Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Towards Citizenship > Life after Greencard
Click to log in with Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/11/2008
Compare
Humhongekamyab is a name known to all Humhongekamyab is a name known to all Humhongekamyab is a name known to all Humhongekamyab is a name known to all Humhongekamyab is a name known to all Humhongekamyab is a name known to all
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikki76 View Post
Taking cue from Pappu's post-how many of us want path to citizen to start from date of 140 approval rather than 485?
Most of us are already in this country for 8-10 yrs. Is there anything we can do collectively to get citizen waiting time to start from 140 approval? That would be a big relief to people who want to naturalize quickly.
I support this idea. Even Australia has some similar rule where part of the time you wait for your PR is used towards your Citizenship wait time.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Compare
ncrtpMay2004 has much to be proud of ncrtpMay2004 has much to be proud of ncrtpMay2004 has much to be proud of ncrtpMay2004 has much to be proud of ncrtpMay2004 has much to be proud of ncrtpMay2004 has much to be proud of ncrtpMay2004 has much to be proud of ncrtpMay2004 has much to be proud of ncrtpMay2004 has much to be proud of

Start the clock at i140 approval or the date when EAD/AP was issued - anything that will shorten the time to apply (after i485 approval) for citizenship is good for our cause as we as a block are eligible to vote. This makes us an attractive to a politician.

The total pending application is about 230K. May not look like much, but think about Minnesota Senate election where the margin vote difference was in the hundreds.

If I assume that only 50% of the cases are concurrent filings (i140+485), we have about 115K i485 applications that had approved i140 by July 2007. So for these people, if we can get the clock started with i140 approval and if they get the green card today, they would be eligible to apply for citizenship and be an eligible voter at the least two years sooner than under the current regulation.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:13 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
jindhal has a reputation beyond repute jindhal has a reputation beyond repute jindhal has a reputation beyond repute jindhal has a reputation beyond repute jindhal has a reputation beyond repute jindhal has a reputation beyond repute jindhal has a reputation beyond repute jindhal has a reputation beyond repute jindhal has a reputation beyond repute jindhal has a reputation beyond repute jindhal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stars and Stripes you mean ;)

Stars and Stripes you mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_dude View Post
You are aiming for the stars here.

There even might be a case where a guy waits x number of years (5 or 10) after 140 approval and becomes eligible for citizenship, but is still waiting for his green card :-)

It's already been 2.5 years since mine got approved. Maybe i'm half way there.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute

I am in all with this idea. So how to get this to Senate?!?!

Old 10-22-2009, 08:42 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/26/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/13/2007
Compare
Nil is a glorious beacon of light Nil is a glorious beacon of light Nil is a glorious beacon of light Nil is a glorious beacon of light Nil is a glorious beacon of light Nil is a glorious beacon of light
Default Citizenship

All,

i believe IV core has considered this idea log back.
However, to change a citizenship laws in a country is way more difficult than to change an immigration law.

This is why, i guess it has not taken off.
If we still wish to pursue, the question is how.

Senior members / core - pls can you comment.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
H1bslave is a splendid one to behold H1bslave is a splendid one to behold H1bslave is a splendid one to behold H1bslave is a splendid one to behold H1bslave is a splendid one to behold H1bslave is a splendid one to behold H1bslave is a splendid one to behold

I beg to differ.
Changes to Citizenship has more ears than GC issues, because Citizenship directly relates to voterbank and GC is a long wait for pliticians to see increase in votes for them, hence your congressman/senator give GC issue a last preference.

my 2c.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post
All,

i believe IV core has considered this idea log back.
However, to change a citizenship laws in a country is way more difficult than to change an immigration law.

This is why, i guess it has not taken off.
If we still wish to pursue, the question is how.

Senior members / core - pls can you comment.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/26/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/13/2007
Compare
Nil is a glorious beacon of light Nil is a glorious beacon of light Nil is a glorious beacon of light Nil is a glorious beacon of light Nil is a glorious beacon of light Nil is a glorious beacon of light
Default Citizenship

Quote:
Originally Posted by H1bslave View Post
I beg to differ.
Changes to Citizenship has more ears than GC issues, because Citizenship directly relates to voterbank and GC is a long wait for pliticians to see increase in votes for them, hence your congressman/senator give GC issue a last preference.

my 2c.
i will be thrilled if that is the case.
Maybe core IV can throw some light on this?

