Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Towards Citizenship > US Citizenship and its issues
Click to log in with Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Compare
gchopes is infamous around these parts gchopes is infamous around these parts gchopes is infamous around these parts gchopes is infamous around these parts
Default US Citizen minor paperwork for travel to India

Hi all,

We just had a baby this past weekend. I will be getting the birth certificate of the baby this week for passport application. However, I understand that the SSN card will come only 60-90 days later. The issue is we need to travel to India after 60 days. Can we apply for the US passport without SSN (or getting a letter from SSN office that the SSN is in-process)? Also, would you recommend a PIO or a visa to India if we need to travel in the next 60 days?

Thanks,

gchopes
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/13/2007
Compare
chaanakya has much to be proud of chaanakya has much to be proud of chaanakya has much to be proud of chaanakya has much to be proud of chaanakya has much to be proud of chaanakya has much to be proud of chaanakya has much to be proud of chaanakya has much to be proud of chaanakya has much to be proud of chaanakya has much to be proud of
Default Shouldnt be a problem

Hi, Congratulations When our son was born, we were in a similar predicament. We had to travel to India after about 60 days. This was the sequence of events..we got the birth certificate after 10 days, SSN after about 25 days. Applied for passport, paid extra for expedited service and got it in less than a week. Went to the indian embassy and person, explained the situation and the got the visa in about 2 days..

Afterwards i found out that the PIO involves less paperwork but i dont know how long that will take ...

Old 04-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future

For my son PIO ( applied in Chicago ) took 17 days to be delivered at my home address. I went to Indian Consulate in Chicago and asked them which way should I go. Visa or PIO and they told me to go for PIO as it is for 10 years and also had very less paper work involved.

If you can wait for another 20 days then go for PIO. Also, I don't know if PIO had any expedite services. Now a days, all processing are premium and ordinary.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Compare
gchopes is infamous around these parts gchopes is infamous around these parts gchopes is infamous around these parts gchopes is infamous around these parts

Thanks for your responses. The hospital staff told us it would take 60-90 days to get the SSN. I am stuck until that arrives because only then can I apply for the passport. Any way to get around it?

Old 04-04-2009, 04:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/28/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchopes View Post
Thanks for your responses. The hospital staff told us it would take 60-90 days to get the SSN. I am stuck until that arrives because only then can I apply for the passport. Any way to get around it?
Call SS office they may give SS on phone or just go and ask them they will give you the number based on which you can apply for passport.

If you apply PIO in person and pick it up in person It will take around week.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2000
Chargeability
:
China
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2000
Compare
a2006 is a splendid one to behold a2006 is a splendid one to behold a2006 is a splendid one to behold a2006 is a splendid one to behold a2006 is a splendid one to behold a2006 is a splendid one to behold a2006 is a splendid one to behold a2006 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
You don't need SSN to apply for a passport for a baby. PIO card takes about two weeks to process in SFO. I dont think there is any fast processing available for PIO.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
haeveingridseyn is on a distinguished road

Hi Everyone..

Thanks for providing this information . I am also searching this type of topic.
Its really helpful to forum members and solve many problem.
Keep it up.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/05/2007
Compare
crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2006 View Post
You don't need SSN to apply for a passport for a baby.
Where did you hear that from? The passport application form has a field for the SSN and I dont think its optional.

We had our baby last month but SSN in IL takes 12 weeks and they refused to give it over the phone. I dont think I have much of a choice but to wait it out till I get the SSN to be able to plan any trip to India to see the grandparents.

If you have any link that states that SSN is optional for passport, please let me know.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/18/2007
Compare
sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future

I second it NO SSN REQUIRED FOR PP. I filled out 000-00-0000 for my son. I believe there was a site or document I looked up and got this info (dont remember where I found it).

You dont need a PIO. If it is emergency or you dont have time, just get a multiple entry visa. For kids at that age it does not make any difference whether they enter on PIO or a visa. Chicago issues visa the same day.

BTW does Indian consulate do background check and issue 221(g)

PS: I live in IL as well and you dont need SSN for kids to get a PP

Last edited by sdrblr; 09-09-2009 at 12:28 PM.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/07/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/22/2007
Compare
vrbest has much to be proud of vrbest has much to be proud of vrbest has much to be proud of vrbest has much to be proud of vrbest has much to be proud of vrbest has much to be proud of vrbest has much to be proud of vrbest has much to be proud of vrbest has much to be proud of vrbest has much to be proud of

Looks like you missed to check it before you went thru hospital. It is always advisable to apply Birth Certificate thru Hospital and apply SSN yourself at the SSN office.. This way you will get your SSN within 2 weeks of you applying SSN. Many times hospital staffs explain this unfortunately you did not get this msg.. You can call SSN office and see if you can get SSN over phone.
Good Luck!
Quote:

Old 09-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sammyb has a reputation beyond repute sammyb has a reputation beyond repute sammyb has a reputation beyond repute sammyb has a reputation beyond repute sammyb has a reputation beyond repute sammyb has a reputation beyond repute sammyb has a reputation beyond repute sammyb has a reputation beyond repute sammyb has a reputation beyond repute sammyb has a reputation beyond repute sammyb has a reputation beyond repute
Post Any experience on PIO from Indian Embassy @ DC

Was wondering how is the experience of getting PIO card from Indian Embassy @ DC. Checked the site and it seems it takes 45 business days for them to issue a PIO card which for any other consulate (SFO/NYC/Chicago/Houston) is around 2 weeks ...

Can anyone share their experience ... appreciate a lot ....

Greened on 07/11/2011 @ TSC

Old 10-19-2009, 06:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
indiandude is infamous around these parts
Default Applying for PIO for my son

Hi,

Can anyone share experience applied for PIO at CGI Houston ? I am planning to apply for PIO for my son. Can you please suggest what are the documents needed ?

Thanks !

Old 10-19-2009, 09:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/10/2006
Compare
sonia_sd is infamous around these parts sonia_sd is infamous around these parts sonia_sd is infamous around these parts sonia_sd is infamous around these parts sonia_sd is infamous around these parts sonia_sd is infamous around these parts sonia_sd is infamous around these parts sonia_sd is infamous around these parts
Default SSN Is Mandatory for Passport

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2006 View Post
You don't need SSN to apply for a passport for a baby. PIO card takes about two weeks to process in SFO. I dont think there is any fast processing available for PIO.
Just currect your statement, SSN is mandatory for Passport issuance. Pls check the current guidelines.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/10/2006
Compare
sonia_sd is infamous around these parts sonia_sd is infamous around these parts sonia_sd is infamous around these parts sonia_sd is infamous around these parts sonia_sd is infamous around these parts sonia_sd is infamous around these parts sonia_sd is infamous around these parts sonia_sd is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrblr View Post
I second it NO SSN REQUIRED FOR PP. I filled out 000-00-0000 for my son. I believe there was a site or document I looked up and got this info (dont remember where I found it).

You dont need a PIO. If it is emergency or you dont have time, just get a multiple entry visa. For kids at that age it does not make any difference whether they enter on PIO or a visa. Chicago issues visa the same day.

BTW does Indian consulate do background check and issue 221(g)

PS: I live in IL as well and you dont need SSN for kids to get a PP
SSN IS Mandatory.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:14 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/28/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiandude View Post
Hi,

Can anyone share experience applied for PIO at CGI Houston ? I am planning to apply for PIO for my son. Can you please suggest what are the documents needed ?

Thanks !
Take duplicate copies of the form. Take your and spouse passports with one copy each. Both you and your spouse needs to sign the form. CGI Houston does not takes the Check so carry the cash.