring employer does not have any issues if I leave him (worked with him for 5 years).

Upon asking other attorneys, came to know that there's no strict guidelines in terms of specific min stay period with the sponsoring employer, after getting the GC. Please advise how I can avoid any issues related to this.

--------------------Have you joined with your client?........Heard any issues... please let me know