Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Towards Citizenship > US Citizenship and its issues
Click to log in with Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 01:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
Others
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
03/02/2006
Compare
falcyon is on a distinguished road
Default to apply or not to apply for citizenship

Hi Everyone,
here's the details of my I-485/I-130 Case

Married USC - June 2003
Filed AOS - Aug 2003
Had AOS interview - Nov 2005 - no GC on spot due to namecheck delay
Received I-551 Stamp - Aug 2006 (needed due to emergency medical travel)
Received 10 year GC by postal mail - Sept 2006
Approval date on 10-yr GC - Mar 2006
Divorce Date - Dec 2006

Is it recommened to file N-400 application or stay on GC.

Exactly one year after I had my AOS interview, we had divorced. However, even if the GC has validity date starting from Mar 2006, I did not receive the card in mail until september 2006.

During I-551 temporary stamping in Aug 2006 due to urgent travel
needs, I was asked by USCIS officer if "you are still married to the same USC". I replied "yes" to that question as we were still married then. I was reminded that "by penulty of perjury if i am lieing, i can be denied immigration benefit later or something". The divorce proceedings were initiated a month ago from the I-551 stamp date and I wasn't sure USCIS knew anything about it. The final divorce decree arrived in Dec 2006. To my understanding, the date on decree decides the divorce date, not applying for it.

I don't really think that I lied to the USCIS officer and I believe that the law
says that I need to remain married for 2+ years with the USC for LPR status, which was 3 years in my case. But I don't really know how USCIS thinks about it.

Now,i was planning to apply for N-400 in next few months based on the 5-year rule. Since my divorce was finalized within next 7 months of getting the GC and just around an year after having the AOS interview, do I run the risk of jeopardizing my GC if I apply for citizenship. Have asked few lawyers around here and have heard conflicting responses and so am still very confused. Will really appreciate if anyone knows a situation something to mine.

Thanks
Shon
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2010, 01:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/22/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt anyone here would you able to advise you, since most are employment based applicants. Moreover you should really consult a lawyer you trust.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:45 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
fmc is on a distinguished road
Default Focus Group downtown DC $100

JBS International, Inc./Aguirre Division, an independent research firm, is seeking immigrant participants to share their opinions and experiences on the U.S. naturalization process, the perceived benefits and drawbacks of citizenship, and U.S. government resources designed to support immigrants and recently naturalized citizens.

The Immigration and Citizenship Engagement Study is designed to provide information on how immigrant communities understand the U.S. immigration and naturalization processes and how resources developed by the DHS Office of Citizenship to support naturalization can best address the needs of aspiring citizens.

The information gathered will be reported anonymously and will be used to develop recommendations for DHS and the Office of Citizenship on how to provide effective customer-oriented products and services for immigrants and recent citizens.

At this time, we are recruiting for individuals who are currently…

Lawful Permanent Residents
from
Central America

Participants who have had permanent residency for five years or more but are NOT U.S. citizens

Participants who attend a focus group will earn $100.00 for their 1.5 hour participation.

There will be 1 focus group on Thursday, January 27, 2011, at 6:00 p.m. in downtown DC. Focus group participation is limited for each group.

If you are eligible and interested in attending this focus group, please reply to this post and include your:

Name
Country of origin

We look forward to hearing from you

Old 01-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
i4u is a glorious beacon of light i4u is a glorious beacon of light i4u is a glorious beacon of light i4u is a glorious beacon of light i4u is a glorious beacon of light i4u is a glorious beacon of light

Is there a website we can look about this research?

Old 01-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
nj_03_2004 is a splendid one to behold nj_03_2004 is a splendid one to behold nj_03_2004 is a splendid one to behold nj_03_2004 is a splendid one to behold nj_03_2004 is a splendid one to behold nj_03_2004 is a splendid one to behold nj_03_2004 is a splendid one to behold nj_03_2004 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by i4u View Post
Is there a website we can look about this research?
visajourney.com