Old 10-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
caliguy has much to be proud of caliguy has much to be proud of caliguy has much to be proud of caliguy has much to be proud of caliguy has much to be proud of caliguy has much to be proud of caliguy has much to be proud of caliguy has much to be proud of caliguy has much to be proud of caliguy has much to be proud of

EB3 folks and some EB2 folks have been waiting forever. We dont know how many days/months/years it will take before we get approved.

Can IV core tell us how easy or difficult it would be to get this provision in?

Old 10-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy View Post
EB3 folks and some EB2 folks have been waiting forever. We dont know how many days/months/years it will take before we get approved.

Can IV core tell us how easy or difficult it would be to get this provision in?
We have not yet worked on this provision as our focus has been on green cards. Our limited means and time can be best utilized on items that help the core issues of IV members and end retrogression. However as our members get green card, the citizenship time issue gains importance. There is also discrepancy between the eligibility times of Family based and Employment based citizenship. If we can have members who got their green cards interested in pushing this within IV, it can become an IV agenda. Such a provision would require lot of work, has to be started from scratch just like we did on country limits and were the first organization to talk about removal of country limits. We believe it will be much easier if green card holder IV members take lead in it. They have far more advantages and reasons to gain from this provision. They can also make political contributions to lawmakers who care about this issue. A regular EB green card applicant is more worried when his labor might clear or when his green card might come without RFE.

Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Mailing List

===================
I do not give legal advice. You can pay and get it from Lawyers. Just show me some love and click the links above to help ImmigrationVoice any way you choose.
-----------

Last edited by pappu; 10-23-2009 at 04:01 PM.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/29/2007
Compare
vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of

People who don't have GC yet should also be interested in this accelerated naturalisation process as this will benefit all. I don't have GC yet, but one day, I know, it will happen then next obvious step is to stand in naturalization line.
Like F-1 students should be interested in H1-B reforms .
I can't speak for others but am definitely willing to participate in this drive.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
RAJ27 is on a distinguished road
Question Visa Bulletin!

Dear Members,

Visa bulletins, how accurate is it? Every month we wait to see the numbers move. I think its better we bring this to the notice of news channels to do a segement on this. Especially the CNN, Keeping them Honest! Anderson Cooper. Why don't we mobilze our support on this and get the right numbers out before the next visa bulletin?

Thoughts and support needed.

R

Old 10-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
caliguy has much to be proud of caliguy has much to be proud of caliguy has much to be proud of caliguy has much to be proud of caliguy has much to be proud of caliguy has much to be proud of caliguy has much to be proud of caliguy has much to be proud of caliguy has much to be proud of caliguy has much to be proud of

@ pappu

Thanks for responding. As vikki76 suggested, this provision will help everyone. I am also willing to participate in this drive. Please let us know how we can help IV with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappu View Post
We have not yet worked on this provision as our focus has been on green cards. Our limited means and time can be best utilized on items that help the core issues of IV members and end retrogression. However as our members get green card, the citizenship time issue gains importance. There is also discrepancy between the eligibility times of Family based and Employment based citizenship. If we can have members who got their green cards interested in pushing this within IV, it can become an IV agenda. Such a provision would require lot of work, has to be started from scratch just like we did on country limits and were the first organization to talk about removal of country limits. We believe it will be much easier if green card holder IV members take lead in it. They have far more advantages and reasons to gain from this provision. They can also make political contributions to lawmakers who care about this issue. A regular EB green card applicant is more worried when his labor might clear or when his green card might come without RFE.

Last edited by caliguy; 10-23-2009 at 08:15 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:59 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/29/2007
Compare
vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of

Now that we have some good ideas on this issue, I think we should move forward on this. With recent EB2 approvals, there should be a critical mass of people available who can at least make this part of IV agenda. Getting voters registered quickly should make all politicians happy.

Last edited by vikki76; 11-05-2009 at 04:02 AM.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikki76 View Post
Now that we have some good ideas on this issue, I think we should move forward on this. With recent EB2 approvals, there should be a critical mass of people available who can at least make this part of IV agenda. Getting voters registered quickly should make all politicians happy.
Please collect as many Green card holders as possible who want to work on this issue. We can guide on the next steps.

Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Mailing List

===================
I do not give legal advice. You can pay and get it from Lawyers. Just show me some love and click the links above to help ImmigrationVoice any way you choose.
-----------