Immigration Voice

Immigration Voice (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/)
-   Life after Greencard (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum95-life-after-greencard/)
-   -   Travel Plans to India after getting GC (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum95-life-after-greencard/523358-travel-plans-to-india-after-getting-gc.html)

wantMyGC 09-08-2009 12:13 AM

Travel Plans to India after getting GC

I got my I-485 got approved and card production ordered last week. Due to some family reasons, I will have to go to India at the earliest for about 1 to 1 1/2 years.

1) Can I apply the re-entry permit after I get my green card or do I need to wait for some time?

2) What should be a good reason for applying re-entry permit?

3) I have been with the GC sponsoring company since I came to the USA in 2001. This company is not doing well for the last 1 year and I have not been paid for the last few months. Seems like this company go out of business any time in the next couple of months. At this point in time, every employee has left and I am the last employee of the company other than the owner. I am very fortunate to get the GC given the company financial conditions.

I had also built a successful part time stocks trading business in the US, which I would like to continue from India during my stay in India. Given all these, can I leave the GC processing company and expand my trading business by forming an LLC?
Thanks for your advice in advance

yganreddy 09-08-2009 01:27 AM

Hi

Below are my suggestions

Quote:

Originally Posted by wantMyGC (Post 858147)
I got my I-485 got approved and card production ordered last week. Due to some family reasons, I will have to go to India at the earliest for about 1 to 1 1/2 years.

1) Can I apply the re-entry permit after I get my green card or do I need to wait for some time?
--I suggest to wait for some more time and let the company layoff so that you will be in safe side while you apply for citizenship.

2) What should be a good reason for applying re-entry permit?
--As you said family reasons like medical

3) I have been with the GC sponsoring company since I came to the USA in 2001. This company is not doing well for the last 1 year and I have not been paid for the last few months. Seems like this company probably out of business any time in the next couple of months. At this point in time, every employee has left and I am the last employee of the company other than the owner. I am very fortunate to get the GC given the company financial conditions.
--If you leave the company as soon as you got your GC it will not be a good note when you apply for citizen ship. IO may be suspicious while USC interview. My suggestion is to wait till your company layoff you and get the letter from them that they are releasing you from the duties because of bad financial conditions

I had also built a successful part time stocks trading business in the US, which I would like to continue from India during my stay in India. Given all these, can I leave the GC processing company and expand my trading business by forming an LLC?
--Make sure you apply taxes and it will be good answer when you are coming back to US as you are maintaining status while you are out.Thanks for your advice in advance

wantMyGC 09-08-2009 01:59 AM

Thanks a million Mr. Yganreddy for your inputs. Here are a few follow up questions.

1) Without leaving the company and by informing my current employer, can I visit India for 5- 6 months starting from Dec 2009 or Jan 2010 when I get my GC in Sep/Oct2009. In the trading, I am able to make a recent amount, which is a good amount in India until I expand my business.

2) Can I form an LLC after 6 months of getting GC? or can I do this bit earlier ?

3) If my employer doesn't lay me off in the next few months, what are my options (including legal options)

4) When I form an LLC related to the trading and investments, my day to day job would be different from my GC approved job profile. Would it be problem during the citizenship process?